Happy Labor Day!

I love a good long weekend.  Especially when we’re ALL off, Steve included.

And to celebrate, we yanked the kids out of bed on Saturday, earlier than they normally rise (6:30, rather than 7:30-8), and headed to a Balloon Festival.

I know, what kind of crazy mother would wake her kids early.  Believe me, I debated back and forth, back and forth.  But finally decided the pros outweighed the cons.  Barely. ;)

The weather was perfect and the kids were excited.  They kept pointing and shouting, pointing and shouting.  “Look over there mommy!”  Oh wow, Connor, look at that big one!”  “Elli, Elli, Elli, look! That’s a HUGE one!”

Each hot air balloon filled up…….and then one by one, they lifted off the ground.

It was all sorts of magical for the kiddos.  They waved and cheered as each one took flight.

And it only took about 7 different explanations before Connor wiped away his tears and finally understood that he couldn’t ride in one.

Chloe didn’t make a peep all morning.  She was half mesmerized by it all and half wondering why she was pulled out of bed before finishing her final REM cycle.

On the way home, as each child was cranky in their own little way, we decided it was still worth it to get up early. All that excitement was priceless.

And you betcha, everyone napped after coming home from our early morning out.  Even me.

-Ashley

Filed under Family, Featured

Comments

20 Responses to “Happy Labor Day!”
    Melissa says:

Beautiful pictures! We went yesterday, but the balloons didn’t lift off because of the “wind”. :)
    The Balloon Festival is such a fun event. You’ll have to take them to the Glo one night when you’re willing to put them to bed later. It’s so pretty!

beth says:

Was this in Colorado Springs today? The balloons all look like the ones we saw this morning, but the sky looks a lot more blue than what we saw….

Adina says:

We got married on labor day three years ago. I wish they did this where I live. This would have been a fun anniversary outing. Our two yr old would have loved it.
    The pictures are beautiful!

Drea says:

This makes me so homesick! This was one of our favorite things growing up and seeing those balloons lift up with the mountains in the background made the early hours totally worth it!

Adri says:

We went today, too! Loved it!

deborah says:

How fun!! Hot air balloons are so neat and unique. Looks like a super fun outing to have with kiddos!

Wow, how exciting! Lovely pictures – that must have been so much fun!

nanci says:

Gosh, what fabulous pics! I suppose you just started clicking and these were just a few of them. It looks like a perfect day to go ballooning. thanks so much for posting.

Kendra says:

Oh, is that down in the Springs? I wanted to go so badly but it just wasn’t in the cards this weekend. I was not up for making the 2 hour drive down there with 3 kids while my husband was out of town. You got some amazing pictures, thanks for sharing them :)

Nicole says:

How neat! I have been to one balloon festival, don’t know why we don’t have more in Missouri. I love your photos.

We do this every year as well. This year it was sooooo dry in our area that it was cancelled for fire hazards. :/ Looks
    like you had a great time!

Dianne says:

Wow… I’ve never been to a balloon festival – what a great sight and story!
    I live in Brisbane (Aust) and love sitting on my back deck, watching the early morning balloons flying over our city when the weather is cooler so can only imagine the excitement of your little ones as they watch them inflate and take off! Will definitely have to put a ride in one on my bucket list!!!
    PS: Love the comment about Chloe’s final REM cycle – made me laugh!

connnie says:

Great pictures! i love hot air balloons.

Nichole Avila says:

My parents did this with us as kids and I have not forgotten it! It was worth it! Beautiful pictures!

Emily says:

What beautiful pics! I saw in the CS Gazette that they were requesting reader’s balloon photos. You should send yours in!

DeedraMartinez says:

I love air ballons. Growing up in Texas we had alot of land and one land in our back yard. My mom freaked out , I will always s remember that day.

Sarah says:

LOVE. There’s a town near us that does hot air balloons. I should really take the kids to see it. Your photos really capture the grand scale of the scene. They look so tiny up in the air – talk about a lesson in perspective!

kaitlin says:

that looks so much fun, once i went as a kid, it was sunny but that wasn’t going to stop me from spotting and following the balloons high up in the air!….however it did mean i would get sun burnt.

lovely pictures, glad you had a great day

Runt says:

Those are great pictures! Even I would have gotten up early for that one! =]

Erin says:

You can’t live in CS and not go to the balloon festival at least once! I think it might be some kind of requirement. :-) Reminds me of being little and going with my parents.