Pail Liner

Okay, can I tell you a sad little secret??

My baby eats thread. Let me explain.

My little guy is always slithering around the house while doing his army crawl and snatches up debris wherever he can. And sadly, he swallows thread. Yup, thread from all of my projects. I am constantly checking his mouth but sometimes the little stinker sneaks little treasures in his fists and eats it later. Or just finds stuff in the most random places. (sigh)

Bad mom…….because someone told me how dangerous it is for babies to swallow thread. (Thanks for the info Christy!!) Supposedly it can get caught in their intestines and such and cut or tear all of that sensitive tissue they have inside of there. So after pulling thread out of his bum during a diaper change (I know, gross)……I committed to be more careful.

My solution?

A little pail…….that I decided to put a liner in.

After I clip anything off, it goes right into the pail.

And really, you could use this technique to line anything. A laundry basket, a fruit basket, etc.

How I did it??

I taped two pieces of paper together so that it would wrap all the way around my little pail. (If you’re making something bigger, tape newspapers together.)

Then I folded it around my pail and creased it over the top and the bottom, making a guide.

Now, you have a pattern to use to cut out some fabric.

However, you’ll need to add another 1/4 inch to all sides and another 2 inches to the top (or more, depending on how big your pail/basket is and how much you want it to fold over the top).

Sew the main section together at the sides (1/4 inch seam) and then pin the bottom on, with right sides together. It’s okay if it doesn’t line up exactly right. If your main section is bigger at the bottom than your circle, just gather it a bit and sew the bottom on (1/4 inch seam). (Well, it can’t be that much bigger……it just doesn’t have to be perfect.) It’ll turn out just fine. Remember, it’s just a pail.

Then hem the top. Just fold over a 1/4 inch and then another 1/4 inch and sew close to the fold.

Place into your pail, fold over the top………

………………….and toss in your thread.

Safe from my buddy’s mouth……… (sigh)

Comments

18 Responses to “Pail Liner”
    Summer and Mike says:

I just made your fabric yo-yo’s into girl hair clips! I just added a button to the top. Thanks for the inspiration.

Amanda says:

Oh no! I had no idea about the thread! My baby Grace sounds just like your Connor and I wasn’t worried about it until now…yikes! Thanks for all your cute crafts – I’m putting a bunch on my to-do list. I love your blog!

Justin &Tammy Taylor says:

Im a “bad” mom also…..my little boy is a slitherer too and LOVES to eat everything off of the floor—thread included. Thanks for the idea. I love your blog! Lots of good ideas.

Henderson Family says:

At least he’s not eating needles. That would really do some damage. I’m sure of it:)

[email protected] says:

Yikes! I didn’t realize how dangerous bis of thread were. Your liner is awesome and would work so well for my laundry baskets. Thanks! I’ll be linking to this.

Christie says:

My little boy loves to eat thread too! Of course, I don’t want him to and I try to keep the floor clean, but I didn’t think it was that big of a deal. Now I will totally be watching much closer. Very cute idea!

RootsAndWingsCo says:

Ooh this is adorable. Who knew thread was so dangerous? Thanks for the tutorial AND the education;)

Danny & Crystal says:

That turned out so cute! I’m sure Conner will be a little sad not to find “treasures” on the floor anymore :)

ratty says:

i don’t have slithering babies anymore but i stuff my thread [tiny fabric pieces, clippings, fuzzies] into one of those 6″ grapevine balls. i hang it near my sewing machine from a curtain clip. sometimes i put dryer lint in there, too :) when it’s full, i hang it outside for the birds to pick through and use for nest building!

Yeah, isn’t it crazy about the thread thing. I never would have thought either. And yeah Henderson family, needles would be BAD. I’m always paranoid about those things dropping. And thanks for the tip ratty. That’s such a useful idea for all of the little “extras” I create. :o)

casserole says:

I wish I had seen this tutorial a few months ago when I was having to figure out how to line a bunch of bushel baskets! I got it all worked out, but yours look so much nicer.

I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing Blog:
    –Anne

angela says:

where did you get that cute pail? and the fabric too? very cute.

Thanks for the link Anne. Love the site!

Angela – I got the pail at the thrift store and the fabric from a local craft store. I’ll have to find the fabric line and let you know.

amylee13 says:

How cute! My son eats thread too. And once a small crap of fleece- oops! I found out that thread is also dangerous for cats for the same reason!

Cardell Family says:

I just discovered your blog and I LOVE it! Thanks for all the easy patterns and good tips. And, don’t worry. I think it is pretty normal for kids to hunt down and swallow whatever they can. My little daughter has eaten her fair share of randomness laying around the floor. I’ll definitely be trying this little pail liner. Thanks!

jaya pratheesh says:

i just found your blog ..i followed the link for hair clippies from ‘be different act normal’.. i’m loving your blog, lots of very easy beautiful things..anyway, when i sew, i wrap a length of scotch tape on my hand like a bracelet..inside out so that the sticky side faces out..and stick all clipped threads on it. then, when i’m done, i can just peel off the whole tape and throw it in the dustbin!

nice pail, by the way.

*Mirage* says:

That's super cute! :)
    My daughter used to slither along the floor searching out those tiny clear rubber bands for hair and eating them. Ugh! Now my son is 1 and teething so he puts everything in his mouth (I think my daughter had almost grown out of it by now?!) and we have those horrible goat head thorns that the car tracks in in her fur and he finds them and mouths them. OUCH! To my knowlege he's never swallowed them. He HAS however swallowed foam stickers (that can't be healthy) and likes to lay down in front of the stove, looking underneath, and snag any nasty food particles that have rolled under my range. Mega yuck!
    The things kids eat. :p

Lori says:

Thank you for posting this! It is exactly what I was hoping to find to try and make a liner for my fruit basket. I can't wait to try it out. Again Thank you so much!