STILL HERE……just soaking up the end of summer break

Yep.  Still here.

We have just been enjoying the last bit of summer before Elli starts kindergarten.  We’re not sure how well we’re going to adjust being tied down to something and not be able to flit around anytime we want to.  Weird.  But, until then, we thoroughly enjoyed a little visit from some dear old friends last week, who we haven’t seen in years.  (When are you coming back Joneses?)  So we tried to pack in every little thing we could during their few day visit from Washington.

And of course had to spend an afternoon right outside in the backyard.  Connor was the bully, shooting streams of water at the Fraidy-Cat girls (Elli and Abby)!  He took his water bullying job very seriously!

Then, onto the Slip ‘n Slide.  Connor doesn’t quite get the idea of sliding on his belly the full length of the slide.  Instead, he runs the whole length of the slide and then collapses to his knees, splashing into the puddle at the end.  Ah well.  One day.

Elli and Brooke loved the slip ‘n slide just as much (Abby hated it!)…….but Brooke was the only one who actually braved the belly-sliding technique.  That girl isn’t afraid of a thing. :)

And then, of course, we spent the next day at the zoo. (Yeah, the sun was really bright!)

We can’t help but take our visitors here.  It’s not a huge zoo but it’s so darn charming.  And clean.  And those sweet giraffe’s…….they love slurping up large lettuce leaves from all the rambunctious children all day.  Hey, easy food.

Another favorite?  Those big ol’ hippos.  I was pretty jealous of the way they spent their day.

These sweet little kids.  It was fun to see them play together again (after 2 1/2 years apart).  And laugh and play and climb while at the zoo.

The biggest laugh of the day?  Watching this crazy gorilla wrap a pair of ripped up jeans around his neck, like the perfect scarf.  And if that scarf slipped off, he slung it right back in place…..and wrapped it securely around his neck.  The kids laughed and laughed as they watched him strut around while showing off his little fashion accessory!

We also did a little site seeing, a little face painting, and a little shopping.  But of course, I forgot the darn camera for those things.  Grrr.  I should strap that thing to my back somehow. ;)

After our long days filled with fun, we usually let the kiddos pull all the sleeping bags/blankets together……..and watch a show together.  (While Brittany and I added another hour or two of chatting/gabbing/laughing to our friendship!

Sweet little tired bodies.  We sure know how to wear you all out!

We love you Joneses!  Come back.  Again and again. :)

***I’ll be back to normal this week.  I have a few new things to share! :)

-Ashley

Comments

13 Responses to “STILL HERE……just soaking up the end of summer break”
    Phuongsea says:

Love!!

Sarah says:

My little girl starts Kindergarten too!! NEXT week! Ahhh!!! I’m excited for her (she desperately needs it) but I’m sad for me. Yes and the carefree- do what we want- lifestyle is over!!! I’m in mourning! haha

Jennifer says:

Beautiful shots! I love the group shot! It looks like you had a wonderful day. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Mel says:

Oh your photos have me longing for Summer!

sÉCO says:

I want to pet the giraffes too.
    Your kids are so sweet and they are obviously having a blast!

ira lee henson says:

i think its great that you go to the zoo! it does look like a great place to venture out!

Jamie from Minnesota says:

Oh my goodness! You can feed and pet the giraffes? That is awesome! I wish we could pet and feed the giraffes here. Which zoo was this? I may need to convince the hubby that next years vacation needs to include this one! :-)

Claire says:

Ha! We always bring houseguests to the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha. We live in Lincoln, (Nebraska) about an hour and a half away. What’s even better is that it was recently voted #1 zoo in the country. My cousin brought her two babies, and they LOVED looking at everything. Anyways, your pictures are so beautiful, as are the kids. That looks like a really nice zoo! I’d love to visit it!

have u been watching the olymipics, lately, usa are at the top of the table!

We take all our guests there also! ;) Did you see the newborn giraffe?

Claire says:

If you were replying to my comment, then yes, we went on the skyfari and saw it (sooo fun!) We also saw what we think were some ostrich eggs and a kid’s shoe. Did you know that the giraffe was a twin, and the other one didn’t make it? :(

Danette Mahana says:

Seriously Jealous here!!!! It couldn’t have been nearly as fun without me……right?

shawna mccarthy says:

IN LOVE with the Luxurious Damask Puff Quilts so much!!! love the colors, the fabric and the texture. just would out im expecting and is due in may with my first child :) would LOVE to have this in the baby’s room! the teal and black is what i was going for with the theme! also im following heidi and ashleys blogs now!