Embellished Diapers (UPDATE…..APRIL FOOL’S!!)

I was cleaning up a few things in my craft/sewing room over the weekend and realized just how full my box of fabric scraps had become.  I decided I needed to come up with some sort of project to use up some of those fabric pieces…….pronto.

And I know not all of you have little ones in diapers but maybe you could use this idea to give as a baby gift.  Or save for some of your own future babies.  Or grandbabies.

But how fun is this……….Embellished Diapers!!

IMG_0819

And really, I have so many scraps that it was either throw them away or use them on something.  So, it’s okay that they’ll be thrown away with each diaper change.  It really doesn’t take much time to attach the fabric……and it’s kinda therapeutic!

You could get really creative and make any sort of design or shape to add right on there.  But I always like a good ruffle on those bums.

diapers

Such a fun way to brighten up those diapers when Chloe just wants to run around in a diaper. :)

IMG_0888

Would you like to see how I put mine together?

Oh wait, my images weren’t uploading correctly……hold on.

Oh gee………for some reason, I have lost all of my tutorial photos, to show the step by step.

Grrrrrrr……..

Oh well, it’s pretty self explanatory, right?!?!?!

Here’s one more look…

april fools diapers

HA HA!!!  Happy April Fool’s Day!!!!!

I just couldn’t resist.

Come on, you already knew this was coming, right???  I do something a little wacko every year.  And I just can’t help myself!!!

Here’s a little blast from the past:

april fools

Chocolate Veggies, Toilet Decor, and Fabric Easter Pots

When I was sewing these little diapers, Elli came into my sewing room and asked what I was doing.  I told her I was sewing something.  She peered over my shoulder and suddenly gasped.  With eyes wide open, she asked, “What are you doing mommy?  You have to throw diapers away!  And that’s a waste of fabric!!!!”

Does that about sum up what some of you were thinking when you first read my post for today??  Ha Ha.

I just laughed and had to explain to her what April’s Fool Day was.  And as I finished sewing on those awful diaper ruffles, she told me a few knock-knock jokes, as her contribution to April Fool’s Day.  haha!

Anyway, hope your day is silly and fun.  And that your husband/wife/friend/boss understands that there is such thing as a non-funny April Fool’s joke.

Like the text I got this morning:

image

(the blacked out text is non-related…)

He didn’t text back right away……so I panicked.  And then called him.  He didn’t answer (he was on a phone call at work) and I panicked even more.  He called me back about 2 minutes later and laughed…..while I cried.  Once he realized that I really and truly was worried, he felt terrible.  Good.  SO. NOT. FUNNY.  I told him that he can add that to the list of “Things To Never Do To My Wife…..Or We Will Have Marital Issues”.  Another big one on that list is to scare me.  No jumping out of closets or peering into windows at night to scare me.  ((shiver))

Anyway, keep it fun.  Like sewing fabric to diapers.  haha! :)

Enjoy your day!

-Ashley

P.S. And if you have no idea what April Fool’s Day is and you think I’m completely crazy…….go here.  It’ll help explain today’s post!

Comments

79 Responses to “Embellished Diapers (UPDATE…..APRIL FOOL’S!!)”
    Megan W. says:

I actually came here like I go to google to see what the joke of the day is. I love non-harm April Fool’s jokes, and yours are always the most colorful! I LOVE Elli’s response! haha! So cute!

I look forward to your April Fool’s posts :) They always make me laugh!

Mea says:

Okay…..I was thinking she has got WWWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY too much time on her hands!!!!! Ha ha
    Great Joke…..

HokieKate says:

Since I use cloth diapers, I was first thinking of embellished cloth diapers. Then, when I saw you using disposable diapers, I worried that the thread would cause wicking through the diaper and wetness on the outside.

Michelle M. says:

That is great! At first I was thinking that you have to be crazy. I completely forgot it is April 1st :) Good one!

Lindsey says:

I was laying in bed last night actually wondering what you were going to post about today… because I remembered your toilet post from last year. :)

I know……ewwww, the toilet was gross, huh? :)

Katie says:

haha so was i , i actually visited your blog, just to see what it was this year! i had a good laugh :)

• 6.2.1
        ChrisandNicole says:

Very funny! :) Especially considering the number of diapers I changed today! :P I love your April Fools jokes :) You inspired me to try one this year :P Your chocolate veggie one was the 1st one I ever saw-I totally fell for it :) Then I read the toilet one because it was in with the related posts. I knew it was a joke but I still cannot look at it without cracking up!!!! I was so disgusted at the thought of small children using it & that fabric getting all nasty! It looked to hilarious :) I love what you said to go along with this one about losing all your tutorial stuff..made me laugh :) Thank you for taking the to put a smile on our face & brighten our days :)

Julie says:

Your April’s Fool Day posts are the best! You got me with the toilet and the chocolate covered veggies. So this year, I was anxiously awaiting your post. So funny.

Amanda says:

I was also laying in bed last night wondering what your April fools joke would be!? This one was pretty cute. Although not a good as decorating your toilet seat! That was the first one I saw of yours and I really questioned your sanity till I got to the end! :)

Shayla says:

Loved it! You’re so funny. :)

katie says:

Ha, love it! Your jokes are always fabulous!

Lynette says:

When I saw the title for this post, I knew it was your april fool’s joke, and I couldn’t wait to see it! What a funny one, and love your daughter’s reaction to it too. Oh, I’m so sorry your husband pulled that joke on you. Such a scary one! I am the type that worries everyday when my husband is 5 minutes late from work, so that kind of joke would have really got me. Great post this year!

Valerie Nelson says:

Bahahaha… you got me there! ;)

Danielle says:

You got me! I thought you had to be crazy and have waaayyy too much time. Good one!

Melissa says:

Two years in a row!! I first thought “Now that’s crazy! WHY would anyone want to do that on disposable diapers?” Then I scrolled down and saw it was a joke. You did good girl! I never suspected a thing – well, maybe I suspected you had lost your mind – haha. But I never suspected it was an April Fool’s Day joke…

Zoe says:

OMG – You totally got me – I was actually pondering if there would ever be a time that this would be worth taking the time to do? You are so clever – I love this is the sort of April Fool’s joke. Also loved Old Navy’s today (check their facebook page) I seriously thought it was a hair-brained new product. Man, twice in a row. I’m totally gullible!

Rachel says:

Haha I get on here now to check out what new thing you’ve come up with for April Fool’s :) And seriously, I would be in a straight-up PANIC if my husband texted me that and then didn’t answer! Ha, it was a pretty good trick, but sooo scary!

Keri says:

I love your April Fool’s Jokes every year. They didn’t get me this year but it did make me laugh. Can you imagine actually putting fabric scraps on diapers! Just wait, Huggies is going to see your joke and make the back of their diapers decorative now. Kind of like those jean diapers. :)

Michelle says:

Every year when I see these posts, I think you have LOST your mind– for once this year I caught on a little quicker ;) Soooo funny. I think it would be hilarious to make these as a gift just to see what they would say!!

Jenny says:

You are the best! I woke up this morning and wondered what you would be up to today! Good one :) Oh and the husband thing- so not OK! I have been jumped out at in a eerily quiet hotel room by my husband once when we were first married…lets just say he never wants to hear me scream like that again!

Tammy says:

I thought you were serious! Nice! I once sent an April Fool’s joke email to friends saying that I was pregnant. It back fired because everyone thought it was real and I got all these congratulations emails! They didn’t scroll down to read the whole email! No more April Fool’s jokes for me!

Alice S. says:

Oh good grief– I thought you had lost it… or you didn’t have enough to do! Good one.

Samara says:

Hahaha, I totally believed it! I was thinking to sew some diapers and give them to my cousin who´s having a baby next month. I live in Mexico, and fool´s day is celebrated on december, so I thought your post was real! Good one! have a fun day!

Jenn says:

OH. MY. GOSH…. You totally got me!!! For one thing, I am horrible at remembering things like April Fool’s Day… and since your Feedburner service is still delivering your posts to my inbox, I saw that you had a new one and decided to pop over.

I seriously thought you had gone off the deep end. But then I thought, “But wait…there’s got to be something seriously clever going on here… like, perhaps the little designs have velcro backings that allow you to attach them to different diapers… or, maybe they just LOOK sewn on but are really safety-pinned so that they can be taken off and put on a new one later… I suppose it COULD be cute for summer if your little babe is running around in just a diaper….

BWAHAHAHAHAAA!!!! I bow down before your brilliance, you trickster, you!!! Hope you have a great day!

Cecily J says:

You get me every year. Every year I think…”What?!” Hahah!! Good one!

Dielle says:

Haha, I was thinking that is a woman who seriously needs another project, because who would waste their time on something so absurd. And I even wondered if the stitching made the diapers leak. LOL! You got me!

Catherine says:

And here I was waiting for the post to load and trying to figure out how this would work and not waste the cute ruffles with each diaper. Velcro? Haha. Good one!

I had to be sure to check your blog today! I normally hate April Fools Day, but I LOVE your blog on April Fools day! You always come up with the funniest things!

Stacey says:

I totally got up this morning to a yucky, cloudy, need-to-turn-on-all-the-lights-its-so-dark day today. And was grumpy. And then I remembered it was April Fools and you would have a joke up! I was so excited I jumped right on and it wasn’t up yet. I was sad. Made breakfast, unloaded the dishwasher… checked again with a mopey face and WAHLA! That really was hilarious. I never would have thought about that. Thanks so much for brightening up my day!

Sharlyn says:

I thought you totally lost it Ashely! :)

Brittani says:

You totally got me! I was like, “She must have like billions of scraps then cause I’m not gonna waste a square inch of mine!” hahah this is awesome

Anna W says:

Totally got me. I was thinking–this is the dumbest idea ever. Ha ha ha.

hahahaha. It’s so funny!

Lauren says:

Oh, I am so glad that was a joke! Because it is a truly heinous idea! lol!

Toni says:

You got me too! I totally forgot it was April first, and I’m sitting here thinking “Has she lost her mind? What the heck is the crafting world coming to? Next someone is gonna post about a car mod podged with paint chips!” (I googled it. So far I can’t find one of those!)

Candice says:

lol … you pretty much had me! I was thinking, “Wow….I wish I had as much time on my hands as this Mommy! How in the world does she do it? If I was sewing ruffles on my diapers when the kids were wee, I’d have even more clutter built up everywhere else in my life!” Good on ya for pulling an AWESOME April Fool’s joke on me (and everyone else!).

…candice from UnclutteredMoments.com

Adriane says:

Haha, My husband was talking about Google’s joke today and I remembered that I hadn’t checked what YOU had done yet! I love it :D

jane says:

Hi Ashley,
    I was waiting on your April Fool’s joke – I checked your blog a couple of times today to see what it would be this year. Great idea.

Amanda says:

So I forgot today was April 1st. And I was thinking….WHAT?! She is the type to repurpose old sweaters! Why is she wasting good fabric scraps on diapers that will be thrown away?! So yeah, you got me.

This is the first year that I knew it was a joke before I even read which blog it was from. And then I read your list and realized I’ve been following you for all 4 april fool’s posts! Wow!

oh my goodness, i feel for it like a big shmuck, just like i did last year! haha! and elli is so funny! :)

Kim says:

So far I have fallen for your April Fool’s Day jokes every time, thinking, “Okaaay, righhhht. A little over the top…,” etc.. Great joke!

Carol hayter says:

I love it! Was thinking you are a bit strange, and then… I had to go back and look at your previous efforts. Especially loved the toilet tassels. Gotta do that next year!

Amy says:

Omygoodness. You’re the first one that got me. I was going… Okeay, really?

Good job.

Emily Jones says:

Oh Ashley, you are too clever! You crack me up! I was waiting to see what you’d come up with this year and you definitely didn’t disappoint! Ha ha!

Lisa Shumway says:

I have seen your blog the past few years and you still got me. Very funny!

I was waiting for your post this year because they are so funny! But it’s late at night (okay, eventing) and I actually forgot what day it was! I was all set to suggest, very kindly, that perhaps embellishing cloth diapers might be more prudent, until I got down to the comments and realized! Ha ha ha, so you got me! :-)

Your hubby’s joke, not so funny. Hope the rest of the day was good!

Oh, and what really got me was I do use cloth diapers, so I thought it was a post about embellishing cloth diapers, and when I saw the disposables, I was so bummed! So I think that helped you get me. :-)

OH MY WORD. SO funny Ashley!!

Bonnie Ditto says:

You got me last year too! I kept thinking that that wasn’t up to your usual standard. Maybe I will learn! Nah, I will forget by next year.

Debbie C says:

Whew…you had me there. Thank God it was a joke…I was beginning to worry. ;D

C French says:

You got me again. Every year I think you’re nuts, and then I realize I am!

Sarah says:

You get me EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! You are so funny!

Kristy says:

LOVE your April Fools day posts. The toilet is still my all tie favourite.

Kristiana says:

OH MY GOSH! You’ve never got me in years past, and I saw this post at the END of the day, after looking at tons of other jokes and telling my husband that you really need to get a good joke in at the beginning of the day to work. Then I saw the post and was believing it!! You totally got me. …………………….. Can I say, I think this could be cute. Hear me out. When I saw the picture on FB I thought….weird, I don’t like sewing THAT much, but then I thought. OH, maybe she attached them to velcro, so you could put them on and off of diapers for those “diaper days” … idk…I think it could be fun to attach a little elephant or owl or ruffles on their diapers… or do that instead of a bloomer? Am I crazy? Just a thought. SERIOUSLY!

Becky says:

I came here specifically hoping to get a laugh. You didn’t disappoint!
    And my husband did something similar to me. I was crying and shaking so bad; he felt terrible. Good times!!!

Kristina Noall says:

Oh man. I would KILL my husband if he did that! And I’m so with you on the no-scaring-me rule.

Sandra Nelsen says:

So hilarious! When Huggies or Pampers become “ruffled” you can truly say you started the trend.

Ellie says:

You had me! I was thinking, I’ll take those scraps, you must REALLY have a lot! But then I saw those threads hanging from the ruffles knowing you would never do such a messy job!! Ya made me laugh out loud! (And NO peeking in my windows day OR night!)

SuzK says:

I didn’t fall for the veggies last year, but I did wonder if you’d lost your mind…got me this year! too funny.

I saw this on FB yesterday and you totally got me! I didn’t have time to check out the actual post at the time so I was pretty much just thinking you were crazy. And then I was doing the dishes a couple of hours later and it hit me! “She always does and April Fools post! Thank heavens! That must be what that was!” Phew! ;0) Oh, and, my husband’s name is also Steve and my name is Ashley, and we have some married friends who are also Ashley and Steve. It’s almost like our names were super popular or something, eh? :0) And I agree, what he did to you was NOT funny. Boys and their “jokes”!

You’re hilarious! (Those diapers do look pretty cute though…)

Leanne says:

I saved this in my reader to read when I had time because I was convinced it was cloth diapers! It never occurred to me that it was an April Fools joke – even after your amazing joke last year! ;-)

Dina says:

So cute, LOL!! Awesome joke…but I can just see it now….. some company will actually do this and people will buy them!!

Katy says:

I thought this was really funny. It made wonder if there are people out there that would actually do this. I’m sure someone some some is decorating their disposable diapers. The most “decorating” I’ve ever done is writing my sons name on his diapers for day care.

Mònica says:

You got me!!! Here in Spain Fool’s day is not in April and you totally catch me.

You are so funny!

66. 65.1
    Jill says:

My favorite line was: “It’s kinda therapeutic.”

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] the Embellished Diapers from yesterday was an April Fool’s Joke!!!!!  I don’t really decorate my garbage.  [...]

2. […] year, I made some Embellished Diapers for Chloe.  Oh gee.  I may or may not have made it sound like it was no big deal that you just […]