A new BLOG DESIGN…plus, a new feature!

Did you visit the site over the weekend?

You may have noticed a little construction going on.  And well, there are still things being ironed out…..no worries! (Did you know that when there are as many images on a web site as I have here, it takes a long time to populate changes and adjust image sizes, etc.?  Crazy.  Maybe I should cut down on all the images.  …Nah.  More is ALWAYS better, right?)

But I mentioned several weeks ago that a few changes were happening on this ol’ blog.  And yes, one that I’ve been so excited about for months……Make It and Love It — In the KITCHEN!!!!  After thinking and stewing and trying to figure out how to keep this blog more organized and easier to navigate, I have decided to keep all of the recipes and yummy food ideas over in their own space.  I know some love to craft, while others prefer to cook.  Well, and some love to do both.  I have always shared recipes here and there….but I’m thinking it would be easier to keep them a little more separate.

So, if you notice up at the top now, there are 2 categories to choose from…..the crafting/sewing/DIY side and the kitchen side.

header.png

If you hover over the “kitchen” side, you’ll notice the header will pop up a bit and you can click on it…..sending you over to the recipes and other kitchen type blog posts.  So, if you prefer cooking, the section on the right will be your new hangout! :)

And oh wait, I forgot the most important part.  Have I ever told you about my sister Robin?  Well, she’s #6 of 7 kids.  And yeah, I’m the bratty baby sister (#7).  Ha! ;)  And well, anyone that knows Robin, knows that she creates happiness in the kitchen.  Not sure what to make for dinner?  Ask Robin.  Not sure why your sauces aren’t setting up?  Ask Robin.  Just plain ol’ tired of cooking?  Ask Robin…she’ll help!

robin headshot-001

She also has a Food Science degree, so she understands why things work together, how things raise, safe zones for perishables, etc.  And yeah, she has had to tell me a time or two why my melting chocolate seized and got all grainy while trying to make a smooth dipping chocolate for my fresh strawberries.  Ugggh.  She also worked as a head cook in a restaurant on the weekends, while attending college.  I think she kind of loved her busy weekends, with a full dining room of hungry customers, awaiting her savory dishes.  So, she gathered all sorts of tips and DELICIOUS recipes that she has adapted and made her own.  And don’t worry, she’s a share-er!

But most importantly, she knows how to dumb things down.  Because there’s nothing that I hate more, than trying to figure out a fussy recipe at dinner time, while my kids are reminding me of how hungry they are.

SO, while it was nice to have her living here for a few months and having her actually make dinner for my family……the next best thing is to have her recipes.  No joke, “Make It and Love It — In the Kitchen” is kind of a selfish thing……so I can have her recipes at my finger tips.  Always. :)

Anyway, I know you’ll love her.  And she’ll be posting around here pretty regularly.  As in 2-3+ times a week.  Holla!!!  (FYI: Her food posts won’t be replacing the crafty posts at all.  Hers will most likely go up in the afternoon…..while the crafty ones will remain popping up in the mornings.)

Thanks Robby…..I love that you’re here! :)

. . . . .

Okay, onto the other BLOG Re-DESIGNS.

You may have noticed that the little images right under my header have changed shape.  Those are all my most “recent” posts.  Well, now you can scroll through them by clicking on those yellow arrows, making it a little easier to see if you you’ve missed anything.

Screen Shot 2014-05-05 at 9.16.09 AM

And if you hover over any of those mini images, it will show you the title of the post and the date it was posted.  If you want to check it out, just click on it.  Kind of handy, huh?  Especially if you don’t want to scroll through pages of content, seeing if you missed anything.  See?  I’m here for ya… :)

Screen Shot 2014-05-05 at 9.15.56 AM

And then, if you scroll below the main post of the day……you’ll see several categories, showing you the most recent posts in that category.  And then a “see them all” button, in case you want more under that category.

Screen Shot 2014-05-05 at 9.13.37 AM

And like always, if you hover over the “TUTORIALS” tab up in the header, you will see a drop down of all the categories.  Easy.

Screen Shot 2014-05-05 at 9.32.55 AM

Okay, so then if you click over on the “Make It and Love It — In the Kitchen” tab at the top right……you’ll see the “craft” side shrink down on the left and the “kitchen” side will pop up.  It also looks a little different.  Including my sister’s cute picture in the Welcome box!

Screen Shot 2014-05-05 at 9.14.16 AM

If you scroll down from there, you’ll see food categories that have the most recent food posts that you can click on…..and then yes, a “see them all” button that you can click on to see all posts under that category.

Screen Shot 2014-05-05 at 9.14.44 AM

But those aren’t all the categories.  If you click on the “RECIPES” tab up in the header at the top, you will see a drop down box of all the recipe categories.

Screen Shot 2014-05-05 at 9.32.38 AM

And yeah, some of the categories are a bit slim and some of the food posts are a little older……but get ready, because Robin has a whole bunch of recipes to share already.  They’re coming — and they’re coming FAST!!!  I can hardly wait! :)

. . . . .

I think that’s about it.  Well, there are other design things that have been switched around or adjusted, but nothing else that affects the navigation.

Oh, and no, I didn’t do the re-design myself.  Just like every other re-design, I have used June Lily Web Design.  Kirstin was seriously fantastic to work with.  And oh, the patience she had with all of my questions and itty bitty tweaks, etc. was amazing.  She was an angel to work with.  Not to mention, really good at what she does.  Thanks again Kirstin! :)

Whew, okay, let me know how things are working for you on your end.  And if something just doesn’t seem right, let me know.  It could be something that hasn’t transferred over yet…..or could be something that snuck through and needs to be tweaked.  Or hey, maybe you really hate something.  Tell me why it’s buggy and I’ll see what I can do.  Oh, and if you love something?? Tell me that too. :)

Thanks guys!

Filed under Featured, Random

Comments

34 Responses to “A new BLOG DESIGN…plus, a new feature!”
    alicia says:

Very cool, looking forward to the food posts!

Crystal says:

Awesome changes! I look forward to seeing what your sister has to share. You can never have too many cooking tips or recipes. :)

Lynette says:

I have been in such a cooking rut lately! Pregnancy will do that to ya, I guess. I’m excited to get back in the kitchen and learn some stuff from your sister. What a fun addition to your site!

Oh my word, I’m so with you! I’m having the same problem. And it’s usually because I have one thing that I really want for dinner….and none of the ingredients. Darn pregnancy cravings. Ha!

gina says:

I am glad you pointed out the kitchen part on the right side – I don’t think I would have ever noticed that! ha!

Looks great!!

Sarah says:

I’m one of those that likes to craft AND cook. Hooray! I can’t wait to see what robin has for us. Thank you, thank you

Bonnie says:

Love it!!!! the new design is great. thank you!

Susan M. says:

Love the new design! BTW, I’m pretty much in awe of those folks who can make a good, easy-to-navigate website. Worth their weight in gold if you ask me… kind of like school teachers which I’m convinced are either 1) gluttons for punishment or 2) angels sent from above! Looking forward to the new content…

Oh gosh, me too. Those technical brains amaze me. So glad they’re around though….because they always iron out my kinks. :)

Jessica says:

I’m so excited. . . for EVERYTHING! :)

Jodi says:

Looks fantastic! Great job Ash- can’t wait to see Robin’s recipes!

Diana says:

Yay! So exciting! It looks great :) Looking forward to the food posts–the ones you share are always amazing!

Question for Robin, speaking of why sauces aren’t setting up: When I make gravy, I use oil and flour to make a roux because some of us don’t eat dairy right now (so I don’t use butter). Then I usually pour in the juices from whatever cooked in the crockpot or else chicken broth, whisk it in, and it’s gravy. (Usually delicious!) But sometimes, as it sits at the table, some puddles of fat come to the top–do you think it’s oil from my roux or too much fat in the liquid I added? I tried googling this yesterday and couldn’t find much help because not too many people were making gravy with an oil-based roux. If you ever get a minute, I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Robin says:

Your gravy separated most likely because there was too much fat in the liquid you added. In roux, all the fat is bound up by the flour. The fat coming from the liquid is free and not bound to anything so after time it gathers together and puddles on top. Kinda think of it as an oil and water mixture. When you shake it, the oil is dispersed throughout the liquid (more or less). But after time without agitation, it separates.

Karla Bannerman says:

Love the site, and am sure we will love the Kitchen Side of things. I love new recipes, have family who really don’t care if I experiment on them, so they are really never sure what is showing up on the kitchen table for dinner.
    Thanks for so many neat things.

sue I says:

love all the new ideas you come up with

Kristie Hill says:

I love the new site design! And, the make it – love it in the kitchen is an exciting idea!

cucicucicoo says:

How exciting! I love “dumbed down” recipes, too! And the changes in the whole design are great. Congrats on all the new projects going on! :) Lisa

crafty grandma says:

WOW!! is the only word I can describe your site. Haven’t been around for very long so scrolling what I missed is a big help! Congratulations on a job well done to all involved! Hard work certainly paid off…wish more sites had similar easy layouts like then I wouldn’t spend my time unsubscribing!! LOL!! Thank you for all your work – it isn’t easy !

Thanks so much! I’m glad it’s been easy so far to work your way around the site. I always wonder if the set-up works for everyone else….since all our brains are a little different. Good to hear. Thanks again!

• 15.1.1
        crafty grandma says:

Any time….before retiring 4 years ago, I was working in the IT dept of a major corporation. One of my jobs was to play with apps created by these so called app specialists to see if it was and in my words . Let me tell you, I showed them no mercy and they worked long hours to perfect their apps to my liking and then the bosses!! LOL!! They were mostly (very arrogant young) men, who thought the (me!) generation knew nothing. The Joke was on them!! Tee-hee :) sorry! I miss being critical!

Jessica- Guatemala says: