Our 4th of July plans changed…

Well, I just couldn’t stomach not seeing fireworks on the 4th this year.  I completely understand why many cities/towns here in Colorado went without this year.  And my heart goes out to those who have lost homes, property, and even loved ones recently.  And wow, all of the firefighters, forest rangers, and city officials who have spent many hours trying to contain fires all over our state (and many surrounding states) are truly courageous.  And selfless.  And I thank you.

However, just because our town wasn’t having fireworks, didn’t mean I wasn’t going to go and find a town with a safe display of fireworks. ;)  So I left my husband all to his “on-call” lonesome self and packed up my little monkeys…..and within about 24 hours, headed to grandma/grandpa’s house.  (You may be thinking to yourself, “why wasn’t that the original plan?”  Well, because my husband was on-call this week, we decided to stick around and enjoy the 4th of July celebrations here in our town.  However, all firework displays were recently canceled.  Bummer.  So he booted us out of the house to find somewhere to celebrate.  Don’t worry, he kept busy!)

I’m not sure what it is about this holiday but watching a 4th of July parade really gets me.  I love seeing a whole group of people, gathered together to celebrate one thing we all have in common; our country.  Maybe I’m getting old and way too sentimental about things…..but watching this parade made my eyes a little drippy.  (And no, I’m NOT pregnant.  Because my sister asked that too! ;) )

Everyone was happy at the parade.  Everyone clapped.  And everyone cheered.

We even caught a fresh cinnamon roll from one of the parade participants.  So my kids considered this a REALLY good parade!

By the time evening rolled around, the excitement for fireworks was everywhere.  And we thoroughly enjoyed them.  By 11 p.m., we collapsed into bed, completely exhausted.  But very happy.

It was well worth the trip.  And change of last-minute plans.

Hope your Independence Day was beautiful.  And hope you found a parade, some fireworks, or some sort of celebration to enjoy.  (Unless you’re not from the U.S.  But I still hope you had a great week! ;) )

-Ashley

Comments

14 Responses to “Our 4th of July plans changed…”
    fitri says:

We didn’t see firework this year, St.Louis is too dry now.. we reach 106 F for almost aweek. But I love to see your pictures here.. so pretty.. and your lil’ones are so cute.. seem they are well behave during parade :)) – by the way, what lens you use to take every pictures ? its so bright.. and lovely..

Joelle says:

Glad you got to see some fireworks! We planned to, but ended up in the ER instead with my little guy getting stitches in his chin after falling (while running around at a fireworks stand, lol). Lucky for us, the next town over is having their big display tonight (Friday), so we’ll get to see some big ones there!

I didn’t know you lived in CO. I have been trying to find some CO bloggers to get together with, since I have recently moved here from Chicago. We had a great fireworks show in Broomfield, which is where I live. Where did you see the fireworks.

Oh…and great picture of the fireworks. Every picture that I took just looks like tiny dots in the sky.

Jessica says:

Don’t worry, when my hubs and I were watching the fireworks around our valley {in UT} from our backyard I suddenly wanted to start bawling. What’s wrong with us womenfolk?! Geez. Crazy. :)

I absolutely love your blog to itty-bitty pieces. Keep up the great work! I always get super excited when I see a new post from you!

Sak says:

I’m glad that you guys were able to uphold the tradition of seeing fireworks. We can understand your dilemma down here in Tucson, AZ after the fires we had last year.

Love how your littlest one is in the background with such an incredulous look on her face as if to say: “That’s my family? Really???”

Laura says:

I just want to say I love the pics of you with your kids! You are rarely in any pictures and I think they are super cute and loved seeing them!

Emily says:

Love your pictures! And now I’m craving a cinnamon roll. :)

sepideh says:

Nice to see the photos of you with your lovely family.
    Wish you the best
    I check out your website frequently , and learn alot from you

Julie Snow says:

We went to Civic Center Park in Denver for our fireworks show on the 3rd. The Colorado Symphony Orchestra played and we got to listen for free! It was superb! They do it every year – but yeah I know it was one of the only ones in the city that had fireworks…I am jealous you got to go to a parade (you can email me – I want to know which one!) There does not seem to be a lot of those anymore. Thanks for sharing!

Oklahoma Mom says:

I’m glad you had fun on the 4th we also did fire works but didn’t go watch any. You did really good with pictures also.

kara says:

adorable photos! beautiful kids! you guys look like you had a great holiday :)

Great Pictures.You are great Photographer, Thanks for Share this. Very Nice content, Always.
    you have a lovely family

Megan W. says:

Oh! Your pictures are gorgeous! And I just wanted to let you know that I am 100% not pregnant and I totally get all teary-eyed whenever I sing the Star Spangled Banner or other patriotic songs. Even teaching my son about our country for the first time this year got me all teary-eyed, and you’d better believe that I think of your mom every time I sing “My Country ‘Tis of Thee”! We took our kiddos to their first fireworks and parade this year, and wow I wouldn’t change that for anything. Definitely a new family tradition!

Kristina Noall says:

That parade looked so fun! I feel ya, I was totally trying to be inconspicuous about my crying last Sunday when we sang the patriotic songs in church :) Your poor hubby. But I’m so glad you guys had somewhere to go! The 4th is just not the 4th without fireworks! I love the pics, too.