Color Block Dress with Front Flower (5 & 10 Designs)

I was asked a while ago to try out a new eBook of patterns, that included 10 dress styles for little girls, up to size 10.

Ummmmm……yes!  I have a 2-year-old AND a 7-year-old.  Kinda perfect.

The 5 and 10 Designs eBook is a collaborative effort by 5 different creative and crazy skilled bloggers: Jessica of The Sewing Rabbit, Jessica of Craftiness Is Not Optional, Heidi of Elegance and Elephants, Delia of Delia Creates, and Stefanie of Girl. Inspired.

Uhhh……hello!  Quite the group, right?

Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 8.01.51 AM

So many designs and styles, so many creative options to choose from……all in one collection.

And if you’d rather add sleeves, they’ve got you covered!

Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 8.00.04 AM

Things like this get me all excited inside.  Truly!  The only hard part……was choosing which design to try first.

I finally decided on this cute color block dress.  And my gosh, I’m in polka dot love!

Color Block Dress with Front Flower --- Make It and Love It

I added cover buttons to the back….with the same pink fabric as the flower in the front.  Those bobbly buttons make me all sorts of happy!

Color Block Dress with Front Flower --- Make It and Love It

The skirt is full and flouncy.  Definitely a requirement for this “I-wanna-wear-a-FANCY-dress-today-momma” girl of mine!  And the fullness really shows off that awesome color blocking design.

Color Block Dress with Front Flower --- Make It and Love It

That flower.  It was an after thought and isn’t part of the pattern.  But holy smokes, that flower adds a lot of sunshine to those polka dots.  So glad I had some scrap hot pink knit in my stash.  (Flower was constructed like…..oh wait, I thought I already had a tutorial and was ready to link to it.  I do have several other fabric flower varieties…..just not this exact one.  But if enough people are interested, I’ll put together some quick instructions and share.  Super simple.)

Color Block Dress with Front Flower --- Make It and Love It

**UPDATE:  The Ruffled Flower tutorial is complete.  Enjoy! -Ashley

The instructions for this dress were fantastic.  Lots of pictures, plenty of clarifications and options…….and the sleeve addition was perfect for our chilly winter weather.  Check.  (Though, check out the snow on the ground but the beautiful sun and blue skies.  Colorado…..you’re dreamy!)

Color Block Dress with Front Flower --- Make It and Love It

Oh, this little Chloe gal.  She is quite the girly-girl.  (She is a chapstick/lipstick/jewelry swiper…..and oooh, she’s quick!)  I thought after having Elli, a girl couldn’t get any girlier.  I was wrong.   So this flouncy dress was absolutely PERFECT for her!

Color Block Dress with Front Flower --- Make It and Love It

This pattern was just what I needed to fill my sewing itch the other day.  Lots of designs, same basic dress shape, a variety of skill levels…….all in one eBook, tied up in a bow!  Read more about the 5 & 10 Designs eBook here.

Thanks to all 5 of you sewing pals!  This was seriously so much fun to make.  Can’t wait to make more!

-Ashley

**UPDATE:  The Ruffled Flower tutorial is complete.  Enjoy! -Ashley

Filed under Baby, Children, Clothing, Featured, Sewing

Comments

42 Responses to “Color Block Dress with Front Flower (5 & 10 Designs)”
    Delia says:

Ashley! I love it! The polka dots are dreamy. Thank you for sewing up a dress for your adorable Chloe. :)

Jess Abbott says:

This is so so so adorable! Those polka dots are perfect for it!!!

Stef says:

I seriously cannot even stand the perfection of the black and white polka dots with that hot pink flower. This may be my favorite variation yet. Thank you so much for sharing the book, Ashley! You’re amazing!

Amy says:

I LOVE it! This is one of my favorites from this book! I LOVE the flower addition, and would be grateful if you would post instructions for this one. Beautiful dress for a beautiful girl! I have a chapstick / jewelry swiper at my house who goes from wanting to wear camo like her brother, to wanting to be Cinderella! :)

Thanks Amy…..and haha, you have the same little thief in your house. Little turkeys! :)

And I think I’ll do that little flower tomorrow or the next day. No biggee! :)

-Ashley

Elizabeth says:

Adorable! I have 3 granddaughters who are benefitting from your blog. Would love for you to share how to make the flower. Thanks so much!!!

That’s great Elizabeth…..those little granddaughters are lucky little ladies!

And I think I’ll do that little flower tomorrow or the next day.
      -Ashley

Cathy says:

So darling
    Love love this
    you’re so absolutely talented
    would love to get a pink flower tutorial please
    Cheers

Kim E says:

Super cute! Would love the flower tutorial. Can never have to many flowers when I have 3 girls!

Polka dots! Love! That dress is adorable, but polka dots put it over the top!

Leeanne says:

I think this dress is soooooo cute! I love, love, love polka dots!!! Please do a post on the flower:)

Denise says:

I love the polka dot dress, and that bright pink flower really popped it! Seeing your beautiful pictures really put a smile on my face. :) Brought back some great memories of long ago when I use to sew little adorable dresses. :)

alice s. says:

Yes please on the flower tutorial!

Kerrie says:

She is so sweet! And the dress is so cute!!! <3
    Love the polka dots!

Marie says:

This looks so incredibly sweet! Chloe does a great job modeling the dress! And the colourblocked polka dot is so prefect, I might just have to snatch that idea and make myself a dress like this!

I think this would look stunning on ladies too! I’m going to have to admit that it would look terrible on my shape…..but could be really darling on some! :)

And thanks Marie, we kinda love that little Chloe too! :)

Kristie says:

Yes please for a flower tutorial. I was asked by someone to make a flower similar to this one, and I would love any help!
    The dress is adorable, the polka dots are so perfect!

Allison says:

Oh my goodness!! That’s so stinkin cute :) My girls would both love a dress like this. I need to invest in this pattern and make some ASAP. That Chloe is a little doll, my girls are very girly too and I love it! Great job on this adorable dress Ashley!

Amanda says:

Wow, Chloe is ADORABLE in that dress! I don’t have any little girls, but I want that dress for me! Any idea where I could find a similar pattern for women?

Thanks Amanda……I kinda feel the same way when I see her in it! :)

And you know, now that I’ve seen how the creator of the pattern created the curved color blocking…..it would be really simple to create on a grown-up version. You’d just have to either create your own pattern or find a pattern for a basic dress with a gathered skirt section. Good luck! -Ashley

Kathy Rosted says:

The dress is very cute….The face is priceless, you’re a lucky woman…

Lindsey says:

What kind of material did you make the dress from?

Alisha says:

I think this is probably my favorite dress that you’ve ever posted! SO adorable. And when did Chloe get so big???

Do you have a slip under the black and white dress to hold it out so nicely?

how cute.. and perfect dress for princess