And thanks again Mandy for sponsoring my site. Your skill and expertise is amazing……so thanks for sharing it with all of us!
You can find Quality Custom Designs, along with my other great sponsors, along my sidebars.
Here’s a follow-up to the interchangeable flip-flop post here…….
That was a crazy day and looks like I left a few things out.
First of all, I bought all of that ribbon at Michael’s.
Also, I glued the flowers and bows to the flip-flops………I didn’t sew them.
Next, I don’t have pictures to show the process of the black ruffle flip-flop, but all I did was make the ribbon ‘V’ with the velcro sewn to the bottom side. Then I made another ‘V’ shaped ribbon out of the same black ribbon but madethe length of the ribbon, twice as long as it needed to be to fit on the flip flop. Then I made a basting stitch from the point of the ‘V’ down to one of the ends and left the threads long. Then I made a whole separate stitch starting at the tip of the ‘V’ again, but then down the other end of the ‘V’. Then I pulled the top threads for each basting stitch and created a gather. (Need more help with this concept? Visit this post here.) Then I adjusted the gather to fit evenly right on top of the ‘V’ shaped ribbon with the velcro already attached. Then I stitched all of the layers together, right on top of my basting stitch…….making sure to back-stitch at both ends. That’s it. (Sorry for no pictures.)
Next, the green flower on the zebra ribbon.
(***Please note that there was no science to my method, but I’ll show you exactly what I did. You may have to adjust and adapt as you go.)
….and then added another dab of glue as I attached it right to the flower. (only use a dab of glue at a time….because it sure is easy to make a mess with hot glue if you use too much.)
**As you can see, sometimes I put the twisted section kind of under the edge of the flower, sometimes along the side, and other times a bit over the top. Just play around with it.
Then I cut a piece of felt just a bit smaller than the flower and glued it to the bottom of the flower. This will keep all of the flower together and keep it from pulling apart.
Every flower will kind of look different but just keep at it and they will look just fine.
Lastly, the black fluffy flower on the toddler flip-flops.
…….so that when I opened it up, it looked like a 4 petal flower. (You could just cut out flowers….but this technique took a lot less time. And none of them were perfect or exactly the same size as the next one. So don’t worry about that.)
Then I folded a flower in half, then in half again…..just like the original shape that I had it in to cut it out. And I placed 2 of them together at the bottom tip and made a few stitches in the bottom to keep them together.
Until it looked full enough. (Now there may be an easier way to do this and you don’t even have to curve the pieces into a flower shape. I just liked the curve of each piece, making it look more like a petal.)
This is all you’ll need:
Keep adding leaves until you reach the end of your wire. Test out the length of your string of leaves by wrapping it around your wreath. If you need more, twist another few feet of wire to the end of your string of leaves and continue adding more leaves. Once you have enough wrapped around your wreath, twist the two wire ends of your string of leaves together.
Now, onto the bow.
You may have your own technique…..but here’s what I did. I just began with one end of the ribbon and made a small loop for the center and then made two bigger loops on either side of the center one. (just keep holding the ribbon in place with one hand and make the loops with the other hand.)
Then, pinch the center together and wrap some wire through the center loop and then down and around to the bottom. Twist together tightly. Then add a long piece for the tails. Secure that with more wire.
Then attach the bow to the wreath, at like 2 0’clock……if the wreath was a clock.