Let me tell you what I’ve REALLY been up to…

Okay, time to let that ol’ Cat Out of the Bag.  I’ve been carrying around an iiiiiiiiiiitty bitty little secret for a while.

No, I’m not pregnant.

chloe

(Oh my word, this was when Chloe was born.  I can’t believe how small [haha....11 pounds isn't small] she was.)

No, we’re not moving again.

moving

(And thank goodness for that!)

No, I haven’t been secretly been blogging from a Tulip field in Holland for the past 6 months.  (However, that IS a dream of mine!)

tulips-field-holland

Image Source

Over the past year and a half, I’ve been, well, working on……

……..a book.

books4

Image Source

Ack!!  I know, it still feels weird to say it.  And still makes my face flush.  But yep, I’ve been secretly writing a book.  It still seems weird.  But yes, a hidden little secret that I’ve kept for a YEAR AND A HALF!!  Mostly because I kept waiting for something to fall through.  Or not really work out.  And I didn’t want to have to spill the bad news that the book was no longer coming.  (Yeah, confidence issues, I know…but I never would have guessed that I’d have a book published.  Yeah, pinch me.)  And it’s totally no one’s fault but my own that it took this long.  From the initial contact from an agent, the ideas, the proposals, the book idea auction to different publishers, to the first draft that is now complete…..whew, it took me some time.

The final leg of the book has been a little crazy because of that whole buying-our-first-home thing that happened in April.  The packing, the moving, the painting, re-decorating, etc.  Yeah, bad timing really.  But when a rental lease is up and you happen to find a home you like, you jump on that like PRONTO!  Even if your book draft is due a few months later.

house

By the way, when did I ever think, “hmmmmm, I should write a book!“??  Never.  I still get weird twinges in my gut just thinking about it.  But you know, the risk, the extra effort, the late nights…..they’ve all been worth it.

But, here’s the bummer news……it won’t be out for another year.  Yeah, that whole publishing things takes some time to finish off the final edits and then print off that little beauty.  But at least I can talk about it now…..whew!!  Double whew!  (Not that I was forbidden to talk about it.  It was just me and that whole “what if it just doesn’t work out?” thing that I have had going on in my head.)  I just have a few beauty shots (you know, the final and most glorious picture of each project) to take, and then my part will be completely done.  I can’t really share many details about it (other than there are 50 projects stuffed in there)…..but I’m going to go ahead and let you guess that it’s a craft-type book, and not a steamy romance novel.  Ha!

Anyway, if you’re interested in the details of writing a book, I can write up a post and share.  But the shortened details involve Katherine, the agent who contacted me with a few ideas (who’s been incredibly patient and encouraging)……..and Running Press (Perseus), the publisher who snagged up the book proposal and are now doing all the finishing work.  They have both been extremely understanding with my family situations, moving, and other road blocks…..and I have loved working with them both! :)

Anyway, more details and sneak peeks over the next several months or so.  The wait is killing me though.  It’s like having a newborn and not letting a single soul see him/her.  No fair. :)

Thanks for listening to the ramble.  And thanks for sitting across from me (at your computer) and listening to my exciting news.  I couldn’t be more grateful for all the blog love I’ve gotten from you friends all these years.  And especially those who have said, “hey, why don’t you write a book?”  Thanks for the extra boost I needed when trying to decide to move forward with this.  Wow.

Anyway, we’ll talk again soon.  And you’ll see me around here a LOT MORE from now on.  And that’s a good thing……because I’ve missed the random “oh, I should make that” moments, that have always been my favorite part about blogging. :)

-Ashley

Filed under Family, Featured

Comments

111 Responses to “Let me tell you what I’ve REALLY been up to…”
    Rebecca says:

Nice! yes i would like to hear about what it takes to write a book.

Michelle L says:

Yay for you, Ashley! I understand completely about keeping it under wraps. Congratulations on the publishing-to-be!

Nicole says:

Oh my goodness. I started reading and thought immediately, “I was there all afternoon and she didn’t tell me she was pregnant?” hahaha Phew! You scared me for a second! btw Chloe was an adorably chunky baby:)

Julie says:

I’ve always (since finding your blog) thought you should write a book. Your tutorials are always so well done and informative! Looking forward to the book!!!

Kayli Sue says:

YES please write a post on how to publish a book! I’ve always wanted to write one. I have some ideas that are always in my head. But I have no idea where to get started!

Jamie Myers says:

Yay!! Congrats and welcome back!! :-)

azie says:

Dear Ashley,
    I love your blog. It will be inspiring if you can share the details in writing a book. I would love to try it.Thank you, in advance.
    Love,
    from malaysia

Jill says:

Congratulations! I’ve always thought it would be awesome to write a book. I’m excited to see it.

Anne says:

I’ve read your blog for a long time and never commented, but this is so exciting! I’d love to read a post of your experience.
    And I’ll eagerly await its release. Congrats!

Andrea Farris says:

I can’t wait to buy it! My boys still use the Peter Pan costume I made from your directions. And now that we have a baby girl I can’t wait delve into all your girly crafts and sewing projects! Good luck! I am so excited for you :)

Kelly O. says:

oh wow! congrats! I will buy it IMMEDIATELY!! I mean when it comes out…

Lana says:

That is such exciting news! You are by far my favorite craft blog, and I go ahead and try like every other thing you post! Some other bloggers have done books and I’ve never even been tempted to buy them, but I’ll definitely buy your book! Thanks for all the time and talent you put into your blog!!!

Nicole P says:

So happy for you! That is very exciting news! Congrats! Can’t wait to read the book :)

Bethany says:

Your blog has been such a wonderful resource to me in learning how to sew. I’m so thankful for all the time you spend putting all your tutorials together, and that they are all so very well done. Excited to hear about the book!!

Amanda :) says:

Oops, I meant to say AMAZING NEWS! What a heavy, totally scary but blessed thing to carry around! Well, we all celebrate you, with you and your new venture! How you and all the other ladies (writing books) with families do it, is beyond me. I’m certain hubby is a wonderful support. Great job!

Caryn Jones says:

WHAT THE WHAT?!?!?! ASHLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That’s so awesome. I can’t wait to buy it. You are such a rock star!!!!!!!!xoxox

Jessica says:

Yay! I’m so excited to see the finished product and add it to my bookshelf! Congratulations! Keep up the great work and know that you’re an inspiration to the rest of us :)

Allison says:

Ha- Hah, I Guessed Correctly! Not surprised at all. It’s going to be awesome, for sure!

Keneshia says:

Yayy Congrats cant wait to hear more . Would love to hear about what it takes to publish a book .

Tara Layton says:

Ahhhh!!! I am SO PROUD OF YOU!!! You are amazing! You know you are one of those cool successful people that give people in our little home town someone to brag about! ;) I’ll be buying one for each of my friends for gifts for sure!

Carla Fernandes says:

Great news, congratulations! Can’t wait to see it published, I’m a big fan of your projects ;) xoxo

Yay! This is wonderful news! Congratulations!

Eva Scott says:

Congrats! That’s beyond exciting news!!! Can’t wait to get my hands on it.

Jean says:

Congratulations! I can’t wait to buy it. Yay!

Anne Lee says:

Yeah Ashley! I am so proud of you for pushing through your doubts! I just know your book is going to be awesome, because your blog is awesome. I can’t wait to buy your book!

Emilie says:

Yay! yay! yay!

what a very, very, cool thing! I cannot wait to see it. well done!

Jolena says:

That’s fantastic! You have so much good material on here, I’m not even one bit surprised you could fill a book. Can’t wait to see it!

Rebekah says:

You are fun. I saw your email pop up, and I jumped right on to see what your big news was! So happy for you. This is like birthing a baby! Just a different sort of labor! Congratulations! And I totally get your hesitation. You remind me a lot of me. Wish you were closer…I’d love to hang out! ;)

Judy says:

Hi,

Just read about you trials and tribulations in writing a book, and I just want to say “Great Job” you played the game and came out a winner. What a great story, and the fear you faced showed you that you really are a super talented gal!!

Contratulations!!!

alice s. says:

SUH-WEET! I’ve always been a big fan of all your “stuff”, and I’m sure the book will be just as fab! Congrats!

Kathryn says:

I can’t wait to see, let alone buy this book!!!! So happy for you and would love to hear anything else you’re willing to share!!!

Christy says:

Super excited for you! Can’t wait to read it!

Lynn Colwell says:

Congratulations! Having been through the process, I know that feeling of–is it really going to happen??? And in fact, our publishing company went out of business seven weeks before we went to print! But not to worry, it was a small one and I’m sure yours will be just fine. Just to commiserate on the feelings about is it going to happen? Anyway, I’ll look forward to seeing it. Amazing you did so much with the move and all. Love your work!

Carol says:

Yes I’ve always wanted to write a bok. I’d love to hear about the process a writer goes through to write and publish a book.

Janice says:

WooHoo! Congratulations! I cannot wait to see it.

Congrats! Can’t wait to see it!

Angieg says:

Congrats on your almost newborn book! We look forward to all the details

Sharlyn says:

Glad it’s finally done…so excited for you!

Mindy says:

totally thought you had another baby! lol congrats! (on the booK!)

aussiebeachgirl says:

Exciting news and a big thumbs up to you for going out on a limb! It would be fun to hear how you went about tackling the intricacies of putting together a book – and finding a publisher interested enough to print it. Well done, you! heather x

Katrina says:

Would love to hear more about publishing a book! Congratulations to you–that’s so exciting and very deserving! <3

Katrina

Sharon says:

Congratulations! You do a wonderful job with your website so I know this book is going to be a BEST SELLER :)

susana says:

El universo esta a su favor.Felicidades!

Jen F says:

What exciting news – congratulations!! You are an inspiration!

Eli says:

I would love to hear about your publishing experience and any tips on working with an agent.

Rachel says:

Super cool! I would love to hear about your experience. I’ve secretly had the same thought of writing a book for ages now. Just don’t know where to start. Or if I would want to think about the work that goes in to it! congratulations!

SB says:

Really want to know the details! Been toying with the dream of writing a book.

ConnieG says:

Yea You!!!!

Sharlyn says:

Congrats on the book! Can’t wait to see it ( and buy one ). ;-)

Arunitha says:

Congratulations!!!!!!!! :)

stephanie says:

I never ever comment because I’m lazy that way, but I had to add my two cents that I ditto what’s already been said. You have the BEST tutorials I’ve seen online. You definitely have a gift making everything easy to understand. I’m totally not surprised they approached you with a book deal and I can’t WAIT to see it!

Tamizh Arasi says:

Congrats :) Waiting to know more about the book :D

Kel in Oz says:

You’re amazing and awesome and so brave. I’m happy and so very excited for you! YOU WILL ROCK IT!!! Totally rock it :)

julie says:

So exciting! I can’t wait to see and hear more about it :)

Beaulah McLean says:

You are so blessed! What wonderful news :) you do have a special talent in writing, what better way to honor that than to write a book? Well done Ashley. <3

SMac says:

How beautiful Chloe is. What a blessing! Love her and mom’s precious smile.
    Congratulations and God bless your newest addition to you family.

Ellie says:

Ashley, that is WONDERFUL!! How exciting to write a book! I can see why you were approached, you’re tutorials are explained so well that anyone can follow them…seasoned or not. I’m sure your book will have a good following. Can’t wait till it comes out!! Then I won’t have to “save” anymore.

Virginie says:

Wow, Ashley, that is some exciting news! I’ll make sure to buy your book when it comes out, because I love your projects, and your blog! So, keep going, and it will be a pleasure to read you more often as well :) Love from France!

Nakia says:

Congratulations. You’re such an inspiration!

Congratulations!! That is so exciting!! I can completely relate. My first book releases this October (Sew Classic Clothes for Girls) and it feels like I have been waiting for it to release for forever. The idea of writing another one gives me a pit in my stomach because it is SO much work…….people truly have no idea. Especially project based books. But once the work is all done, it feels amazing and is all worth it. I am so excited for you and can’t wait to see what’s inside. Yay!!! Go girl!!

Jaren says:

Congratulations! You are so very talented, and I know your book will be awesome! Can’t wait to see it!

Congratulations! You are such a great story teller and teacher. I love the way you explain things. Can’t wait to read more about your new journey.
    :) Brooke

SallyJ says:

Awweeee-some! That’s one book that I will buy! Excited for you and me!

Christine says:

congrats on the book! that’s wonderful!

I did want to mention however that i find the moving ads on your website realllllllly distracting. they take a lot away from the posts and are an annoyance. maybe youll consider relegating them to the sidebar?

Susan says:

Good for you Ashley! You really are ambitious and set such a great example to me.

Sunnie says:

That is exciting!! I am also interested in the post on writing a book!

Candace says:

I’ve never posted here before but I read your blog everyday, and I just had to write to congratulate you! I’ve made several of your projects and yours is my go-to sewing/fun craft blog and your book is going to be awesome! I’m really happy for you. I’m looking forward to the the updates and sneak peeks, and of course to your book. Best of luck to you and God bless you and your family.

How exciting! Congrats! :)

Stephanie says:

So exciting! Can’t wait to get it when it comes out.

Dana says:

WHEW! Glad you let the news out! The world is happy to receive it! Can’t wait to see/buy the book!

Adrienne says:

Oh Ashely –I am so excited for you!!!! Congrats- buying your book will save me on printer ink- seeing how I love to print out the pictures and directions for your cute crafts. Love you and thanks for sharing your amazing talent girl!!!!

Alysha says:

This will be so great! I am excited to read it when it comes out and hear more about it! PS, your little Chloe picture just kills me- such a cute little chunk! Totally meant as a compliment, hope you feel that way too; I LOVE chunky babies. My first was 6 lbs, and the second was almost 9, so we’re workin’ our way up!

Yay! You must be so proud. Congratulations and I can’t wait to hear more about it.

Sami Veloso says:

Congratulations, it must be so exciting!

Stacey says:

Ha – I thought you were pregnant and sick!! Congrats on this baby instead!!

Jenn says:

Congratulations!!! Can’t wait to see the final product!

Katherine says:

Yay, cat’s out of the bag! I’ve so very much enjoyed working with you on this book too!

Alisa says:

Great job Ashley!! Cannot wait to get my hands on the book and I’m so glad you finally told us, yey for you!

Katie C. says:

I’ve been wondering when you were going to write a book! Congratulations!!! I’d love a post on your process.

debbie says:

Ugh,, now we have to wait a year! But oh wow, how exciting, so happy for you. I will definitely be buying that one. I point my girls to your site all the time because of the cute things you make. Congratulations.

April says:

Congratulations!!! I’ve been waiting for you to write a book and now can hardly wait for it to come out and buy it. Love your blog and your tutorials are incredibly well written.

Emily says:

Yay! Congratulations! I’m so excited about your book!

Stephanie says:

I’m so excited for you! I cannot wait for your book to come out so that I can buy one! I love your blog and I’m sure your book will be just as fabulous! :)

Sheena says:

Congrats!! I know you are excited!! I can’t wait to get my copy.

Kristen O. says:

OMG! I just read your post. Congrats to you and your family! That is such an AMAZING accomplishment. You deserve a world of success. I love reading your blog and can’t wait to get my hands on your book.

cucicucicoo says:

So exciting! I’m sure it will be gorgeous and full of amazing ideas (as all the things you do). And I’d love to hear about the behind-the-scenes of writing a book! Congrats! :) Lisa

Ok, ok so what is the book about (sewing and such or totally something else) and when can we read it?!?!

Caroline says:

How exciting! And you’re welcome to visit the tulip fields here whenever you’d like ;-)

Caroline from Rotterdam, the Netherlands

Misslois says:

A book ! Félicitations !
    I really like your website and continue to create !
    Good luck.

Heloise, France

ira lee says:

congrats!!!!! that is really exciting!!

Congratulations on your book! Fabulous news. I admit I don’t follow many blogs (less than a handful), but I love yours. I teach sewing to kids (mine and several of their friends) and always gravitate back to your blog when looking for a project. Can’t wait to see the book.