Do you remember last summer, when I posted about Downy’s Touch of Comfort/Quilt for Kids program?   (It’s a program that Downy created in 2009, helping to provide free fabric to willing seamstresses, who construct the quilts, return them as soon as they can……and the quilts are then distributed to children in hospitals all over the U.S.)

Millions of children are hospitalized each year and just imagine for a second, how scary that must feel to them.  To be in sterile rooms, poked and prodded by strangers, and not allowed to bring favorite blankies or animals from home (due to allergy and sanitary reasons).  Through Downy’s Touch of Comfort program, little kiddos are given a bit of cheer (through a handmade quilt), which can make a hard stay at the hospital, a little more bearable.  Once I heard about the program, I was sold.  I know how to sew.  And I knew I could whip up a quilt or two to send off.  I loved it!

And so did many of you.  The response was really incredible.  (In fact, Downy has helped donate over 30,000 quilts since joining in the efforts with Quilts for Kids to comfort children.)

This is what I (and many of you) received in the mail:

downy3

And I turned it into this sweet little 4-Patch-Quilt:

downy4

I remember Chloe (only 1-year-old then) thinking this quilt was for her and wouldn’t let it go.  I had to wait until she wasn’t looking, to get it back from her.  Which validated all my work……….to see it loved by little hands! :)

downy5

By the way, they have to charge $6 to help pay for shipping the fabric kits out to you.  Yeah, $6 isn’t a huge deal when the fabric is free and all picked out and coordinated for you…..but I just wanted you to know! :)

**But the help doesn’t stop there.**

Downy is providing a way for EVERYONE to help, even if you don’t sew!

How To Help:

• Visit the Downy Touch of Comfort Facebook page
  • Leave a comment, sharing what brings you comfort (i.e. family, rainbows, hugs, etc.)
  • $2 will be donated for every comment left.
  • Easy as that. :)

What a great way to spread goodness!  And I promise, you won’t leave there feeling grumpy.  You’ll probably end up reading others’ comments (like I did), and leave feeling even better than when you clicked over.  It’s a win-win. :)

And just so you can see great things happening with Downy’s Touch of Comfort and the Quilts for Kids program, here’s a quick video clip:

Okay, and one more……because I loved learning a little more about the founder of Quilts for Kids.  Linda Arye, a woman who had a hospitalized child herself, developed this idea from necessity.  What a kind heart……and phenomenal organization! :)

Anyway, consider signing up to make a quilt of your own to donate.

Or leave a comment, which will turn into a $2 donation to Quilts for Kids.  Or do both.

Either way, it’ll brighten your day!

-Ashley

Filed under Featured, Sewing

Comments

51 Responses to “Downy Touch of Comfort/Quilts for Kids (Donate $2 by just leaving a response. Easy.)”
    Ellie says:

I had not heard of this program before, but we have a quilt my daughter got when she was in the hospital.and it definitely added some needed color and love to her room. She was 1 1/2 when she was hospitalized for a month. She is almost 9 now and the perfect age to help me make a quilt to send to someone else. Thanks for posting the info so we can join in the effort!

Kim says:

I am so glad you reminded us of this program. I remember your post last year but set it aside and promptly forgot about it. I just ordered a kit (shipping wasn’t free but I don’t mind in the least) and can’t wait to help. Thanks so much!

Someone else just emailed me about the shipping price. Ooops, I messed that up. I adjusted that in my post though……so thanks!!

And best of luck, you’ll truly enjoy putting yours together! :)
      -Ashley

Angela says:

Awesome idea!

Jessica says:

I wish I had any experience with quilting! What a great program!

Shel says:

I had never heard about this program. Thanks for posting this. I ordered two kits today. It’ll be a great first quilt for my daughter to make too! Love your blog BTW :-)

deb in texas says:

what gives me comfort? a cozy, rainy afternoon curled up on the couch with a quilt and a book! doesn’t get much better than that!

Jennifer says:

Good luck! Wish I could participate (Canadian.)

Kathryn says:

What a great service! I need to remember this when my kids are just a little older and I have a tiny bit more time. Great way to get some much needed quilting in while serving others!

Janai says:

Thank you so much for this post! I haven’t sewn a quilt yet but your posts and tutorials have given me the courage to learn!! I just requested my kit and I can’t wait to get started!!

Christine says:

Thanks so much for sharing! I’m no expert seamstress, but I can sew straight lines! Just ordered a kit! Thanks again for the idea!

Beth says:

I loved this post when I saw it last time and was so excited to give it a try! I was working on a quilt of my own at the time and decided to practice machine quilting (since that’s required for the Touch of Comfort quilts)… huge fail. :( I even spent the $40 on a “walking foot” for my machine to make it easier and it did NOT work. So sad! I was beyond frustrated so I gave up! My own quilt now sits unfinished because I can’t decide if I am “allowed” to finish it by hand (haha!), or if I can bear the messed up machine stitching… I don’t want to pick all those stitches out. Sometimes projects just get derailed! :)

Anyway, that said…. would you consider a machine quilting tutorial, maybe? Pretty please? :)

Caroline says:

Funny, I just ordered 2 kits yesterday. I thought it would be great to let my older two kids help put them together. Thanks for getting the word out about this program:)

I love this so much friend!

M'Recia says:

I love being snuggled by my puppies :)

How cool! I wanted to thank you for posting about Quilts For Kids last year- I read that post & immediately signed up & made a quilt to donate! I’ve been meaning to find the time to make another one for them & this post just helped motivate me :) Going to go leave them a comment right now. Thanks again! I love the idea for this whole program & seeing this response is amazing.

Christy says:

This is such an amazing program. My comfort comes from my sweetheart and God.

Autumn says:

My Hubby, and Children!

Chelsea says:

Thank you for supporting this positive cause. I feel comfort when I am cuddling with my little ones and they get comfort from their blankies, just like all the children will that are being blessed by this program!

Kristina Noall says:

It keeps telling me there is no Facebook page by that name, both searching and using the link :(

There are also QFK Chapters in most states. A lot of them have quilting sew-ins and then they donate the quilts to local children’s hospitals, ill child camps, etc. Check on QFK’s website for more details about that.

I have a special needs son and when he was having a major surgery, I brought along his favorite tractor quilt… it brought such comfort to him (and us) and made the room feel more like home… I started sewing for quilts for the children’s hospital since then. It really does help kids, helps the parents know that they are not alone, and so much more.

molly says:

What brings me comfort is friends, family, and food! Also a good solid blankey!

Rhonda B says:

This is very sweet & lil one’s love soft comfy blankies. I’ve always wanted to make a quilt out of my kids old tshirts n such. One day I will, they are 29, 20 & 18 yrs old! hahahha! I just stumbled across your blog. I really like it.

Stephanie C. says:

Wish I had a sewing machine and new how to quilt!

I can’t wait to get my kit!!

Patsy says:

This looks like a perfect project for my teen granddaughter. She needs to do a project before finishing high school. Helping to comfort kids in hospitals is an awesome why to help out. Plus will give us time to spend together. Glad I found this project!

Laura says:

I’ve heard of this before… I can’t wait to try this! :)

Lucy says:

Nice way to serve.

Ellen says:

I would love to make one of these!

Kim-the-girl says:

Last year, after I saw your post, I signed right up with my local chapter. They sent me my kit and asked for me to make one out of my own stash as well. So I made my 2 quilts and haven’t had chance to do another (having baby #6 took some time… not to mention energy!) but as soon as we are settled in our new home I will find my new chapter. Thanks for the reminder. It felt so good to do that service for others! Everyone who can sew a straight line should do this!!! It is so worth it!

Jennifer says:

Just received the kit for my second quilt today!! Was inspired by your previous post and really enjoyed making the first quilt! Thanks for sharing.

Jenny says:

I just got my second kit in the mail! My first took quite a while as we had a huge upheaval in our life, but I finished it and hope that it brightens a little kid’s day soon. This is a great opportunity to help others and get your sewing fix:)

Oh good…..glad you ordered another one! And yes, I’m sure that first quilt made some child very happy! Good luck with the second one! :)

Jess says:

Oh, this is so fabulous. I love that Downy does this! (Not sure how I missed it the first time around!) I’ll have to work on my sewing skills before I can help on the sewing end, however…

Megan says:

I don’t know how I missed your post last year, but I’m glad you re-posted about this program. I ordered my kit, it arrived yesterday, and I’m set up at the table right now with all my pieces, ready to start (now that the toddler is “sleeping” in bed – ha!). It came with instructions… but of course, I’m here to follow yours (from last year). Phew. Thank GOODNESS for your (always) easy to follow instructions. When I finish this one, I’m making one from my stash!

And the picture of Chloe with the quilt melts my heart – great picture!

Oh good! I’m glad it came already…….and I’m also glad that old tutorial was useful. What a fulfilling project, huh? :)

Best of luck!

• 33.1.1
        Megan says:

Ok! June 24th the kit arrived, and the finished quilt was sent back on September 3rd. That’s 10 weeks, if you’re counting (and hopefully they’re not… “send back in 4-6 weeks” is just a suggestion, right?). But I did it! And you were so kind to comment on my original comment to you that I wanted to come back and let you know that I finished it. It’s not the world’s most perfect quilt. It was all done during toddler sleep times. I hope it finds a little boy somewhere (the pattern was baseball gloves… just assuming) and makes him very happy!

Thanks again for re-posting, and for the awesome tutorials (which I followed each step of the way).

Cass says:

Being w/ my family brings me comfort – I love them!

Kellie says:

Being around my family and friends! This is a great program; bring on the comments!!!

mariah says:

just wanted to make a comment for the donation :)

M says:

What a great organization.

What a good service! i want to recollect this once my children ar simply slightly older and that i have a small bit longer. good way to induce some a lot of required quilting in whereas serving others!

Michelle Nielson says:

Hey Girl!! Where did you get your leather Couch? Do you Love it? I am having the hardest time finding something I love so any help would be great! Miss you!

Morgan Paul says:

I haven’t looked through all of your website just yet but do you have a tutorial on how to make a quilt? I am just learning how to sew and wanted to make one for my daughter first (she is disabled and is usually in and out of hospitals) but I would love to also participate in a program like this but need to know how to make one first.

jayna says:

i really like it

Janai says:

Hey Ashley! Are you doing this again this year?