Cloth Blocks

Here you go……..add some more fun to the cloth baby toy collection.

Go on, downsize that scrap box.

What you’ll need to make one block:

• 6 squares of fabric….any size will do. (The block pictured is 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches.)
  • Batting
  • Thread
  • Sewing Machine

**Seam allowance is 1/4 inch for this project.**

Start by cutting out your squares.

Then, sew 4 of your squares together to make the main body of your block.

Then, snip little corners (1/4 x 1/4 inch) out of all four corners of your two remaining squares.

Then pin it to the main body, with right sides together. Fold the little square openings together at the sides, creating a square corner as you pin.

Sew it into place.

Do the same with the bottom but leave one side open so that you can turn it right side out.

Turn it right side and and poke out the corners so that they are nice a sharp/crisp. Stuff with batting. Fill it up pretty well so that the block will hold its shape.

Fold down both sides of the opening a 1/4 inch and hand stitch it closed.

All done.

Now you have a block (or blocks) to accompany your rings.

Comments

36 Responses to “Cloth Blocks”
    Chance and Alisha says:

Hey Ash,
    So today I have just been looking at different blogs (just procrastinating that paper), and I have come across a ton that mention you. It’s like your some hot celebrity (we’ll you are)! Love the blog. In a few weeks hopefully I can start on a few projects instead of writing papers. It was great talking the other day.

Alisha

Chance and Alisha says:

Not just friends blogs but other craft blogs everywhere that refer to your tutorials!

Fabiola says:

ups se borro lo que escribi pero un gran holaaaaaa muy lindo blog me encanta cuando enseñan cosas tan lindas en especial los tutoriales un gran saludo a steve dejo mi blog para que me visiten estaba buscando el traductor y no lo encontre un beso grande linda familia han formado ambos un beso http://fabitorl.blogspot.com/

Hammons says:

Stumbled upon your blog, LOVE it! Congrats on your wonderful creativity. I visit check back often, thanks for some fun things to create.

Rose says:

I’ve actually beat you to the punch on this one lol I made some of these last summer as a baby gift, they’re great!

The Hardy Things in Life says:

Love the blocks, RaeLynn and I made a few just the other day!! I didn’t think the girls would be that interested in them, but them love just throwing them around!! I made one with tags, so much fun!! I also love the rings, what a good idea!! Thanks for all your wonderful ideas!!

Kelsie says:

I just came across your blog and L-O-V-E all of your great ideas! Can’t wait to get started on some of them. Thanks for sharing!

[email protected] says:

Wow, these are fantastic! I would love to link to these if you didn’t mind!

Stacey says:

I can’t believe I haven’t come across your blog before now! I LOVE your stuff- you have a great eye for color!

Marina Capano says:

Hi! nice to meet you!
    I love your step by step!
    Hermosos colores para la composición!

xoxo from far.

Visit me anytime…

Jorgelina says:

Good idea!!
    Muy linda lña conbinacion de las telas.
    Congrats on your wonderful creativity.

Hugs.
    Un gusto pasar.

Brook says:

I saw some cloth blocks for sale that had slots for pictures. My husband reminded me that I bought clear vinyl for your eye spy bag project and that you had cloth blocks on your blog (what do you know… my husband’s addicted too!) You could make photo blocks by using this pattern and some clear vinyl!!! I’m not the best seamstress, but I just might try it!
    (My super creative closet crafter husband also had the idea to put a big D on one side of the photo block with a picture of Daddy, an M and a picture of Mommy and C for our son Carter.)

Brook, what a great idea!! How cute would that be with little pictures on the sides. Or yeah, even letters. That’s totally what I’ll do next time around. You could even sew a vinyl square on one side, but only sew in on the 3 of the sides so that you could slide different pictures in and out and still throw it in the washer. Great!!! Tell your husband thanks!! ;o)

Powers Fam says:

Super cute ideas!!! I’m always saving those tiny bits of fabric thinking that I’ll make something like bean bags out of them. Love the block and rings especially with so many babies coming up in my family.

The Hughes Family says:

Hey Ashley~
    I was also going to mention that you could throw some bells or things that make sounds in the middle of them.

Cynthia says:

Thanks for sharing. Any tips on how to stuff? Mine always come out lumpy!

Cynthia…….try shoving more of the filling in. And then kind of mush it around. But the more filling, them better shape you'll get. Hope that helps!

Marceszosz Gombócosz says:

I sew two of them, one with a little rattle in the belly, and one with many different tags around the edges, but my 8 months old son loves rather the solid, hard things, less the softies. I also made a ring-chain, and i used clattery nylon shoppingbags to fill a few of the rings, for an added effect.

Aliesha & Tad says:

Thanks for the awesome tutorial! I just made one this afternoon. (Pictures here: http://feathersinournest.blogspot.com/2010/02/nursery-project-cloth-cube.html) Thanks for the inspiration!

Keith, Heather and Carsen says:

I love these blocks! my son love a "crinkle" noise. So I put a bunch of plastic grocery sacks in that I have a ton of leftover of and he loves the noise he can make.

Cadiedid says:

I love these blocks! I definitely have to bookmark this (and add it to my growing collection of to-do's). I can't wait to make this for several up and coming babies!

Judy says:

Thanks for posting this! I made a taggie cube for a friend's baby shower, kind of spinning off your cube, and had so much fun with it, I think it's going to be a normal part of gifts I give at baby showers!

The A Team says:

Thank you so much for the tutorial. I made a set for a baby shower gift and they came out really cute. I will post pictures soon, please check them out amalford.blogspot.com

Amy says:

I love this pattern, but I have a quick question. When I make them, they always loose their shape and come out more like blobs than blocks. I've tried more stuffing, less stuffing, but can't seem to get them to look like a cube. Any tips on getting them to hold their shape?

rebekah says:

Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing! :)
    I also added some tags (I love taggy toys!) Take a look at my finished product on my blog :) justfordaisy.blogspot.com

Here's the direct link:

Thanks again – I love your blog :) Good luck with your 'March baby' xx Rebekah

Misty and Eve says:

I did these on my blog also. I did mine with pictures that I had printed onto the fabric. Yours are awesome. I like your fabric. I had seen that fabric at the store but I don't think I would have thought to put it together. Great tute!
    Eve at bumblebliss.blogspot.com

April @ Sewing Novice says:

Thanks so much for the tutorial! I made one for my cousin's son. Here are the pics (http://sewingnovice.com/2011/04/17/soft-baby-block/)

Nikki says:

Looks easy but I had a hard time! Mine always ended up with corners that didn’t match up and two sides were bulgy instead of flat and square…..

Emily says:

Made blocks tonight. Doing matching rings and a matching giraffe tomorrow! Wanting to do a set of matching toys as a baby shower gift! So much cheaper than buying toys at the store, and so cute!

Giang says:

Hi Ashley,
    Just want to say thank you to all of your great posts because it is so helpful and I learn from them so much, especially those sewing tip for beginner like mine. Please keep posting more tip for person half way of the world like mine to learn and share. Just one question, will you create a tip how to sew button holder soon?

Hanie says:

Mine wont meet a the corners too…any tips?

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] for their six month old son.  It was kind of fun to finally pick out boy fabric.  I used the cloth blocks tutorial from Make It and Love [...]

2. [...] and baby showers coming I thought sewn blocks would be a simple place to start. I used this tutorial from Make It and Love [...]

3. [...] Sew your cube using this cloth block tutorial from Make It and Love It. I skipped the step of clipping the corners, because with something so [...]

4. [...] in drool and boogies and all that fun stuff. They aren’t perfect by any means but they work. Here is a tutorial on how you can make your [...]

5. [...] Fabric Toy Blocks and Fabric Baby Rings are something I made so long ago but nothing says LOVE like making some soft [...]