Sweet Pork Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw

I have found my new “company dinner”. Easy, tasty, and just fabulous. I met this Little Ray of Sunshine a few weeks ago, Summer Elrod, who was distributing a recipe for:

Sweet Pork Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw

Wow. I can’t even fully describe the sweet/saucy/crunchy zing that invades your mouth during your first bite. It’s like Mexican Food with some sass. I’m stumped…………you just have to try it to understand it.

(I begged Summer to let me post this recipe here for all to enjoy…and she sweetly agreed.)

Here is Summer’s exact recipe:

Enjoy.

And thanks Summer. You made our Monday night dinner, perfect. Yum!

Comments

33 Responses to “Sweet Pork Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw”
    becki.campbell says:

Oh my gosh, it’s only 9 am and you have got my mouth watering! I’m going to have to try this one! Thanks for your fun ideas! I love checking them out every day!

That's Yucky says:

You’re so great, thanks for the great review of my tacos. I think you did perfect. Also, I use green cabbage too, it’s cheaper. -Summer

Bobbi Lee says:

Yum, sounds good!

Chicy-Creations says:

These sound absolutely delish! Can’t wait to try these out.

The Mortensens says:

That looks really good, I can’t wait to try it. I’ve got some frozen shredded pork in my freezer and I’ve been looking for a good sauce for it, this will be perfect!!!

Thanks! I love your crafts, I have a list of ones I want to make, they all look so fun.

giddymomof6 says:

OK so this is the first thing i’ve ever seen that comes close to real Mexican Border tacos I used to get as a kid… I make them all the time. But instead, it’s roasted beef, cabbage, guacamole and lime on a flour tortilla. They are soooo good! So I’m positive this is just as wonderful! Jenni

PS my company LOVES “real” Mexican tacos

They not only look good guys, they ARE good. Hurry…….go make them!!! :o)

I’m so glad everyone’s enjoying everything.

Oh, and Jenni, where did you grow up? I grew up in Southern AZ and so I LOVE authentic Mexican food. Mmmmmm…..

giddymomof6 says:

LOL! I’m a phoenician born and raised… now living in england… sigh! LOVE England. Just miss the sun! What part of AZ? We used to go Puerto Pinasco and Cholla Bay at least four times a year. my dad and another guy built a house on the beach there. So, i’m sure we drove right past you to get there! Sigh! Love mexico! And LOVE mexican cooking! Real… like Tamales… Hmm.. I make mean tamales… ooh! And Salsa… ack! okay stopping now! LOL! Jenni

firewife says:

I made these last night only I took the meat out of the sauce and thickened it and we ate the meat on buns. I did not make the slaw but we had chips and cottage cheese and a dill pickle spear and it made great sandwiches. Thanks for the recipe

The O Family says:

I made this for dinner last night. My husband LOVED it. Reminded him of the mexican food he got in California. He said it was the best meal he’d had. Thank you so much.

Christie says:

I had my aunt and cousin over for dinner tonight and made this recipe. It was easy and delicious! It was funny because my cousin said she had this recipe saved from your blog and wanted to make it sometime. The slaw goes perfect with the sweet pork. I will definitely be making this again. Thanks so much for sharing!

Haley says:

I’m going to make this tomorrow… I am so excited! It sounds delicious. I keep checking back to see these so I figured it was time to make them now. I’m sure they will be yummy! Thanks!

amanda says:

Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. I made them yesterday and they were as delicious as advertised! I posted the recipe on my blog and linked back to you :) Also, thanks to Summer…what a great recipe!

bonnie says:

I have made these several times and LOVE them. The kicker is the slaw it just makes the dish. Thank you so much. Ashley, I too grew up in southern Arizona, Safford. Where did you grow up?

The Hughes Family says:

I make the meat mixture almost identical in the cafe rio sweet pork and so one night we have cafe rio sweet pork enchiladas with the cilantro lime rice and then the next night we use the left over pork and i make these tacos with the left over rice as a side! YUMMY!!!!!

The Double Dipped Life says:

Hi! I'm here through Our best bites. If you look at my food blog, you'll find that I'm addicted to cilantro. This looks fantastic and I have to go to the store right now!

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer says:

I have red cabbage in my fridge waiting for the perfect recipe- found it! I love cilantro in 'slaw.

Lisa says:

What is the purpose of Dr. Pepper. Can you leave it out, or what about caffeine free DP?

Angela says:

What if you don't want to use a slow cooker…. can I put all that in my pressure cooker for the same effect? Otherwise, how long would I cook it normally in the oven?? My crock pot freaks me out…. don't ask:/

Adam & Leesha Wickern says:

Lisa- the Dr. Pepper acts as a meat tenderizer. I use Pepsi or Coke for a slow cooked Teriyaki Chicken. I promise, there is nothing wrong with a caffenated Dr. Pepper when cooking meat.

Way to go Summer! You are way awesome!

p.s. if you want a killer roasted chicken recipe Summer is the girl to call.

Summer Elrod says:

If you'd like to cook the pork in the oven plan on around 45 minutes per pound at 325 for a bone-in pork shoulder roast. I take the pork shoulder and sprinkle it with a generous amount of salt and pepper, wrap it in foil, place it in my trusty cast iron skillet and walk away until the meat is tender and the bone falls out easily. Make the sauce on the stove top and reduce until the desire thickness. Combine and freeze any extra.

Tom Bremer says:

Just curious about your sauce… you mention a can of Dr. Pepper but then put 20 oz. Do you mean a bottle or do you mean 12 oz?
    Thanks!

Trish says:

This looks so similar to the fried wonton ones at Applebees. I love those so I'm sure I'll love these too. Thanks for sharing.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmm, out comes the pork and I am making this on the weekend.

Jen says:

Hubby and I do a version of atkins called sugarbusters. So I can use diet Dr. Pepper but what about the brown sugar? Would plain splenda work, do you think? I have the brown sugar blend from splenda but it still has a lot of sugar when talking about 1.5 C's. So would just plain old regular splenda work? The rest is on our diet! yeah! Love your recipes.

Suzanne says:

I made this for dinner recently and must say it was one of the BEST dinners I have made in a while. I even hid the leftovers in the back of the refrigerator so no one else would eat them!! Thank you for this recipe- I can’t wait to make it again!

Helen says:

I just wanted to say thanks for this recipe. I’ve been making it for a couple of years now and it never disappoints. My go to recipe for lazy Sundays and potlucks. Thanks!

Kerrie says:

These are now a family favorite! And it feeds an army!!

KeboKaiser says:

Made the coleslaw today to go with a different recipe for pulled pork tacos. Was an absolute hit with everyone!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] used green cabbage instead of purple, and I’ve adjusted her recipe so many times that I practically could call it my own, and everyone who has ever eaten has [...]

2. [...] I LOVE CILANTRO! It belongs anywhere and everywhere – curry would be lost without it, as would tacos, burritos, samosas, salsas, salad rolls – it doesn’t need to overpower a dish, (which is a [...]

3. [...] man husband goes back multiple times and ends up eating six tacos you know it’s a keeper. Sweet pork tacos with cilantro lime slaw. Even my anti-pork self was impressed. Any recipe that calls for Dr. Pepper you know is going to be [...]