Our little 18-month-old “Granny”…

Our little Chloe has been a bit sick for the past few days.  She has kept her momma (and daddy) nice and worried……and a little busy.  Even though she fought it by screaming/twisting/kicking/squirming at first, she now lets us put the oxygen tube in her nose.  With only a slight grunt in protest now.  And we all giggle because she looks like our little ol’ granny, pulling her O2 tank behind her.  Teasing her keeps the mood light and she has become possessive over her cords and oxygen tank.  Sweet little punkin’ head!!

Oh, what happened??!  Well, Chloe got a cold last week.  Which quickly turned ugly a day later.  She was having the hardest time breathing and her sweet little chest was retracting so hard, just to get a breath.  So, off to the ER she went, with daddy.  Once there, she received lots of meds, and quickly lost her tummy in all the commotion……all over her daddy (I told him, “…welcome to my life!”).  The Dr told Steve that they wanted to send her to a bigger hospital, with a children’s wing.  So after a parent swap (so puke-soaked daddy could go home) and a crazy transport in an ambulance, little Chloe and I settled in for the night, at 2 am.  Oh wait, no settling happened.  Because that was the start of that wretched oxygen tube up her nose.  It was a battle.  But she finally gave up in exhaustion and let that tube force the needed oxygen inside of her little toddler lungs.  And allowed the nurses to mess with her and adjust her cords and monitors ALL…..NIGHT…..LONG. Whew.

She woke up a little better.  And finally able to breathe on her own while awake now.  Still borderline low, but finally in the safe zone.  So we just hung out.  When nap time came around again, her oxygen dipped too low again……bummer.  But the Dr said we could take her home with oxygen for sleeping.

Home is much happier.  Because she can sleep in her bed…….without housekeeping, room service, volunteers, or nurses coming in all through the day and night.  (However, those interruptions are totally necessary and I champion their hard work at the hospital.  It’s just nice to be home.)

Chloe now knows the routine when napping or sleeping at night.  That tall cylinder in her room is her friend…..nothing to be scared of.  (However, it sits right outside her door, not right next to her bed.

And maybe some people use fancy tape to hold the cannula (oxygen tube) in place.  We use torn princess bandaids. :)

But the real hero…….is the Pulse Oximiter.  It measures the amount of oxygen in her blood, from her big toe.  She used to HAAATE that thing on her toe.  Now, they’re friends.  I especially love it because it tells us when her cannula has come out or if the oxygen isn’t working hard enough for her.

And last night, her oxygen levels dropped lower than ever.  So we adjusted placement, replaced cords, reset machines, tried different spots, tightened, loosened, gave her some of her inhaler……nothing helped.  So we noticed she was having a harder time breathing again, and it probably wasn’t a machine error.  So we called the on-call nurse (love them!) and he contacted the on-call pediatrician (love them too!) for us.  Back to the hospital we went.

Needless to say, we’re glad Chloe finally allows that beeping monitor to hug on her big toe.  That little guy sure helps us out! :)

We are back home with safe sleeping oxygen levels again.  And they have been in perfect range since then.  Whew.  My mind has gone to unsafe places over the past few days.  You know, the worst-case-scenario types of places.  And sometimes I meddle in a why-in-the-world-is-she-still-struggling-to-breathe-even-though-medicated-and-on-oxygen place.  But all I can say, is that I’m grateful that we live now……and not 100 years or so ago.  Because this little lady would really be having a hard time without oxygen and x-rays and monitors of all kinds.  So today………..we feel grateful.

So, what’s up with little Chloe?  It’s probably Reactive Airway Disease. Which is very similar to asthma but can improve with age.  And even if it’s asthma, she’ll be just fine.

Chloe gets tired of feeling crummy.  So she has been running around and playing just like normal, during the day.  And then once this little infection passes, the oxygen tanks will be sent away as well.  And then we’ll be better prepared when this happens again in the future.

Anyway, that’s where I’ve been hiding out.  At the hospital.  And trying to figure out PulseOx machines and oxygen tubes.  Those of you who use these things full time, every day……..I reverence you.  The beeping and adjustments and false alarms are enough to drive a person crazy. But what a blessing to help sustain life though, right?

We’ve been watched over from above, and loved on, and helped out a lot the past few days.  (Thank you, dear friends!)  Chloe’s on the mend…….and things will be back to normal soon.  Really soon. :)

-Ashley

Filed under Family, Featured

Comments

192 Responses to “Our little 18-month-old “Granny”…”
    palak says:

Good heavens! My daughter came down with croup a while back, and we were worried about her oxygen. I hope your little one feels better soon! We’ll be thinking about ya’ll.

Milz says:

Glad things are alright.

Mummy to M, C & S says:

So glad she’s getting better!! I remember when my 2 year old Chloe :-) had pneumonia. She needed to be on a ventilator with the big mask over her nose and mouth! It was horrible! She screamed herself to sleep everytime we did it (sorry I did it—daddy couldn’t take the screaming said it broke his heart) But she needed it twice a day, I was so grateful when she got better!

I’m so sorry to hear this! I have a 22 month old. I can’t imagine what you’ve been through in the last few days. I’m glad that she’s feeling better. I LOVE that last picture of her in the crib. Children are so resilient. It truly is amazing.

Kristin says:

amazing the technology we have now. So glad they (and you) are monitoring her well! I have terrible asthma so I feel her pain :( poor thing. I just feel no child should ever have to be sick! It should be a rule!

Anyway, sending good thoughts your way and get well wishes!

Heather says:

So happy to hear your little one is OK! Sending you all happy, healthy thoughts! xo

Joan says:

I’m glad she’s on the mend and you seem to be comfortable with the way things are progressing.

Sarah S. says:

Gosh, your story sure sounds familiar! We battled the same issues with my son, Eli. He’s 4 now and doing great. We constantly struggled with allergies and as soon as the first cough would come, the whole thing would spiral out of control and we’d find ourselves in the ER in just a few hours. We were originally diagnosed with RAD and just recently upgraded (ha ha) to cough-variant asthma. He has a little diskus of inhalation powder that he uses each day and has gotten great at using it all by himself, with supervision, of course. And we follow an allergy routine of Zyrtec and Singular that have also helped. I hope you also find a medication solution that works for your daughter and that she continues to improve. Ideally, complete healing is what we’re all after, but in the mean time, we’re so grateful for the doctors and nurses who have helped us get to where we are. Good luck on this and I hope all is well soon!

Jillia says:

Yep, my son is on the same Zyrtec/singulair cocktail, and Flovent for his RAD turned cough-variant asthma. He is 8 now and does very well.

Both my kids have CVA and were initially given the RAD diagnosis, unfortunately we were recently told that the idea that they would out grow it is a myth, they are now 10 and 12 and perfectly fine as long as they stay on their daily meds, but the chances that they will one day not have asthma are pretty slim to none even though their cases are mild. We are just happily living with the reality of being a just fine anyway asthmatic family now!

Diana says:

Can’t imagine what it must have been like for you & your family for the past week…she is a brave little one though! Get well soon Chloe! Lots of big hugs from Canada!

Isabelle D says:

Praying for your family!

adrienne w says:

Oh, poor little girl! I hope she’s feeling better soon. She is absolutely adorable, by the way!

Oh, your poor little baby. I am so glad to hear that she is doing better. My kids tend to get croup a lot when they get colds and the sound of them just gasping for air is something no mother wants to hear…….so I feel for you. I hope Chloe is 100% soon!

Deb says:

What a scary time you’ve had! I’m praying for your little granny to get better quickly.

Dana Allard says:

When our littlest was just 4 months old she had a cold that turned into bronchiolitis. She had the same issue and ended up in the hospital for four days. What a nightmare with everyone coming in and out sucking the snot out of her and giving treatments every two hours.
    Hopefully poor little Chloe feels better soon.

Kerry says:

Thank God she’s feeling better now! Sending your family lots of prayers!

Alesha Tyndall says:

So glad to hear your Chloe is doing so much better. I too have a Lil Chloe Bug and she too has been in the hospital twice for the same issue. Luckily we have been able to get her oxygen levels to a safe number, and after a couple of days she is back to normal. Hopefully your Lil Chloe outgrows this lung issue, as I’m praying my Lil Chloe does as well.

Kate Princehouse says:

I LOVED reading this today (I love your blog in general but wow- this really hits home). Prayers to you all and what a little sweetheart you have. I have three children; the oldest and youngest (boys) have some sort of unkown lung disease. Our youngest, turned 2 on Saturday, is on oxygen nearly 24/7. We see an amazing specialist next month in Denver for the first time and I absolutely cannot wait. I sympathize with the pulse-ox beeping in the middle of the night, (switching toes, changing canulas, turning the machine off and on), the oxygen tubing getting wrapped around toys and furniture, the dry nose and lips from the extra air constantly blowing, the horribly long nights at the hospital, and the amazing nurses and doctors that we are so fortunate to provide our care. Send me a private message if you ever want to talk. In the meantime, I’ll be thinking of you.
    P.S. I bet Miss Chloe is the best dressed/accessorized little pumpkin in that hospital! :)

Kerri says:

I know how you feel! My Chloe (19 mo) was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and was in the hospital over the weekend. It’s nice to see our little ones feeling better again. And I’m thankful for technology too. So glad fo childrens hospitals and their staff! Glad to hear your Chloe is feeling better too!

Judie says:

Kerri,
      I just had to stop and comment on your comment. I’m not sure how long ago your little girl was diagnosed, but I wanted to let you know to hang in there. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 3, I’ve lived with it for 27 years and I’m complication free! There is a huge community of mom of type 1′s who blog, I hope you’ve already found them, if not check out; candyheartsblog.com, wecaralot.blogspot.com, theprincessandthepump.com, just a few to get you started :) good luck Chloe will be fine! If you ever need to talk with a grown up t1 I’m happy to be available.

• 18.1.1
        Kerri says:

Thanks so much for the supportive words. It really makes me feel better about her future. She was just diagnosed last weekend so we have a long road ahead of us but feel confident now everything will be ok. Again thnks for the kinds words and the blogs. I will definitely check them out.

D.V.W. says:

So sorry to hear about what you have been through this week, but glad she is doing better and sounds like is on the mend now. I have a 26-month-old girl (who has a couple similar facial expressions to your little girl) and I can’t imagine what kind of wrestling and negotiating we’d have to do with her to get her to accept an oxygen tube and a toe sensor!

Megan W. says:

Oh no! What a nightmare! I’m glad things are settling down! At least she’s stinkin’ cute!

kate says:

so sad and scary!

Emily says:

Poor Chloe! Glad she’s doing better and that we live now instead of 50 years ago.

Kristiana says:

How scary. I know just what you mean about going to that scary place, and thinking the worst possible. Glad that that ISN’T what’s happening. She’s so stinkin’ cute, and hopefully it will be no time before that’s all you’re thinking.

I’m so glad your Chloe is doing better! I am one of those nurses who use all the equipment you mentioned every day. I agree with you that it is wonderful to live at this time to benefit by all the advances in medicine. And it is so wonderful to see how well she is doing now. Be well, Chloe! Take care, mom!

Lori says:

My son was born with a birth defect that is tied to all sorts of lung issues and he’s since been dianosed with RAD as well. We’re all too familiar with the ER. He is on inhalers (one daily, one as needed), allergy medicine, and singulair. He used to be afraid and/or annoyed by all the tests the doctors run or the ways we have to give him his meds, but he’s a pro now.

Karyn says:

A parent’s nightmare. Hope L’il Chloe continues to improve and your family can return to a more normal pace! Best wishes!

hannah says:

im very sorry, i look at your blog reqularly, and when i saw that it said 36 minutes ago, i was excited to see what you posted but unfortuanetly it wasnt the surprise i was looking for. stay strong and i hope and pray that little granny gets better soon, im glad shes getting a long fine, even at my age i wouldnt want an oxygen tank and toe sensor strapped to me !

Amber says:

Goodness you have had a week full of ups and downs! I’m so glad to hear that Chloe is doing better! Sending lots of prayers your way!

Praying for you and for your daughter! My son battles with a syndrome called Miller Dieker Syndrome, and has all of the yucky medical machines in our home. It is just not fun at all but we are blessed to have it all here to help him and us! I hope she is feeling better soon!!

Tricia says:

Poor little girl! I hope she’s all better soon!

shantel says:

so sorry! glad things are better!

Martha says:

So glad your little one is on the mend:) prayers for you and yours:)

Jodi says:

Glad to hear things are on the mend. So scary when your baby can’t breathe. The pictures are so adorable. Chloe is a cutie!

Sabrina says:

My 2nd child, Leland, has been hospitalized twice, a week at a time for the same thing. Once when he was 3 months old and once when he was 18 months old. I’m not sure if he has asthma or what but he’s been having a hard time today and just took a breathing treatment before nap. Weather changes are always hard on him. I will be praying for your sweet Chloe! Get better soon, sweet girl.

Melinda says:

Poor little baby! I too, have reactive airway disease that flares up every chest cold I get. Sending prayers for a fast recovery and that this is something that will ease with age for little Chloe.

Carolyn says:

I’m so glad Chloe’s feeling better. I can’t imagine how scared you must have been. I’ll be sending extra prayers to you and your family.

Natalie says:

Glad all is ok…wow…that is so scary!!! Pray she keeps getting better. The pictures are really cute!

Brianne says:

This makes me want to cry! How scary for all of you! I’m glad you’re getting things figured out and that she’s allowing all of the tubes and cords to be on her. I hope she’s feeling better soon!

Christina says:

I sure hope shes feeling better soon! I want to make sure that they checked her heart? If not please have them check her heart for any valve problems. This can cause low oxygen and similar problems.
    My youngest has bad asthma and has had it since birth. She is 4 now so the tubing is familiar to us too.

Sarah says:

Oh my goodness! I’m so sorry! Thank you for sharing and we are praying everything settles down quickly!

Mindy says:

How scary! She looks previous and happy in those pictures, great captures of a difficult time. Hoping for only the best :)

Andrea Hunt says:

So scary!! I have a special needs brother so i totally understand when the “worst case scenarios” run through your head. I’m glad she is doing better now! She is such a doll–even with all of the tubes and wires. Sending prayers your way!!!

Andrea

Michele N says:

Hang in there, I know it’s hard, but hopefully she will outgrow it. When my now 16yo was 2 1/2 he developed RSV pneumonia & spent 8 days in the hospital, most of it on oxygen & the first night they almost tented him. Our other son was less than 3 months old at the time & also had RSV but never developed pneumonia, but the doctor checked them both every time he came in. Luckily when the oldest was released, he needed nothing after that, but the little one ended up on a nebulizer regularly for about 6 months and then occasionally after that, but by about 3 he outgrew it completely. So there is hope that little granny will be on the full mend soon & hopefully able to get off the oxygen & stay off of it!

Dorienne says:

Poor little lamb. Makes me so sad and nervous when these things happen. Glad to know that she is feeling much better.

Heidi says:

Our son has asthma and I’ve only DREAMED of having a PulseOX at home!! I’d like to have one for every asthma attack so I know exactly when things are getting serious enough for the ER!! Just about the time I was going to give in and buy one he started growing out of the asthma and hasn’t had a hospital stay in over a year. What a blessing that they gave you oxygen to take home so you didn’t have to stay longer at the hospital!! We never got to do that!! I’ll be praying for her that she continues to have high oxygen levels and this blows over and happens FEW and FAR BETWEEN :) Good job Mommy and Daddy :)

Addie says:

You can buy a pulse oximeter at CVS or amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Finger-Pulse-Oximeter-SM-110-Carry-Wrist/dp/B003TJH3LI) for about $50. They are probably not as reliable as the ones at the hospital.

But more importantly, ask your doctor for a peak-flow meter if your kid is over the age of five. They are MORE sensitive at catching mild to moderate asthma attacks because it judges how well the patient can breathe instead of how well the patient is oxygenating (with the pulse-ox).

Also, the America Lung Association recommend for all asthmatics to have an “asthma action plan,” these plans are step wise plans for what to do at home if an asthma attack occurs and can prevent some trips to the ER if the attacks are not too severe.

Ok, this was longer than I expected, but I just had to get that information out! Have a great day!

• 45.1.1
        Heidi says:

Thanks Addie :) We definitely have an asthma attack plan, we do have a peak flow meter but the years with constant ER visits were when he was 1-4, since then he has gotten MUCH better :) Now that he’s 7 he only wheezes about once a year when he gets a bad cold. We’re so thankful that he seems to be growing out of it!!

monica says:

oh wow…..that is a lot for everyone to go through. what a sweet little face! sending positive, healing thoughts to her, her mommy, and her daddy!

Emma says:

Oh bless you guys, what a terrible experience. I’m glad she’s on the mend. Thoughts and prayers go out to you guys x x

Wow! You are such an amazing momma! Hope she’s better soon. What a brave girl!

sarah says:

Sending all my positive thoughts to your little one and you too.

Kim says:

Praying for Chloe, and thanking God for life-saving medical equipment and skilled and kind medical staff! Hope you are able to get some rest, Mama!

Karin says:

UGH! Sweet little pumpkin! Tears in my eyes, I cannot imagine what you all were going through! This hits so close to home also having a sweet little 18month little girl. She had eye surgery when she was 14 months, its heartbreaking to see them in little hospital cribs and gowns. Praying for your family and especially sweet Chloe!!! What a darling she is!

Runt says:

Aw! I hope your little girl gets all better soon!!

Poor baby! Glad she is on the mend. My first born came down with the croup about Chloe’s age…we spend several days in the hospital and it was very hard entertaining him in the ‘croup tent’…I’d climb right in there and play with him. :)
    God bless you and your family

Rachael A. says:

Ohhh, poor thing! And poor mom and dad! I’ve had two of my babies be hospitalized (pneumonia and RSV) – one of our stays was four days, and then a week with an O2 tank at home. Tough! But yes, thank goodness for modern medicine. I’m glad she’s on the mend,

Susan Krauss says:

SO glad she’s on the mend!

Candice Tatman says:

Bless little Chloe. There is absolutely nothing worse than a sick child. My second oldest had seizures that started when she was 6 months old and turned out to be caused because her “body thermostat” was not developed. She went on meds until about age 5 and was absolutely fine. But those first few months were horrible until it was all figured out. Praying for Chloe and you and your husband for a quick recovery!

I am so glad that Chloe is doing better! My sweet little baby was so sick last week. It was really scary! I thought the same thing about living in this day and age that we do! We are so blessed!

çiğdem says:

I hope your little girl gets better soon. I can totally understand what you have been through, cause i lived similar with a 3 months old baby last year. Sending prayers for your family.

Sarah says:

Poor baby! :( She’s still just as cute though! :) Hope she’s all better soon.

Elisabetta says:

oh Ashley, your family passed a very hard time, when little kids are sick is really a hard time.
    this past winter my sister-in-law had your same problem with her baby boy, he was only months and by the fact he was so little they remained all the time at the hospital.
    I wish Chloe a very quick recovery

Jen says:

So scary! I hope she is better soon! Thank heavens for modern day medicine for sure!

Cindy says:

My heartfelt love with you all! May your lil Angel Chole recovers quickly! Chole still is such a beautiful lil gal and looks like she has high spirits with that contagious smile…. love to you all xx

Erin says:

I’m so sorry! I have a four-month-old baby with health complications that probably will never go away, and he spent two weeks in the NICU when he was born–I know exactly about the blood-oxygen saturation, nose canulas, heart rate, temp, etc.! It’s so exhausting having a little one in the hospital. You’re just desperate to get them home where you can take care of them and your whole family can start feeling whole again. I hope Chloe zips through this and that the worst is past. You can do it!

Mary Jo says:

Aw, my heart just dropped when I saw that sweet little girl with the oxygen tubes! I’m so glad things seem to be getting under control and I congratulate you on your well-balanced post and admire how well you wrote it despite, I’m sure, a lot of inner stress. My little one has been rushed to the hospital (at 8 months) and it’s such a scary situation – the ambulance, the ER, etc. My daughter has food allergies and I just sympathize with any child (and parent) that has to undergo such stress and worry. Thank you for posting this bit of your life – I’m sure it wasn’t easy. Your daughter is beautiful and I’m sure she will be bouncing around tube-free in no time.

Nadia says:

Hamdouallah elle va mieux. Mon cœur a chaviré en la voyant avec tout ces tubes. Inchallah tout ira pour le meilleur. C’est pas facile de témoigner la maladie des enfants. Bon courage à toute la famille, bises.

Andaira says:

Mis mejores deseos para esta niña tan guapa. Seguro que Chloe muy pronto se recuperará.
    My best wishes for this girl so beautiful. Chloe sure you will recover soon.(I’m not sure of the translation and the translator)
    Kisses

Shonna Hast says:

It’s so amazing the medical marvels we have today. A similar thing happened to us and i know how hard it is. Like others comments have come in…i praise you for the strong post and willingness to share with your readers. I am so happy to hear that your sweet babe is feeling better. She will be up and running in no time. Take care and sending lots of hugs!

Anna says:

So glad things are looking better. Coming from a family full of asthmatics I completely understand what you’ve been through. So thankful we’ve come a long way even in the past 30 years.

Randa says:

I hope little Chloe is well soon! I’m a nurse at a big pediatric hospital, so I understand what you’re going through. Love your blog!

Shantell V. says:

Eek! That sounds like such a scary and nightmareish thing to go through. I totally agree with you. What a blessing it is to live NOW! I often say prayers of thanks just for living in this time and not earlier. I hope your beautiful daughter recovers quickly. She is so darn cute! Thanks for sharing your many talents and beautiful children.

Annita says:

This looked all too familiar! We spent way too much time in the hospital with my son for the same thing when he was 9 months old. For about a year after it happened he would get oxygen deprived every time he got a virus. Now he is 4 and infrequently has issues…but we know that his triggers are viruses and allergies. Hopefully your little Chloe will also grow out of this.

Amber MacNevin says:

You have a beautiful little Girl and I love your blog and inspiring stories! I pray all will be well in your world very soon! Take care!

Michele says:

Huge hopes your sweet one outgrows it quickly. She’s so patient.

HW says:

So sad to hear your baby has been so sick, but I’m glad she’s on the mend now.

Gail Davis says:

We spent half of our middle son’s first 7 years in the hospital with reactive airway disease, which he usually had flare ups with croup, an no win situation. I would have loved the toe meter, back then they had to take blood to check oxygen, when the little one is dehydrated that is very difficult. We keep her in our prayers, and Mommy and Daddy. By the way our little guy is now 31 and has two healthy little girls of his own.

Rachael says:

Oh, she’s so cute! I’m sorry she’s been so sick, and I hope she’s on the mend now. And you’re ALL getting more sleep!

LInda says:

Thank God she is on the mend. Had a few trips to the ER with my kids years ago. Such a scary thing.

You have the cutest little ones!

Nathalie says:

How terrifying! You must be exhausted in every possible way.
    I have never heard of RAD, but my family has had a lot of trouble with asthma……taking dairy out of the diet has helped immensely. I know every situation is different, but good luck!

Nicia says:

Prayers are with little Chloe and your family! Hope she continues to get well!!

Awwww! Poor baby Chloe. I pray that her health improves more each day! My 3 1/2 year old has had similar issues and hospital visits, but she had gotten better with age.

Tina says:

Oh what a wee little (adorable) trooper you have there! I am sending your family some big ol hugs and prayers from me and my wee little one too!

Teresa says:

It happened the same to my son when he was 10 months old :( It’s really sad and painful to see them like that! We still don’t know what happened! All doctors said was that we needed to keep an eye on him and if he had difficuties breathing to take him to hospital. He’s much better now (he’s 16months), but as the cold weather approches (here in Portugal Autumn is staring now with some rain!!)… my heart begans to shrink in worry that it happens again :(
    I’m glad that your little one is ok now!
    Lot’s of love to you and your family :)

SamG says:

Phew, so glad Chloe is ok, its such a worry when kids are poorly.
    Hoping you don’t go through this too often. :o)

debi miller says:

God bless you and your husband and Chloe through all of this. I’ve been a nurse for 41 years and I could never work in pediatrics for the same reason of the feelings you and your husband have felt. Even I was terrified each time my children were ill. Being a parent and a nurse doesn’t make it easier. My youngest son, who is now 35, had meningitis 2 years ago and I was very upset.
    I thought very hard on what you were going through and said a prayer that you have the strength to battle this and pass that on to Chloe. Love to you all.

khursten says:

Oh my goodness. This brought tears to my eyes. That beautiful, sweet, precious little girl. She is such a trooper. I will be praying for you all and her little body to be healed. This too shall pass. <3

Tracy says:

Oh, poor baby. And poor mommy and daddy – what a scare. Hugs and prayers to the three of you.

Melissa says:

I’m glad you all are on the mend now and starting to get better. I am a mother of a chuild that had RAD and now have a grandchild with it. I also was a Pediatric nurse for 20 yrs and took care of thoise patients too. I know how you feel in both ways. I hope that Chloe gets better and doesn’t scare mommy and daddy as bad next time. Prayers to your family.

Melissa

nelda says:

I hope Chole feels better soon… I know the feeling I have a son with a rare birth defect and we stayed in the hospital for more than a year and he hates that pulse Ox and canula too. You all take care and God bless!

Jill says:

So glad she is home and you ALL are doing better <3
    Just wanted to also say she has got to be one of the most adorable little girls, tubes and all, that I've seen in a long time!
    Praise God for good docs! Get healthy soon cutie! <3

Taylor says:

Poor sweet baby girl! And poor parents, when my second son was only 11 days old, the exact same thing happened. Everyone told me I was being over protective but I thought it looked like he was breathing hard. I was right his O2 was at 87 and we also rode in an ambulance to the icu :( we had to stay 7 days and it was so hard! Turns out he had rsv. Both of my boys had rsv and because of it they not have something called onset asthma- basically when they get a cold or allergies they get a little touch ofwheezing. Right when I start hearing it we do an at home nebulizer and it’s all better!good luck mom!

Andi says:

How well I know those beeping monitors, the feet of oxygen cord snaking through the house, how your heart drops as those oxygen numbers fall lower (and you start breathing again when they climb back to their proper place…) Glad to hear Chloe is feeling better (and I am sure you are recovering too!) Prayers for continued health and strength for all of you!

Bonnie Ditto says:

Had been missing you and wondered if someone was ill. Happy to see that sweet Chloe face. Children are so precious and such treasures. So hard when they are sick. Mom and Dad are usually worse off than the little ones. Prayers for all.

Gealean Murray says:

Poor sweet little Chloe! So glad yall have it figured out! <3

Oh Ashley! My heart goes out to you and your beautiful baby girl. I would be just a mess about all this if it happened to one of my kids. I’m sure you were, but I DEF would not able to take gorgeous pics of that sweet face and blog about it in the midst of it all!!! I love all your pretty crafty posts, but I’m just in awe over how you can make a “work of art and literature” out of this very trying episode. Blessings to you and yours. You rock woman!

Marie says:

SO grateful she is okay and that you’ve got the perspective you’ve got. Loads o’prayers lifted both for Chloe’s continued improvement and your peace of mind. Keep us posted when you get a chance ~

Meg Nelson says:

What a tramatic time for you and your family. I am so sorry! Glad to hear though that you do know what it is, that it doesn’tl appear life-threatening and that hopefully are on the mend. Chloe is an absolutely beautiful little girl, what a doll. Will pray for continued good health for her and low-stress levels for you and your family.

ashley says:

aw, im so sorry. she totally does make one adorable lil granny tho.

Sheila in Sf says:

What a beautiful little girl. My prayers are with you all. Hope this will be behind you soon and things back to normal.

Best.

brittany says:

so scary. It is the worst when they can’t breathe. Emma had RSV when she was just a few months old and we spent my birthday and conference weekend in the hospital. We definitely are watched over from above. I know there were guardian angels in our hospital room with us. Hope your little one gets over this soon so mommy can get some sleep.

susan says:

Oh goodness. What a little dear. That must have been so frightfully scary. I am so happy she is on the mend. Hugs and good healing thoughts for your family

lucyl says:

God is good all the time mam ashley ….youre lil angel will be fine .Our Lord will not leave us nor forsake us

Michelle says:

I am sending good thoughts your way. I too (like many others who have posted) have had both my girls in the NICU for illnesses. It is so incredibly scary but as parents we need to stay strong. You are doing such a great job of being strong. Your positive and grateful attitude is inspiring. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and I can’t wait to see your little monkey tube free and posing for some new outfit you have whipped up in your “spare” time :)

molly says:

Oh baby girl, you look so precious with those princess bandaids, but I’m hoping that after this, mama never has to put them on your face again!!! I hope she is on the mend a little more each day! Hugs to you guys.

Katrine says:

Wow. That’s rough. She is a cutie! I hope she gets better soon.

Camille says:

I love your blog. I have followed it for a long time, because I love what you make but mostly because I can relate to your life. I have three kids, the oldest just started kindergarten, the youngest 18 months. We lived in Georgia too, and made the huge move out west via car, kids throwing up, etc., not too long before you did. And I loved it all. And now your sweet baby has given you a scare. My mind has wandered to those scary places too, with my second child. He is miraculously doing so much better now. I’m so glad Chloe is okay! What a little trooper to put up with those tubes! And she looks stinkin’ cute just up from her nap. :). Good luck with the monitoring…sounds stressful! And hopefully she will be better soon!

Shruti says:

OMG! Take care, of yourself too! You’ll be in my prayers today… Hugs from India!

sana says:

Such an awesome little girl and very lucky girl to have such strong parents!! especially that daddy who put up with that throw up :) ….plz keep us updated on her!! much love !

Laura Hawkins says:

Praying for all of you!

Aubrey R says:

Ohmy. How tough. Our little 5 year old girl had to be rushed to the ER two weeks ago and hospitalized. She was sick and got dehydrated so fast…not able to keep anything down at all. It was terrifying, so when I read about your ups and downs with your little girl (and she’s so much smaller and younger!) my heart felt it. I’m so glad she’s doing better and (((hugs))) from a fellow mama who has seen a hospital room lately.

Sarah says:

Oh, poor baby!! And poor momma…I know that’s got to be terrifying. Glad she’s doing better and hope she continues to get better!

KaMarlowete says:

Poor little C! She’s a doll, though, even with her o2!

Lisa says:

Oh my gosh, she is too darn cute! I love those pictures. I’m glad she’s feeling better and hopefully she can get rid of the tubes and the tank soon.

Heather says:

Ohhhhh Poor Chloe! But that first picture is priceless- so sad and beautiful! I hope she gets feeling better really really soon.

Chelsea says:

I’m so sorry, those moments of motherhood are the very hardest. When we watch our children struggle in poor health. I hope she grows out of it very soon! She’s so beautiful!

Donna says:

Glad she’s feeling better. I feel your pain. It can be incredibly frightening watching your child struggle to breath. We had to suffer through it for several weeks before our little one (now 5 months) had a tracheostomy that probably saved her life. She is on oxygen w/ humidity, the PulseOx and a feeding pump 24/7. She sleeps in a bassinet right next to me so I’ll know if she stops breathing or needs suction. All the equipment is frustrating and we pray for the day when she no longer needs them, but we are also thankful b/c our little princess probably wouldn’t be w/ us were it not for such amazing technology.

melane says:

Glad she is feeling better, being a mom is so different. it is a blessing to live in this day and age. I hope you catch some z’s as well as your littlest princess.

Poor little girl! Hope she gets better soon. xx

Christine says:

I’m sure she was the cutest little patient they had! Glad to here she is doing better.

Galina. says:

Glad she is feeling better. Praying for all of you!

RobyGiup says:

Poor cutie… And poor parents too, I can’t imagine how worried you have been…
    I’m happy she feels better and hope the recovery will be fast!
    A big hug to all the family!

Barnicles says:

big hugs! wow what a fighter. great things will come from that girl!

hope you got some sleep and feeling better now.

ps the plasters are so cool!

Bx

Jillia says:

I so feel for you and your sweet little punkin. My son who just turned 8 has been dealing with breathing issues since about 9 months of age. He was diagnosed with RAD too, since they really don’t diagnose with asthma at such a young age. He has asthma now, but his condition has improved by leaps and bounds. He takes singulair and Flovent, and has a rescue inhaler, but really only needs it when he is sick because his controller meds work so well for him. It is so scary when they are so little because they can’t tell you what they feel, just keep hanging in there. My prayers are with you all.

Amy says:

Dealing with oxygen is no fun. I have twin boys who were born at only 25 weeks. Xander skated through pretty good but my other son Jacob had complication after complication. He didn’t come home from the hospital until 2 weeks before his 1st birthday. And even then he wasn’t in perfect health. He was on 2L of oxygen, an O2 monitor and feeding tube. Now at almost 2 and half he has kicked his O2 habit and hasn’t look back.
    We used duoderm and tegaderm to keep his prongs on his face. They are very breathable so they didn’t irritate his skin so bad. Also after putting the O2 probe on his toe we would wrap it with ‘coban’; this is a special tape that only sticks to itself. It made the probes last much longer and stay put much better. We would often put a sock on his foot too.
    I hope little Chloe is doing better. There is nothing worse than watching your child suffer and not be able to do anything.

ann says:

Hope she gets better!

Amy L says:

Praying for you and that sweet baby girl! We have had our fair share of hospital visits and breathing treatments, but to have to use an oxygen tank I’m sure was very scary. Hang in there momma!

Elizabeth Davis says:

So glad your little one is okay. Such a brave little girl (and mommy)! Sending love and healing thoughts your way.

Lynette says:

Oh man, so scary! I’m glad she made friends with all the equipment. :) And she makes such a cute ‘granny.’ I’m glad that she is on the mend. I will keep your little Chloe in my prayers!

Jaci says:

SOunds like RSV…my little guy had it at about 13 mos along with pnemonia (because if he’s going to do something he’s going all the way) and we spent a week in the hospital b/c of O2 saturation levels needing to go/stay up. SO glad they let you go home with O2. We too had issues with the cannula….my stroke of genius was to cut down the prong s tiny bit and tape that sucker to his pacy….then we just kept the pacy in his mouth 24/7. He had rarely used it before and it took me 6 months to get him off of it afterwards but it was worth it b/c he pulled the tape off his face within seconds of it being on there about 7x in a row! WOrd to the wise though since he had RSV he and other kiddos that get it do have RAD now so any little surgery tubes, tonsils etc goes from an hour-ish recovery to an 8 hour recovery due to lovely O2 sats! Hope she continues to rebound well!!

Kathleen says:

So sorry to hear how sick Chloe’s been! That must of been very scary. So glad she is doing better. Prayers heading your way for a speedy recovery!
    blessings, Kathleen

cucicucicoo says:

oh that poor little sweetie!! :( i can imagine it’s been quite a few very scary days for you all, but thank goodness things seem to be under control. hugs and quick recovery to your munchkin!

Stacey says:

Oh, poor little Chloe! My heart goes out to her and to you and Steve. How scary to have such a little one so sick. But it must help (a lot) to have a PA in the house. Get well soon little sweetie!

denise says:

Las historias en todas partes del mundo con niños,suenan iguales niños lloran no pueden respirar, están aburridos, padres y madres preocupados y básicamente impotentes por sus pequeños.Yo pase una historia de neumonia hacen ya 18 años y comprendo lo del hospital y todo lo que eso supone. Envió mis mejores deseos para que tu pequeña se reponga muy pronto lo bueno es que depues estar mas picara y divertida, un beso para ambas.

Amy says:

My baby had RSV at 6 weeks old. It was horrible!!!! Seeing my tiny baby not able to breath and with oxygen in his nose…oh my heart still aches when i think about it. I’m so sorry for your baby! I hope she gets better soon!

This must be so scary and exhausting for you! I can’t imagine trying to get my daughter to wear that oxygen (she’s 2)! I am glad she is on the mend. Take it easy and rest up! :)

Jenn says:

So sorry to hear about little Chloe, babies should not be allowed to get sick. I’m glad she’s doing better and am sending prayers to your whole family. Hope everyone stays positive and well!

Angie says:

I know just where you are coming from, and will be thinking of you and praying for all of you as you get through this. When my now 4 year old son was 9 months old he got a strep pneumonia that spread to his blood. It meant a week in our local hospital and then when things got worse he was flown to Phoenix Children’s hospital for a week, then we were sent home with oxygen, a pic line, and a month supply of antibiotics. It is scary, and makes you think seriously about what could happen. But, like you said, thank goodness for modern medicine and a Heavenly Father that loves us and answers our prayers. I am so impressed with how you have dealt with and handled this scary situation. You are wonderful parents with some of the cutest, sweetest little ones!

Mariya says:

Oh my gosh, this is scary. Glad you’re all handling it so well. Hope it gets better soon.

Tricia says:

Chloe and the rest of your family are in my prayers! God Bless!

AtoZ says:

Thank goodness your baby girl is getting better. I would be scared out of my mind if one of my babies was having to go through all of that, you’re a strong woman and mother and I hope nothing but the best for you.

Katy Cox says:

Good thoughts being sent your way. It’s hard when our little ones suffer. Glad your baby girl is on the mend!

Anshu says:

Oh my! Having kids fall sick really sucks! My best wishes for little Chloe! Hope she is back to her usual self soon.

Laura says:

Two of my babies have asthma (ok, they’re 8 and almost 4, but still). I feel for you. Going through something like that is so scary. Especially when you don’t know what’s going on. Yay for God’s gift of medical knowledge. :) Love and hugs to your whole family.

Marissa says:

My oldest had the same problem when he was 13 months. He was in and out of the hospital for almost a year. It was so scary and frustrating. I’m sure glad she’s feeling better. I’m also a nurse who works in the Newborn ICU so I deal with those pulse ox monitors and oxygen all the time. they can get a bit annoying. I completely understand. But they sure are important. Sending prayers your way little Chloe.

Jenna says:

Im so glad she’s feeling and doing better. Im a nurse and sometimes on my nights off I hear beeps in my sleep!!

depro says:

Oh, what a little cutie! Hope she is feeling better, and tickle her wiggling little toes for us grannies!

Lisa says:

We have struggled with similar issues since our son was around a year. He seems to have the most trouble as the seasons change. Starting him on allergy medicines as well as asthma medications (although they don’t want to call it asthma) have really helped to keep his symptoms under control. We have also learned to recognize some of the signs that a flare up is getting ready to happen (running nose, hoarse voice, etc.) and can head things off with some extra medication before we get to the struggling to breathe place. It is so scary! I hope you are able to create a plan for Chloe that keeps her feeling her best!

Lucinda says:

Precious, precious little baby girl. That last picture is just priceless – what a trooper you have! And you yourself – so very brave and positive. What a gift!

Vicki says:

Poor little one! I hope she continues to get better.

d enise says:

best wishes to sweet chloe! glad u were able to treat it right away !

Colleen B says:

Oh my…I hope she is doing better! My daughter and I both struggle with asthma and I wanted to share something that has happened in our lives over the last 10 months. I have been in Zyrtec for the last 10 years, Singulair and Albuterol for the last 2-3. I had done Advair before that but body started reacting to the Advair and my “asthma cough” that wouldn’t go away turned out to be inflammation from the advair. My daughter, who is 7, has been on asthma and allergy meds for the last 4 years. Both of us would get respiratory infections every 3 months…pretty much like clockwork. So, last summer (of 2011) I started to learn more about food we eat and what it does to our bodies (I started with HFCS in Diet Coke…which I was addicted to) and other artificial sweeteners. Within days of learning what HFCS did to your body I stopped consuming it and threw out everything with it in my house. That fall we got HIT with a nasty, 3-4 month respiratory illness. It was bad. And the meds weren’t really working like I thought they should. Then I heard a doctor talk about dairy and that the first thing she tells her asthma patients to do is give up dairy. if they can’t do that, then switch to raw dairy . As you know, dairy makes us produce more mucus, something that isn’t good for an asthma flare up. And pasteurized dairy no longer contains certain enzymes that help us break down the dairy. Well, I decided to try and found an organic dairy farm that produced raw milk safely. Within 3 DAYS of switching just from regular milk to raw milk, my daughter’s cough stopped. Gone. When we ran out of that gallon I got regular milk again. 3 days later, her cough was back. So, we went back to raw and haven’t looked back. This started us down a path of switching to organic to avoid GMO (google Robyn O’Brien Tedx talk – it is about food allergies and GMO and you will be amazed)…another very likely culprit of asthma, giving up most processed food, and learning what foods heal when we are starting to have an allergy or asthma flareup (super greens powder, raw honey, coconut oil, raw dairy, beets, lemon water, kombucha….things that help our bodies stay healthy or fight off illness). I am amazed and in awe to tell you that my daughter and I have been COMPLETELY FREE of asthma meds since January 1. And, after I detoxed off Zyrtec (3 weeks of intense and constant itching…it was horrendous) we have been allergy meds free since then also. I did have to take a benedryl this week because the allergies are heightened right now, but I think I was having an allergy to a food I ingested because it was just that once and have been better since then. I would highly suggest any of your readers who said they are on meds and understand what you are going thru go online and do some research. It has literally changed our life. And for anyone who says you can’t afford to go organic, I say…I couldn’t afford all those meds! Our grocery bill is NOTHING compared to the medical bills for being in the doctor every 2-3 months (for multiple people in our home) and meds to go with it. Plus, just the non-monetary “cost” of living like that. So…feel free to contact me if you have questions. I love to talk about this because it has been so amazing. And I love to help other families learn some of these things too! Blessings!

Amy says:

My daughter too was having constant colds, with a horrendous cough, croup etc. She was “diagnosed” ( as she is too young) with probable asthma. I’ve had her off dairy now since before summer.. and though she has had a couple runny noses, NO terrible all night coughing, no need for inhalers or hospital visits! It’s been such a relief!! Definitely worthy of trying… as it’s a simple solution if it works for your child!

Malori says:

I am a huge fan of your blog, but I very rarely comment. You know my sister-in-law Nikki from high school and she was helping you out with some ordering and stuff for a while…..
    Anyways, I just wanted to tell you that you and your sweet little girl will be in our prayers. We are so blessed to live in this time with modern technology!
    I’m glad things are going better!

Brie says:

I am so glad she is ok. I know when my oldest daughter was little she stopped breathing one night. (she had pneumonia) I am so thankful for the amazing technology we have.

Adva says:

feel better chloe!

LindseyZ says:

Prayers for her and the family! I have a daughter with asthma and know it can be scaryM

Heidi C says:

My heart sank when I seen that Nasal Cannula on her sweet little face! Praise the Lord she is on the mend. Bless her little heart! Prayers for her and your family! I work in a hospital but could NEVER work in PEDS. I would cry all day long. She is such a little trooper!

Lisa says:

Way to go, Mom and Dad! You, and all the parents who care for their sick children, are truly heroes! You are doing an amazing job and you deserve some time to relax and recharge. Go easy on yourselves–order in dinner, go for frappaccinos, take turns getting naps and see a funny movie. Laughter is the best medicine and giggling little ones are the best! Wishing you and your family all the best!

Mercy says:

God Speed Ashley!

sepide says:

I wish perfect health for lovely Chloe <3

Sarah says:

Aww… our little one has had some health issues so I know how scary all those machines can be. And how necessary. And I also give thanks that we live in this day and age… all the best and hope things improve.

Valorie says:

Hugs!!!

Helen says:

Your daughter is so cute! I hope that she gets better soon!

Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

Mehek says:

hey ashley…just read about chloe…i have a 20 month old daughter myself so can totally understand what you must be going through….but don’t worry the good god is looking down and she will be alright before you know it…sending lots of love, wishes and prayers to little chloe from the uk:-)get well soon dear

So sorry. We just got home from the hospital with our 16 month old who had the scary, rattling and retracting breathing yesterday. Such a hard thing to go through. Hope all continues to go well with Chloe!

MeagsK says:

Oh Bless, so glad she is feeling better. I can see that Oxygen tank getting a Make It Love It make over and turned into a beautiful princess. How cool would it be for the kiddies too if the monitor on the big toe was a little puppet or something to make them smile. My prayers are with you and all those with sick children x x

Cyndel says:

Just went through a hospital stay with my 5 yo. Pneumonia…not fun, but at least we don’t have to worry about it happening again! I mean he could get it again, but it isn’t a definite thing.
    Hope she is at full health very soon!!

Becky says:

so many hugs.

nana says:

all of our wishes for your little baby choe, to recover very very quickly !

Kristina Noall says:

Can I just say, my hat is off to ALL of you–Chloe, you, your husband, and all these dear people who have commented about the sacrifices they’ve had to make, burdens they’ve had to shoulder, and worrying they’ve done about their kids when they’ve been sick. I’ve been so blessed so far in that we’ve never dealt with anything serious whatsoever, and I’m feeling much more grateful than usual for that after reading all these heartfelt comments. Very glad Chloe is doing better, and great job hanging in there and being positive, Ashley. What a wonderful mom your kids have!

狼女 says:

希望她快点好

Pooja says:

Wish you and little Chloe all the best and a quick recovery.

kat says:

so glad she’s doing better – we have a little girl around the same age and she had to be in the hospital for a long time around 3 months so I understand what you guys have been going through! Glad to hear you’re home and off the tank now. Hugs to your little cutie!

Amy says:

Ever since I read your post about your darling Chloe I felt the should to share about essential oils. Tonight I am feeling like I NEED to tell you in case you don’t know about them because I have witnessed so many people heal by having these tools. Have you heard about them? Do you use them? I have been using doTERRA’s for about 3 years and LOVE them! They give me so much peace because they work to bring the body into balance (even killing viruses) without side effects! There are some to help with opening airways, colds, flu, and help to oxygenate the blood, just to name a few. I would love to help you get some! They have change my life. I promise you will love them too! Send me an email or look here for more info! http://www.doterra.myvoffice.com/amypayne/ or email [email protected]

Lynn says:

she’s a darling…..get well, sweet girl!!!

Kathy Angell says:

We pray she be well so very soon!
    Love to you all. Kathy

Virginia says:

Wish you all the best for Chloe. I cannot imagine myself in such a situation wih my little 3-year-old girl. Impressive how nicely you are dealing with this, I’m sure your attitude is keeping Chloe up and running. You are an example for many of us.

Kathryn RN says:

Thank you for letting us nurses know what it is to live on the other side of the bed. People like you remind me of why I chose to be a nurse.

178. 177.1
    Erin says:

My heartfelt prayers go out to you and Chloe. From experience I know how scary it can be. At 4 weeks old my little Cora came down with a cold that quickly turned into a gasping for air, chest tightening nightmare. It was RSV. Off to the the ER then admitted to the hospital. She had such hard time breathing that she wouldn’t wake up even to eat and stayed asleep for 23 hrs straight. So many wires and tubes and IVs. Thank God for modern medicine because my daughter (and probably yours) wouldn’t be here today if this happened 100 years ago. She was a feisty fighter and after the scariest 8 days of my life, we took her home. She is 2 now and she has asthma, but there is a good chance she will grown out of it. Kids are resilient and adapt well. I’m so thankful Chloe is getting better. I know how scary it is. Keeping you guys in my prayers.