My budding seamstress…..well, kind of. ;)

Have you seen these darling Personalized Serving Utensils from Pick Your PlumUmmmm…..I think I have Mother’s Day gifts checked off the list.  Or hmmmm, maybe a wedding gift.  Or neighbor gift. Or……I’ll stop.  :)  I just thought they were too cute to not share.

Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 1.18.43 PM

Also, one more thing.  Amy, over at Mod Podge Rocks created a brand new site called Washi Tape Crafts You all know my love for Washi Tape……but a whole site dedicated to crafting with it????  Adorable!

Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 1.19.49 PM

. . . . .

We are last minute packing right now.  Do you know what that means for the Johnston’s??  Well, grab and dump, grab and dump…  At this point, it doesn’t matter what goes into what box.  Just deal with it later. :)

And what do my kids do while I’m “last minute packing”?  (shared on Instagram this morning @makeitandloveit)

Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 12.37.35 PM

(And yes, that is a HUGE “old school” TV that came with the rental, that they are glued to.  Don’t worry, it won’t do permanent damage. ;) )

. . . . .

Anyway, I actually have a fun little project to share……but, well, the images weren’t done to share it today.  I had to pack the linen closet this morning instead.  Booooo.  Believe me, I’d much rather edit photos. :)  So, I’ll get that up on Monday because it’s thiiiiiiiis close to being done.

But, one more funny little thing.

A few days ago while I was packing, Elli came up to me and said, “Look mommy, I’ve been sewing like you!

She excitedly told me all about making herself a new dress.  She told me about the Target bags that she used, where she cut it, how she used the handles for straps, etc.  (I’m just glad she didn’t take off her other clothes, to rely on her creation for any sort of coverage…..that would have been a problem. ;) )

elli dress

(Obviously I wasn’t packing the family room [which is behind her] at the time.  So glad that room is now finally checked off the list. :) )

I asked her what the jumbled beads on the front were for and she told me that it was an attached necklace.  “Ahhhh.  I, see it now!”

IMG_2172

And then she showed me the “diamond” at the end.  (Yes, that’s a gum wrapper…)

IMG_2171

It made my heart smile.  Reaaaaaaally big.  I hope she’ll always enjoy making clothing.  Plastic or not! :)

But it also reminded me that I have some KID SEWING PROJECTS up my sleeve to share in the near future.  Remember how many of you requested Kid Sewing Projects when we were voting on the next project for me to make??

Well, they’ll start popping up in the near-ish future.

. . . . .

Anyway, I’ll be back next week with more normal stuff that I have saved up.

Onto more box loading.

-Ashley

Comments

35 Responses to “My budding seamstress…..well, kind of. ;)”
    Jessie says:

Oh how sweet! I love how proud she is of herself! Good job mama!

She’s so adorable! I love the creativity!! :-)

Oh that’s adorable!

I’ve been doing some sewing with my daughter, I look forward to seeing your upcoming posts on sewing projects for children (we have a few that we’ve worked on, so it will be nice to get some new ideas).

Wishing you a wonderful weekend!
    xoxo

Madiha says:

Elli is so sweet!

Sheena says:

I love it!! Her and my oldest would get along so well. Good luck with the packing.

Love it! It’s fantastic when they take creativity into their own hands.

I remember doing something similar when I was a kid. I think you’re just born with creativity coursing through your veins!

I love your daughter’s creativity. A reminder that beauty is in the eye of the beholder…. I see this as prophetic for the prom dress she designs out of duct tape one day. Blessings on your move!

Laura says:

Beautiful! Maybe it’s time someone gets her own blog? ;) Reminds me of the time my son made super hero capes for his plastic bowling pins by taping kleenex together!! Now that he’s six he is the one who wants to sew like mom. :) I can’t WAIT to see the kids sewing projects as my son is eagerly awaiting the next one.

Madeleine says:

That’s lovely Ashley, she’ll be just as creative as her Mom one day:) Good luck packing!

Joy Corcoran says:

thanks for taking time from the move to make this charming blog post. It really made me smile BIG. Children are only with us for a little while then they grow up. It’s nice to get reminders of their creative hearts and wisdom — a gum wrapper can be diamond, indeed.

That is so awesome…I love seeing children’s creativity at work and the pride they take in following in their parent’s passions. I also just started some simple sewing with my 4 almost 5 year old and it was amazing to see how quickly she took to and how much she wanted to show people her work…SO MUCH FUN!!!

Rachel says:

Oh that is so cute. I love her imagination.

Jenny says:

How adorable! Did she get her hair cut recently? If not, I guess I haven’t noticed. It looks so cute!

Helena says:

aww she is so adorable!

Oh my that sweet Elli ! That is the cutest thing ever!. I look forward to that with my little girl! Thank u for sharing that made my night.

Andrea says:

This is perfect timing! I was just organizing my craft space and moved my washi tape to a new spot, and I have yet to use it! I love all 5 I bought, I just honestly have no idea what to do with it!

Amy Anderson says:

Thanks so much for sharing the new site!! Your little one is so cute – I love her creation . . . I would totally wear a Target bag dress. I love that place! xo

Okay now that is just too darn stinking adorable! Elli did a great job! Very creative, just like her mom! hope the move goes smoothly!

Elise says:

What a creative girl you got! My little one (almost 3) always wants to use my sewing machine and make stuff, too.

SarahMrs.ke says:

We’re on our last day of spring break, and my six year old daughter and I went shopping at a local thrift shop while waiting for her brother’s preschool to get out. We bought a couple of large women’s skirts to refashion for her. Including one smocked(?) shirred(?) dress that I know you did a tutorial about… I’d love to see kids’ sewing projects in the future – thank you!

Ellie says:

What a sweetheart! I love her dress! She has a creative mind like her mom! I’ve been sewing with my 4 yr. old GD. She sits on my lap and works the presser foot lever and helps guide the fabric or she’s under the table pressing the peddle while I say “go” and “stop”! Hey they’re showing an interest and we need future sewers cause most of what is purchased was made to be sold, not worn!
    Glad your spirits still sound “up”, isn’t moving a horrible job?

cucicucicoo says:

that’s so adorable! i love it, too, when my daughter “sews” like her mamma! hope the rest of moving goes nice and smoothly! :) lisa

Adorable!! What a sweetheart. My daughter is only 4 so she will take her little scissors and just cut at my scraps and it gives me so much glee!! And I do love personalized items for gifts – I just found a cutting board on ETSY for my parents’ anniversary. They loved.

Oh the things our little ones will come up with… I had an extra 12 month bodice piece in my scrap pile. My 6 yr old asked if she could have it and then disappeared with it. Next thing I know, she comes back into my craft room wearing panties and has the bodice piece strapped around her chest with a stretchy headband. She says, “Look mommy, I made a bra!” Yes, you did… ha ha ha.
    ~Jamie

Amanda says:

Is it the age? My daughter is 6 and last week she cut up a plastic bag and taped it into a “nightgown” for her baby doll. Adorable.

Catherine says:

Beautiful dress Elli :)

Sami Veloso says:

A future fashion designer in the making!

Kristina Noall says:

I almost said, “What? You like washi tape? Show us what to do with it!” But I changed my mind, bc whatever you make will surely be adorable, and then I’ll be forced to go out and buy washi tape. :) And your daughter’s “dress” was so cute, I had to show my husband the pics!
    Happy packing :)

Kate says:

Amanda Soule from soulemama.com and her husband gave their daughter a sewing/creating workspace for the little girl’s 7th (6th?) birthday. She has a nicer machine than I do! I love blogs that encourage children to try things themselves. Love! My son is dying for a chance at my machine, but I’m always hogging it. Today, I think I’ll scoot over. Thanks for the inspiration!

Barbara says:

so cute! my youngest actually made herself a dress for her 6th birthday. She took a piece of knit fabric, taped it into a tube, and taped some bias tape straps to the top. She actually wore it for her family party and was so proud. Good thing the only guests were her 2 sets of grandparents-about half way through the night we had to do some emergency repairs:o)

Jenn says:

I love your daughter’s blatant disregard for the warnings on the plastic bag that tell you never to use it as a toy or put it over your head! She’s done both quite stylishly, I’d say!

Melinda says:

Hi there, just wanted to say how much I LOVE your website. So many helpful tutorials and inspiring to me. Your writing always encourages me to try new ideas, and usally they turn out … uh… something like yours. HA! I have1 boy and 2 girls and having fun. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your post of your daughter’s dress. I’m always surprised and excited to see what you make and, the tools/ materials you use to make them! So when I saw this post about your daughter, she is EXACTLY like you!!!! I can’t wait for her super creative ideas when she grows up, hopefully you’ll teach her to share with the rest of us. LOL. You are awsome, and what a beautiful gift you have given your girls – creativitiy without boundries. Can’t wait to see your genious in the making :-)

August says:

“That’s her daughter alright.”

Amy says:

Creativa, igual que su mamy

Amanda says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE your couch!!! We are in need of a new one…would you be willing to share (you could have already and I missed it) where you got it/brand name?

And you’re just funny. I think if I would have stayed in CO (moved to SD to be close to family once the kiddo got here) we could be friends!