Fort – Table Cover

Elli has a little cover that fits over a card table that my husband’s cute aunt made for her. I fell in love with it and decided to make another one that fits Elli’s little table we have out in our front room. And instead of just a fabric cover…..why not add some necessities; a door, a window, and some garden flowers. That’s how I came up this -

What’s underneath?

This.

Want to make one too??

Here’s what you’ll need: (**Note, instructions are based on my table that is 32L x 26W x 19H inches, so make adjustments if necessary.)

• 3 yards of base color fabric.
  • 1/2 fabric for door
  • 1/4 yard for curtains
  • extra wide, double fold, bias tape (one 3yd package for the doorway and window and then another package for the door.
  • 10 x 10 inch of clear vinyl
  • velcro
  • felt and ric rac for flowers
  • 3 pieces of grosgrain ribbon, 5 inches long.
  • thread
  • sewing machine
  • scissors

First you’ll need to cut out all your pieces. I have added 1/2 inch to all sides for the seam allowance, when necessary.

• Cut a piece that is 27 x 33 inches for the top piece.
  • Cut 2 pieces for the front and back that are 33 x 20 inches.
  • Cut 2 pieces for the sides that are 27 x 20 inches.
  • Cut a door that is 16 inch tall and 14.5 inches wide.
  • Cut 2 curtain pieces that are 8 x 15 inches.

Now, lay the front piece in front of you and cut out a door hole in the center of this front piece, that is 16 inches high and 14 inches wide. Then, cover this raw edge of the door opening with the bias tape. Cut two strips for the sides that are 17 inches long and one strip for the top that is 15.5 inches long. Start with the 15.5 inch piece and one of the 17 inch pieces. Cut off one of the ends of each pieces of bias tape (where the two ends will meet) at a 45 degree angle, like this. (Make sure to start cutting on the fold and cut out and away towards the open ends.)

If you open up the two ends that you’re going to connect, they look like this.

Sew right sides together, in a ‘V’ shape.

Fold back the correct way and you will now have a nice corner. Do this to the other corner of the door opening, attaching the other piece of 17 inch bias tape to the other end of the 15.5 inch piece.

Slide the raw edge of the door opening between the open sides of the bias tape. Pin the bias tape into place and then sew.

Then cut enough bias tape to fit around your door and sew into place. However, you do not need to connect the ends before attaching to the door. Just attach bias tape to the sides of the door and then attach bias tape to the top and the bottom, allowing for enough at the ends to tuck under, hiding the raw edge.

Then attach your door to the door opening, on one side. Make 2 seams along the one side, for added strength.

On the other side, add a folded piece of ribbon to the back side of the door, in 3 different places. Then attach a piece of velcro to the ends of each piece of ribbon. I decided to attach the velcro to the front and back of the ribbon so that Elli could shut the door from the inside of the fort too. Add the opposite pieces of velcro to the front piece of the fort as shown, and then again on the inside, to allow securing the door from the inside too.

Onto the window.
Cut a centered hole on the back piece of the fort that is 9 x 9 inches.

Cut 4 pieces of bias tape, 10 inches each. Attach them at the corners, the same way you connected the pieces for the door opening. Sew into place.

Then pin the piece of vinyl over the window opening, from the back. Sew into place.

Next hem your curtains on all 4 sides by folding over a 1/4 inch, then another 1/4 inch. Sew into place.

Gather your curtain about an inch from the top and pin into place on one side of the widow. Do this to both sides. (No need to make them perfect…just scrunch them a bit.)

Sew into place.

On one of my side pieces of the fort, I decided to add some flowers. Make some flower shapes on felt, cut them out and cut some ric rac that’s long enough, for the stems. Lay the flower parts in place, pin them, and then sew them in place.

You can add more to the other end of the fort. I didn’t.

Now you’ll need to sew everything together. First connect all 4 sides, making sure that they are in the correct order. Now, cut 1/2 / x 1/2 inch squares out of all 4 corners of the top piece.

Then pin the top piece to the sides, with rigth sides together. Fold the little square opening together at the sides, creating a square corner as you pin.

Do this to all 4 corners and sew into place.

Then hem the very bottom of the tent (or you could use bias tape all along the bottom) to finish it all off.

All done. (**REMEMBER TO ADJUST ALL OF THE MEASUREMENTS ACCORDING TO THE SIZE OF YOUR OWN TABLE. These measurements were given as a guideline.)

Let the little ones inside and let their little imaginations run wild.

Filed under Children, Gift Ideas, Miscellaneous, Sewing

Comments

38 Responses to “Fort – Table Cover”
    Kimberly says:

This is great!!! I might just do one for the full size card table…voila an easy to put up or down play house. Any ideas for a more “manly” decoration on the side?

Crystal says:

Im taking this idea and warping it lol. Im doing sections of a barn with velcro animals, a fishing pond with velcro fish, and so much more for my 3 yr old nephew! Thank you for inspiring the idea!

Jeff and Elisa says:

Ash, OMG, OMG, OMG is all I have to say about your adorable Make it and Love it BLOG!!! I promise that everytime I look at it I am amazed with your talent!! Seriously!!! It’s so fun that you share all of your idea’s with everyone too. Can I pay you to get one of those tea bags or whatever you called them? I’m so in love and want a new purse!! Maybe I will look on your etsy to see if you are selling any!

Sawyers Family says:

okay, so I am sitting here with my mouth WIDE open! That table cover, is AMAZING!! Maybe when I have some drive and ambition, I will make one like that, too. But I guess I need a table to put one on!

jodi says:

You continue to amaze me.

Smith Family says:

What a cute idea!! We have the same table too. I will have to add this to my list of things i want to make.

Bobbi Lee says:

AH that is the cutest thing ever!! I am going to have to start on it now in order to finish it in time for Christmas, but I need a good fun project! Thanks so much for sharing!

Rose says:

My son has a little lego table that this would be perfect for! And he is continually building “tents” over the baby swing (yes with the baby in it) with every blanket he can get his grubby little hands on. This is definitely something I am going to make. Seriously, you amaze me that you can come on here every day with a new project! And they are all so do-able. Thanks for all the great ideas!

You guys are SO welcome. I hope you have as much fun as I do. ANd thanks for letting me know what you think. It helps a lot to hear whether the project is a “no-go” or not.

Oh, and Kimberly……gosh, I don’t know. How about a dog out of felt, or a car?? Like it’s parked next to the house?? Hmmmm…..

Elisa……..you crack me up. Sure, I’ll let you know about the bag. :o)

And seriously, thanks to the rest for your support. You make me blush. A lot.

The Hardy Things in Life says:

I love it, that is just too awesome and man where do you come up with all these fun things!! I think I might have to make one someday but first I have to finish the other few things I have started!! But I totally love it!!

Tara says:

Wow. that’s all i’m gonna say! Plus, I had to tell you that I think Elli looks like little Ashley in those pics!

Maren and Blake says:

I am new to your blog and I decided to try this. I have NO sewing experience and I did it. Thanks for the step by step directions. I noticed the boys ties, do you have directions for those?

Giles Fam says:

You never cease to amaze!

LOVE that last pic of Elli. :)

Hahaha…..you guys are too funny.

And sorry Maren, I don’t have a tutorial for the ties. I only sell them in my etsy shop.

Aubrey says:

dang it. why are you coming up with all this super cool stuff that i can’t even use now ‘cuz i’m too old… :( oh well. i guess i’ll be the one making them for my kids…in like 10 YEARS!! so no worries there lol btw, my mom bought some uber cute tea towels, and i think i’m gonna steal them and make them into a purse..

Bonafyde says:

This is an amazing project!!!! So happy I found your blog…so many things I want to try now and this tops the list for me…my boys would love this!

jaordyna says:

Very cute projects! I’m glad I looked- got some baby showers coming up. Thanks for taking the time to share your talents!!!

-Alyssa O.

Brittney says:

Been browsing your blog all day. This is probably my favorite project. So cool. I want to learn how to sew. Need a sewing machine first… any recommendations?

Cam and Chelle says:

Made my own fort for the kiddies this week! I linked to you as well. Thanks for all your great ideas! You are one amazing crafter!!

MissSuzy2 says:

I am so excited that I found your fantastic blog! I am just starting up my own, and I posted pictures of Olivia’s almost finished “Fort” on there. I really appreciate you putting together all these wonderful tutorials. They are so helpful and your ideas are just amazing!! I just wanted to let you know that it’s greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

sewingchick says:

May I just say that you have the best ideas and tutorials E. V. E. R. You are a total crafty genius! I think you should bottle some of that creativity and send some to the rest of us :)

Nikki says:

So, I just used this pattern to make a cover for the freezer that we have outside. It turned out so good! I love your patterns…you are amazing!

Linda says:

Hello, i referred your creations on my blog. You can see them on Playhouse ovvero le casette gioco .
    I hope you like it.
    Hello, Linda

Rachel H. says:

Hey Ash–I am going to attempt this to cover the bottom half of a little loft bed we just bought…I need to brainstorm with your help as to what boyish things I could put…I know you mentioned a car, but how would you do that?? Hmmm…maybe I could do it as a firestation or police station or something…maybe I should just call you… :)You always have such brilliant ideas!

Rachel! THis one may be easier to brainstorm over the phone. You just give me a call anytime. :) But gosh, a fire station or a police station sounds ADORABLE. Seriously call me….

Liza says:

Hi Ashley, thanks so much for this tutorial. I am so glad I found your blog. You have an amazing talent. I made this the other day and my 2 girls love playing inside it. I added a usable mailbox on the other side which was pretty cool for my older daughter. Thanks again! You are inspiring!

Carsmystical says:

wow this is amazing,everytime I go to visit my grandchilden we make a hiddy hole (tent)and we all love it….so now I am going to make this awesome and fantastic Fort Table Cloth.
    Thank you so much for sharing your amazing skills…

Cindy (Carsmystical)

OrganicMama says:

This is just so cute I stuck it into my list of "favorite things" this morning. :) Love it!!

Andi Anibal says:

Thank you so much for the very thorough tutorial! My sister and I had one of these about 30 years ago — made by our Grandma. I’ve recently been thinking about making one for a very dear little 2-year-old, but I’m very bad with the bias tape and details of a project like this. I am so thankful for your generous help!

Isabel says:

Thank you so much for sharing :) I am wrecking my brain searching for low-cost, yet fun diy Christmas presents for my kids. We have a HUGE dining table and I’m thinking this will be the project to finally make a good dent on my stash of fabric!!! I hope i can pull it off and maybe share some pictures :)

Debbie says:

wow! tis will be so much fun for my grandkids! they love a king sized blanket over the kitcfhen table, this will be so much more fun…and jsut for them!

lucyl says:

love it surely my little baby shanelle will love this thanks mam ashley for the idea

layal says:

Brilliant … <3 .. n plx give a like to this page .. http://www.facebook.com/LayasCraft i love it..it is so cool …