Hat from Sweater

This one is pretty fun for adults and even easier than the last hat tutorial. I totally can’t claim the idea to this homemade hat. I saw it online somewhere but unfortunately can’t find the site I saw it on. So I wrote up some directions as best as I could. If I find the original design, I’ll let you know so you can decide if you like her directions better.

Get one of those old sweaters out of your closet and say your goodbyes. You can do it. It’s just sitting up there all lonely anyway.

If you can’t part with one of your own……grab one of your husbands/roommates/parents/friends, or go to the thrift store and find one there. And then wash it really well. (I have a germ-a-phobic husband who wants to know EVERYTHING that has come in contact with his things.)

Anyway, you can use any type of sweater…..and I think a cable knit would look adorable but we didn’t have any to get rid of. The sweater I had, rolls up naturally at the bottom. Which is kind of annoying while wearing the sweater but turned out pretty cute for a hat brim.

You will be using the bottom of the sweater as the brim of your hat…..then you don’t have to hem your hat or finish it off in any way. And that’s a good thing because I don’t knit/crochet at all and wouldn’t be able to refinish it at all. Maybe one day I’ll take lessons……

So lay out your sweater and measure a 9 inch by 9 inch square. (This is what I needed for my head…….but measure your own head and remember that your sweater stretches.) Make sure you are cutting through both layers of your sweater, as you will need two pieces.

Then pin an arch at the top, where you will be rounding off your hat.

Cut it…..and make sure it’s more rounded than pointy.

Then sew a 1/4 inch seam around the edges, leaving the bottom open. Then make another seam right next to it (towards the outside) to reinforce the seam.

Turn it right side out and try on your new creation. If you have found that it is too tall or too wide, just cut it in a little closer and re-sew. And if you completely butcher it…….throw it away and try using another sweater. :o)

I had some sweater left so I measured my little guy’s head and made one for him. Too easy, too fun, and too cute!

Once my little girl saw all the attention her brother was getting…..she wanted to try the hat on too. What a nut!

Comments

26 Responses to “Hat from Sweater”
    jodi says:

So many good ideas. Can you teach us all when you visit Colorado?

Nikki says:

Adorable!

The Stowells says:

Such cute hats and booties. I feel so retarded when I sit at the sewing machine. It is so impressive the things you make. Way to go Ash!!!

tara.and.ben says:

I really did want to puke with love for this hat! Connor is TOO cute! I wish I had a sweater just like that! Darn!

giddymomof6 says:

WOW! This is so super cute! M’kay, i’ve wandered over her three times now from Melissa’s blog and every time I’m impressed! Way to go! I’ve gotta follow you now!

Alicia Alee says:

Such cute hats! You are adorable.

Three Men and a Lady says:

Uh, is this free?

blessdtwice says:

THANK YOU! This is a great way to make a hat (and simple enough for me to do it!)…I have been looking for patterns as my mom just started chemo…This will be great!

Thanks again!

Linda Z says:

I love this idea!!! Maybe if I do it this summer, I'll be ready for fall! :)

Zimms Zoo says:

I saw a similar vlog. Only we didn't round it. We left the corners and it is pointy and so cute. My 11 and 9yo have made 6 to put in the Christmas box (we make things all year to put in there and then have gifts ready to hand out at a moment's notice.)and we found the sweaters at garage sales for about 50 cents a piece. We are going to attach bells to the corners for some of the girls.

Erika, Kevin & Charlotte says:

what size did you use for the baby?

Erika, just measure the baby's head, and make it a little smaller than that so that it will stretch and fit cozy. I made those hats over a year ago, so I can't remember the exact dimensions of the baby one.

Jennifer Larson says:

I tried to make one of these beanies and it looked great until I turned it right side out.It was all bunchy where I had sewn it. I am guessing it was because I streched the fabric when tring to pull it through while sewing it. But I am not sure how to make it turn out right. Any suggestions?

Jennifer, yes, most likely the bunchy look came from the fabric being pulled too much while being sewed. Try increasing the stitch length so the needle hops over more fabric at one time…..eliminating some of the pulling. Good luck!

Mommy4 says:

Love this hat! It will work great for my older girls, but I need one with ear flaps for the babies. Do you have a tutorial or know where I could find one with ear flaps? I have scoured the internet, but can't seem to find one. Thanks for sharing all your great ideas!

Ali

Mommy4, no, I don't have a good link to one…..but now I want to make one to show you (and others) how to make one. I'll add it to my list! Thanks!

Tracie says:

Would this work in fleece? Or do you think it would get too bulky? I want to make some little fleece hats to match some pants for new twins in my family, but I don't want them to be like outdoor winter hats, if that makes sense.

I have a million thrifted sweaters! I’ve been felting the wool ones to sew purses, but this is a great way to use the unfeltable ones! You are the tutorial queen! Thanks so much!

Jennifer says:

I just love your blog!!!!! I bought some old sweaters from Goodwill last week for their 50% off day and I can’t wait to try your hat ideas….I just hope I can be as clever and creative as you!! Your kids are just adorable and all of the pictures that you post are just sooooo wonderful….I hope you have framed a few for your wall hehe. Thanks so much for being such a wonderful inspiration to us novice crafters :)

debby says:

lovely !

Linda Rae says:

Great idea and fast to! Wool sweaters can be used too, just felt first (wash in very hot water to felt it up), dry, cut and sew. This also makes cute clutches.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] the bottom rim of sweaters makes a perfect hat brim.  (Wanna see a really old tutorial of mine?  Go here.  I turned an old sweater of mine into a hat back when my 2 older kiddos were so itty bitty.  [...]

2. [...] Use this easy idea to stitch a warm hat from an unused sweater. [...]

3. [...] awesome ? Say thanks to Ashley. Tweet (function() { var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = [...]

4. [...] awesome ? Say thanks to Ashley. (function() {var s = document.createElement('SCRIPT'), s1 = [...]