Happy 4th!! …and baby #4 is on his way!!

Wow!  I don’t know if it’s the pregnancy hormones but I’m feeling extra sappy and grateful for our country this week.  Especially for servicemen/women who choose to protect our country and secure our freedom.  That cannot be an easy thing to do.  Even though our country has turmoil and drama and issues of every kind…..I really love the foundation of America….and all it stands for.  It makes my heart swell!

And I’m so happy to attend parades and fireworks and picnics today, with our flag proudly flapping outside by our front door……in honor of the U.S.A.!!!

IMG_7819-670x446. . . . .

Onto something else that’s causing issues in the hormone department — this baby boy in my belly.

I shared on Instagram (I kinda love that Instagram place), that I went to an appointment a little over a week ago (at 37 weeks pregnant), and apparently, this baby boy of ours, well, has big feet.

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 9.02.09 AM

The U.S. tech kinda laughed and said, “Woah, his feet are already 8 cm!“  I looked at her kinda confused, not easily able to compute to inches, and asked, “is that big?!?!“  She laughed and told me they were HUGE for 37 weeks!  I then had to search online to convert to inches and then figure out how big “normal” newborn feet are.  Yeah, apparently newborn feet are in the 2 to 2 1/2 inch range.  And this kid’s feet were over 3 inches at that appointment.  But hey, no surprise here…..I wear a 12!  And Steve wears a 13!  (Yep, for the record, Steve’s feet are bigger than mine.  And if he tries to slip on a pair of my flip-flops……it totally offends me! Haha….not really!)  Bring on the big feet!

We’ve also been really worried about the size of this baby.  (Well, I guess I have been doing all the worrying.  Husbands tend to easily forget about issues like baby size, birth complications, infections, delivery, recovery, etc.  And I’m certain that this is the case because there’s no need for 2 of us to be completely overwhelmed with all the “what-if’s” of child bearing.  My gosh……but I’d sure love to switch roles for a day or two.  My emotions are tired!)  I know I can deliver an 11 pound baby (Chloe’s birth news here)…..but heaven help me if this child is any bigger. :)

So, when the U.S. tech went on to measure the rest of the baby…..I was a little nervous for her weight calculation.  She measured an arm, a leg, the abdomen, etc.  When she made her way to his head, she said, “yep, this kid has a large head too!“  Oh, my heart.  My mind instantly flashed forward to delivering that head.  Ouch!

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 9.02.30 AM

However, right when my eyes focused in on this image, I stopped worrying about his size…..and felt like I was getting a cheating peek at what this little love will look like.  So go on, bring on the big head…..because those squishy cheeks completely melted me!

I snapped back to reality when the tech told me that at exactly 37 weeks, this baby was 8 pounds 4 ounces.  Oh boy.  Not that 8’4″ is huge…..but I started thinking about the margin of error with these calculations.  Can’t they be off like a pound either way??  And he still has a couple of weeks to grow?  Ack!!

After the scan, we went in to talk with the doctor.  He kinda chuckled when he read the size of the baby in my charts and said, “well, another big baby on his way, huh?“  I laughed.  And agreed.  And then he asked if I’d like to be induced a week early.  And like any other crazed and impatient pregnant woman, I quickly accepted the offer.  I mean, yeah, carrying a baby is pretty remarkable.  And truly a miracle.  And is hands down the most amazing thing that happens inside of a human abdomen — but there comes a time (hmmmm, around 34-35 weeks) that a pregnant lady loses all sense of rational thought.  I swear, my hormones are on overdrive at this point and Every. Single. Thing. In. This. Whole. World. Bugs. Me.  Or makes me cry.  Or overwhelms my normally level head.  And I start feeling like the baby will neeeeeeeeeever come out!  Which always makes my husband laugh.  But he now knows that these aren’t MY thoughts.  They are PREGNANCY THOUGHTS. :)

Anyway, I happily agreed to an induction date, 1 week earlier than my due date.  My doctor has been in practice for over 20 years and the biggest baby he has every delivered, was like 11’8″…..or somewhere around there.  I told him if we waited until my due date, this baby would break that record.  Ha!  So…….hallelujah friends, I’m being induced this weekend.  Okay, that’s vague, I’m starting pitocin late Sunday night!  And let me tell ya……I couldn’t be happier!  (And yes, I’ve been induced before.  I was induced around my due date with the first two and then went into labor 3 days after my due date with my 3rd….but then labor stalled and I needed help anyway.  So, Pitocin and I are VERY good friends!)

I’m just happy that in a few days, I will no longer be asked if I’m sure there’s not twins in this belly.  I shared this picture on Instagram last night, of Elli and I in the grocery store bathroom, right after an employee asked if I was having twins. I get so tired of hearing that question at this point, that I didn’t even force out a courtesy laugh.  I just said no and went about my shopping.  (I know, cranky.)  When I brought Elli into the restroom, I looked in the mirror and actually laughed.  Yeah, I can’t really blame people.  One of my babies is like the size of a set of healthy twins.  Go on, ask away…

Screen Shot 2014-07-04 at 7.39.33 AM

And just because I clicked back to look — here’s that squishy little (big?) 11-pounder Chloe, over 3 years ago.

IMG_8568-1

I was completely smitten with her though.  Chubby cheeks and all!

Steve and I still laugh when we think about the moment she came out and everyone gasped.  They placed her on that scale and the nurse weighing her screeched, “oh my, she’s 5000 grams!!“  Steve and I both looked at each other, with confused looks and asked, “Uh, so how many pounds is that?“  All the nurses and the doctor were kind of chuckling, as if they had some sort of secret and someone finally blurted out, “that’s 11 pounds!!“  Ha…..then we kind of gasped too.  And I probably said something sarcastic like maybe I should have laid off the midnight milkshakes.  Ha.

IMG_8584-1

It also makes us laugh to think about the nurses scrambling to find some size 1 diapers for her to wear.  All they had were newborn diapers in the baby bassinet….but those weren’t going to fit this little lady.  So they had to run to the storage room to find the size 1 diapers.  It was all pretty hilarious…..but at the time, I didn’t think it was very funny.  I also didn’t like other nurses poking their head in to see the “11 pound baby”.  I think it’s pretty funny now….but those hormones, I’m telling ya, they’re out of control at the time of delivery.

IMG_8623-1

**Elli looks so itty bitty here.  And I’m sure she was wondering why her baby sister was so much bigger than her baby dolls at home.  Ha!

But even 11 pound babies eventually even out.  Because by 4 months old, Chloe was still pretty long, but her weight evened out.

IMG_9961-1

Ahhhh man, these pictures are killing me.  I can hardly wait to have a sweet little baby in our home again! :)

. . . . .

So, just as a head’s up.  I will probably be missing for a bit.  (I’ll probably update on Instagram though, if you’re interested in following along.)  I do have a few things stored up that I’m excited to share……but I’m not exactly sure when those will go up.  Some of them are in queue, just a bit of editing is needed.  So, maybe next week some time.  But you know I won’t be able to stay away for long.  Especially because I’m assuming I’ll be pretty antsy to share a few pictures of this little guy.  (And no, we still haven’t settled on a name.  We like to have several names to pick from and then decide when we meet the baby.  Because Chloe was almost a Zoey….until we met her. :) )

And really, thanks again for all the excitement and virtual hugs during this pregnancy.  From the moment I announced I was pregnant (with that tricky Mad Gab birth announcement), you have all been so sweet and excited right along with me.  And have been equally kind as I have bombarded this blog with all sorts of Baby Boy projects and ideas for the past few months.  (Oh and don’t you worry…..there’s more to come!)

DIY Knit Receiving Blanket for Baby Boys --- Make It and Love ItIMG_3480Self-Binding MINKY Baby Blanket (with applique).  So fast.  So cuddly! --- Make It and Love It

Stretchy Baby Hats with Top Knots --- Make It and Love It25+ Modern Quilting Ideas...so much inspiration! --- Make It and Love ItDIY Gauze Swaddle Blankets for baby! Light and breathable...great for a nursing cover too! --- Make It and Love ItDIY Giraffe Wall Art for Nursery or Kid Room --- Make It and Love ItInterchangeable Bowtie Onesie....with Attached Suspenders (2 variations) --- Make It and Love It

Oh, and remember how that book of mine, No-Sew Love (aka: baby #5), is being released August 5th??

NoSewLove-front-cover

Well, I have more to share about that really soon.  I’m still in utter shock that it’s done.  And that my name is on a printed book.  It’s just so weird.  And completely overwhelming/intimidating/exciting/unbelievable/etc.  Do you think it’s the hormones causing all of these feelings about the book too?  Because I’ve never written a book before…..but I blame every type of spike in emotion, on being pregnant. Haha!

Okay, I must be anxious about something (yep, the baby) because I just keep writing and writing and writing………so this has to stop!

Talk to you really soon.  And all prayers and positive thoughts are very welcome this weekend.  Remember those nerves of mine?

Lots of love,

Filed under Family, Holiday

Comments

60 Responses to “Happy 4th!! …and baby #4 is on his way!!”
    Jodi says:

Thanks for sharing your pregnancy worries and joys. I enjoy reading your posts and they bring back memories of my babies. Can’t wait to meet the little guy. Happy pushing!

margaret says:

This post is all sorts of adorable. I can’t get over the baby cuteness. :)
    Those 3D ultrasounds are so cool. I did one with my first but not the last two. I don’t think I got that good of a shot of my baby’s head, though.
    I hope your delivery goes great, can’t wait to see pictures of the baby!

Nicole says:

Oh my goodness! I’m so excited for you! Just keep in mind after the parents and other help stops, I am more than willing to run over and snuggle that boy while you nap ;) Please let us know if you guys need anything (babysitters, food, etc) We are happy to help. This is so exciting! And btw, Coco’s chunky little baby pics are so flippin adorable! She was a little cherub! Text me if u need ANYTHING girly :)

Mary O. says:

I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS! I absolutely love your blog post. Can’t wait to see the your big bundle of joy. :)

How exciting! I loved reading your post and the photos are wonderful. I had two boys a few years ago, (they are 25 and 22) and this post brought back so many memories! Looking forward to seeing your future posts. Congratulations to you and your family!
    Take Care! ~ Vickie

Andrea says:

So excited for you! Agreed growing a baby is such an absolute miracle right before our eyes!! I have to say I completely understand your “please don’t ask if I’m carrying twins” sentiment. I had the same and actually dreaded going ANYWHERE for the last few weeks of my pregnancies!! I contemplated wearing a sign in my prego thoughts :) Anyways, I hope all goes well for you in the coming days!!

Jenny says:

I think you’re pregnant belly looks absolutely adorable and perfect for your body frame. Definitely not any bigger than my 8 lb. babies did on my 5’2″ body!! I hope the delivery goes smoothly and that you have some quiet weeks at home with that new sweet boy. Happy Fourth!

Jen says:

You look amazing!!! I love your adorable baby belly! I hope everything goes well with your delivery and recovery is quick and easy for you! Congrats – I can’t wait to see pictures of your sweet baby boy.

Cami says:

So excited for you this weekend!!! My prayers and thoughts are truly with you! I keep looking at my 10 lb 5 month old baby and wondering how in the world any one could push something out that big! You must be one tough cookie. It has been a big year for you – and you are about to do the most amazing thing yet! Can’t wait to see the new guy!! Enjoy all the hospital desserts before you come home and get on the scale ;)

Mary says:

I think you looked normal for someone who’s pregnant and not gaining lots of extra pounds. That bump is all baby. Hooray for you and your family. Thanks for sharing with us.

Annie says:

This is so exciting! And what a wonderful post. My baby was just a little over 6 pounds when she came out, so I have no idea what it is like to have a big baby. But you are surrounded by your wonderful family, and we the followers are sending the best wishes this weekend! By the way, I cannot believe you took your picture in the grocery store restroom… talk about the pregnancy makes you do things you normally would no do! :D

Nancy Gross says:

Wow very happy for you but I was hoping you would have him on my birthday, the 18th. But I understand with his predicted weight that you did not want to wait. His ultrasound looks just like a photo, haven’t seen one so clear. Wishing you and your family the best! Can’t wait to meet the Lil ‘ big guy!!! Thanks for sharing

Lynda M O says:

Ah, Ashley, may the labor and delivery be the best yet !~! He’s a good-looking woober-I envy your hours of snuggling coming up. Happy Fourth.

Roopali says:

All the best Ashley !! Waiting to see pics of your little bundle

Karla says:

May you have a safe and easy (?) labor. I just love the sonograms of these babies. When I had mine, they had no such thing. With my last one (which turned out to be twins) they did an x-ray at 39 weeks because I had grown huge over the last 4 weeks. Even then the doctor wasn’t sure if I had a large baby or there were two. My daughter had the same type of picture of our granddaughter and it was so exciting

Take your time, snuggle lots, and can’t wait to see pics.

Sarah says:

Congrats, Congrats!! Take as much time as you want we all understand! But yeah, an update every now and there would be fun. haha. We’ve followed all of your other babies- can’t wait to see this one grow up too!!

Leigh Anne says:

Oh Ashley! I loved reading this post and it brings back those labor pains & newborn snuggles all over again!! I have 4….2 boys & 2 girls ….7,5,3 & 6 mos. and I have to say that #4 has been easy breezy!! So content to go with our crazy family flow….haha! I pray it’s the same for your sweet boy ;). I remember when you had Chloe and I was surprised at her birth weight. But now my 6 mos baby girl weighs 12lbs (6.4lbs at birth) and I cannot imagine delivering a baby that size! Bless your heart!! Hoping this little boy doesn’t break any records! He will be so loved ;). Prayers for quick & easy birth!!

Becky says:

I hope the delivery is wonderful. So excited for you!

Lisa says:

YEA! He will be such a cute, as all of your kiddos are! Prayers and good luck with the delivery! You can do it! Nobody expects you to keep up with blogging for a while, just enjoy snuggling that little fella! And hooray for your book!

Jo Skidmore says:

I’m excited for your family!

Vanessa says:

My third was 10 lb 4 oz! So crazy! Our nurses had to pull out the size 1 diapers too haha. I’m now pregnant with #4 and I’m anxious to see how your #4 turns out! :) but I must say big babies rock!

Nancy says:

I have to say that having my babies 30 years ago, that seeing the 3D imaged ultrasound pics are truly amazing. You can actually see your baby inside your belly.
    I have ultrasound pics of my babies and they look like little bugs (at 3 mths preg)! Funny how excited I was about those little bugs tho.

I wish you a healthy and harmonious delivery, and all the joy you and your family can have with your new little one.

Kathy says:

I think I was at least as big as you with both of my girls. I’m just a boring old 5′ 6″ but my first was 8.8 and my second was 9.1. Big for me. People used to ask if I was having twins, too. It’s a lame question. People should really quit asking pregnant women that. It’s supposed to be funny but it’s only funny to the person asking. I’m very excited for your induction and hope that all goes well!

Kari says:

I don’t know if this makes you feel any better, but a friend of mine had a baby that was 12 pounds 2 oz. And she’s about 5’9″ like me, and her belly was HUGE. No, she didn’t have gestational diabetes, either….just a baby that looked like a toddler. She became quite a celebrity in the hospital since everyone wanted to see the giant baby :). I hope all goes smoothly for you, and that you’ll be holding that sweet babe in your arms very soon!!

Chelsey says:

So exciting that you are so close to holding that squishy bundle! My first thought was kind of silly… When we had our last baby, I went to the nursery to get her after my shower and couldn’t remember what she looked like. I had to keep moving blankets to see name tags to be able to find which one was mine. Guilty. But my silly thought was that at least you’d know which one was yours! He’ll be hogging all the attention!

Stephanie says:

Thanks for sharing your story and your pictures! Best of Luck to you with Baby #4 and hurray for big families and big babies. My fourth baby was 9.12 and only 18″ long, the worst part is that I am just barely 4’11″. Yep, people asked me if I was having twins, too. I gave birth to a beautiful chubby baby! Blessings to you and your growing family!

Marilyn says:

Congratulations!! So happy for you! Best of luck to you and Happy 4th of July!

Pat says:

My last baby born 1971. Weighed in at 9#. 22″ long. Lots of baby for my small frame. Took me 1 hour to have her. She is now the smallest of my adult kids. If they ask if you would like to stay another day in the hospital say YES! I went home so fast after #4 all I wanted to do was sleep. Too fast to get ant energy back. We did not have the ultrasounds of today and the 3 D ones are amazing. Wow! You have your work cut out for you. I loved being pregnant and loved my babies too. Such a God given miracle. May your labor be short and your joy be unbelievable…Congrats to all!!

Jana says:

Happy 4th to a sweet niece! Love to you and some peace. May all go well for everyone! Especially the mom and son! Xoxox

Tina says:

Love the stories of Mommy and #4. Very touching. Love the baby projects as well. Looking forward to more stories and projects.

Irena says:

All the very best to you. Thank you for sharing your beautiful family photos. Hope you get a little time to rest. Love from Queensland Australia

Wendy says:

May the rigors of childbirth be swift and easy. May you bask in the joy of your happy, healthy baby boy. Motherhood becomes you. Look out world, here comes baby “boy with big feet”. :) Wish the best for you and your family.

Brenda says:

Pshawww – 11 lbs isn’t too bad. . . . My oldest was 10 lb 7 oz and my youngest was 12 lbs 6 oz. Yes, had them both vaginally. The doctor didn’t think my 2nd was quite that big. The hospital had to go to Peds to get diapers to fit him!! Let’s just say I stopped having kids after that!!
    Congratulations on the impending birth of your new boy. How exciting.

cucicucicoo says:

Wow!! Best of luck, Ashley! I’m looking forward to seeing pix of your new guy! :) Lisa

Jaime says:

OMG I think you look amazing. Baby looks high and you literally look all baby so maybe that’s why you appear to be having twins. My first was 9/7 and the only girl in the hospital at the time so everyone was making a big deal for her (I was 2 days over due and doc induced). He didn’t want me to have a #er the second time so 4 weeks prior to due date I had an ultra sound and the tech would not share a peep. I had to wait 2 days to see what was going on. Doc said “oh baby weighs 4 kilos.” UHHH my baby isn’t heroine doc. But I’m trying to think back to HS math ok so 2.2 #s times four. Doc shouts “oh, over 9 #s again!” He induced 3 days later (3 weeks early) and she was 7/12. so it can be off for sure. Also in my family a foot is a foot. As in 12″ plus. In 5th grade my teacher made us “trace” our shoe on a piece of letter paper and MINE WOULD NOT FIT! I was the only one in class whose foot did not fit. Even all the boys shoes fit. GEEZ. Good luck on Sunday! Can’t wait to see your lil man and his squishy puffy cheekies!

Ellie from Canada says:

All the best to you and baby boy!! You’re a pro at this and you’ll do just fine no matter what the size :)

Virginia says:

What a beautiful post! Thank you so much for sharing! Wish you all the best for your delivery

crafty Diana says:

Best wishes to baby #4…. He will be awesome. I know we will miss you a bit but enjoy those sweet first moments. Hugs!

Sarah says:

Good luck with everything! I am being induced on Monday morning with baby #3 and our first girl, so maybe our babies will have the same birthday! I am right there with you with the crazy pregnancy thoughts and the worry about the delivery. Sending positive thoughts your way!!

L says:

I am so excited for you! I will be praying that all goes well. I got the twins comment and the, “you must be due any day” comment when I was definitely not due any day. And, my babies were only 8 pds. 9 oz. and 8 pds. 5ozs. I thought they were going to be bigger and was prepared since I was 9pds and my brother 10pds. plus they measured big the entire pregnancy. Sweet girl (baby 2) came a little over a week early or she would have been bigger. I carried all out in front like you are-where it looks like a big basketball under your shirt. I still laugh when people tell me what big babies I had. I guess they just seem normal to me and when you are expecting 9pds or more, they seem small. :) Can’t wait to see pictures. Thanks so much for your blog!

Katina says:

Congrats on baby #4! I found your blog a couple days ago when I was searching for easy things to sew (just learned to use a sewing machine last week) and have already picked out fabric for the cute stuffed turtles! I’m having our first baby in September and had to laugh/panic when I saw Chloe’s birth weight – I’m hoping our son will take after me and be on the smaller side!

Caitlyn says:

Can’t wait to the the new little guy! Good luck this weekend, positive thoughts and prayers are coming your way.

Caitlyn @ http://alottlebitofpink.blogspot.com

Samantha says:

How exciting!! I just had my baby #4 (a boy! my kiddos are the same gender order as yours!) a month ago, so I can definitely relate to the hormones running wild. If only that turned off like a light switch after the baby was born! Haha! I am so excited for you and can’t wait to see pics and read all about bringing this new little love into your world. Best of luck with all of it!

It’s so funny, I feel like I’ve told the exact same story about my 10.5lb baby (nosey nurses and all!), lol!… And that even includes the early inductions and my size 12 feet! I’m so excited for you (since we had to stop at #3 for medical reasons), and I’m living vicariously through you all. :) Enjoy the process (as much as possible at this point, haha!) and be blessed! Congratulations!

Karen Barton says:

Ah so excited for you! Not sure what that equates to on New Zealand time but hope all’s going well for you :-) I thought I would be done after #3 but a few things lately, including your exciting journey over the last few months have got me thinking I could still have my #4! I’m sure when you post photos of your gorgeous little cutie, it will be even more convinced lol Congratulations!

Best wishes on your new baby to be. So much fun to read your about your pregnancy and reflect back on my three pregnancies, many many years ago. Sounds like you have a great husband. Enjoy Your family….

Adva says:

Hi Ashley,
    I hope you’ll have a fast delivery :)

Heather says:

As another mom of HUGE babies, I hope your delivery is everything you hope for :) My daughter was 10 lbs 5 oz. The ultrasound tech was WAY off for her measurments (said she was only 6 lbs at my 37 week ultrasound… I don’t think she gained that much in the last 3 weeks!)

Patricia says:

My very best wishes. Hope everything goes well for you all. Good Luck.

Estrella says:

How exciting!! I hope you have a safe and fast delivery :)

laura says:

all the best!!! hope to hear soon!!!

Eliza says:

Congratulations and best wishes for you baby, it’s so cute! Fingers crossed. Eliza :)

Leslie says:

May GOD BLESS and watch over you ASHLEY and your FAMILY…….beautiful pics !!!!!!!!

Janie says:

You are giving me baby fever!!

He will be beautiful and healthy!

Best wishes!!

Janie

sravanthi says:

Good Luck for delivery and enjoy every moment with your lil one. I have been following your blog and learned to sew few girl clothing successfully.

Aww…this is such a sweet story. Thank you for sharing. Best of Luck with your delivery and have lots of fun crafting for the new bundle.

P.S you just got a new subscriber

P.S you just got a new subscriber

Lots of Love,
    The Sew Cute Cherie Team

Amanda says:

Congratulations and I hope all is well! Can’t wait to meet the little (or maybe big little) one!

Maren says:

Good luck this weekend! You will be great! Sending prayers your way!

mo says:

congratulations! so whilst my family and i were enjoying a nice costco dinner we totally spied you and your family there too! you guys were right across from us in fact. i kept asking my self “where have i seen her before” and then one day while my visiting teachers were here they mentioned that you lived in the area and then the light went on! that’s why i recognized you ….from your page! in my book you are a crafting celebrity and i never have celebrity citings so i just thought it was cool! congrats again!