a little bit of random…

First of all, my heart aches for those feeling the damage of Hurricane Sandy.  Wow, I can’t even believe the damage she caused (and may continue to cause) and how many are without power.  I know there’s a lot of worry going on over on the east side of our country.  So, to my friends (those who I actually know and those I’ve met online)…..be safe.  And my prayers are with you and your families.

. . . . .

First of all, I had no idea that having little ones in school would make holiday time extra busy.  Are you feeling it too?  The parties, the assemblies, the field trips, the extra projects, etc,  Are those of you with multiple kids in all different schools laughing at me yet?  Ha.  I know, I better get used to it. :)

Elli had “crazy hair day” at school today so we had to get up a little earlier because she wanted “slinky” hair today.  Oh, what’s slinky hair?  It’s what Elli calls these little bobbles of half-way pulled through hair.  And she wanted them all over her head.  So I hurried and granted her little “slinky hair” wish this morning and put about 15 of them in her hair.  And then sent her out the door.

Oh, you noticed the clutter in the background above?  What is all of that, you ask?

Yeah, that’s normal these days.  And is one of the cleanest areas of our home today.  You should see the kitchen. And oh gosh, the laundry pile.  Eeek!

But, a little clutter doesn’t stop me from getting started on a project that I have been wanting to do for about a year now.

I found an old chair at a thrift store last fall, that was actually new with tags (just REALLY OLD tags) and I’ve been wanting to recover it.  I finally bought some fabric and am ready to give her a makeover.  Hooray.  This chair will spend some time in Chloe’s nursery and then will eventually make its way into whatever room that wants it.  That’s why I chose the plain colored fabric.  But it sure beats that velvet drab blue fabric.  And just wait until you see the pillows that will hang out on this chair. ;)

Wish me luck!  Cleaning AND re-upholstering that old chair.  Don’t worry, I’ll show you the process soon. :)

For those of you sewing your little hearts out today, in time for Halloween tomorrow, don’t forget to upload a quick picture (or more) to my flickr group by the end of today.  Because I want to add your homemade (by you or even someone else) costumes to my little Virtual Costume Parade tomorrow……just like the parade of 2011, the parade of 2010, and the parade of 2009.  I’ll select a large amount of you and plaster you all over my blog tomorrow.  It’s one of my very favorite posts that I do all year long……so hurry it up already!! :)   (And I’m sorry, I probably won’t be able to include everyone…..because there’s entirely too much goodness out there.  But post it to the flickr group anyway, so that everyone can at least look over there to find you!)

pictures above are from last year’s parade

See you soon.

-Ashley

Filed under Family, Featured

Comments

18 Responses to “a little bit of random…”
    cucicucicoo says:

that picture with everything marked out is hilarious! because you know, sometimes we readers wonder about how you manage to keep your home, or at least what you post here, so clean! i’m already feeling better about my insanely untidy home! lol! :) lisa

Stephanie says:

YES, definitely show the chair re-upholster project! I have a chair just like that to redo. Bought the fabric six months ago, but haven’t done it yet out of fear! :)

Julie says:

You forgot to point out the little brother behind her! Embrace the clutter, that’s my motto! :)

Yes! Please show the process of reupholstering that chair! I have one that looks exactly like that (brown) for my baby-to-be’s room with the intention of recovering it but it moved to the bottom of my list and there’s no way I’m doing it before she comes. It mostly didn’t get done because I didn’t know how!!

Cara says:

I used that fabric to recover my couch! It turned out beautifully. Although, I will say that the white picks up everything…even gets a blue tinge from jeans. My cushion covers are removable, and I wash them every couple of months. They always turn out looking as good as new!

Kate says:

I call that style ‘casual chaos’ and it dissevers a place in design magazines too.

ashley says:

o that picture is awesome!!
    good luck! but im sure it will turn out FAB!

XO
    ash

Amanda says:

Ha, I have that same fabric in my garage waiting to cover a chair. Since it’s been there for months, I’m just going to pay someone to do it for me.

nelda says:

cute pictures! and good luck!
    I will be following your re-upholstery process since I would like to do my chair too. Thanks

Megan W. says:

I absolutely love that picture, mess and all. All of my pictures tend to have mess because where there are kids there is mess.

Cammie says:

I bought that same fabric yesterday! and built and upholstered a headboard with it yesterday too…it was a crazy day. I can’t wait to see that chair.

Camille says:

Hooray! The long awaited upholstery project begins! Enjoy and good luck!

oh, I have a bit of an obsession with old chairs. I have an old rocking chair in the garage that I found on the street about a year ago…it still needs fixing up! We have a lovely arm chair in my sons room (an ebay find) and my hubby wheeled home a chair on a skateboard that he knew I’d love.

Rachel says:

My prayers are with everyone in Sandy’s path too. We got very lucky and did not even lose power, but our town got hit pretty hard for being so far north of it (we are in NH). We need to stop having storms on Halloween!! I want to enjoy the holiday for once!!

Cheers!
    Rachel

venesa says:

YEs! I understand sewing my heart out. hopefully they will like the costumes I have been slaving over.

Lynn Kellan says:

Oh, my gosh! I used the same fabric to make valances for my kitchen windows! :)

17. 16.1
    Cara says:

Can’t wait to see the re-upholstery project! I have two chairs that desperately need reupholstered, but I have been a little bit scared to tackle them!