A big ‘Happy Birthday’ to my 5 year old girl!

I always thought I would feel like a real mom when my first born turned 5 years old.  I don’t know, 5-year-old’s seem old when you’re having your very first baby.  It seemed like 5 would mean I had been in business long enough to legitimately feel like a ‘real’ mom.

5 years later, 2 more children, mounds of laundry, lots of tears to soothe, 3 sweet mouths to feed………and I still feel like no time has passed at all.  So, am I real yet?!  :)  This sweet baby girl of mine turned me into a mother 5 years ago…….and I couldn’t be happier with her for changing a bit of my identity and lifestyle.

. . .

This little lady has been counting down on a paper birthday chain for weeks.  When her birthday finally arrived yesterday, she grinned from the moment she woke up until the end of the day, when it finally sucked every last ounce out of her.  She completely enjoyed all of the attention.  All.  Day.  Long.

We waited until the evening to have a little family birthday bash……..when her cousins and aunts/uncles/grandparents could be there.  She told me she had a secret wish this year.  I hope it comes true little Missy!  (I really have no clue what it was.)

She asked for Pizza and Root Beer for her birthday dinner.  Soda is a ‘special occasion’ drink for our kids…….so once she got her hands on her root beer, she sucked that cup dry.

Her little brother enjoyed the party too.  And helped himself to a cupcake.  Or two or three.

Baby Girl was there too, so excited about all the commotion…….and nibbled on cooked carrots and blueberry puffs.  Yum.

When it was time for presents, she was excited to finally see what I had planned for that little vinyl bag (from this tutorial) that she saw me making last week.  (I decided to give it to her for her birthday and not Christmas.)  Yep, stuffed full of Polly Pockets.

And don’t worry, she was plenty spoiled this year by family here in Colorado…….plus her daddy’s side of the family in Idaho.

I’m not sure I have ever seen her so excited.  She just kept laughing and shrieking and giggling and bouncing around.  Her excitement was on turbo mode.  She also made it clear she wanted to open her presents on her cousin Camille’s lap.  (Thanks Camille……she was a wiggle-wart, I know.)

And when the line-up of Barbie Princesses were opened…….she about passed out from excitement.  Oh, the thrill!

And her Uncle Greg tested her to see if she knew all of their names.  (Yep, well, almost…..except Tiana.  She hasn’t seen the movie much.)

It was a great day.  Full of fun.  And bright paper, ribbons, gifts, and bows.  And of course, family.

Happy Birthday sweet girl!  You are such a lovely daughter, a helpful big sister, and a beautiful little person.

We love you.

And what a lucky duck you are……..only 4 more days and Christmas will be here to spoil you all over again!

Speaking of……are you all ready Christmas?  Are your gifts wrapped?  Are your holiday recipes chosen?

Hope these final days are happy.  And bright.

Filed under Family, Featured

Comments

40 Responses to “A big ‘Happy Birthday’ to my 5 year old girl!”
    Diana says:

What joyous pictures.. she’s darling and I love that she was so so excited.

t says:

She’s beautiful, just like her mommy. Just made a connection with you. I’m here in Blackfoot, Idaho. Becki and Pablo R. are some of our best friends here; she mentioned Pablo and your hubs served their missions at the same time. Very cool.

Arathi says:

Lovely pics! It was my husband’s birthday yesterday too!

Catherine says:

So cute. She is beautiful. I love seeing the excitement of children on birthdays and Christmas.

Stephanie says:

Congrats to you and your 5 yr old! My first born turned 15 yesterday! 15 years and 4 girls later, the time does fly so enjoy every moment. We also celebrated with pizza, unfortunately my baby girl has moved on from Princesses to Boyfriends!

A very Merry Christmas and thank you for your enjoyable site!

tinajo says:

They are all adorable – and happy birthday to her! :-)

Tawna says:

So. CUTE.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog the last couple of years- esp. since my oldest (a boy) is almost exactly the same age as yours. Its been fun to see your little girl grow and compare the life of a girl his age to him. My boy turns 5 Christmas Day (yeah. totally tricky.) and is all excited for his Mario party (to be held a few days later).

I totally agree about the “5 year old- know what you’re doing” comment. It did seem OLD- and like their parents should be all experienced, wise, mature, and well, OLD.

Now, 3 more kids later- lots of laundry, messes, craziness, etc- I have to disagree with my previous self. :)

Congrats on hitting that “mature/experienced” milestone. :D And happy birthday to your little cutie! (glad to see none of her presents were wrapped in Christmas paper! :P)

Jen says:

I’m glad she had a Happy Birthday, she looked like she had LOTS of fun.

Jessica says:

Happy birthday to your princess. Our daughter turned 5 on the 12th. She had the same look and was so excited to be turning 5. It must be a “magical” age :-)

Rebekah says:

Doesn’t 5 seem SO BIG? My daughter was 5 in November and it was like she transformed over night.

Emily Bucher says:

Happy Birthday! She looks so happy and is so loved, I’m sure!
    5 years old seems far away for my little girl! She’ll be 7 months on the 23th and I can’t imagine her being that old and me being that experienced at being a mommy! :)

Tiffany says:

She looks sooo happy! I hope her secret wish comes true too. Happy Holidays.

Emma says:

my little girl turned 5 on the 21st as well! We had a nice, quiet, present-filled day. Bell got snap-happy with her big-girl camera – taking photos of anything and everything, filling up her 4GB memory card and turning paparazzi on her 2 year old brother too… Happy 5 years of motherhood to you and Merry Christmas to your family :)

What an absolutely adorable little girl! Happy birthday to your firstborn!

Kel in Oz says:

<3 they're beautiful lovely memories Ashley… Your family is a joy. xx Merry Christmas to you and yours and to everyone else who's reading. I hope 2012 brings you everything you hope for and so much more! xx

Katie O says:

Happy, happy birthday to your sweet, beautiful ‘baby’ girl! Loved seeing her special day unfold, you are obviously blessed with a wonderful family. Merry Christmas to you & yours :)

Jenny says:

She is seriously adorable!! Sounds like she had a wonderful 5th Birthday- one that she is now old enough to possibly remember! I would say that you are not only a “real” mom but a great one too :) Have a Merry Christmas.

Susan says:

So cute. I love her perfectly polished pink nails!

marleide says:

Quero lhe desejar um feliz natal e que o ano novo venha cheio de coisas boas!!!
    Bjos…

Paula says:

She’s a beautiful little girl and she certainly had a lovely party. Your photographs are wonderful as always. Best wishes for a fabulous year for your *oldest* little lady :)

Tricia says:

She’s a doll and love those dimples! Happy Birthday!

Cherish these moments with your little ones…time flies way too fast.

Your daughter is precious, and the decorations look awesome. I love that stuffed vinyl bag full of Polly Pockets — I used to LOOOOVE Polly Pockets! :) Didn’t realize they still made them.

Stacy says:

What a sweet little beauty you have there!

Becky says:

awww! happy day to you too!

Holly says:

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl!!!

Our Christmas Eve is going to be tomorrow due to my husband’s work schedule. So we are in high gear to get everything ready in time. My fingers are blistered from cutting out paper snowflakes. Since we live down south and “white Christmas’” are pretty unheard of, we are taking matters into our own hands! My 4 year old has been talking about “when is it going to snow” for months. It may not be cold and wet, but by-golly our living room will be a winter wonderland!

Merry Christmas!!!!

Katie says:

A few months ago, my mom sent me over here to see your absolutely beautiful and fresh blog. I haven’t stopped looking almost daily ever since!

You have such beautiful children! Thank you for sharing your family and your creativity with all of us!

RobyGiup says:

Happy birthday!!!!!
    Looking at the pictures I’m sure she enjoyed the party very much! :)

Maureen M. says:

Lovely!! She is so grown up and beautiful. And I love the hat; all of our children end up wearing a bow on their head when unwrapping presents :) (and then the dog usually wears it for awhile!) Thank you for sharing your talent and making us all smile in the process. And merry Christmas!

Kristie says:

My baby girl turned 2 on Monday! Aren’t December birthday’s fun! haha! The last couple Christmas’s it has been kinda funny to wake up and walk into the living room to do Christmas stuff and still have Birthday balloons and such floating about the house! Glad your daughter had a fun birthday! We had a fun filled day over here too!

Sharon says:

Great photos! I love how you did her hair! I may steal that style for my 4 yr old’s Christmas pomp.
    Did you just use a curling iron?

Carolyn says:

Looks like the birthday was a blast! You have the most beautiful family…please add a belated “Happy Birthday!” to your daughter’s birthday wishes!

It was my birthday, too!!! Happy Birthday to that sweet girl!

Ursula says:

Awww, she shares the day with my daughter! Mine just turned 14 though, the oldest of 4 children, and I still feel like I am masquerading as a “real mom” sometimes.

Darlene B says:

I share a birthday with your little girl! Except my birthday number is a lot bigger (50!). Loved the pictures of your sweet girl enjoying her birthday. I sure enjoyed my special day!

Your daughter is a real cutie, my daughter has a close to christmas birthday too! And she’s getting that same set of princess barbies, but for christmas!

Mindy says:

You captured the moments beautifully. It’s so hard to be a mom IN the moment, AND be the photog to CAPTURE it too!

Crystal Parkinson says:

Wow! Can you believe our babies are 5 years old! I remember when your sweetheart was born. I was just looking at pictures the other day at the hospital. When you delivered your first toddler:). Then you delivered two more. You just don’t know how to have new borns:). Ellie is beautiful! I absolutely loved the pictures! You could feel her happiness and excitement in every one. You can tell she has been raised by a wonderful mother and has a great family!

Edie says:

aww she is so cute, she looks just like you.
    Happy belated birthday to her.
    (she shares a birthday with my hubby and his twin brother) Dec 21.

awww, lucky little girl!