Sunday evening seems to be snack time in this house.  We’re all home, dinner is done, games/toys are all sprawled out……..and it’s time to pull out recipes, ingredients, and every dish we can add to the kitchen sink (because I can assure you the dinner dishes haven’t been washed yet).  And something that we make A LOT on Sunday evenings, is chewy caramel popcorn.  It’s really quick and very simple…..and the kids love to use the air popper.  If you live nearby, we sometimes try to pawn it off on neighbors, so watch out!  The recipe makes a ton, so it’s better all around if we don’t try and eat it all ourselves. ;)

I posted the original recipe for this over 3 years ago (wow, that long ago?!!), and mentioned that it came from a college roommate of mine (yes Katie, we still LOVE it!).  This isn’t your regular ol’ boring crunchy corn.  This is chewy and delicious and crazy addictive.  And will remain chewy the next day.

For all you crunchy caramel corn fans….SEE?!!  You better look elsewhere. ;)

Also, we really love adding things to this recipe.  One of our very favorites, is chopped up Almond Joy.  I know….sugar attack.  But the nuts in there give it some protein, right?! ;)  But you can add almost anything.

Find Chewy Caramel Popcorn recipe HERE.

While we were eating our caramel corn last night, Connor and Elli were chomping away at the table and Chloe was in her highchair, eating mini marshmallows.  She can chew regular popcorn just fine but caramel corn is a little more tricky.  So she needs a few more teeth before joining us.  (She’s no dummy.  She would have known that she was getting ripped off if we tried to give her boring ol’ crackers or something.)

Here’s a peek into our night, simply because this 20-month-old of ours makes us laugh.  ALL of us.  (P.S. Just to clarify, Chloe’s nickname is Coco.  Just in case you were wondering who this Coco kid was! ;) )

Ha!  That little Chloe cracks me up.  She has all sorts of sass!  You want to know my favorite part of the whole video?  1:05-1:15…….I could laugh at that all day!!

After laughing about it last night, it reminded me that Elli used to do the same thing when she was little.  She wouldn’t say “one”, she’d just skip right to “two”.  I think they both figure, “why say it again?  You’ve already said it??“  Ha.

Anyway, dig through those cupboards, gather your ingredients…….

………and enjoy your Caramel Popcorn.   We always do!

-Ashley

Comments

49 Responses to “Recipe Re-visited: Chewy Caramel Popcorn (and a video peek into our Sunday evening)”
    Shandra says:

She’s SO adorable! You can understand her really well! I remember that I was about 9 months pregnant myself when you had her, so it amazes me that you can understand her SO much better than my little guy. That’s awesome that she’ll say her numbers!

You know, it just kicked in recently. Our first took her pokey little time speaking. And haha, now she won’t zip those little lips! :) But what a funny age these little 1 year olds are in, huh? I can’t seem to slow it all down enough to enjoy it like I want to. But, I take a lot of pictures to make up for it! :)

-Ashley

British American says:

What an adorable little girl Chloe is! My little guy (also my 3rd child) turns 20 months tomorrow and he is nowhere close to talking this much either. So so cute to see your kids’ personalities shine.

Jamie says:

Your kids are the cutest :)

caitlin says:

you kids are adorable, honestly i have no idea how many times i have commented this!

Shifrah says:

ooooooh, we’ll have to try this. my sister and mom are arriving tomorrow to be here when my third is born and whenever my husband and sister are together they eat LOADS of popcorn, including caramel popcorn. i can usually take it or leave it, but we’ll have to try this recipe — i think i’ll take it!!! thank you!

Ooooh, congrats on your third! Hope he/she comes quickly and fiasco-free! :) Which reminds me, I used to eat tons of this caramel corn when I was pregnant with my third. Probably once a week. Hum, funny that I just remembered that.

All my best to your little lovey coming into the world! :)

birdy boots says:

Yummy! Your kids are adorable — and growing so fast!

maryanne says:

Ashley…your family is just precious! Thanks for sharing what are surely the best years of your life. GOD bless your holidays sincerely…..

Haha Olivia does that too (she’ll be 2 this Friday.) She also did something similar with prayer, until recently when we tried to get her to say “Lord bless this food and drink for Jesus sake Amen”, when my hubby would say “Jesus sake” for her to copy she’d say “Amen”, over and over, and sometimes with a tone of voice like “What’s wrong with you, we’ve been over this!”

Ha……that’s hilarious! It really must be a developmental thing…..they just fill in what comes next. When we say a prayer together or when we’re at church and the prayer is going on way too long for her liking, Chloe will say “amen!” over and over and over again, in hopes that she can cut that prayer short. It’s pretty funny! She and Olivia are definitely sassy little nuggets! :)

Gabi Barrick says:

Haha – so funny! She’s so cute and knows EXACTLY what she’s doing!

You have to save my favorite recent video of our little comedian:

Baby giggles are the best! :)

MARA says:

Love your family!

Katy says:

Looks like a lot of fun! My little guy (just turned 2) does the same thing! We try to get him to say one, and he says two everytime! Toddlers love an audience :)

Aly says:

Haha, good to see this is normal with most toddlers. My little guy just turned 2 also and only now does he occasionally say 1. For the longest time he would do the exact same as Chloe and he still usually likes to say “2, 3, 2, GO!!!” All your kids are super cute by the way.

Lynette says:

twooooooo! Oh just darling. And that popcorn looks yummy. I will definitely have to try it sometime soon.

Jill says:

Where’s you get that cute flag table cloth underneath the popcorn bowl in all your pictures? Or is it a table runner, placemat, something else? Thanks!

Katie says:

I have been DYING for some of this popcorn. But every time I make it, I literally sit and eat half the bowl one night (with a little help from Bryson) and half the bowl the next (with a little help from Bryson). Not good! :) hahaha. Maybe I’ll just come visit and eat some of yours. :)

Aunt Jeri says:

Ooooh, it was good to see all of you. Well, hear you. We miss you!

Bonnie Ditto says:

Made my day! Such precious children. Beautiful family. Love talking to kids.

Stina says:

lol…what a cutie! My oldest did the same thing. I’d say ‘one’ and she would shout ‘TWO’ every single time. So silly. :) Recipe looks yummy!

Jodi says:

Love this!! Chloe is adorable. I miss the days when my kids were this little.

Sewil says:

You have a wonderful children. Very nice to look at a close-knit family. Thank you for your work. I read all your posts.

Rachel says:

Oh my goodness, SO cuteǃ Thanks for bringing a smile to my face todayǃ

Rebecca says:

WHAT A SCREAM! I watched it twice and then watched your fav. part like 3 times in a row. She is SO cute! And I love how she throws her hands up cheering for herself when she makes it to 10. Darling! Loved the glimpse into your sweet little family.

Ellie says:

Cute video. I love that your son eats his caramel corn with a fork. I’m trying to figure out how much popcorn “2 big bowls” means. If my air popper does 1/2 cup at a time is 2 batches enough or does it take more than that?

Also, I just found your blog about 6 weeks ago and I love it! I love that you really know how to sew and that your “sewing” projects aren’t done with a glue gun. I know that’s totally unrelated to this post, but I just thought I’d mention it.

ira lee says:

oh my lawd!!! that kid is too cute!!!! little baby voices are the sweetest thing!!!

Kari G says:

You should consider posting the video on AFV.

Sera says:

Your little one is so adorable! She reminds me so much of my own girl (23 month) – my daughter counts like “one three three five six nine thirteen”.
    So cute! And: Your little one and my daughter could be sisters from their looks (shape of face, teeth, hair color…) – what makes me smile a lot, when I visit you blog.

My mom used to make a caramel corn in a big brown bag. I can distinctly remember her shaking that thing all over!

Christine says:

This looks delish! One unrelated question…My glue gun makes strings of glue everywhere when I’m trying to glue. It is the same one from my tool box my Dad gave me when going off to college. Do all glue guns do this, or should I be looking at a new one and, if so, what kind? Thanks!

Jess says:

Chloe is absolutely adorable!

Kellie says:

That was super cute! My kiddos (4, 6, and 8) sat and watched it with me, laughing at her “twoooo.”

Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo
    News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Appreciate it

Sarah says:

Thanks so much for posting this! It’s so funny, I was just telling my husband I planned to make caramel corn for this movie night my kids have to go to, but, didn’t like my recipe bc it had to be baked in the oven then spread out all over my counters on foil to cool…lol hopped onto my blog roll and this was your latest post! I’m going to make this this afternoon! One question, what size can (aren’t there two sizes?) of sweetened condensed milk do you use?
    Anyhow, thanks again for sharing…I love love love your blog and all of the fabulous things you share with us!
    Sarah

Robin says:

This isn’t Ashley but I used the 14 oz size can of sweetened condensed milk. When I think about it, I don’t think I have seen it in any other size. I have seen evaporated milk in two sizes.

• 31.1.1
        Sarah says:

Robin, thank you so much for replying! I was at work and sending my hubby to the grocery store over lunch for me and couldn’t, for the life of me remember if there were one or two sizes…lol had to make sure!
        Ashley! Oh.my.goodness. Best caramel corn of my life!

sunnie says:

You were so right on about the popcorn. It was sooooooo good that my husband said to never make it again because he couldn’t stop eating it!:)

Kay says:

How could you do this to me?!? Make one of my favorite treats in the whole world — caramel–so easy to make! Loved your recipe. Even though first time I made it I didn’t read the directions completely and combined everything except the vanilla, it still turned out fabulous. Thank you. I just stored leftover half and made more popcorn the next day, heated up the caramel, and it was just as good as the first batch.

Alicia says:

Loved your recipe! I ran across a recipe for homemade sweetened condensed milk, which I use when I am out of the canned. It works great with this recipe, and for most baking. (I’ve heard it doesn’t work as well in other candy recipes.) 1 recipe is the equivalent of 1 can sweetened condensed milk.
    1/3 c boiling water
    4T butter
    3/4 c sugar
    1/2 t vanilla
    1 c powdered milk
    Combine boiling water and butter in blender and blend until butter is melted. Add sugar and vanilla and blend again. Add powdered milk and blend until thick. Use immediately, store in refrigerator 1 week, or freeze.
    You can half the recipe and freeze the second half of condensed milk.

Arya says:

I’m afraid if I eat the caramel popcorn, it will stick to my teeth and make my teeth damage, but the picture is so tempted and make me want to make popcorn and eat it.

Debby says:

Loved the recipe for caramel corn with the puffs. It was great, and easy. My family loved it too.
    Thanks for the easy recipe.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] know, I’m a sucker for sweets!  I love them.  Especially chewy things.  And you know that Chewy Caramel Popcorn recipe that I’ve shared here??  Well, whenever there’s leftover caramel in the pan, I [...]