How the ‘ol Health Plan is going…

Be sure to check out my review of the Personal Microdermabrasion Device.  This tool is pretty cool to have so that you can exfoliate, rejuvenate, and brighten up that face (and other areas) of yours, on your own. So cool!

. . . . .

Here’s what’s going on with me and my New Year, New Me plan lately.

My Goal:  To fill up several water bottles and place them in several different rooms.  And then sip on them all day long.

Reality:  I usually only make it through part of one.

My Goal:  Snack on items such as these.

Reality:  Sneak a few of these from the freezer as I walk by.  Num-num.  (Why do we put “off limit” food in the freezer?  Like we’re really not going to eat it.  Ha.)

My Goal: Put these on 5-6 days a week.  Oh, and use them.

Reality:  I wear the above shoes about 3-4 times a week but thoroughly enjoy wearing these just as often, if not more.

Haha.  I know, I have some work to do.

However…….I really don’t feel like I have to be perfect.  I am doing way better than I was in December.  Actually, I’m doing better than I was all of 2011.  So that is something to be happy about.  I have been known to say, “Ooops, I messed up and ate too many calories this morning.  I guess the whole day is ruined.”  (I know I’m not alone…….as humans, we’re cruel to ourselves at times.)  But I’m getting so much better at not doing that.  Most days that I mess up or am not absolutely perfect (since the beginning of 2012), I just kinda go with it.  And it’s been so freeing.  I definitely feel less pressure from myself now that I have eased up on the “All or Nothing” mentality.   Whew.  This fresh start has been just what I needed this year.

I also used to feel like if I wasn’t sweating and pounding the pavement, I wasn’t doing any good.  But I have been following Alysa’s expertise and have been doing more strength training and more flexibility training, along with the aerobics.  And if that’s all I fit in one day, that’s all I fit in.  And then I congratulate myself.  And it has felt good.

Just this last week, Alysa assigned Flexibility Training as the homework to focus on.  I have done the full rotation of flexibility exercises 2 times since last week and plan to keep it going.  It’s funny how even simple movements and stretches make your body feel even a tiny bit stronger.  And I honestly call it a good day when that’s all I fit in.  Small successes are still successes.

(*image is of Alysa, found here)

Anyway, I’m not perfect.  But I’m still hanging in there.

(I guess I better eliminate the temptation and throw the chocolate chips in the trash.)

How are your New Year’s resolutions going?

Comments

26 Responses to “How the ‘ol Health Plan is going…”
    Leigh Ann says:

My New Year’s resolutions are still hanging in there. Thanks for the inspiration!

Katie says:

I’m actually doing pretty good! I’ve worked out thirty minutes every day except Sundays, and I’m trying to eat healthier. That’s really hard to do when cinnamon rolls are in season and fresh produce isn’t . Ha!! I think it’s important for us to set goals, and while it’s great if we can achieve them, the point is that we are genuinely trying. My goal is not really to just “be healthy”, but rather to lose some serious baby weight x2. Keep going, but you already look fabulous!

Ryan says:

I love that mentality of doing what you can reasonably do and not beating yourself up about what you didn’t do. So freeing! I started eating healthier last October and am still doing pretty well with that, and I started running two weeks ago and am still liking that, as well! But I also resolved to do a photo-a-day project for the month of January and failed miserably. You win some, and you lose some, I guess. :)

Kelly says:

On that note, I’m headed to the gym right now. Keep it going!

Unfortunately, frozen chocolate chips taste much better to me… especially with the whole almonds I also keep in the fridge.

Little steps forward are still steps — keep up the good work!

stacey says:

You are a great inspiration! I have just recently incorporated the hip flexor stretch also. You are doing great and I am trying to follow in your foot steps. I will be 40 this year and want to be in the best shape yet!

Great job and keep it up. :)

Charlene says:

An idea for the water – this is what works for me. I set a timer for every 60 minutes, then when it goes off, I drink 16 oz of water. Or, if I’m feeling really dehydrated, I do 16 oz every half hour, until I don’t feel dehydrated, then back it up to every hour. Try it! It works!!!

Justine says:

Life without frozen chocolate chips is not a life worth living.

Kristie says:

With the chocolate chips, frozen is better. I just make stuff with them, but I always take half of what I bake to the neighbors, friends, anyone I have heard of that needs a pick me up. That way, I won’t eat as many, and I am cheering someone else up.

Lori says:

I have been working on telling myself “no.” It occurred to me that I am much more careful with what goes into my kids’ bodies than mine. I tell them no when they are are near a not so great choice. I am not so good with telling myself no. Or at least “wait until after dinner and you can have a treat.” I have been working on that this year and it hasn’t been painful. Plus I loose the guilt of hypocrisy. And some lbs that I thought were stubborn- Nice.

Kelli says:

Keep it up, Ashley. Your posts are inspiring to many of us who are in the same boat. Trying to get healthy without doing it all today. I wish I was doing a little better in the snacking area, but…I am doing better at drinking water, so one step at a time, right? ;)

Tya TK says:

I’m keeping up with my New Years resolutions so far. I’m drinking more water, hitting the gym 4x a week, and running a 5K once a month. So far so good!

Mauie says:

I swore not to drink cola and other carbonated drinks starting this year and, so far, I’m doing ok. I still have to be more motivated on exercising daily, though.

Susie Hamlin says:

Oh, you are singing my song! This year I actully did make resolutions, but didn’t tell anyone. So far, so good as Tva TK said. Goal is to do a 5K in March and get some other projects finished that have been percolating for a few years.

I am so impressed with your mindset! Too many times we give up when things don’t go perfectly. I’m glad you are enjoying the flexibility portion of the workout!

Ziva says:

I can take those chocolate chips off your hands

I don’t make resolutions but now that my second baby is here, I really want to feel better about my body. After my first daughter was born, I never lost all the pregnancy weight, and I just never felt quite right. I don’t worry about size or numbers, I just want to feel and look good to myself. With number 2 here now, I’m hoping that I will be able to shed those last few and look better. i don’t have a real plan, just run around after them and start walking more. Until little baby girl has a more established routine, and I’m fully healed, I can’t do anything yet anyway.

SydneyB says:

I eat chocolate chips out of the freezer too, any my hubby thinks it’s nasty:) Glad to see you do it too!

Kristin says:

Haha Ashley! Your first goal with the water reminded me of that Mel Gibson movie “Signs” where the little girl left glasses of water all over the place. Goals are good, and so is not beating yourself up when you don’t meet them!!! I haven’t had Diet Dr. Pepper (which I freely refer to as “my crack cocaine”) since 2011 :) Hubby and I are eating way healthier, and working out every day, and I am using the app “Lose It!” and it’s AWESOME. I’ve lost 15-20 pounds so far, 35 more to go until I reach my goal weight! Yay for healthy lifestyles!!!

Diana says:

I’m doing pretty good. I’m proud to say I’ve lost 13.5 pounds in the New Year, and I’m getting myself moving more, too.

Crystal Light is a lifesaver for me in trying to get more water in.

Jenn says:

I use quart jars for water! The idea of only having to drink 2 of them instead of 3, 4 5 or 8 of something else somehow makes it easier. I just need to be better about not scrambling to finish off the last of it at 10pm! Also you should try My Fitness Pal in case you haven’t already. Seriously helps.

Sherri says:

I so admire you Ashley. My resolutions were to:

1. Stick to a budget (going well)
    2. Lose weight (started off well, but I’ve fallen off the wagon since having a piece of cake 2 weeks ago) :(
    3. Finish WIP quilts, projects I’ve started over the last 5 years that I put aside for one reason or another (going okay, I’m working to finish the binding on 8 quilts, then start to finish quilt tops for a bunch of others).

I love reading your block – so much inspiration!

Hannie says:

Hi, I think you’re doing really well. To me, jogging 5-6 times a weeks sounds like an impossible goal (LOL), I think 3 times is more realistic (but that is perhaps my Dutch attitude, gggg).

Because my body doesn’t like me jogging, I started Nordic Walking classes this weekend. I really liked it in the snow. O and I drink litres of herbal tea! That’s good also, isn’t it.

Kind regards from the Netherlands,
    Hannie

Jennifer says:

I have been trying to do better about getting my water in too!!! I would much rather be drinking soda that is for sure;-). What I have been doing to help get my water in is mixing a product called True Lime (100% Natural) with Truvia for a lime flavored water and then I also mix in some Crystal Light sometimes. Sometimes I just need a little flavor in my water!!

Dee Reat says:

I think it’s absolutely ok to give yourself a day off while dieting.

You will get more use by “cheating” on one day a week and do that for months than be on a strict diet but only for a four week period.

yeh well i normally leave till the last hour and thats pushing it! :(