Grocery Bag Holder

Are you a grocery bag collector? Use them for mini garbage can liners? To carry picnic lunches in? To throw diapers in before throwing those stinky bombs in the garbage?

Where do you put all of your bags? Need a tutorial for one? Well, here you go.

Now, I know no one really sees these if they are tucked away in a closet…….but maybe it’ll make you smile every time you see it, if you pour your little heart out while making it. Go on and make it with some darling fabric to brighten up that dank closet. Just an idea.

You’ll Need:

• If you want your holder all one color – 1 piece of fabric, 20 x 25 inches. If you want strips like pictured here, you’ll need 9 pieces of fabric, 20 x 3 1/2 inches.
  • 2 pieces of narrow elastic (1/4 wide or smaller). 11 inches and 6 1/2 inches.
  • 1 piece of ribbon – 14 inches long.
  • Thread

If you’re using strips, sew all of them together along their long sides (1/4 inch seams). Iron all of the seams open.

Then, make a casing for your elastic at each end. Turn over the fabric about an 1/4 of an inch and then fold it over again about 1/3 of an inch. Sew really close to the fold so that your 1/4 inch elastic can still fit. Do this to both ends.

Now, thread your elastic through each end and sew each end of the elastic securely to the opening of each end of the casing. Keep in mind, the larger piece of elastic is for the top of your holder (so you can shove many bags in) and the smaller piece of elastic is for the bottom (so that you only pull one bag out at a time).

Next, turn the holder right side out and pin the ribbon (I turned the end under once) into place, about 3/4 of an inch from the top. Sew the ribbon into place several times, making it secure.

Lastly, sew the 2 long sides together, with right sides together.

Hang…………….and stuff.

Filed under Gift Ideas, Home Decor, Sewing

Comments

141 Responses to “Grocery Bag Holder”
    ~Michelle~ says:

My grandma used to make these using dish towels! Great work!

Bobbi Lee says:

So dang cute! I will be making me one of these as soon as I find some spare time!

Nate says:

where do you get your cute fabric from??? –ashlee

The Rowburys says:

This is adorable!!! I wish I knew how to sew!

Cecilia says:

I would be happy to sew one up for you. Let me know what you’d like, as far as the fabric print. Then I can price it for you. A plain print would be $6.00, plus postage. Please visit my store on etsy☺

Joy says:

I love it. Right now my bags are in a old bucket under the sink but I always need bags upstairs…thanks for the cute idea.

Rose says:

I have an ugly one I got as a gift from someone, they bought it at the farmers market and it is all one hideous pattern, you’ve inpired me to spice up my closet!!

Amanda says:

thank you so much I have been wanting to do this but just was quite sure how to pull it off. I love the stripe idea. When I saw this tutorial I gasped. Yea!

Amanda says:

I meant I wasn’t sure how to pull it off.

Katelyn says:

Love this idea! I bought five different fat quarters and had enough for three holders. one for home, one for work, and one for give away! Thanks for all the great ideas :)

Tanya says:

Made one today and it turned out great! Thanks for the tute.

Melissa says:

I made one of these yesterday for my boys room! Its hanging at the changing table ready to take out yuck diapees! :) Thank you so much for posting this tutorial! It was perfect!
    ~Melissa

Erica says:

I was just thinking about making some of these.

Primmy Mommy Creations says:

I was excited to discover this project link, however, my husband is even more excited. It will be nice to get our bags tucked away.

Danica says:

LOVE it and love this blog. Guess what our moms are getting for Mothers’ Day!

Andi says:

I love this! You have great ideas! Thanks so much!

Melissa says:

I did it! I love this idea, it was so quick and easy, thanks!

Tricia @ 5 Little Monkeys says:

I made this tonight, come stop by my blog and check mine out!

teaginny says:

Just made some. I changed it slightly to use just two fabrics. Thanks for the fun tutorial. I linked to it on my blog http://teaginnydesigns.blogspot.com

hollie says:

I am new to sewing and I am trying to get the elastic in the case.. I can't get it.. I know it says to "thread" it but what does that mean? is there a special tool?

Hollie, threading it through means to slide the elastic through the casing. People have their own technique but I just shove a safety pin through one end of the elastic and try making it's way through the casing to the other end. Does that help? If not, or if you have any other questions…..email me at:

[email protected]

Wes and Dani says:

Hey I know this is a pretty old post, so you may not ever see this comment, but I thought you might want to see the grocery bag holder I made from your tutorial.

Thanks!
    Dani

k I have NEVER sewn anything before, and thought this looked like a good tester for the machine my hubs bought me during christmas ( I know, I barely got it out of the boz) anyways I LOVE it! I totally did it without messing up anything horribly ;) thanks for this fun little project for dumbs like me ;)

Cuddle with Aloha says:

love this idea, my parents have one that my mom made but I never got around to asking her how to do it. thanks for the tutorial!

Valerie says:

I've only looked at a few of your posts today, but everything I've seem is totally amazing!

יצירת מציאות says:

i did it it's great idea tnx
    here:

laughterandlunacy says:

I am a total beginner at sewing but I whipped this up yesterday for a original x-mas present. It turned out so cute, thanks for the tutorial!!

Brenna says:

I love these. I've made 2 now as gifts and plan to make many more. I also added a fabric flower. You can see it on my blog at http://lifeofamormonhousewife.blogspot.com/2009/12/grocery-bag-holder.html

Thanks for all your great ideas and detailed tutorials.

Tere says:

I just finished my own grocery bag holder and love it. I posted a pic on my blog. You are so creative! Keep posting and I'll keep following! Thanks so much!

Lipstick Momma says:

I just LOVE this!!! It was so easy to make, and I made TWO right off the bat! I plan on making more as gifts. AND? I got to clean out the cluttered up mess of grocery sacks under my kitchen sink! Yay! Thanks for posting this!

Amie says:

Just made this, loved it!

Emby The Brat says:

THANK YOU — I was dying for one!! I used your tutorial and made it. http://www.makinmommabproud.blogspot.com

Linda H says:

Very cute. I love the stripes! Thanks for sharing the pattern.

Karen says:

Great tutorial and just perfect timing! I just moved and I don't have anything to stuff those thousands of plastic bags I have lying around. I did have an ugly plastic one but that one is history. Thanks for sharing!

a little lovely says:

love this idea!! i NEED to make one of these! thanks for sharing :) i'm going to post this on my blog tom!! linked back to your blog of course :)

ificould says:

Love this! Your fabrics are so cute! I don't know why I haven't seen this before.

I posted a link on my blog: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/2010/06/plastic-bag-holder.html

Thanks!

Melinda says:

I love this..I am tweeting this idea out. My sister knitted me one and I was wondering how I could make a similar bag holder without knitting (since I can't).

Amy says:

Very cute and looks easy enough! Thanks for the tutorial!

Christine says:

Oh my gosh! I think I can handle this.

Angelina Raven says:

what a great idea! I am with @Rose, I have seen so many ugly ones. This one I would be proud to have in the view of others. I am on an Enviornment Board and they were very impressed with your work as well. thanks!

Fruitful Vine2 says:

I did one today following your instructions. Your instructions were simple and easy to follow and the pictures definitely helped. Thank you so much.

Carole and Lee says:

Believe it or not I'm making 2 of these for my sister-in-law for Christmas; per her request. Now I just need to find the perfect fabric.

jen @ homeinthecountry says:

So cute! I made one using scraps from a recent project! Thanks for sharing!

i like your attitude, it's sparky and spritely, and now i'm going to sew a bag holder to jazz up my closet brightly! thanks!

Claire says:

Hello!

Your blog is fantastic! I have been inspired to start so many new projects. Thank you! Would you mind if I linked this article to my blog? I made something based on this, and wouldn't want to take credit for it myself! Thanks.

Claire

Claire -

Sure, link away!

I would like to make a smaller one (for the car). I'm new at sewing so what measurements should I use. Thanks. Sorry such a dumb question.

akwldflwr says:

Christmas gift idea!!! My parents just moved and need some new things for their kitchen, I think this will be perfect.

heather says:

I'm excited to make this and use for Christmas gifts as well. I don't know about your grocery stores but ours (Kroger) will give you $.03 off your total for every plastic bag you bring back and re-use. How easy would it be just to grab this off the hook on your way to the grocery store and then you have savings there too??? Also, many stores recycle their plastic bags so you could take bags with you and then ditch the extras in their recycling bin!

Sandra in Payson says:

Love it, just made a couple tonight, thanks for the measurements! Going to try and make one with different fabrics next time I have the urge to make one of these babies!

Sallyseashell says:

perfect Christmas gifts–thank you fort posting the easy pattern!

Mrs.Katie.S says:

EXACTLY what i needed! Thank you!!!! and yours is cute!!!

deadlieststash says:

This is awesome – thank you for the super easy tutorial!!! I will be making one of these today! Was going to use some plain ol' fabric, but your stripes look so good, I think I'll do that instead and really perk up my pantry :)

Jessica Stier says:

Thanks so much for the inspiration! I saw this post and went right to my sewing machine and whipped one up. Yay! Now my plastic bags are looking good.

Julia M. says:

The only thing I've ever sewed in my whole entire life was bean bags. I did a google search, and your site was the first one to come up. This was not too hard, and I love it! Thanks so much. I'll have to learn to be as creative as you someday. :)

InaMasonJar says:

looks like a great bag, off to make one now. I keep promising the honey that I will get the bags out from the pantry and into one of these! Have a great day!

citiesgirl says:

I always wanted to make one of these and this tutorial makes it look easy. I'm off to the store for some elastic now and I'm going to make that my project for the night. Thank you.

Jen says:

I made this using your tutorial! Here's the blog entry. And I linked you back.

3rdtimeMom says:

Fabulous! Your striped one is very inspiring, just made one. Thanks so much!

Ashley Hawkes says:

I totally just made one of these in all pinks for my baby girl's changing table..I put her dirty diapers in bags so it's so nice to have them handy now!! Thanks a ton, great tutorial! I am going to blog it, I will give you the link when it's blogged. Thanks again! LOVE your blog!!!

joy*us says:

I just made one using your tutorial. thanks so much!

Angela says:

So much cuter than the ones you can buy off amazon or something. Thanks for the idea!

Christina says:

I love it- thank you for the inspiration!! Here is one that I made: http://fromonemommatoanother.blogspot.com/2011/06/plastic-bag-holder.html

Rachel says:

Thanks so much for the great idea and step-by-step tutorial. I just made four of these as gifts using your instructions, and everyone LOVES them!! This is definitely a keeper.

Sarah says:

Thank you! The answer to all my plastic bag nightmares.
    Such a simple design and so well explained that a sewing machine novice such as me managed it!

Sandra Adams says:

Does anyone have the pattern to the plastic bag holder made form fabric that looks like a little sunsuit.
    It’s called baggy britches. Has elastic around the edges of the legs to make a ruffle.

Amy says:

I made this today!! I used 1 piece of cream linen and buttons to decorate the outside. It was my first sewing project ever!! Thank you for the inspiration! (And SUPER easy tutorial!) :)

Robin says:

haha…i just made this and totally forgot to set the strap on before i sewed the tube…i’m such a dork!!

Dawn says:

Thanks for sharing! This has been on my to-make list a long while and I finally made it this morning. It came out too cute and works perfectly…only one bag pulls out at a time. :) Great tutorial!

Katie says:

Thanks! My only problem was making sure my elastic was well stitched. It slipped twice. :)

Casey says:

I loved this tutorial! I made an adorable chicken one for my mom for Christmas and she loved it. Thank you. You can see mine on my blog: http://simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com/2011/12/plastic-shopping-bag-holder.html

Angela says:

This was my first sewing project with my first sewing machine (besides hemming some slacks). I bought fat quarters and did only 6 strips a little wider – it came out great! A great project that has quick results for those a little less patient and not too intimidating. Thanks!

Peter Morrison says:

I would happily pay someone to make this since neither my wife or I can sew

Heather Hughes says:

I’m a newbie at sewing & I just tried this tutorial. I loved it! I love being able to make something that is so useful in the house! Thank you so much for this tutorial. It was put together so clearly. I appreciate your work! :)

Heather Hughes

beth says:

thanks for sharing .. do you by chance have a tute for a clothespin bag?

I am SO making one of these! LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing!

Leanne says:

This is awesome. I made it in under an hour & I love it. Thanks for the easy tutorial….

Lisa L says:

I’ve been wanting to make one of these for a long time. Thank you so much for the tutorial.

Lizeth says:

Love it! I just finished mine:)

Josh says:

I bought my wife a sewing machine (she asked for it). I was thinking this would be useful for socks. I would have 4 of them made, one for black, one for short white, one for long white and one for underwear. I would hang them from the closet ceiling, grab a sock ball every day and underwear.

Thanks for the idea.

What a great idea! My bags are stuffed into a basket which take up way to much space. I’ll make one of these instead :) Thanks for the detailed tutorial

Sarah says:

Just found this and had the perfect piece of fabric for it. I had a fat quarter so I used a bit less elastic. I took the moda ribbon from a jelly roll and used that for the hanger. It was really easy, and fun!

Joy says:

I used this bag for my boys socks. Each boy had their own type of sock. They would pull out 2 socks, I never folded socks.

Lisa says:

Hi! I came by from Pinterest and made this bag tonight! It turned out so great! I’ll be doing a post on my blog about it and linking to this page soon! Thanks for the tutorial!

Marcy says:

Thanks so much for this tutorial! I made one for myself a couple of months ago and I just finished making another one to give to one of my girlfriends. It’s a lot of fun and the directions are very helpful. The only challenge I had was the elastic, but I found a post online that said you could use safety pins to pull it through and that worked like a charm.

Thanks again!

DionneChristina says:

Love love love this! I finally made this yesterday and it came out wonderfully! Thanks so much. Now I have extra space in my hall closet for other crap!

Gabi says:

Great tut! Many thanks, I’ve just made a bag holder out of a tea towel and used the existing seams for the elastic (took me all of 45 mins to put together!) It now matches my kitchen a bit better than stuffed in a drawer.

Marie says:

Thank you for this! I know this is an old post but… I just got a sewing machine for Christmas and this was the first thing I made. It was really easy and gave me a lot of confidence for my new hobby :D For anyone struggling with the threading the elastic thru, what I did was get a wire hanger and undo it so you have a long wire pole. Cut more elastic than it calls for and tie one end in a tight knot to the end of the wire. pull the wire thru the fabric and pin the loose end of the elastic down and then cut off the knot

Izzy says:

I just made one of these for my housemates. Hung it over where we keep the shoes so people remember to grab some bags when they go to the shops. Looks amazing. Thank you so much for a handy tutorial ^_^

Rendi Holm says:

Just finshed making one! Thanks so much for the help!

Stephanie says:

Love your plastic bag hoder! My grandkids (11 y/o girl ad 7 y/o boy) are learning to sew. Last year they made Christmas gifts for the family and teachers. The boy made potholders and the girl made scarfs and throws with the knitting looms. This is a fantastic idea for them to make for their Christmas gifts this year. They will be so excited. (And I have a “milllion” plastic bags to fill them. I will be making me one too!! We use a lot of wash rags for wiping dirty faces, feet and hands especially in the summer when their friends are at my house. What a great idea this would be to put wash rags in, especially around the pool. Same thing for people in assisted living housing, as my mother-in-law. When you stack them they fall all over the place. Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas. I need a notebook of just all your ideas and sewing tips so it will be handy when I need it. (Sometimes just hate to get on the computer and besides when I get on especially on your website – I keep finding stuff I want to do – instead of doing what I NEED TO DO!! (ha ha) Thanks again.

business pr says:

Greetings from Florida! I’m bored at work so I decided to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I love the knowledge you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
    I’m shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not even using WIFI,
    just 3G .. Anyways, awesome site!

Nikki says:

Thank you for this great tutorial. I made one and posted a blog about it. Of course I linked you as well. Check it out ….

Nikki

Linda says:

Thank you for the simple tutorial! I live on a boat and you helped solve a storage issue for us! I plan to make mine with scraps of Sunbrella from other boat projects. I can’t wait to ready your other posts for more ideas!

Gina says:

Instead of elastic on the top I used ribbon like a draw string.

hey_j says:

I made this grocery bag holder as my 1st sewing project! I’m so excited, it turned out great! Thank you for sharing this wonderful tutorial:) What a blessing!

good day! , I enjoy the creating incredibly a good deal! proportion many of us keep up a correspondence additional about a person’s content in Yahoo? I actually require an authority on this household in order to uncover my own dilemma. May be that is definitely a person! Eager for expert a person.

It looks like a traditional pillow of my village. The pillow is just like this grocery bag holder but larger in size and is used to give support to the back while sitting on the floor.

Kaye says:

Thanks for the tutorial! I’ve made several of these and love them!