Wanna get healthy? Blog about it. (my very last NEW YEAR NEW YOU campaign post)

Be sure to check out my very last review and giveaway from Best Buy, the Epione Beauty Brush.  This little gadget is a cordless facial/body brush that gently scrubs away makeup and other impurities. It also “massages the skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.”  Not bad in my book!

. . . . .

The end has come.  This “New Year New You” (Inspiration to Fitness) campaign I have been involved with, wasn’t going to last forever.

I know these Health & Fitness Posts have been a little different from the normal crafting posts, but I really needed a little kick in the pants this year.  Some of you enjoyed them right along with me (thanks for hip-hooraying me right along!) and then I’m sure some of you were wondering when in the world I’d finally get a grip on my health and hurry and finish with this dang campaign.  And get back to only crafting.  Haha!  Sorry for the different variety of posts but I kept making (and loving!) things at the same pace.  There were just some health related posts stuck in the middle.  When I was asked to participate in this campaign, I couldn’t pass it up.  I needed it.   So thanks for hanging in there while I blogged a bit about me and my health.  I feel better.  And rejuvenated.  And more inspired.  Which, is good and bad for this ‘ol blog.  Because I have a whole new pile of ideas that I want to try but can’t find enough hours in my short little day to do them all.  Ugggh.

I’ve gotta tell you something though……being accountable for my health decisions was sucky.  But dang it, it was kinda nice.  I can’t tell you how many times I grabbed my running shoes because I knew I would have to write about it.  And seriously, you should have seen how many times I passed up the Cadbury Mini Eggs (which have been out since January. why?!?) on several occasions because I was participating in this campaign.  And, oh come on, who does the plank position for fun?  That kicks my butt every time.  But I needed to conquer that plank and keep testing out new muscles because, you know, it’s good for me……….and Alysa told me to!

So this campaign got me back on track.  And put me back into a routine that had been missing for months.  Okay, over a year.

Let me tell you about my expectations for this campaign:

• I was hoping to go from ’0′ to ’100′ and make complete changes in my habits and attitude towards exercise.  I wanted exercise to beckon me as much as chocolate covered cinnamon bears do.  Reality?  I started out strong but now only exercise a few times a week.  Usually 2.  And I have to make myself.  Remember when I was going to work out 6 days a week?  Ha!  But really, I needed this motivator to get me going and shape up my body again.  It’s just that first getting-back-into-shape hurdle that’s hard.  Now it’s easier to add in a quick 20 minute video here or there, without feeling like a train wreck.
  • I wanted to follow a strict diet.  And never cheat.  Reality?  Trying to tell the-world’s-biggest-fan-of-all-things-sugary that’s she’s not going to have one little smidgen of sugar for 7 weeks, is ridiculous.  I did cheat.  Plenty of times.  But I decided that I wasn’t cheating.  And that cutting something out of my diet is just begging for failure.  So I just have a little bit instead.  And oh how I enjoy every minute of it!  (Oh, and I limit the extra snacks to Saturday nights.  It helps to cut things down and gives me something to look forward to.)
  • I wanted to lose lots and lots of pounds in 7 weeks.  Hey, if they can do it on the Biggest Loser, so can I.  Reality?  The contestants on the Biggest Loser don’t have real life to deal with.  And they have really intense trainers.  I did lose about 13 pounds (hooray!!) but nope, still don’t fit in those newlywed clothes.  Ha.  But I really do feel fantastic!  (Oh, and please remember that I’m 5’11″ so losing 13 pounds is like someone who is 5’3″ losing 5 pounds.  No joke. ;) )

So, yes, making good habits is hard.  But living unhealthy drags me down.  And stifles me.  So, I’m okay with not being perfect……and any progress is progress.

I’m telling you, the best way to get healthy or lose weight, or break any sort of old habit though…….is to be accountable.  For me, it was blogging about it.  I had the hardest time kicking old habits in 2011.  There was a pregnancy (chocolate shakes), a delivery (cookies and pastries), a move across country (no time for working out), a brand new baby (lots of jelly beans), a busy husband in grad school (more chocolate, even less time for working out), etc.  I kept telling myself that once things “settled down”, I’d make some better habits.  Well, I’ve finally admitted, that life never really settles down.  And that’s okay.  But if I want to live a happy one, I need to take care of this ‘ol body. So joining in on this campaign and then knowing that I had to “report” EVERY. SINGLE. DANG. WEEK. was so good for me.

And now I’m in a groove.  Not a perfect one…….but a groove.  And feeling pretty good.

How about you?  How are your health goals?  Need a re-boot?  Blog (or talk) about it.  It works wonders.

. . . . .

Disclaimer:  I realize I have listed 8-10 unhealthy snacks in a post about getting healthy.  However, I am not liable for any crazy runs to the store to satisfy a craving of one of the above mentioned treats.  Totally not my fault. :)

Filed under Featured, Health and Fitness

Comments

26 Responses to “Wanna get healthy? Blog about it. (my very last NEW YEAR NEW YOU campaign post)”
    Charley says:

Firstly, mega well done on losing 13lbs!!
    I’m 5’4″ and could really do with shifting those lbs … we have this thing called ‘hashing’ here in England – start at a pub, do a long run, and end at the pub. I’ve resisted my husband’s constant harassment about going for sooo long now but I finally gave in and am going on thursday. Maybe it’ll give me the kick up the butt that I need to start cracking on with the weight loss. I can dream cant i?!
    Ps HOW did you resist the mini-eggs? Lol …

Lynette says:

Yay for you for losing 13 lbs! But even a bigger yay for you that you’re feeling better. That’s really what counts, and as you keep going, you will lose more gradually. I’m 7 months pregnant, and walking 2-4 times a week, and love how I feel when I actually do it! My body does crave exercise sometimes, but I still love my chocolate more! :)

Tiffany says:

(get ready for a ramble :))

Lol – yea now we are all thinking about chocolate – that is for sure. Good thing I have a brownie for my afternoon snack at work ;-)

I think it is fantastic that you were able to get healthier, even if you didn’t hit all your goals. Trying something new is like jumping in both feet first and then doggy paddling your way back to safer waters – nothing wrong with starting big and skimming it down later on – atleast you stayed in the pool :).

I’m 5’11 too and lost 15lbs last year but missed my goal by another 5lbs to my goal weight. I was doing great last year and then kept getting injured trying to train for a half marathon. Then between work, physical therapy, family life, church, school, life in general it has been REALLY hard to keep up that momentum.
    You are right – no matter what your situation, life never “calms down” and hitting those goals will NEVER be EASY. If it ever does get easy, you need bigger goals ;-)

What helps me the most is the fact that I can work out on my lunch break at work. I get a good 30 min of cardio and 10 min of stretching (pre-and post- workout) in 4 days a week – no major effort because I am already here and hate sitting at my desk so I am ready to get up and go to the gym by lunchtime. I also try to get to our fancy expensive gym 3x’s a week to take a class or do a more intense workout, and the fact that the gym is so darn expensive keeps us going – which is why we joined for the first 4 months this year (that and I needed it for physical therapy).

Find something that keeps you accountable – gym membership, workout group, blogging, a online group like dailymile or spark people, spouse, family, friends – whatever gives you an opportunity to check in, report success and frustration, and just keep going. No matter what happens, no matter how much your goals change, just keep going and you will be 1 step closer to your goals, even if it doesn’t happen as fast as you’d like.

Lori says:

Congrats for starting strong in 2012! I recently stared a blog (http://123worksforme.blogspot.com/) and I’ve dedicated Mondays to exercising and eating healthy. It really does help to blog about getting motivated, staying motivated, and finding others in your same boat. In the past I never liked working out especially running, but this past year I have learned to actually like feeling fit and healthy. I ran my fastest 3 miles this morning and feel fantastic!

Aleta LeBlanc says:

I don’t think anyone minded reading about your journey to the new you!! You mix just the right amount of inspiration with humor. I gotta say after these last few weeks I think your a pretty funny lady. Love the disclaimer :)

Alida says:

I have been blogging about my weight since I saw the photos from thanksgiving. Sometimes you need to step on the scale to give you a kick in the butt, and sometimes you need to have someone else take a family photo of you in which you still look 6 months pregnant even though the baby is nearly 1!

I feel like you and I are kind of going through the same thing with a pregnancy, new baby and hubby in grad school (mine is in med school, but close enough.) Nothing is settling down here either! But that’s ok. I’ve lost 9 lbs, and would like to lose 20 more before the year is out!

CM says:

I love the fitness posts added in!
    I’m in a place now where I’m working out more than I ever have and trying to expand my crafty side. Thank you for mixing the two together.

Congratulations on finding your groove! That’s what this is all about. Proud of you and your accomplishments. I am sure you inspired many others to find their groove as well. Way to go!

Holly Harrison says:

5’4 and currently down 13 lbs as of today! That is 4 weeks of dieting and 4 months of working out. Wow it is a slow process but It has been worth it so far. Funny thing is I’m still in the same size pants. Shirts are to big but pants fit just fine and I can wear my wedding rings again! Yay! So Happy for weight loss and keep up the post as it helps those of us that are doing the same stay motivated! :)

Emily says:

Good work! I’ve been working out for three weeks and gained three pounds in one day. Boy was that disappointing! I have since not lost any weight but I can see more muscle tone and I feel better, so I guess that’s good. I’ve been trying to eat better but I’m not ready to completely give up sugar. :)

Courtney says:

Awesome job! I have been trying to work out as well. I told myself my goal is to not lose weight, but get in shape. If weight comes off, then it’s an extra bonus. I’m going to a wedding in April, so I have something to work forward to. So far I’m down 3 pounds and I feel like my energy level is slowly increasing. I take weekends off so I don’t go crazy.

Oh, and I have to admit that I was eating a small pile Cadbury Mini Eggs when I read your post. They are my absolute weakness!

CoDele says:

After 10 years of night shifts and having 6 babies over the last 17 years, I cut back on work and went at it full force. I started Zumba with a local instructor and have lost 35 pounds since August. I still have one at home that I take with me and he plays with his little friends while I kick it on the dance floor. I’ve NEVER had so much fun working out. The weight loss was an added bonus but getting healthy and having fun with friends is priceless. I am stronger than I’ve ever been, even when I was on drill team in high school. Zumba has changed my life and my husband praises it for bringing joy to this little 5 ft 2 in girl. I used to run but now I dance and I’m injury free. Woo Hoo! Good luck on your journey.

Kim says:

I too am blogging about the weight loss! I have lost 44 lbs since giving birth to my daughter in October. I only gained 19 with her so it felt GREAT to see the number I am now seeing on the scale. I want to lose another 40 to reach the weight I was before I got married so blogging about it helps me! Congrats on your weight loss!

Congratulations on your weight loss! Thirteen pounds is thirteen pounds, and by taking it off slowly, you will hopefully not regain much of it when you stop dieting. You are motivating to others–makes me feel guilty for not getting out and walking more. Your loss may be my gain! ;)

Amanda says:

Great timing. Your posts helped inspire me to get a new pair of running shoes and challenge myself to get fitness back to a top priority now that baby #2 is 5 months. I have been reminding myself of that comment “your body remembers” and although I have been struggling with hip strength and stability issues during and after the pregnancy, I have been able to walk with full strides and even run for up to 5minutes at a time. It’s time to update my monthly goals! Thank you and congratulations on 13 lb loss-awesome!

Jane says:

Congrats on the weight loss. I agree. Even though I just started my blog, http://sagacioussouls.blogspot.com/ I have a page that I have kept track of what I eat. Even though no one is reading my blog yet, it still keeps me accountable. I’m a sweet addict as well. Good luck.

Im a 65+ seniorLady (hahaha). 40# overweight. Might as well put it out there ah!! I will try real hard, especially exercise!! I have (O.A) knees etc. I can walk but! slower etc. 39 yr. old son YES-lost 108# or more. NO SODIUM etc. 13# Fantastic I say. Slow loss but steady is better. Thanks for listening. GO GIRL !!!!

Having really great healthy habbits are very hard, but it’s so worth it in the end! You just have to understand that you will always fall, but if you keep getting up and trying harder it will pay off in the end.

First off, how awesome that you are 5’11! I’m 5’9 and always like hanging out with tall girls. Congrats on your work, and thanks for sharing your journey! They say that some people are moderators (meaning you can handle a little chocolate) and some people just have to cut it all out (that’s me. Can’t just eat a little of something). Accountability is a great principle for any goal, not just working out. I have found that since I started posting meal plans on Mondays last fall, knowing that people expect them from me helps me follow through. I had a friend talk to me last Tuesday and say, “Hey, where’s your meal plan? I looked for it on your blog and it wasn’t there!” What a kick in the pants!

Lisa says:

I hope that you continue to post some fitness things! I have really found them motivational and fun. Your winter run has encouraged me to sign up for a 5k next month. Thanks so much for sharing!

Sarah says:

I’ve really enjoyed your “healthy” posts!
    I made a big change last July. Since then I’ve lost 50 pounds. (10 since the new year)
    It’s nice to know I’m not the only one out there!!
    While I did enjoy the healthy posts, I look forward to more inspiring crafts too!

Jessica says:

Those Cadbury Mini Eggs get me every year!!! But I agree with you that it definitely takes time to get into a routine of fitness – and then it just becomes another thing that you just do in normal life. And it really does make you feel GREAT. Keep it up, girl!!

Crafts and running, i.e. healthy lifestyle are two things that make life more enjoyable. So, let’s just say it’s all related and goes one with another.

I just completed 3 solid weeks of no sugar/no carbs and have 3 to go.. .not one cheat (even through hearts day). I have lost pounds and inches and that is major motivation! Now to maintain…5″11 wow, that’s tall!

je rencontre des soucis pour lire les images… J’attend avec impatience la suite. A bientôt.