Halloween Costume Ideas: Minions from Dispicable Me

This past summer, we took all three kiddos to the theater to see Dispicable Me II.  I never saw the first one, and frankly, I didn’t really care to see the second one.  But oh my…….we ALL loved it!  Such a cute little movie.

minion2

Anyway…..after we saw it, I remember the kiddos saying that they wanted to be minions for Halloween.  Well, that was like 37 ideas ago, so they didn’t actually make my kids’ final cut.  Ha!

But many of you were curious as to how to make one……and the ideas that I had brewing in my head, would have taken too long to be a “simple” costume idea for this month.

However, I found so many ideas around the web that are ADORABLE!!  So maybe one of these will be helpful…

These little hats from Make and Takes is kinda the direction my brain was going.  And if you can’t find yellow beanies…..try making your own hat, like the Penguin costume.

However, if you don’t want to make your own glasses……how about buying some steampunk goggles like these:

Another clever idea is to use a yellow hooded sweatshirt and build your costume from that, like Andrea from One Creative Housewife.  Cute!

Or create a stuffed minion head from a basic sweatshirt construction, like Jessica from Running with Scissors.  How cute is that?!!! And check out that little Gru! Ha!

Or……if you want to go really simple, I thought these hard hats were a clever idea from Coolest Homemade Costumes.

Or how about a cute little crocheted hat, like this one from Behind the Hook……or maybe make your own??  (I don’t crochet….so I’m not sure how easy/difficult this would be.)

Or if you’re feeling really ambitious………how about making a Minion Costume from a garbage can with a rounded lid like they did at Coolest Handmade Costumes.  So clever!

Or create your own mold with some flexible paneling and some paper mache, like Sarah did from While They Snooze.  Loved this too!

And to top it all off……why not make some of these darling Minion Cake Pops, from Bakerella.  Ha……SO DARN CUTE!!

Anyway, if you’re thinking of making your kiddos a Minion Costume…..hopefully these ideas will help!

Now, get going——-

Gather your supplies…….and get measuring/gluing/cutting/sewing!!!!!!

And another thing…….enjoy your weekend!

-Ashley

Filed under Children, Featured, Halloween Costumes, Holiday

Comments

20 Responses to “Halloween Costume Ideas: Minions from Dispicable Me”
    Chelsey says:

You could even buy a white sweatshirt from a craft store and dye it yellow!

Isetta says:

I am planning on doing the sweatshirt/overalls idea for my kiddos and adding the pink tutu for my 2 year old little girl.

Brenda says:

Please tell me you saw the first movie after loving the second one! It is so good!

Nina Mink says:

I LOVE that you posted this today! I just posted my very first tutorial ten minutes ago — for my kids’ minion costumes! <=D I'm super proud of them … So please check them out!

Stefi says:

My two little boys will have minion costumes this year . They’re done already, the only costume left is mine, I’ll be Victor from the first movie. My husband will be Gru.
    If you loved the second movie you should definitely see the first one also. Frankly I had more expectations for the second and was kind of disappointed…

Kinley says:

Uhhhh, I thought the second movie was AMAZING!! I thought it was even better than the first? And I think it would be better if you were Lucy instead of Victor.

Hello! Thank you for featuring my crocheted minion hat in your blog I really appreciate it.. I love all these ideas you had put together for a minion Halloween costume! keep it up!

Cheers!
    L.Claire

FIRANNA says:

SUPER!!!extra!!! I like it :-)))

I am from Poland and i love your blog :-).

Welcome to my blog : : http://firannaszyje.blogspot.com/

See you!!!!

Celeste O says:

My kids are both planning to be Minions. My son will be a yellow minion and my daughter a purple minion.

Kristina Noall says:

Those cake pops (?!) are way too cute to eat!

Nicole says:

I would mess those cake pops up so bad…..They look super difficult, but SO cute. I’d feel guilty eating them after all that hard work :)

Kennedy says:

We did the hooded sweatshirt route last Halloween but couldn’t find one in my then 20 month old daughters size so I bought some yellow fleece and made on patterned from a sweat shirt she already had. We found steam punk goggles and punched out the lenses and painted her face yellow. Kids and adults alike would squeal excitedly as we walked from house to house. LOL It was fun, but more fun than that was watching adults recognize my middle daughters costume. Took me all month to make her costume since you can’t find anything like that anywhere.

Pictures here: http://bradyandkennedylantzfamily.blogspot.com/2012/11/halloween-2012.html

Vanessa says:

Just saw this and thought it could help some people out. Minion beanie! http://m.journeys.com/kidz/product.aspx?id=275569&c=896,901&g=w&sb=pa

Dian says:

Hi ! i just wonder where i can buy the yellow hat?
    Thanks

Thanks for pulling these together! I will be sure to share these on Pinterest nearer halloween! :)