Baby Oliver — at 10 days old

I was going through some pictures on my computer last night after kids were in bed……because I was going to share a project today that I finished over a month ago (that I was saving for after Oliver arrived), but still haven’t shared.  However, I got sidetracked by some pictures I took of Oliver exactly a week ago, when he was 10 days old.  And, well, I got sucked right in and completely forgot about editing the pictures for the project I was going to share today……and sat here at my computer, looking at picture after picture of this little baby boy.  Gah…..I love this little one!

IMG_8759-002

Something is different with this 4th baby.  I’m a lot calmer.  And am enjoying every little ounce of this newborn baby stage more than I ever did with the others.  Not that I didn’t enjoy the first three…..because I was completely smitten with them too.  It’s just that, I don’t know……I’m not as worried/anxious as I was with the others.  And I simply can’t get enough of this little guy.

I wish I could somehow tell my first-time-mom-self to take a breather and enjoy.  But, well, you kinda have to go through that neurotic first-time-mom stage and figure out for yourself that a pacifier that has fallen on the ground won’t kill your baby.  And that one missed nap won’t ruin their brain development.  And that an extra feeding won’t result in childhood obesity.  And that a missed book at bedtime won’t result in a learning delay.  And that a few tears while trying to sleep train doesn’t mean your child will have relationship issues throughout adulthood.  Oh, the things I have read over the years — it’s exhausting!

IMG_8701-001

I have wanted to be a mommy since I was a teeny tiny girl and would babysit for free as a young girl and have just always LOVED babies.  In fact, I loved them so much that I remember worrying as a young girl that maybe because I loved them SO much, I would for some reason never be able to have my own children.  My gosh, I completely forgot about that paranoia until now…..but that was a real worry of mine.  I think I need to learn some breathing techniques because I tend to worry about the strangest things, even as a young girl. Ha!

IMG_8825-001

I’m just grateful that I have finally reached a point that I can more fully enjoy each of those baby wrinkles, those scrumpled baby faces, all those tiny baby noises and grunts, and even those middle of the night feedings……and let the common “parenting worries” kinda simmer in the background until they are something that really needs to be worried about. (Okay, the enjoyment of those 4am feedings is starting to wear off….but you know what I mean!)

IMG_8873-002

I never want to forget how teeny and wrinkly baby feet are.  My gosh, I’m in love with those little toes!

IMG_8890-001

And little button noses.  (Did you know that baby noses have such hard cartilage when they’re first born because it keeps their nostrils open and not squished flat, preventing them to breathe.  And then they soften up later on, as they gain more neck and head control and can reposition their head if their nostril gets blocked??  Yeah, I read that in a book too.  Ha!  But Oliver’s little nostrils are so hard…..and I remembered that’s why.  Because holy smokes, a baby could get smothered while learning to nurse and while a mom’s milk is evening out and getting under control.  Those who have nursed know exactly what I’m talking about, right?? ;) )

IMG_8794-001

I guess I’m able to stay extra calm with Oliver because he also really chill.  He doesn’t fuss much at all.  Even with messy pants.  Or a gas bubble.  Or after being bumped by an older sibling while trying to snooze in his bouncer.  He squirms a bit until whatever is bothering him is taken care of…….but none of that scream-my-head-off-until-someone-takes-care-of-that-pesky-little-thing-that’s-bothering-me, like his 2 older sisters mastered REALLY well.  But wait — doesn’t being a calm baby mean he’s going to be a rotten 2-year-old?? ;)

If I could invite you all over to kiss on him, I would.  But just so you know, I still have one paranoia — and that’s mixing a baby with new germs.  Sick newborns are no fun…….so I’ll probably make you use hand sanitizer.  And wear a face mask.  And stand outside and take a peek from the window.  Ha. ;)  I kid.

IMG_8814-001

So, forgive me as I enjoy this little guy…….completely sidetracked from sharing a project here today.

Because today will consist of passing him around to Elli, Connor and Chloe, who ask non-stop to hold their little brother.  Nothing is sweeter than seeing them love on Oliver.  Nothing at all.

IMG_8757-001

I’ll be back next week with several fun things to share.  Including a few books to give away!!!!

Now go and snag a friend/neighbor/relative’s baby and drink that little one right up!  It’s good for the soul.  Truly.

-Ashley

Filed under Family

Comments

47 Responses to “Baby Oliver — at 10 days old”
    Katie says:

Ashley, he’s precious! I’m currently expecting my fourth baby after triplet two-year-old girls. I wasn’t quite as neurotic when I first had them as most first time moms (there were three newborns to care for- no room for silly worries!) but I’m still so eager to have this little one here! I know I will enjoy these baby days even more because I won’t be so focused on basic survival! Babies are always blessings!

maryam says:

Pretty little boy…

Mara says:

He is adorable! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Diane W says:

I also am a baby lover. Ive always wanted to get married and have babies. And yes the 4am feedings were tough. But when your lil baby all of a sudden, stops, looks at you and grins, and back to nursing….it is soo worth it. I LOVED my babies. The youngest is now almost 17 and many times ive wished for those days with a newborn in the house. They were a blessing.

Reba Winsinger says:

What beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom.

Megan W. says:

Best. Distraction. Ever. :) You are totally excused and doing exactly what you need to be doing. :)

Maria says:

I have no babies anymore. My grandkids are all grown and at College Trying to hang in here hopping to be a great-grandma I enjoy your pictures and your colunm. Your children are precious and the baby is adorable God bless you all!

Susan M. says:

What a handsome little guy you have – thanks goodness for a good gene pool, huh?! I’m amazed at how much he looks like your other children even at only 10 days old.

I’m blessed to be in the phase of my life where I get to enjoy grandbabies and while I was a rather cranky momma due to 4 am feedings, these days I gladly take them! There’s nothing quite like a big ole cuddle in the quiet of the night!

All my best wishes to you and yours…

Patricia says:

Absolutely gorgeous. What a big boy. Enjoy.

Jennica says:

I was the same way as a little girl! Even worried I would be unable to have babies, too. Now I’m expecting #3 in just 3 sort (or long) weeks. Your little man is perfect! Makes me excited to meet mine soon. :)

Shannan says:

Oh my gosh! Its been so long since I’ve read your blog, I didn’t even know you were pregnant again! He’s so adorable!! I use to be so devoted to reading your posts, I remember when your son was a prince for Halloween, I made my son the costume the following year! And your 3rd child with those adorable ADORABLE little baby shoes!! Ahhh I can’t wait to see what you do with this one! My nephew was just born on the 2nd so I will definitely be reading and getting ideas for him! Congratulations!!!

Anita says:

I love looking at pics if Oliver. He’s such a handsome little man. My mom always told me with 4th kids that they’re calmer because they got use to all the nose from their brothers and sisters while in the womb. I always find myself smiling and chuckling while reading what you wrote. Remembering those times with my own kids. I literally am taking your advise and enjoying my 9 month granddaughter. She leaves on Sunday for VA then to Utah about 7 months later. Job opportunities for my son. Won’t be easy losing my little snuggler but her parents won’t let me keep her. lol

Regina says:

Congrats and well wishes to your whole family on Oliver’s birth. I assume someone hand knitted the baby blanket Oliver is holding. Is there any chance you could get the instructions for me, please? Thank you.

Andrea c says:

My little one is 5 months, and his siblings are still playing pass the baby :-)

Runt says:

My little guy just turned six months last week and I really can’t believe how quickly time has flown. I remember bringing him home from the hospital like it just happened yesterday!

Your little guy is too precious!

Runt

Emily says:

I’ve never been a baby “lover”, but have always loved toddlers….go figure! but he is a precious little thing, and the more kids I have, the more i appreciate a baby that can’t move, sass, destroy, tantrum, and is just warm and snuggly :)

Atalie says:

He’s so adorable ! Love your updates on him. Our little Oliver (aka Ollie) is three months old, as of yesterday. The time goes by too fast!! Congrats!!

Karen says:

Precious! I was kinda hoping you’d have another Oliver post! I was the same way as a girl and would babysit all the time as a teen! We used to call who was first to hold the babies at church and pass them around our Sunday school classes if our teachers brought their babies! We had a surprise 2-week-old at our house yesterday because his mamma had to go to the hospital (she is better now)! What a blessing those teeny guys are!!

Marjorie Leatherwood says:

I am to far away to give him germs, but he is so sweet. Just keep,loving him like u do,& everything will be fine . Hugs & Kisses fro Tennessee.

Stephanie says:

There are no words for his level of preciousness! God bless you!

jeri johnston says:

Wish we were closer so his Great Auntie could love on him. Guess tou will just have to do it for me. Love all of you!

Michelle Davidson says:

I just LOVE reading about lil Oliver! I was blessed with one here on earth and one waiting for me in heaven. And how I miss those baby kisses, so it is nice to live vicariously through you!!!! Thanks for sharing such beautiful, great and wonderful news that God has blessed you and your family with. Keep kissing on him for all of us who are finished making babies. ;).

Helen Walsh says:

Thank you for sharing. Perfect timing for me. I’m currently reading this whilst snuggling my 4 day old baby boy. Started to feel a little guilty today about splitting myself between my newborn and my 4 year old so this article has made me feel a little less guilty! Thank you for sharing. Xx

Ashley M. says:

My littlest one is 11 weeks and I already forget the sweetness of the peach fuzz covering their body during the first few weeks. I love that sweet little fuzz!

mommaofthreeblog.blogspot.com

Congrats on ur lil’ prince..he’s really precious…

Jo Weston says:

Thank you so much for sharing. Your baby is adorable and your writing is adorable too.
    My children are grown now but I get exactly the same pleasures from our grandchildren and another one on the way for December which is summer here in New Zealand.
    Life is so precious and it is lovely to read about someone else who makes the most of every moment. Thank you from Jo xx

Mickey says:

Oliver is beautiful, as is his mom. Thanks for sharing and enjoy. I’ll be a gram for the first time in Sept. and I can’t wait. Bless you all!

Linda King says:

He is precious! I remember those moments, now all my kids are grown, I have lots of grandchildren, all in their teens.

Sally says:

I was actually checking your site for an update on Oliver, so no worries on the missed post! I recently read that newborn heads give off pheromones and letting the older siblings hold the new baby and smell those pheromones makes them fall in love! How perfectly God has it planned! Blessings to you & your sweet family!

Lindsay h. says:

Oh my. Thank you for sharing. I’m on baby number 2 and already notice I’m enjoying this baby better than the first. I can only imagine how good I’ll be by number 4. Congratulations. Isn’t being a mom the absolute best?!

Sonja (mimi) says:

Wish we were neighbors. I wouldn’t mind watching from a window. He is amazing! You have a very blessed family life.

Patricia says:

He is a cutie! Make sure you get lots of those ‘neck kisses’.

Irena says:

Thank you for sharing your baby with us he is so huggable. My baby is 34. Have 10 grandchildren. But no baby ones youngest is now 7 oldest 19. Enjoy these days they are precious

I know what you’re saying about the 4th baby. I felt the same way. And yes, she was a terror at 2. In fact our motto for her was “if you can’t see her, you better go find her”. 9x out of 10 she was into something. But she was also very sweet and still is.
    You’re little Oliver is precious! Glad you’re enjoying every moment!

Sue Os says:

Oliver looks very handsome and healthy. Great photos too! I think that most children, after the first one, are so much easier because your head isn’t filled with all the conflicting advice from well-meaning friends and relations! Enjoy him, and the other children as much as you can. The time just flies by and soon they will be all grown up themselves.

Sue Os says:

PS I just love that downy fluff that babies have that you can just see in some of the photos!

gigi la chti says:

il est magnifique ce petit Oliver les photos sont superbes
    amitiés de France !!

Mary says:

Thanks for sharing such wonderful photo’s he’s so beautiful. My children are grown up now and I have four grandchildren and they are all so precious, I miss so much those first few baby days

Keri says:

Congratulations!! He is so adorable. You are an amazing mama. Love all your projects. Enjoy your babymoon :) Our newest addition is already five months old. It goes by too fast.

Carolyn says:

He is precious what great photos thank you for sharing

Lisa says:

First of all, congratulation for this wonderful baby boy, he’s so sweet.
    I thought more children means more stress, but I read you and you are transmitting a peace sentiment…. I have two children but I haven’t this peace time, only when they are deep sleeping (rarely!!).
    The nose’s story, yes it’s true, and every newborn has the same kind of nose, everyone the same, just for that, to be able to eat from mum without problems.
    Be a mother is a hard work, but it’s the best work I will ever had! Even with stress ;)

Linda says:

He is just adorable! Enjoy every minute as you know they grow up so fast!

Amy says:

LOVE !!! almost makes we want another one – almost :O) You are so right about newer moms not as relaxed – wish I read fewer books. Glad you are able to enjoy this one is such a different, relaxed way. Take your time – we’ll be here.

Gaga says:

He’s so beautiful. I LOVE the shot from the bottom of his little feet. I just love babies’ feet and hands. When I think about the fact that there are little bones in there that will grow to be the correct size for a child to play with a ball, use a fork and pat his mom’s face, I appreciate God’s creation so much. Enjoy every moment because you know he’ll be digging in dirt and chasing butterflies before you can turn around. Congrats!

RachelZ says:

I have a 4 month old who is #4 and I have to agree wholeheartedly on what you said about enjoying them more. It seems crazy but I would have to say that I have enjoyed him the most of all my children. I have always loved babies, spent lots of time taking care of nieces and nephews and younger brothers and sisters but still when I had my first one I felt pretty helpless and like I didn’t know anything at all about taking care of babies. I would have to say that after 4 children you do tend to relax more and not worry about stuff as much because we have plenty of other things to do! Thanks for sharing the pictures of Oliver, he’s a cutie!

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Oliver is adorable.