Cork Board

Here’s the tutorial for the Cork Board.

You’ll need:

• Buy the least expensive wooden frame you can find. (Or, I guess, plastic or metal would work great too.) The one I found was just wood, no glass, no paint, no backing……..making it very inexpensive.
  • Fabric to cover the entire frame, and around the edges. If you decide to use a huge frame, make sure you have enough fabric to cover it. (These really can be made in any size.)
  • Mod Podge and brush
  • Coordinating ribbon, if desired
  • Cork Board, (Mine came on a roll, was pretty thin, and didn’t cost much.)
  • Hot glue gun

Lay your piece of fabric down and lay the frame down over it and trim the fabric down to size. You’ll want enough fabric around the all the edges, to be able to fold it around to the back. Then cut out the center, cutting about a half inch from the inside of the frame. (Leaving enough of a lip to fold over the wood and hide the edge.)

Now, apply the Mod Podge to the front side of the the frame and lay your fabric down, smoothing all of the bubbles and creases.

Then, cut squares out of the corners of the fabric, lining up your cut with the edge of the frame. This will allow for a nice corner when you fold the fabric over.

Now, apply Mod Podge to the sides and fold over the fabric and smooth it down tightly. Do this to all 4 sides and then apply more Mod Podge to the back as you secure down the loose edges.

Now, make diaganol cuts into each corner of the inner part of the frame. Apply Mod Podge to the inner frame and smooth the fabric down and tuck it to the back of the frame.

Now, Mod Podge over all of the fabric and smooth any bumpy spots with your fingers. Let the frame dry completely.

Next, measure a piece of cardboard to fit snugly into the back of the frame where a picture would set. Make sure the cardboard is bigger than the frame opening and goes to the edges of the frame, nice and snug. Then cut a piece of the cork to the same size. You might have to cut 2 pieces of the cork and double it (like I did) if your cork is thin. Hot glue the cork layers together with a minimal amount of glue and then glue the cork to the cardboard.

Now apply glue to that inner lip of the frame, making sure to keep that sticky hot mess away from the front of the frame, where you will see it after everything is put together if you’re not careful. Place the cork in place and press firmly. You are about done. You can now apply ribbon or accessories of any kind.

*NOTE* If your frame was a basic piece of wood, there probably isn’t any hardware to hang it from. I bought a package of 5 Hammer Sawtooth Hangers at Wal-Mart for about $1. They look like this…….

Measure to the find the middle of the frame (so that it hangs straight) and hammer it right in.

Now place your new Cork Board on your desk or hang it on your wall and pat yourself on the back. Not too bad, right? Enjoy.

Filed under Home Decor, Miscellaneous, No Sew

Comments

18 Responses to “Cork Board”
    Rose says:

This is great, I might have to make one for my kids room!

Three Men and a Lady says:

This is the first one that I feel like I might actually be able to do because it involves a glue gun and no sewing involved~ My kind of project!!!!
    SO CUTE!

Me and My Family says:

very cute. Hey I am in charge of a relief society project at church and I my job is to help come up with some project ideas. Do you mind if we use this one?

Tiffany says:

I will be linking from http://mypetitepurse.blogspot.com

thanks!

Nicole says:

Great idea! Do you put modge podge over the fabric or just use it as a glue on the underside of the fabric?

Cook Family says:

Thats funny, I had the same question nicole about the mod podge. Did you do the whole thing? And what kind of mod podge did you use? I am new the the whole mod podge thing.

Cook Family says:

I guess I should clarify. After you mod podge it down did you cover the whole thing on top with mod podge? Sorry I should have read it before I submitted it.

Sorry Nicole and Cook family……I bet that was confusing because there was no picture for it. But yes, you mod podge over all of the fabric on top too. (Thanks for the heads up…..I will go bold that part of the instructions to help others with that part too!)

Thanks and good luck!!!

Cook Family says:

Thanks Ashley. Did you use the hard mod podge, matte finish, glossy finish, or something else? What would you reccommend?

I used the matte finish. Actually that's the only type I've used on all of the projects here on this site. Hope that helps!! And good luck! :)

Franklin Family says:

This project is so cute! It's something I can actually do. Where did you get your frame?

Franklin Family,

I bought the frame at a craft store….it was just the actual frame, no glass or back on it. But you could use any frame really. Check your thrift store and try to find one without any ridges or deep creases in it.

Good luck!

eiggammayflower says:

this is awesome! thanks, I love your site!!! :)

Mama Rockwell says:

Thanks so much for the tutorial. I made one for my kitchen and love it!

Teachnsmiles says:

Love it!!

Gina says:

Where did you buy the cork?

dana says:

I couldn’t find a frame the size I wanted so I went to a hardware store and bought a 10′ piece of molding and had it cut on 45 degree angle into 2- 2′ and 2-3′ pieces and glued them together and used a staple gun to secure it and it worked great