What we do on boring days. And a few more bits of chatter…

I have something kind of girly/quick/wearable to share…..but it’s not quite finished and will have to wait until next week.

. . . . .

Sometimes my kids are restless.  And I’m restless.  And we need a little something to do.

So lately, our favorite “I’m booooored” therapy is bathtub swimming.

These two little fishies slip into their swim suits and paddle around in the bathtub for at least an hour.  Sometimes 2.  They love it and I love watching them love it.  (And if the baby is napping, I can even get a little reading in while they blow bubbles, pour water from cups, float on their backs, or play make believe with plastic animals.)

. . . . .

On our agenda for the weekend?  Clean out the kids room and closets, pack away summer and too small clothing, organize and store excess stuff under their beds and up high in their closets.  And maybe squish on baby cheeks.  Of this variety:

. . . . .

We went to the Denver Ikea yesterday.  And bought all sorts of little organization things for the little kiddos’ room.  We are in tight living quarters for a few more months so something had to be done about the extra stuff everywhere.  We were so tempted to buy this:

But decided we better just wait it out a few more months until we are more settled and in our own place.

So instead, we bought each of the two big kids a little night light.  That way they can sit them on their shared night stand and read by the soft glow of these squishy little creatures.  These monkeys of mine will sit and flip through about 12 books each at night before going to sleep (mumbling the story line from memory or making them up)……so this gives them just enough of a glow to read by.

Anyone want to meet up at the Ikea near Denver sometime?  It’s overwhelmingly fun.  (And even cooler than the other ones we’ve been to in UT and GA.  Haha…..not really.  It’s just newer.  And had more kid stuff out to play with in the children’s section.)

Enjoy your weekend.

Comments

37 Responses to “What we do on boring days. And a few more bits of chatter…”
    Brittany says:

I am dying to go! When are you wanting to go again?

Abby says:

Let’s totally meet up and hang out in Ikea sometime! It’s SO much fun!!

kiki says:

We did exactly the same last weekend :)
    Bought a new bed for the kids room and cleaned it up! Seems to be a good time for it!
    Have a great weekend,
    Kiki

kipsy says:

I love our new Denver IKEA!! And those nightlights are adorable! I can never get out of iKEA without buying some sort of lighting!

DON’T buy a bunk bed!! My husband and I were contemplating buying one for our two boys (4 and 3) and decided instead to build our own. He’s such a handy guy “) We just started building a twin over full set a few nights ago and have been working on it in the evening in our garage after the kids are asleep. That has left our cars out in the driveway for the past few cold nights, but it’s been SO worth it so far! We should have them done this weekend and I’m really excited to put on a beautiful dark finish and have the boys finish it off with dad and hide a handprint each to sign their work “)
    I’ll post pictures as soon as we’re done, but if you want to take a look at the plans, send me your email. We downloaded some plans from a company at http://www.bunkplans.com, but I’d gladly pass them along for free in return for all of the wonderful ideas you’ve provided me with!

Heather says:

Next time I’m in Denver, it’s a deal!! ;^) What a fun, creative idea for the kiddos, btw, on those restless wintery days! Fun!

Amy says:

That’s a great idea! I love to bring a magazine in and paint my toe nails while my toddler plays in the tub. Little kids can stay in there FOREVER

Ruth says:

Make bunk beds using scaffolding, it’s strong and very versatile.

emma says:

you look like such a fun & relaxed mommy! :)

I love, love, love IKEA! I’m pretty far from you (in Detroit) or else I’d love to hit up the Denver one. Can’t wait to see your girly project! Thanks for sharing all you do. :)

Leslie DeYoung says:

Thanks for the idea. My kids are getting there swim suits on right now and we are headed to the bathtub for a swim

Sarah says:

I’ve been known to do this quite often as well. In fact, literally, mine are in the tub as I type……… Great minds think alike!

Amy says:

I’m always up for a trip to Ikea! I’ve been so many times since it opened! We like going on Tuesdays because kids eat free for lunch!

Tara Johnson says:

Ash!!! You were 5 minutes from my in-laws! They live right next to park meadows mall. WE still haven’t been to an Ikea yet but may we will over Christmas break! We would love you see you!!!! I miss you guys!!!!

Justine says:

Bath time was my FAVORITE time when I was little, and more toys only made it better. I’m sure they’ll have some great memories.

~Stop Me if You’ve Heard This One

jesy says:

So cute and looks like they are having a blast!!! We actually bought that same bunk bed for little Ms R! Its a great bed and the price was so perfect its been a year and still holding up like a champ! :) I love IKEA stuff! Reminds me I need to take another trip there soon ;)

Jenny says:

Oh yes- Bathtub playtime is very entertaining around here too. My toddler is obsessed with playing with water right now.

yes please! A trip to the Denver Ikea would be fun!!! We’ve only been once and got a free frozen yogurt too!

Kelly says:

I’ve heard that one in Centennial is good! :D

Chris says:

I’m up in WY but have already been down to IKEA three times. And guess what I’ve purchased? That barnyard and stuffed animal set and a stepstool. I’m so overwhelmed when I go there and I have three young kiddos (one 8mos old) and it never fails that the children’s area is always full. My brain goes blank when I’m there. I need to actually plan my visits. lol. Anyway, meeting up would be fun!

Melissa Waldron says:

A really neat bath time fun idea for older tots is to turn off the lights and throw a glowsick in the tub. My kids LOVE it!!!

Paula says:

Your kids are adorable! Great idea to let them play in the tub in their swimsuits when it’s not even tubby time :)

Alison says:

I LOVE Ikea–I just live about 10 minutes away from the Centennial Ikea!! We have a little group of creative Colorado bloggers, and we would met there before and would LOVE to meet up with you sometime!!

Lydia says:

I LOVE your stuff but i HATE HATE HATE the part where we cant sell the stuff you show us how to make.

Tricia says:

Thanks for the fun, random post. Your blog is definitely in my top three of blogs to visit.

Cameron says:

Cute kiddos – we too love bath time. I was just thinking how I needed a small desk in the bathroom so it would be easier to hold my laptop . . . and safer, for everyone!

Erin says:

If I didn’t live way over in Washington I’d be the first to meet up with you at Ikea – I need to give you a hug, woman! You seriously saved my sanity a while back with your post on potty training. We had tried twice before with my stubborn almost 3 year old with plenty of headaches and no success. We knew she was capable, but she had NO will of her own. Changing out for a smaller diaper was GENIUS! Unfortunately, she was already in pull-ups and I couldn’t find a smaller duplicate, so I just sewed up the sides of her pull-ups and rendered them impossible to get above her knees. (See? It was still a crafting activity!) After much struggling, she finally surrendered to the obvious “Wow! You’re just too big for your diapers!” and accepted her new underpants. WE’RE NOW HAPPILY POTTY TRAINED!!! Thank you Ashley for sharing your success story!!!

G!ne says:

I’m excited in your girl/quick/wearable!!! I have already sewed 3 dresses made of old sweater and everyone loves them, even the baby ;-)

Mandy says:

We LOVE the Centennial IKEA!! My 4 y.o. is always begging to go play at the “big blue building”. We live just around the corner so it’s tough to stay away ;-)

Katie says:

I’ll meet you at the Ikea anyday, just as long as we hit Denver Fabrics too!

kandyce says:

two things: One: how can you be bored in denver? in the fall?? (we’re currently really, really missing it here in south india). Two: can’t wait to go to the IKEA when we get back! we moved right after they opened, and didn’t want to battle the ridiculously long lines. :)

Aunt Jeri says:

Oooh I absoulutely dislike the bunk beds! It is so hard to change the sheets on the top bunk so they didn’t get changed as much as they should of. I would suggest a day bed. Easier to make the both beds and the bottom can slide out of the way. Love it! I also LOVE IKEA. Better than UT? Hmmm, maybe we need to come to Denver!

Julie says:

I have been wanting to go check it out. Seems there are a lot of people around Denver who read this blog. I am thinking we all need to have a craft-a-thon sometime :)

Erin says:

We went to the Denver IKEA a couple of weekends ago! I had never been to one, and we loved it. Our little guy especially liked the wooden train sets that hook together with magnets. We could hardly get him away from them. It’s a great store!

Love says:

IKEA is always fun to drop by. All the interesting concepts and designs they have always make the visit something to look forward to. By the way, my son used to swim in the bathtub too. He enjoyed himself until he got bored of it after a year or so.

Audrey says:

I do love the IKEA in Denver! It is so much fun to go there.:)

Kari says:

We just went for the first time this weekend. I felt kind of overwhelmed! I would would be a happy partner to go along again. It looks like there are so many of us commenting, I agree with Julie: we should have a sewing/crafting meetup there. Not sure that would actually work but it would be fun!