Ed’s Reuben Sandwich (…a mild Reuben variation)

This post was written by my foodie sister Robin, who is now sharing all of her favorite recipes and kitchen tips several times a week (usually in the afternoon) on the new “Make It and Love It – in the KITCHEN” portion of this blog. Try a few of her recipes…your belly will thank you! -Ashley

. . . . .

Hey everyone, so happy to be here!  And even though Ashley went on and on about what I can do, ignore her. Ha!  I just like to make delicious things in the kitchen and I love figuring out why things do and do not work.  I don’t know everything, but I sure like to get my hands in the mixing bowl and do a little trial/error until I figure it out.  Some of the things I have to share will be a little basic, while others will take a little more time – but all will be delicious.  Promise!  -Robin (the older and wiser sister!)

Ed's Reuben Sandwich...a quick meal! --- Make It and Love It (in the kitchen)

Ash and I have another sister (hey April!) who lived in Ann Arbor, Michigan more than 10 years ago, while her husband was going through dental school at the University of Michigan. While visiting one time, they introduced me to this great sandwich called Ed’s Reuben that they found at a nearby deli. Maybe it was created after some dude named Ed…..but in my opinion, the name implies that anyone will love this type of sandwich, even all the Ed’s out there. :)

I know there are some who don’t like regular Reuben sandwiches (especially for the little ones) because of the strong flavor coming from the sauerkraut. But don’t worry, an Ed’s Reuben sandwich is a little more mellow and has an incredibly great flavor. The secret? Replace the sauerkraut with coleslaw. Once I tried it while visiting our sister April in Michigan, I knew we had to duplicate it. So, we did.

Ed's Reuben Sandwich...a quick meal! --- Make It and Love It (in the kitchen)

And well, there are a few other secrets to this sandwich that may sound strange…but really, you CANNOT knock it until you try it. A bit of melted swiss, a fried egg (don’t be scared – it’s amazing!), some secret sauce (ha!), a bit of crunchy cole slaw, and a few layers of grilled pastrami. Place that all on some toasted sourdough – mmm, so delicious! I’m telling you…I have made this for so many dinner parties and it’s always a hit. And really quick to throw together.

Ed's Reuben Sandwich...a quick meal! --- Make It and Love It (in the kitchen)

To make this, be sure you have all these items in your pantry. Some ingredients will be difficult to find, depending on the region where you live, so I have listed alternatives.

Shopping List for 1 sandwich

• 2 slices Sourdough bread
  • 1 Slice Jarlesberg Cheese (or baby Swiss)
  • 1 TBS Russian Dressing (or Thousand Island)
  • 3 oz Pastrami (Beef or Turkey)
  • ¼ cup Coleslaw (recipe below)
  • 1 Fried egg
  • butter (for grilling the bread)

Coleslaw (Enough for 10 sandwiches)

• ¼ cup sugar
  • ¼ cup mayonnaise
  • 1/8 cup oil
  • 1/8 cup vinegar
  • 1/8 cup finely chopped onion
  • 2 ½ cups shredded cabbage chopped

**Now, if you have had a Reuben sandwich, you would see from the shopping list that it looks quite similar. The differences are mild equivalents. The sourdough bread replaces pumpernickel. Jarlesberg replaces regular Swiss. Coleslaw replaces sauerkraut. And the egg is a bonus and tames the pastrami a bit (but don’t skip it, it’s delicious!).

To start off, you want to get the coleslaw out of the way first. You will want to prepare it at least 1 hour before the sandwich is served but NOT overnight. I mean, if you have to, go right ahead…but you’ll end up with semi-soggy coleslaw. And then you won’t get the full and crisp crunch that the coleslaw offers the sandwich.

IMG_9840

To make things easier, I get the bagged shredded cabbage. It is nice because a lot of the work is done for you. I like to go over and chop it a little more because when I bite, I like to keep what is in the sandwich in the sandwich and not pull long cabbage pieces out with my teeth leaving nothing left in the rest of the sandwich. This is just preference though.

IMG_9868

Next, mix together the rest of the ingredients together (including the finely chopped onion), creating your sauce. Add the chopped cabbage into the sauce, mix well, cover, and store in the refrigerator for at least an hour to let the flavors meld.

IMG_9853

Ok, now for the rest of the elements in this sandwich.

Cook your fried egg, leaving the yolk runny or hard. Again, this is just preference. For these pictures, I kept it runny.

IMG_0017

Once the egg is done, set it aside while you butter one side of each of your two pieces of bread. (Note: If you want, butter both sides of the bread. I am a little evil and like to grill the inside of the bread as well. So if you want to enjoy the same, butter both sides but only grill one side.) Set the bread aside, ready to be used.

Cook your pastrami in a frying pan (on med high heat) on one side of the pastrami. Flip the meat over and then place a slice of cheese on top until it melts. (The meat below is for multiple sandwiches.)

IMG_0052

Pull the meat from the heat and gather everything now to assemble your sandwich. Russian dressing is optimal but because of where I live, I couldn’t find any, so Thousand Island is similar and works pretty well.

IMG_0095-1

This sandwich is pretty juicy. That juice is coming mostly from the coleslaw. I like to lessen the opportunity of the bread getting soggy as much as possible so I protect the bread from the coleslaw. From bottom to top of the sandwich I build it this way: bread, meat, cheese, dressing, coleslaw, fried egg, and then bread.

I tried to avoid as much as possible, but as you can see, I broke the yolk. Makes it a bit more interesting wouldn’t you say?

IMG_0111

Place the sandwich on the fry pan and grill the buttered bread, on both sides of the sandwich. Pull off when you get the bread to your desired brownness.

IMG_0127

There you have it.

Ed's Reuben Sandwich...a quick meal! --- Make It and Love It (in the kitchen)

You can serve this with a pickle or all on its own. It makes my mouth water just looking at it. Sorry, but I may have to go sneak a bite. :)

Filed under Beef, Breakfast and Brunch, Dinner, Recipes, Sandwiches and Burgers

Comments

26 Responses to “Ed’s Reuben Sandwich (…a mild Reuben variation)”
    Ali Aguilar says:

This looks SO yummy! Grilled Rubens are the official food my husband makes when we have a new baby – he just goes to costco, gets everything and we live off them for the first crazy week with our newborn.
    I think my husband will love the addition of the grilled egg.

Robin says:

Ha! Love it… anything to survive the first week. And if he is a Reuben lover, he’s gotta try it.

Natalie says:

I’ve been on a total sandwich kick lately and these look right up my alley! I live in the Toledo area – about one hour from Ann Arbor and I’m pretty sure I know the deli you’re talking about :) Everything there is delicious, but I love recreating things from restaurants that I can make for so much less. Thanks for sharing!

Robin says:

Robin! We share a first name and the love of delicious food. This looks delicious. Sounds like the perfect mid-week dinner item… oh wait, how convenient… that’s tomorrow. ;)
    Welcome to mi-li! I’m super excited for all your delicious recipes. Thanks for sharing in advance!

Robin says:

Awesome, a shared name and love of food. We can be friends. Thanks! I’m excited to be here. Enjoy it!

Chrissy says:

So excited to make this! Looks delicious! I love the sandwich-dinner party idea.

I hate to be picky, but since I am living in Norway, I need to defend the national cheese. Jarlsberg is not a Swiss cheese. It’s Norwegian. :)

Robin says:

Aack! Thanks for catching that and don’t worry, that is not being picky. I’m fixing that right now.

Svenja says:

We just bought a new griddle pan and I fell in love with grilled sandwiches, so this recipe is right on time and looks so yummy!
    Though I have no idea where to get Pastrami here in Germany. I guess I’ll have to search a bit. May have to improvise on the sauce, too. But what’s cooking without improvising?

Robin says:

Perfect! If you can find corned beef, that will work just as well. The sauce can quickly be made mixing 1 part ketchup, 2 parts mayonnaise, and about 1/2 part sweet pickle relish. I agree, cooking is all about improvising. Enjoy it!

Stacey says:

So excited to try this ~ looks delish! Reubans are my favorite sandwich. The deli in Ann Arbor has to be Zingerman’s. I think they have at least 5 reuban variations (my MIL lives in the area).

Sarah says:

This looks so good. I’ve got to try it. My husband loves Reuben sandwiches but I’ve never liked sourkrout. This might be a good compromise.

Diana says:

YUM. Thanks :)

Nancy says:

Thanks for the great recipe!! I made it and my husband and I loved it! So happy you are sharing your great recipes!

Eleanore says:

I haven’t checked in here for some time because I was thinking it was getting dull,
    however the last few posts are actually good quality therefore I guess
    I’ll add you back to my day-to-day bloglist. You deserve it my
    friend.

It’s going to be ending of mine day, however before finish I am
    reading this fantastic piece of writing to increase my experience.

Greetings, I do believe your blog may be having internet browser compatibility problems.

Whenever I take a look at your blog in Safari, it looks
    fine however when opening in Internet Explorer, it’s got some overlapping issues.
    I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!
    Other than that, fantastic blog!

Your means of describing the whole thing in this article is truly
    nice, all be capable of effortlessly be aware of it, Thanks
    a lot.

Hey there would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re using?

I’m going to start my own blog in the near future but
    I’m having a difficult time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and
    Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs
    and I’m looking for something completely unique. P.S Apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

I am in fact grateful to the holder of this web page
    who has shared this wonderful paragraph at at this place.

I have fun with, lead to I found exactly what I used to be
    looking for. You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a
    nice day. Bye

Good way of describing, and good post to get facts about my presentation subject matter,
    which i am going to present in college.

This excellent website definitely has all of the information and facts I needed concerning this subject
    and didn’t know who to ask.