Oh. My. Word.

Let me tell you the secret to raising your blood pressure.  And anxiety level.  And how to perspire from every pore of your body.  Here’s the secret —–> sign up to do a little news interview on LIVE television for the new book you wrote.  (Oh, and throw in having a baby recently so that your body isn’t back to normal…..or your emotions, for that matter.)  I’m telling ya…….an interview will do all those things for you.  You know, in case you’re into high blood pressure and sweat and all that.

Haha.

Yesterday, I agreed to do an interview in Denver at the Channel 9 News building on the 10 o’clock show, Colorado and Company, for my book, No-Sew Love.  I walked in the building, totally intimidated (but of course was trying really hard to just play it cool…) and waited for the whole process to begin.  I had my laundry basket of props and my dress-form on wheels, ready to locate the correct set.

IMG_9813

And just like the movies, this place was stuffed with news desks and employees, ready to catch the most current story.

IMG_9783

The show’s producer, Dreux, led me into the back room to finalize a few bits of information and pictures for the segment.  And let me tell you a little something about Dreux.  Every news station needs a producer like this because he was a laugh a minute…..and helped me feel like I had been there 100 times before and was just a part of his team.

IMG_9787

He even let me snoop around and peek at all the cameras.  We even found an employee at some desk somewhere in the building, who was flossing his teeth while on camera.  So, what does one do with that information?  Well, you call that employee and tell him that we’re watching him and that he missed a spot.  Ha.

IMG_9784

But oh yeah, back to the real reason I was there.

Dreux led me to the set and showed me where to set up my props.  The first thing that I noticed was that it was dark and kinda chilly in there.  I knew right away that once those lights came on and the camera began rolling, things would heat up.  (And boy did they!)  But first, I headed over to the tall counter in the kitchen area and began setting up my things.  There would be several other segments before mine on a different set, so after setting things up, I took a seat off to one side of the room to watch.

IMG_9788

Before too long, it was time to take my place.  Dreux attached my microphone and told me were to stand.  And then that big ol’ camera got right up in my face and I knew it was time.  Oh yeah, did I mention that the show was LIVE?  No re-do’s, remember?!!  So, that’s when I started worrying about my props, my hair, what to do with my hands, how to disguise my post-baby extra pounds, where to look, who to talk to, what points to make sure to include, etc.  And those camera men?  They were the best.  They smiled, told me to have fun, reminded me to be myself……all within like 5 seconds of the show starting.  I could hear the commercials running and then suddenly a countdown of 3-2-1.  And then my segment began and I kinda forgot all about that other stuff.  And just chatted with Denise, the host of Colorado and Company.

Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 9.35.31 AM.png

Denise asked questions about my book No-Sew Love and was so sweet and curious — such a great host!  I’ll admit, I knew the questions beforehand…but my tongue got a little tongue-tied at times and my mouth was desert-dry.  And my brain?  I’m not sure where it was hiding on some of those answers.  Gah!  But, oh well, it was still a lot of fun.

IMG_9806

IMG_9803

IMG_9797

And what kind of cool producer walks around the set while the segment is being filmed, and takes pictures with my cell phone for me?  Thanks again Dreux.  So cool to see all the ins and outs of how this all came together.

IMG_9802

IMG_9801

IMG_9800

And just like that, we were done.  And the first thing that came out of my mouth……”Oh my gosh, I’m SWEATING!!”  Haha.

Then, it was time to head back out to the car with all my stuff (and to nurse a hungry baby who had been waiting with Steve and the other kids).  And since I had several things to carry, Dreux and the camera man (forgive me…his name slipped my memory) offered to help carry my things out and may or may not have danced with my rolling dress-form.  I’m pretty sure they didn’t know what else to do with her because they kept asking, “where do I put my hands to hold this thing?  It’s kind of awkward.“  Haha!  Sorry about that!

IMG_9809

If you want to watch the segment, click here.

Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 8.44.46 AM.png

But if you watch, promise me you’ll just ignore my quirkiness.  And my speed-talking.  Oh, and the vain Ashley wants you to know that TV adds like 30 pounds.  Holy smokes!  (Or maybe that’s having a baby and enjoying a few too many midnight milkshakes for 9 months.  You know…..one of the two! ;) )

Thanks again Colorado and Company.  Truly, what an experience!  Thanks for your interest in No-Sew Love and helping a brand new author chat and gab about her beloved book.

Talk to you guys soon!

More about No-Sew Love HERE

book promo 4

Filed under Family, No Sew, No-Sew-Love Book

Comments

47 Responses to “a LIVE TV interview for No-Sew Love (a sure way to raise your blood pressure!!!)”
    Kristin says:

Love it Ashley! So fun to hear you talk about your book and you really did absolutely amazing!

Megan W. says:

OH my gosh!!! This made me so happy to watch! :) You are super cute, and did such a great job! What an amazing experience!

P.S. I’ve been thinking about you guys a lot as my Oliver just started Kindergarten today!

Wow! How exciting for you! You did a great job. Your book is absolutely fabulous!

Kara says:

You did a amazing job!!! Congrats!

Maria says:

Wow, that’s just so amazing! You were great on that show. Can’t even tell you were nervous at all, you really owned the stage. I really need to go buy that book. Great job and thank you for sharing all your wonderful creativity with us!

Allison says:

How fun! You were Fab-U-Lous!

Marge says:

Congrats! Amazing job, just like everything you do:)

Jenny says:

Fun interview. So I have to ask…was the host actually taller then you? or did they have you in a hole?!? :)

Melissa says:

Well done chica, you killed it! I love that you plugged both the book and your new baby ;) You’re definitely glowing from both beautiful accomplishments. Congrats!!

Kayla says:

Congrats! It was great.

Brandy says:

I think you did fabulous!! And you looked gorgeous—not sweaty or nervous at all! I agree with the dang camera though. I look in the mirror and am “ok” with the extra pounds I’ve put on after having four kids, but then I see a photo or video of myself and it sickens me!

Emma says:

Wow! You did a great job! I could tell that you were nervous at all. :)

Tammy Mattson says:

Ashley you are wonderful. if you hadn’t written that you were nervous I never would have known. You sound so cheerful. I love to sew but you’ve inspired me to try some non sewn crafts!

Lauren says:

You did GREAT! These look SO fun!

Robin says:

Great to now have a voice to go with your face. You did an amazing job on the tv segment. Looked like a pro!!

Elisa Schaub says:

Ash, you are the absolute cutest!!!! You looked gorgeous too and like a complete model with your super long thick hair! I seriously just wanted to jump on set and hang out like old times. I’m tellin’ ya…your bubbly, fun personality will always be one of my most favorites! I just miss you more now and want to play…I’m packing up the car and coming to CO! LOVE YOU!!
    P.S. I agree with everyone else…you held your own and didn’t look nervous at all! :)

Michaela says:

Ashley, I’m really fascinated how professional and charming you managed this job! I love your projects and creative ideas! For sure ‘No sew love’ will be a bestseller…

Maggie says:

Ashley, you did AWESOME! You ROCKED that interview. I love your blog, love your fun sense of humor, love your cute little kiddos and your many, many creative yet do-able projects… you’re awesome. And you look BEAUTIFUL! Go get ‘em girl!

Amanda says:

Haha so the first thing I thought was “Holy smokes that lady is taller than Ashley!”

I bet she’s got heels on though. :)

Heather says:

Ashley, you looked beautiful and did such an awesome job! How fun it was to see you!

Alice says:

Congratulations!! Ashley, you did a wonderful job on the show – and I enjoyed your pictures, showing what the TV studio and your experience were like. Thanks sooooooooooo much for sharing it will all of us!

Paulette S says:

That is so Awesome, Ashley! Congrats on your TV debut. I’m a sewer and was really thinking there will be nothing in this book for me, but I totally love crafty things like your quick scarf. I will have to give your book a closer look because sewing does take more time. LOL (((((crafty hugs)))))

Lacey F says:

You look great and you did a wonderful job!

Angie says:

Ashley, Thanks for posting the link to the interview. Here in Ohio I would have had no way of watching :) You did an EXCELLENT job and are just as personable on TV as your sweet blog portrays you. As for how your “Vain Ashley” wants to be viewed you are quite lovely and should cut yourself some serious slack you did JUST HAVE A BABY!!!!

Ashley, you look great! And I love the book.

Debbie J. says:

Ashley, you did a wonderful job on the interview! It looked like you were an old pro at being on tv. I can’t wait until I find your book.

Jessica says:

Ashley, you did real well. Congratulations on this piece, book and baby. Ordering your book now. Love your blog.

Sami says:

Congratulations, I can imagine any TV novice being as nervous as you were! Well done.

Carly says:

Fantastic job! Watched the clip…you did awesome! :o)

Jenny Z says:

Great job!!

Terrie says:

Congratulations!! That is so cool :) You did a great job on camera, and I love all the behind the scenes photos!

Alie says:

You did an awesome job and you looked great too!

katy says:

Awesome! You did great! I love your blog and loved seeing you in action! Congrats again on your new book!!

Manu says:

Congratulation Ashley, I just watched the clip and you did a great job! It’s really nice to see you in action and your lovely smile and enthusiasm are contagious :) I’m sure you inspired a lot of people who watched the show to start crafting.

Julie T. says:

So fun to see that you’re a REAL person!!! Love it!

Kristina Noall says:

If you haven’t heard it enough yet, you did GREAT! You seemed comfortable and at ease. Look at you, all on TV and stuff!! Congratulations on your success–you deserve it!

Sara says:

Congratulations! You did a great job. I love your blog and your book looks fun.

Renee says:

Just watched your clip – thanks for posting, we wouldn’t have seen it here in Australia, otherwise. Great job, well done, I’m sure you will be inundated with sales for your new book! All the best, you deserve it!

Mary says:

You ROCKED it girl! Next thing for you . . . tv show! You were a natural!

fran says:

Just watched your clip, amazing, like everything else you do.

Preethi says:

Wow thats great! Many congratulations to you. You were just so real and no nerves seen there.

Paris Romero says:

You are FANTASTIC! You don’t appear to be nervous, or dry mouthed, AT ALL. Your public presence is GREAT. You no longer have to worry about it. As you gain experience, you will gain confidence. Just know that your on-stage presence is wonderful, warm, and charming. Beautiful job! Applause.

Jenny says:

You did great! And you look beautiful. :)

Kristen says:

You rock!! Great job!

Erin says:

Woah! How did I not know you live in Colorado?! Congrats on the segment! That’s awesome!

That is super exciting! I’m glad that in spite of the anxiety you seem to have had an enjoyable time. Congrats! :)