Thinking about Halloween

Connor and Elli have been keeping busy in the dress-up box lately.  They think up stories about queens and witches, bad guys fighting off dragons, and wicked step-mothers selling golden eggs to townspeople.  I love over hearing what they’re talking about, because it usually cracks me up.  And if they catch me snickering, they fall out of character and get embarrassed.  Ooops.

But the other day, I noticed Elli wearing her old Mary Poppins costume and Connor stuffed into his really old Prince Charming costume.  They were acting out some Prince/Princess theme.

But the real reason I pulled out the camera, was to zoom in on Connor’s root-beer-belly.  Holy smokes……he looked like a sausage link, busting out of his outer wrapper.

He had no clue that his 2 year old Prince Charming costume was just a tad too small.  Hey, he was in character…….acting out his “prince” responsibilities, as instructed by his “princess”.

And Elli, well, she just spun her little heart out.  It’s a good thing her Mary Poppins costume still fits.  She is still a spinner! ;)

I’m just glad we’re getting lots of use out of old Halloween costumes.  Makes it all worth it!

. . . . .

While they were playing, it got me thinking about Halloween this year.

I better start putting on the pressure to choose some costume ideas, if they want me to make them again this year.  I’m not sure if they’ll want to fit into a theme again.  But I’ll still try and “suggest” a theme.  Well, if I can think of one.  Any ideas out there?  What are you making/buying for your kids this year?  Or even for yourself?

Oh, if you have a really great theme idea but you’re just not quite sure how to tackle it, tell me what it is and maybe I’ll need to use it for my kids too.  Then you’ll have some instruction ideas on how to make it for your family too. ;)  Haha…….just trying to pull out ideas here. :)

Enjoy your day!

-Ashley

Comments

178 Responses to “Thinking about Halloween”
    Andrea says:

My son wants to be a Hexbug (I’m letting him and his dad figure out exactly HOW to make that one). My daughter wants to be a monkey like last year (bingo! I love costume I already have!) And I decided to dress up too. I’m going to be Delores Umbridge from Harry Potter. I even found pink tweed shoes on ebay. Now I just need to make the pink tweed cape….

Samantha K. says:

I have thought of a couple of ideas, but I can’t sew to save my life, so I doubt I can execute any of them without tons of help. :) But my kids love 101 Dalmatians, so I thought Cruella DeVille for my 4 year old daughter and dalmatian puppies for my 2 year old son and 2 month old baby girl. I also thought of Alice in Wonderland and there are tons of options with that one- my oldest would want to be Alice, I’m sure, but my son could be a playing card, or the mad hatter. The baby would make an adorable white rabbit, caterpillar or cheshire cat. Or I could have the younger two be tweedle dee and tweedle dum! The kids also love The Incredibles (which they refer to as ‘The Daddy Show’ because they think my husband really is Mr. Incredible. There is a bit of a resemblance. haha!) and as a family of 5 we have just the right number to pull that one off. So lots of ideas, (all disney! ha!) not sure what we’ll go with! I’m sure your kids will have gorgeous costumes as always, whatever you decide! :)

Christina says:

What about the scare crow, the lion, and the tin man from the Wizard of Oz?? That movie was always one of my favorites!

Bonnie says:

My kids are going themed again this year as Jasmine and Aladdin (as Prince Ali). Too bad I’m due in December or the baby could be the monkey Abu! Last year was Rapunzel and Flynn Rider and they were in heaven!

Janice says:

What about the minions in “Despicable Me”? Overalls, yellow hoodie, black shoes & Gloves, goggles, yellow face paint and black pipe cleaner hair sticking through the hood…pretty much all available to the diy’er!

Christy says:

I made my daughter a cupcake a few years ago and it was so fun! I love food costumes! So, I am a trying to subtly push my kids toward a big brother / little sister campfire food theme like a hot dog and a smore :D Not exactly sure how I’d make those but it would be so fun! If my daughter wins I’ll be turning her into a rose with a big rose headpiece and petal skirt.

Natalie says:

My sister-in-law and family are thinking of being Things from Dr. Seuss … Mom and Dad will be Thing 1 and Thing 2, the kiddos will be Things A, B, C, D. I think it’s a fun idea! Keep us posted on what you decide!!

Cassie says:

My kiddos want to be Jessie and Woody from Toy Story — it’s pretty simple to put together, except the shirts. I have material for both but have never tried a collar shirt before… it’s a little scary! :) I’d love to see you do a tutorial for that!

Yeisha says:

Lalaloopsy dolls—there is boy and girls to choose from and they each have their own pets!

Sherri says:

3 Little Monkeys…(either jumping on the bed) i.e. put wheels on a toddler bed, dress the kids in monkey costumes and roll them down the street JUMPING ON THE BED. teehee! Or do the “hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil” monkeys. Again, put them on a downed tree or a stump in a wagon, pull them around in their poses. If you were in my neck of the woods, we would have to do a photoshoot! :)

I have the ideas, but implementing is always very difficult. LOL!

Jen says:

My husband and son are going to be Batman and Robin – with my son being Batman and my husband being Robin :P

I’m going to try your tute for the pregnant skeleton shirt since I don’t want to be a pregnant cat woman. :)

Brenda says:

Sorry, but we’re using your idea from last year! I’ll be Mary, hubs will be Bert, and then our 11-month-old will be a penguin…looking forward to it!

Charity G. says:

I’m thinking of doing my three older boys (5 and twin 2.5 year olds) as the various Batmans – all black, gray and black, gray and blue. We’ll have a 1.5 month old at that point too and I joked about making him Robin, but I plan on making a Mickey outfit for him to come home from the hospital in, and I’m certain that is what he’ll actually be wearing.

Emily says:

Love these pictures and their imaginations!! :) I’m thinking of a making a flamenco dress for my daughter. It would be cool paired with a matador. :)

What about Alice In Wonderland? Of course there can be Alice, then you can use the Mad Hatter, the white rabbit, queen of hearts, the Cheshire Cat, or even Tweedledee and Tweedledum!

Maren says:

my kids are being angry birds (the black one, the red one, and the yellow one) I know a million other kids will be them, but they will fit over snowsuits well and they really want them, plus Joanns had a sale on felt, so why not. Now all I have to do is convince my husband to be a pig.

Monica says:

Last year my two youngest (then son,2 and daughter 15 months) were BamBam and Pebbles and ADORABLE! I couldn’t convince anyone else to dress up in that theme so the other 2 were their own things. This year my now 3 year old wants to be something/anything Spiderman and I just don’t know what to do with the 2 year old as a ‘sidekick’. Hoping that i can convince him to change his mind but honestly I’m stumped myself as to options. Can’t wait to see what others are doing so I can get some inspiration.

Leia says:

You could do a Sleeping Beauty theme. Oldest as the princess, Middle as prince, Youngest as one of the faeries.

Elizabeth says:

We’re doing the little mermaid this year. I’m Ursula, DH is king triton, my son will be Sebastian and the girls (3 months) will be Ariel. You could do Ariel, Sebastian and flounder!

Gretchen says:

I bought a dinosaur costume from The Children’s Place on clearance in January for $1.50. That is for our (will be by then) 19-month-old son. But struggling with ideas for a 1-month-old daughter. Suggestions? Would love for them to coordinate but just about anything is a better idea than what I have now for a newborn.

Alysha says:

You could make her a little dino-egg!

Vanessa says:

What about a dinosaur egg to go with the dinosaur?

Danielle says:

I think the onesie with a tutu costume works great for baby girls. You can make it anything just by changing the colors – a lady bug, a baby chick, a fairy, a dragon fly (just add wings)… ou make it warmer with leggings and a long sleeve onesie or cooler with shorts and a short sleeve onesie- depending on your climate and halloween activities.

Or sweatsuit costumes would be good. You just add a tail(made out of felt) to the pants and spikes to the hood and back and she can be a comfy dinosaur too. Or add wings(with felt or knit) to the arms and she could be a Pteranadon.

Shayla says:

She could be Pebbles!

Jennifer says:

We’re going to be Peter Pan, Wendy, and Tinkerbell. You could add captain hook, tiger lily, etc.

Cristina G. says:

This year I’ve made my first costume ever, not for my son but for my nephew. He’s been obsessed with Sorcerer Mickey ever since we’ve returned from Disney this February. My in-laws bought him the hat/ears while we were there so I only had to make the outfit which wasn’t as hard as I’d imagined! It was actually a lot of fun and I think I may have caught new sewing bug! Watch out fabric stash here I come! :)

As for your little ones what about Peter Pan?! Conner could be Peter (what little boy wouldn’t love carrying a sword and pretending he could fly), Elli would be Wendy and your youngest could be Tinkerbelle!

What do you think?!

Probably a little old fashioned, and the kids have probably never heard of them… but we are dressing up as Popeye, Olive Oyl, and Sweatpea this year. I bet not many of that family will be out, and she could carry a doll as Sweatpea and I bet he would love muscles and tattoos!

Brooke Hedin says:

We are thinking about doing Mickey, Minnie and Pluto (for the baby). We are also thinking about superhero costumes such as superman, supergirl, or there is always the incredibles or Charlie Brown, Lucy and Snoopy.

christina says:

The characters maybe too old, but I’ve always wanted to dress up as a Crash Test Dummy. Remember they had the entire family of them?

Keri says:

So if I help you come up with ideas can you send me some for my almost 4 year old! :) Some that would be fun for your family: different cereal box characters http://family.go.com/kids-costume-contest/creative-creatures-category/captain-crunch-39660/, Popeye characters, Rock Music Group, Viking or Knight and Princess, or classic toys such as potato head, slinky, or army men http://wildinkpress.com/blog/2011/11/01/a-bit-of-halloween-eye-candy/. Hope that helps!

Darci says:

My little one has short super curly hair. She wants to be Annie. It will be adorable!!!

Gail says:

My 8 yo daughter has decided to go as Christine from Phantom of the opera and somehow managed to talk her 10 yo brother into going as he phantom. His one demand was that he get to have a sword. LOL! Boys will be boys!

My husband and I are going as Red Riding Hood and the Woodsman….steampunk style!

Gail says:

We did kick around the idea of doing Mystery Inc. Since we have 5 in our family (the youngest is as yest undecided what he wants to be). Daddy could be Freddy, my oldest Shaggy, youngest would be Scooby, then my daughter and I would be Velma and Daphne (I’m sure I’d end up as Velma!)

Jenn Martinsen says:

My kids live in the 80′s, so my 4 year old daughter is going as She-ra, my 3 year old son is He-Man, and my 18 month old is Orko. MY Husband is going to be Skeletor and I am going to be Sorceress:)

Shannon says:

My kids want to be characters from Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas, mostly because the 3 year old is OBSESSED with Jack Skellington <3

Misty says:

I’ve been thinking of making these superhero inspired ones. I want to dress my son as batman and his twin sister as robin. http://www.etsy.com/listing/103483336/rockin-robin-batman-and-robin-inspired I’ve already ordered the crocheted headband/tube top and the tutu seems to be just tulle tied on the bottom but I’m scared about not knowing how to do the sleeves.

Leanne says:

I love this post! Our little man will be almost 10 months at Halloween and I’m constantly thinking of costume options for the three of us. My husband is pretty anti-halloween, but I adore it, so I need to come up with something good to convince him! Last year I was a pregnant skeleton but hubby just wore a t-shirt and hat – he went as himself. Lame! :-)

Crystal says:

I think a washer, dryer and basket of dirty clothes would be cute!

carrie says:

My kids want to do Jake and the Neverland Pirates. I have 2 boys ages 6 and 2 and they will be Jake & Cubby. My 7yr old daughter wants to be Izzy. And we’re having a baby girl next month – they want her to be the parrot!

Past years we’ve done Mickey & Minnie, Alvin & Brittany (The Chipmunks), Mario, Peach, and Toad, and last year we had a ghost, mummmy, and a ghostbuster :) Every year I vow that it’s the last year we will do a theme and definitely the last year I will make the costumes… and every year I abandon that thought and try my hand at putting together costumes.

Alysha says:

We must be on the same wavelength- I JUST started looking up ideas for our family on the internet. The only thing I can come up with is a Star Wars theme, mainly because I am so excited to dress up my littlest one as a cute, furry Ewok! But I’m not 100% married to the idea.

MaryDawn says:

We are doing Rapunzel and Flynn. I am not very crafty and really have no clue how I am tackling this but it is gonna happen :)

Melany says:

My 3-year old has naturally curly red hair, so she’s going to be Strawberry Shortcake, the old school version with the white apron and poofy hat, and my 4-month old baby girl is going to be, you guess it, a strawberry. :) Maybe your kiddos could all be a different fruit! And you could be the Chiquita banana lady! Ha! :)

Jaci says:

we are doing minions from despicable me….I just have to find yellow hoodies

Vanessa says:

I’m trying to figure something out too! I’ve got three girls – ages 6, 4, and 1. I would love to make some costumes that go on a theme but it’s hard to think of three girls costumes that go together. We’ve done way too many princess costumes already!

Jenna says:

They should be the witches from Disney’s Hocus Pocus! It’s one of my favorite Halloween movies and there is three!!

ann says:

I always make the halloween costumes for my son (7 yrs) and my daughter (5 yrs). My son was Yoshi the dinosaur from Nintendo two yrs ago and last yr he was Sam Flynn from TRON. My daughter was a princess two years ago and last year was a mermaid. This year my son wants to be a stag beetle and my daughter wants to be a bunny. I like what they come up with every year! It’s alot of fun for them and for me. They like how no one else has the same costume as them:)

Jenn says:

I toyed with lots of family themes (most requiring obscure additions being a family of 6 :( ) but had a really difficult time finding something I really liked. I almost threw mI ny hands in the air and said “Be whoever! I don’t care!” but then reminded myself it was the baby’s first Halloween. I did more searching and found cute ideas (my favorite being the Nightmare Before Christmas- Jack, Sally, Lock, Shock, Barrel & the Boogie man) but everything forced the baby into not a very ‘cutesy’ character. Then someone told me she looked just like a Cabbage Patch Doll and the family theme was born! We are going to be hit toys from the 80s-GI Joe, Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake, Ninja Turtle, He-man, and Cabbage Patch Kid! I hope it turns out as good as it looks in my head!

Michelle says:

I don’t have any ideas but I’m cracking up over your son with his zipper down. Hah! I have a 3 year old son and I totally get that all the time.

Amanda says:

My 3 yo daughter is going as a “pirate princess” (I suggested pirate, she added the princess and told me she needed a crown with her costume), and my 7 month old son will be a parrot. I love diy-ing Halloween costumes! I have already scouted my favorite sites and found inspirations for the costumes — now I just need to get busy sewing and creating them!

Tracy says:

How about… The Three Musketeers?

Julia says:

I have tried to get them to choose a theme but they always pick something else. My son was nick-named Bam-Bam as a child, so he went as Bam-Bam when he was a year old but my daughter refused to be Pebbles. One year, daughter was Daphne from Scooby Doo, so we hoped our son would be Scooby, but he went as Buzz Lightyear instead. They are independent thinkers and there is no changing their mind once they decide. So I will start planting the ideas now!

Debbie Gisle says:

Zipper down was my favorite too! EVERY TIME we leave the house I have to check my 5 year olds pants, to which he usually replies “Oh, its fine, Mom. Leave it.”

Michelle says:

My 2 daughters, my friends 2 daughters and another friends daughter are doing Tutu Superheros. Each girl will be a classic superhero done with a tutu. Superman, Spiderman, Wonderwoman, Batman and Robin. I am making all the costumes myself based loosely on an idea from Etsy.

Leslie says:

I am glad I am not the only one thinking about Halloween. It is my daughter’s first one and I just can’t decide what to make her. I keep going back to the idea of a peacock. Who knows.

Chelsey says:

Just don’t forget about the car seat! Make the feathers detachable or soft or something so you can get in and out easily. (if you plan on going out that is)

My hubs and I have always wanted to dress up in nacho libre outfits with a mask and cape. But we’ve thought about teenage mutant ninja turtles. I really want to dress my one year old as little red riding hood and my son as the wolf but I have no idea how to make a wolf costum…so if you could kindly whip one up with a tutorial itd be appreciated :)

Lisa says:

We have four kids and like to do the themes too (we did Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, and my infant last year was the red and white mushroom!), but this year, my oldest daughter informed me she wants to be a peacock! So, I’m thinking birds this year…peacock and flamingo for the girls and bat and owl for the boys. I need to find a good sale on feathers!! Can’t wait to see what you come up with for your precious littles. :o)

Rachelle says:

My son is obsessed with Toy Story–like most kids. I’m not much of a seamstress–but luckily my Mom is–because I’m thinking of taking a Woody costume and a Buzz costume and sewing it together like Victor/Victoria style. It’s either going to be adorable or awful….

Nicole says:

My oldest (6) wants to be Rainbow Dash (My Little Pony) and the youngest loves Pinky Pie, so that would be cute, but there aren’t many MLP costumes to be had and the ones out there are awful. I’m trying to think of a way to DIY them, but it’s not easy!

Kim says:

You could do Brave and have the younger two be bears with one of them holding a matching bear stuffed animal :)

LaRae says:

I just finished up my kids costumes this morning! Well, everything was done except my sons mask which I finished this am. They are going as Little Red Riding hood and the Big Bad Wolf! :) I made my daughter a sweet little dress and red cape of course, and made my son a hooded fur vest and wolf mask. They are super excited and try to play in them as often as they can get away with it. He chases her around the house howling, lol. too funny!! I love traditional fairytales and keeping them alive. They didn’t even know what Little Red Riding Hood was until I suggested it for halloween costumes!!

I was thinking of doing the same costumes for
      My Kids! Did you find any good tutorials or have one you’d like to share with me?

• 54.1.1
        Emily says:

That’s awesome!! And good job being done super early! My daughter was Little Red Riding Hood last year. I sewed a fleece coat and added a big hood. She had a peasant dress underneath with No Big Dill’s Coastal Curtsy skirt sewn to the bottom of the dress.

Sarah Allred says:

I would have to go with the classics of The Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland. So much fun to do those before they get bigger and don’t want to play along… =)

Sharon M. says:

My little guy loves to dress up any day of the week. I smiled at the little ones stomach showing because we get alot of that around here. Just precious! My son would like to be The Lone Ranger. I found a light gray cowboy hat at the thrift store that was in great condition. Now I have to figure out the light blue costume. I also need to find some black cowboy boots. I’m looking forward to your little ones costumes this year. You have a great talent :o)

RubyDu says:

The best costume theme we’ve done so far was last year. My 3-year-old went as a shark (a costume I purchased) and dad went as a full-size surf board with a big shark bite taken out of it. If I could post the picture here I would.

I like to take characters from our favorite books. They tend to be a little less common and the kids love them.

Anina Duren says:

We have a six month old baby who is quite the big chub. He is in the 95th percentile for weight and 75th for height. Since our twins are still only two (and not too opinionated yet about costume choice) we are going for a Ghostbusters/ Stay Puft Marshmallow Man theme. Mom and Dad will also have shirts with the Ghostbusters logo on them.

Amy says:

My little guy is going as Mickey Mouse (we are going to use the costume again when we go to WDW in December) and I am thinking about sewing a Minnie Mouse dress. Not sure what I will do for my DH as he may be working Halloween night.

Kara says:

We LOVE doing family themes, and have been doing them since the hubs and I have been married (8 years) But as a family with kids we have done Star Wars, Willy Wonka characters (Little guy was an oompa loompa, hubby was Willy Wonka, and I was the blueberry girl (I was preggo), We also did Capt Hook, Tiger Lily, Tinkerbell, and Peter Pan, and one year we each went as super heros (super girl, spiderman, wolverine, and batwoman) We are trying to decide what to be this year, there will be one more of us (so 5 all together) we have thought of Harry Potter, Wizard of Oz, Noah’s Ark (hubby would be Noah, we’d each go as an animal and then have a stuffed animal velcroed to our sides to represent the 2 by 2), and Beauty and the Beast (hubby–gaston, 4yr old boy–beast, 2 1/2 yr old girl–belle, me and the baby Mrs. Potts and Chip. I need help with those costumes though!!!

Nysha Murray says:

Were nerds and doing “the office” So hubby will be Jim and i’ll be pam with our munchkin being dwight.

But one if I had your sewing skills would be minnions of despicable me :)

Kate Winsor says:

We are being superheroes (along with everyone I’m sure). My son will be spiderman or captain America, my hubby probably batman, and I have twin babies (boy/girl). I’m not sure what I’m being (maybe Wonder woman) but I like the girl robin idea. Maybe my twins can be batman/robin.

Kelly Boggs says:

I always dressed my daughter and son in themes..Tinkerbell and Captain Hook, Frankenstein and his bride, Bugs Bunny and the Tasmanian Devil, etc… Have fun they grow up fast. Mine are 26 and 24 now.

Kimberly says:

I just started making a Rapunzel dress for my 4-year-old, and I’m going yo use your Cinderella tutorial to make a dress for my 17-month old. I haven’t been able to find light blue crushed panne like you used (and I like the idea of it being a little stretchy).

If I had 2 girls and a boy like you or even just a girl and boy, I would do the Berenstain Bear family. We love those books at our house.

Jill says:

My sister-in-law bought some red sparkly shoes for my little girl on clearance last year, and it looks like they will fit this fall! Fortunately, both of my older boys loved the idea, so we will have Dorothy, the scarecrow, and the tin man from the Wizard of Oz!! I think it is the perfect costume theme, because there are so many memorable characters that it is easy to include any number of people. I usually make up my own design for costumes, but I don’t have enough first-trimester energy for that this year! I found a pattern for the boys on Etsy, and I will save my energy for figuring out a cute little Dorothy dress! And I can paint my face green and use my old stand-by witch costume.

Stacey says:

My older daughter wants to be an owl. I’m thinking this might work since it is so cold here at Halloween and I might be able to do cape line wings. But what to do for the 3 yr old. A tree? Another animal maybe?

Pam says:

Your children are soo adorable! I love that they play so well together like they do. It is so nice to see them acting out little
    plays! Isn’t it fun to sneak a peek at them when they are so busy? I used to hate getting “caught”! lol Thank you so much for sharing your family with all of us! It means a lot to me. You are truly Blessed. (((hugs)))

Laurel says:

My five year old daughter just came to me yesterday and told me that I should make pig costumes for the three youngest kids and a wolf costume for her. I said that I thought that was a great idea, but since we have 3 girls and one boy, maybe she should be a pig and her little brother could be the wolf. Everyone agreed to that, so now I’m getting excited about making my three little biggies and big bad little brother.

Nichole Ivie says:

My 7 year old came up with our theme for this year. We are doing Santa, Mrs. Clause, 4 little elf children and a Rudolph costume for our baby.

Josée says:

My soon to be 5 year-old little girl wants nothing but a Minnie dress… and I’m sure she’s going to wear it around the house until it won’t fit anymore… So I intended to dress my little boy as Mickey, so that would be a great theme…!!!
    Alice in Wonderland is nice too :-)

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST! And baby #3 can be inventor dad… or Mrs. Potts or the teacup… or Lumiere… or the wardrobe!! FUN!!!!!!!

Stella says:

Last year my daughter (3 years) wanted to be Phineas, so her baby sister was Perry, dad was Ferb and I was Candice. This year she says Santa and her sister an elf. I figure whoever pulls the wagon can put on antlers and a red nose.

Chance says:

I always joke that my house is like a 3-ring circus, so I thought it would be cute to have the 3 kids be a lion, a tiger, & a bear. I would be the ring master and my husband would be a clown. I’m not sure if I will pull it off this year…we may go an easier route, but one year I hope to make this theme happen.

KaMarlowete says:

Themes are little harder with ours because they’re 5 years apart, but these were the ideas we were pitching to the 7 year old (the 20 month old doesn’t care.)

Indiana Jones and monkey
    Diver and fish
    Harry Potter and Winky
    Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf

I’ve got dozens more.

Devann says:

This year is my daughter’s first Halloween and I really want her to be Rosie the Riveter, but I can’t think of a matching costume for my son. Last year he was Flea from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and the year before he was Gilligan (complete with coconut trick or treat bag and the S.S. Minnow wagon with a “hole” in the side). If I can’t have Rosie we will probably do a magician and his assistant or a bunny in a stroller hat.

KiwiRachel says:

I think they would look cute as buttons dressed as dragons!! From that really cute movie “How to train your Dragon”. I made some really cute dragon costumes for my girls when they were little out of polar fleece with velcro down the back and stuffed tails and wings. Not only were they snug as bugs – they were easy to wash and not itch or scratchy! They could be really cute colours or go more “goth” and have them in dark colours.

KiwiRachel says:

OMG – I put 4 x cutes in that last post! nutter…

• 77.1.1
        Jenn says:

Would you mind sharing with me how you made them? Or maybe pictures so I could come up with my own idea? My son Taggart is OBSESSED with How to Train Your Dragon, but I just couldn’t figure out an easy way to do it. We’ve already got costumes for this year, but I would love to surprise him next year! livingivie at hotmail dot com

Trish says:

So glad I’m not the only one planning Halloween!!! My 4 yr old girl wanted to be Hello Kitty, then Mulan, and is now stuck on Batgirl. Between work and my masters degree, Batgirl is the least time consuming to make. Black tank top with freezer paper stencil, black skirt/leggings, cape, and a mask. Not bad. I start drafting in September and sewing in October. Dad will have a Superman tee and I’ll get a Wonder Woman tee!

Mandy says:

I haven’t started planning for Halloween yet, but now I want to! Last year my son was a dragon and my husband was a knight from the book “The Knight and the Dragon”. I might stick to a book theme again this year, but have to think of something for my daughter now who is 6 months. Maybe Hansel and Gretel because we live in Germany and I can be the witch and decorate my husband up us a gingerbread house? That would be pretty funny.

Megan says:

I can’t wait to have kids!! I have always loved the Flintstones theme. (Fred, Wilma, Pebbles, Dino- or instead of Dino you could do Bam-Bam). Can’t wait to see what you design this year!! :)

Abbie says:

That dress is beautiful…I love the underskirts. I’ve done speed racer for my son, a custom jacket from a pattern I hacked. I’ve done tinker bell straight from the pattern and cinderella though made some mods. Added beading, tulle underskirts, and sparkled fabric.

This year, I wasn’t sure what I was going to be able sew, but the kids and I were talking the other day about just this topic. I was joking around when I thought it would be funny for the three of them to dress up as ice, water, and steam. The kids didn’t think that was very funny. :)

Gealean Murray says:

Hey- What about

Elli- A princess
    Connor- A Knight
    Baby Girl- A Dragon (you can even make her a pink one!)

I think that would suit all your little ones styles!

Jeanie_Beanie says:

My husband and I are going for a Zelda theme. I’m going to be Navi and he will be Link.

Jennie Hall says:

My daughter is being Rapunzel (disney’s version, Tangled) and her little brother is being Rapunzel’s chameleon sidekick, Pascal. So cute!

maria says:

My kids were Angry Birds last year. They looked so cute. I made them out of felt, almost like a big pillow that went over their heads. Many tutorials out there. They were very easy.

molly says:

My girls are going as Carebears:) My 3 year old loves carebears and my 1 year old loves anything soft! We were able to borrow one costume and found the other one on craigslist for $14! That’s a cheap enough halloween for me! Now, to make a carebear costume for my hubby to sport;) He said he’d wear it, if I made it! Haha!

Haley says:

When my son was 2 I bought him a cute little dragon costume. The day of he refused to wear it. Plan B ended being a rodeo clown, I just went and found striped girls tights, a plaid button down, and a bunch of colorful bandanas. I used a pair of shorts that were a little big tied the bandanas from his belt loops and used some straw string as suspenders. I also gave him a huge red mouth (like a clown) with lipstick. It was to die for, my favorite costume that he has ever worn. This year I am trying to convince him to be a minion from despicable me, we shall see.

Penelope says:

I have no idea as I’m in the middle of garden produce. But since you mention it, I think I should do a princess theme. I wonder if I could pull it off and dress everyone of my girls as a different princess (not sure there are enough in the disney line to cover us, but I could do others I suppose, like add princess and the pea, queen amidala?) Now you’ve got me thinking and I still have salsa and jam to make. LOL

Penelope says:

OK!!! Paper bag Princess too!!!! Woo hoo, I think I can cover all 10 of them.

• 88.1.1
        Penelope says:

All right! LOL You probably think I’m crazy but I think we got it! And I can go NOT standard Disney.
        Cinderella
        snow white
        sleeping beauty
        paper bag princess
        rapunzel
        princess and the pea
        beauty
        anastasia
        scheherazade
        the little mermaid

Any other ideas to help us out? Princess Leia? I do have an amidala costume…but I only have 3 brunettes and one of them is 1 year old.

Sharlee says:

How about Princess Leia and R2D2!!

Stacey says:

My kids and husband have already decided to dress up like characters from Minecraft – so I just have to save all my cardboard boxes. :) Happy to have no sewing this year! I made my son a costume of the prince from Katamari Damacy last year (can you tell we’re gamers?) … Yards and yards of green fleece, and making a giant tube of upholstery foam fit on his head – never again!!

Stefani says:

I never plan costumes, but now we have a 1 year old to take trick-or-treating, so the fun begins. :-)
    We’re on an X-files kick lately, so the plan is for my husband and I to go as Scully and Mulder and the baby girl to dress up as an alien. It’s still in the works, though!

Sheila C. says:

You seemed to enjoy the zoo from your previous posts. How about favorite zoo animals? Wouldn’t a koala or panda be adorable? Maybe a shark or a zebra? We did a chameleon on a ten dollar budget and two days notice. My daughter dressed in camouflage. We used a green visor for the face, felt for the nose, plastic half-globes on which we glued green tie-died paper for the eyes, and a green fuzzy boa with wire wrapped around it to make a curly tail. She won a $10 gift card for the creativity!

Devann says:

Uncle Sam is a great idea too! Maybe I’ll let him decide between the two (though with a Purple Heart Daddy I’ll bet I can guess what he’ll pick…)

Heather says:

Halloween planning starts early in our family! I have enlisted my Grandpa to help out with my son’s costume this year too. I love a good theme! My son will be a Ghostbuster (his Great Grandpa will be making the Proton pack) and my daughter, will be a ghost. I am toying with the idea of her being a specific ghost, Slimer, just not sure how I will incorporate the tutu ghost costume idea (from Pinterest) into Slimer…

Rosie says:

My 5 year old is set on Bat-girl. For a while my 3 year old wanted to do batman, but he has since cycled through Billy Blazes (from Rescue Heros), Spiderman, Iron Man, and back to Batman and Billy Blazes again. Needess to say, I think I’ll make my daughter’s costume first (planning to alter a Tinkerbell pattern), then consult my crystal ball to see what my son will want… :) Haven’t figured out what the baby will be yet…

Danielle says:

My kids are interested in the classics this year. All boys… The 6 year old wants to be a vampire, the 4 year old either Frankenstein or a werewolf and the two year old will just be along for the ride but he will love being some kind of monster. I think maybe a skeleton or a mummy may be in order…

Amanda Dunlap says:

My kids love Mickey and Minnie mouse. I’m trying to figure out a possible third outfit for the newest addition incase she comes early. Pluto maybe?

Katie G says:

Last year my 8-yr old was Smaug – the dragon from “The Hobbit”. I even made it breath fire with a flashlight and tissue paper! This year she wants to be Herminone- so I’m makeing a cape!

Kasia says:

I love your style!!!

Kristina Noall says:

Wow, there are a lot of good ideas here…mine are hard. I have two little boys, one 3 1/2 and one will be 7 months, and the older one isn’t into a lot of mainstream stuff like superheroes–we only do Netflix. He sort of likes Spiderman, but who would Baby Luke be? And Jamie really only likes Finding Nemo and Tangled from Disney. I think he’d love to be Flynn Rider, but again, Luke can’t exactly be Rapunzel…Then there’s Yo Gabba Gabba…good luck getting my husband to dress up like DJ Lance, lol…this is tough! Jamie is obsessed with Santa, so maybe I’ll make him Santa and Luke an elf? Or find some reindeer antlers…sorry, I’m totally brainstorming on your comments page, but it got my creative juices flowing and I didn’t want to stop! Lol.

Anyway, I seriously look forward to your Halloween costumes ALL YEAR. Can’t wait!

Amy says:

I plan on dressing my 2 year old twin boys as Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse, and my 8 month old daughter as Minnie Mouse. I plan on making the costumes. If you have any suggestions I’d love to here them.

Laura says:

My older daughter loves Isabella from Phineas and Ferb. We’re going to go all out together with my husband in Phineas, daughter as Isabella, me probably Ferb and the younger daughter as Candace. We’re pretty excited since we love the show!

Holly Llewellyn says:

My boys are requesting to be the AquaBats (if you don’t know them…google them, they are a Ska Band my husband listens too…pretty fun group of guys) I might have us all be Aquabats…including lil’miss

Jennifer says:

When my kids were younger, my daughter was a tooth fairy and my son was a tooth.
    maybe for a 3rd costume in a this theme someone could be a toothbrush or floss?

I’ve seen a kid go as spaghetti. she had a wig made of mop string, an upturned colander, a red shirt and pants with brown styrofoam balls glued to it. maybe someone could be an italian waiter, someone could be spaghettie and someone could be a jar of parmesan cheese.

When my daughter was 3 she was a bubble bath. She dressed in pink. We pinned small, white balloons all over to be the bubbles. we painted a box white with water splashing over the sides and glued a rubber duck the the tub. She also wore a shower cap. maybe some could be the rubber duck and someone else could be a bar of soap?

My 5 and 4yr old girls want to be Strawberry Shortcake and Lemon Meringue. I also have a 2 yr old girl and 6mo old boy to figure out as well as costumes for my husband and I for a Halloween party we attend every year. I better get started now or I will be going nuts like I always do. Last year we used your princess dress tutorial and did a Cinderella and Kind of Sleeping beauty (it was pink)
    I need a theme for my husband the baby and I… any ideas? needs to be modest.

Last year at the party we had a cast away couple.. the guy was Tom hanks and the girls was Wilson complete with a volleyball cut out in her head and a hand painted over her face. it was awesome!

Shayla says:

I would just carry on the Strawberry Shortcake theme to the rest of the family! Your hubby as the Peculiar Purple Pieman, your baby as Huckleberry Pie, your toddler as Apple Dumplin, and you could be Blueberry Muffin. :)

Oh and Ashley.. your kids could be the Peanuts gang. pick 3! Lucy, Charlie and the birdie :-) etc.

Lynn Kellan says:

I suspect I’m going to be surrounded by characters from The Hunger Games at Halloween this year… :)

Beth says:

Angry Birds would be adorable. The two older kids can be the red and yellow birds, and the baby can be the green pig. Think of the photo op!

Julie L says:

I have a 7 year old daughter, and 3 boys: 5 yrs, 3yrs and 1 year. My 5 year old wants to be batman, so we already figured out that the other two boys will be spiderman and superman and my daughter wants to be catwoman, although I think wonderwoman would be better, but she likes the “cat” idea better. Guess I’ll have lots of sewing to do. I know these costumes will get lots of playtime use as well.

Vicki says:

My granddaughter wants to be Medusa. Grandson hasn’t decided. We never do themes as they will never agree. They are 9 & 10.

louise says:

Love this! I made my son a fireman costume 2 years ago. I made it big becuase I knew he’d wear it for a long time and firemans suits are big. But I made the arms to fit him then. So they are way to short now… But he still wears it all the time! It’s too funny. I soooo need to lengthen the arms!

Beth says:

No kids, but I have a Halloween party to go to and my idea for this year is doubling for handing out candy at my parents’. I have to wear a brimmed hat practically everywhere (disability stuff), severely limiting my costume options, at least creative ones. Year before last, I was a crayon, with a sheet wrapped around me, a similarly colored towel fashioned into a cone atop one of my hats, and black electrical tape on the side of the sheet, saying “Crayon” and the color.
    Last year, I was a “firehouse dog”. I dressed up as a dalmation and donned a costume fireman’s hat that I made a special “fire dog” shield for. Also did my walker up as a fire engine.
    This year, I’m going to be the Easter Bunny–who evidently gets holidays confused. I even got a bunch of Easter eggs earlier this year and will hand those out at the door with candy inside. I’ve yet to figure out how to attach ears to the hat.

Avin says:

Last year I had a flamingo, cutest ever! This year she wants to be a red butterfly, so her baby sister will be a caterpillar

Kimberly says:

We are going to try a Peter Pan theme! Our 7 month old son as Peter Pan, our 3 year old daughter as Wendy (as requested by her), my husband will be Captain Hook and I am going as Tinker Bell (if I can find an appropriate costume)! Our daughter loves Peter Pan and is anxiously awaiting for her costume! She is trying to talk some of our older friends (age 12 and 8) to dress up in our theme too. We’ll see what they think! I do not sew, but I’m going to try to make it very simple and try my luck. I already have some ideas going!

Punk Rebel Mama says:

Earlier this year my daughter wanted to be Jareth the Goblin king from Labyrinth. (David Bowie). But now she wants to be someone from Lord of the Rings. Arwen and the hobbits would be cute! And you and hubby could go as Gandalf and Gladriel.

I love dressing up as characters from literature!

Since we have a costume company, I have TONS of stuff available to me. If anyone has trouble finding accessories or pieces to make their outfits work, let me know. email me at cheryl@cheri[email protected]

Becca says:

I also have 3 kids and I would love to somehow figure out how to do a Red Ridding Hood theme :)
    I have 2 girls and 1 boy.

Kyndra says:

My 3 year old daughter wants to be Peter Pan. Not Tinkerbell or Tiger Lilly, she shoots me right down when I suggest that, she wants to be Peter Pan! Anyone have ideas how I can make a Peter Pan costume a little more girly?

Lisa says:

We are going as Mario and Princess Peach and our little 18m girl will be toad(ette). I make our costume semi-homemade, thrifting for overalls and a pink prom dress and making a sparkly pink toad hat and skirt. I think a great idea for your family would be Wizard of Oz. one girl could be Dorthy the other Glenda and your son would have a few options Tin Man, Scarecrow, Lion, The wizard…I suppose one of your girl could be the Witch too but they seem like girly girls.

Rene says:

Too cute! I’m 15, and I’m dressing up as Jasmine. I couldn’t find a costume that I liked that I didn’t think was cheap looking for under $200! I decided to make one with my grandma and it turned out really cute. I already have long dark hair so all I had to do it buy some cheap ($3 & 6) extensions at Sally’s. I cannot wait until Halloween!! I do wish that my two 11 year old brothers would be Aladdin & Abu… that would be cute! But they are ‘too cool for Disney’ right now. LOL.

Jenna says:

Last year, we just had 2 boys so we had a knight and dragon. This year we had a baby girl and I really wanted her to be candy corn and my oldest wants to be batman so I got him to compromise and just be a bat, and my other boy is going to be a spider so we are going with a “Halloween” theme this year. Next year, I will probably have a band of pirates or maybe a pirate, alligator and mermaid-a theme I’ve been dying to do (even before I knew I was having a girl!)

Sarah says:

I didn’t read through all of them, so someone might have already mentioned this, but our family went as The Incredibles (Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl, Violet, Dash and Jack-Jack) for 2 years in a row (because it was SUCH a hit the first time – we won the costume contest everywhere we went and got so many comments!) – and then moved across the country and just decided to do it again. SO much fun and you have the perfect arrangement of children (my baby girl didn’t mind being Jack-Jack!) :)

Suzannah says:

I am thinking of doing the Lorax. I haven’t seen very many good ones yet. But we’ll do my husband as the onceler, I’ll be the mom, my daughter as Audrey, my boys as the lorax, ted or a bear. I can’t decide which 2 I want to do. But I would love to see your take on the lorax for sure!

Nicole says:

okay, we are going to be Capitol people (like from the hunger games) this year! how cool, right?! I would love to see what your creative mind can do with it!

Shawn "the girl" says:

I have a very strong-willed 3 year old who just got into princesses and Tinkerbell… I would like to go for a warmer outfit, but she’d fight me less if it was Tink, so thinking on how to make that happen without her looking like I pulled a costume over a shirt.

I made a joke about making her an Assasin’s Creed costume with a white-hoodie base, and the step-kids (teenagers) LOVE it, but I don’t think the little one will get it. The older kids still want to go out, so we gotta talk on that one- last year the eldest went as a necromancer and the younger as his zombie ninja minion- so easy!

Maybe something more traditional Halloween? Witches, ghosts, zombies, werewolves? Might even be able to cute it up for the young crowd

Joy says:

Our church does a trunk or treat each year and so our family tires to dress in a theme to match how we decorate our car. One year we were all Star Wars themed; last year My bubby was Mickey, I was Minnie and our almost 3-year old was Mini-Minnie. Our Car was decorated to look like Pluto with a giant paper mache dog bowl & bone.

This year we are decorating the car to be a fild of pumpkins like the “it’s the great pumpkin charlie brown” We have a bright yellow Xterra that we plan to add a zigzag stripe to. My hubby will be Charlie in his hole-y ghost sheet (that one is easy) I will be snoopy, and our almost 4-year old will be woodstock – now I’m just trying to figure out how to make our costumes without spending a lot. Is there a way to turn a milk jug into a snout??? Maybe…

Lauren says:

Dress up from the 1950s.

Twirl-able poodle skirts for the girls scarfs
    Leather jacket for your boy, sunglasses
    Maybe some DIY black and white painted shoes

Simple, cute and not your average costume on the block.

Jodie says:

I LOVE Halloween. My kids are 8, 5 and 2.5. Our whole family has been doing a themed Halloween-thing for a few years now. We’ve done the Wizard of Oz, Scooby Doo and last year was Monster Mash–classic Halloween characters including Frankenstein, Dracula, a Mummy, a Witch and the Bride of Frankenstein.

And since it’s been said that imitation is the best form of flattery I am excited to report that this year, with the help of your fabulous instructions, the kids are doing Mary Poppins and my husband and I will be Chimney Sweeps. Other ideas we had considered (and are keeping in the hopper for future years) Alice in Wonderland, Mario Party characters, Super Heroes–AKA the Justice League.

Shayla says:

My neighbor’s little girl is going to be a Southern Belle. We’ve been discussing ways to make a hoop skirt, so I would love to see your take on that!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] stash any sort of sewing notion, it gets me thinking about what I can make next.  (Remember that Halloween post a few weeks ago, where I was trying to think of ideas for Halloween?  Yeah, so many of you chimed [...]

2. [...] to digest that idea.  So, when this book theme was suggested by some of you in the comments from this post, I laughed because it was right at the top of my tentative list.  (Okay, it was the only idea, [...]