Caprese Sandwich: simple, fresh, delicious

Still working on the project from the winner of the ‘Next Project Idea’ poll.  You know, the Fabric Storage Cubes.  I didn’t forget.

Stay tuned next week or so for my ideas on how to create your own.

. . . . . .

My dad has this great little garden in his backyard.  Remember his little crop of spinach that he used for his spinach/feta eggs here

He also has tomatoes, onions, herbs, lettuce, and green beans.

Okay, he has another garden plot out on a farm too, so that he can grown squash, potatoes, more onions, melons, and hmmmm, I can’t remember what else.  I’m sure there’s more.  But it’s his hobby.  And it is so cute to see him work his guts out to produce his little fruits/veggies.  But even more…….it’s so useful.  I’ve only bought lettuce 1 time this summer.  And we eat salad a lot.  It’s just so handy to walk in the backyard and snip off some lettuce leaves.  Or pluck a few herbs for a recipe.  Love it.

I hope being around his garden is rubbing off on me because the one time I tried to grow tomatoes, it cost me a whole lot of money for soil, plants, etc…….and then they only produced like 3 tomatoes.  Yeah, call me black thumb.  So sad.  I sure love munching on my dad’s garden though.

Anyway, I have been on a Caprese Salad kick.  The fresh tomatoes and basil, a bit of fresh mozzarella, and some seasonings.  Yum.  I could eat it daily.

A few weeks ago, I thought I had the best idea……..why not turn my favorite flavors into a sandwich?  I made it, ate it, and loved it.  But the funny part is that I thought I was so original………until I googled it.  Ha.  Everyone else had that great idea too.  Pretty funny.

But here’s my take on a really simple and fresh Caprese Sandwich.

Such a perfect punch of freshness, all in one bite.

And the leading ingredients?  Both snatched from the garden.

Really, you’ll love it after just one bite.  Mmmmmmm.

Are you hungry?  And/or still craving summer fresh produce?  (They’re not gone yet.)

Here’s how to make a great little sandwich for yourself.

First up?  The fresh ingredients.

Nothings better than some fresh tomatoes from the garden……..but run to your local grocery store for a few, if needed.  They all come from the same earth.

And oooooh, swipe some fresh basil out of the garden.  Nice and rich and flavorful.

(The grocery store kind work too……if you don’t have a dad/friend/neighbor who shares his!)

Then go on and slice up that tomato…………and set it aside.  (I’m still holding onto summer.  Yum.)

Now, gather the rest of your ingredients:  (not pictured: balsamic vinegar and olive oil)

If you notice, that bread may seem strange.  It’s gluten free.  I wish I could make this sandwich with some french bread or ciabatta bread or heck, even some plain ‘ol sandwich bread.  But I can’t.  It’s that darn gluten thing.  So this Udi’s brand bread is the closest I have found to regular bread.  It’s not too bad.

But……look at the price tag on that mini loaf of bread.  Yeah, that says $5.69.  (Most gluten free products will hurt your budget just the same.)  But it’s worth it to have bread again.  So check them out if you’re gluten free and missing bread.  They’re about the best I’ve found.

Anyway, whatever type of bread you use, spread some olive oil (be generous) on your bread and sprinkle minced garlic right on top.  Then place in the oven on a high heat, for just a moment or two, just to toast up the bread a bit.

Then place your tomatoes down on your bread and sprinkle them with a bit of salt and pepper.

Then drizzle with some balsamic vinegar…

Now place some basil leaves on top, followed by a good sized slice (or two) of fresh mozzarella.  Regular mozzarella just doesn’t quite taste the same.

Then sit outside, make your belly a happy one,

and enjoy the rest of the summer.

Comments

26 Responses to “Caprese Sandwich: simple, fresh, delicious”

I feel you on the gluten free thing. I’ve been GF for 4 years now due to Celiac. Udi’s is my favorite too. The price tags of all these products is the killer though.

Beth says:

That is our favorite – tbm sandwich. We had it every day when we were in France. My husband likes it with proscutto on it too!

Michele says:

Looks delicious! I’ve been on a salad caprese kick myself. The tomatoes have been so good this summer.

Emily says:

I add some chicken breast to mine to add a bit more protein and it’s so yummy!

erin says:

oh my, this looks amazing! i love anything that has fresh tomatoes and basil, and this would be perfect for an end-of-summer dinner.

Ellyse says:

just passing through, but had to comment this sandwich looks delicious! I love the fresh taste/scent of basil. My plant has been growing strong for a bit now and thank goodness for it.

Mariana says:

Ah, mouth is definitely watering now. If I had some basil (curses!) I would totally have this right now for breakfast.

LauraBeek says:

Thank you Thank you Thank you for sharing this with the gluten free bread. I so needed to see that. I’m allergic to wheat. Do you think a little garlic would hurt it? I just like to cover up the taste of the bread a bit. I have a loaf of Udi’s in my freezer I want to use but so far I’ve only enjoyed it in the nutmeg cinnamon french toast (last month’s BHG issue recipe). I have all the ingredients except that type of cheese. Heading to the store today! Thanks again.

Jax says:

I just love Caprese Salads…… I will have to try this one! I liek the idea of balsamic!….. this is really similar to a sandwich that I make all the time that is oh so good! You take french bread and slice it into 3/4″ slices. Then mix some EVOO, red wine vinegar, oregano, S&P, and brush it on one side of each slice. Then spray the opposite side with EVOO Pam. Then put the Pam side down in a frying pan, and layer fresh basil, fresh mozzarella, and fresh tomato, then the other piece of bread, Pam side up. Flip the sandwich once the bottom is nice and brown (I use tongs to flip) then as the other side is cooking, use a spatula to press it down like a panini….. amazing taste! And for weight watchers, it’s only 7 points for 2 little sandwiches!!!!

Sarah says:

I just discovered Udi’s and Rudy’s gf. bread and it sent me into 7th heaven. Only those who have been forced to live without REAL bread for ages will truly appreciate gluten free bread! :)

Sue says:

Have you tried these as a panini? They are excellent!

Wendi says:

You should check out everdaypaleo.com

She has some amazing recipes and you could all the home grown veggies, fruit, lettuce, etc. :)

Jo says:

This is my new favorite Sammy as well, but rather than open face, I add a second slice on top, brush the outside of the bread lightly with olive oil and toss it on the “foreman”

Jo says:

Haha, maybe I should read others’s posts before I jump in with my ” ingenious” grilling idea… Obviously you have readers with very good taste.

Teresa says:

Headed to the store and bought and made this for dinner on French baguette with steak. So yummy. Thanks for great idea.

Normal bread costs minimum $4 a loaf in Australia… so count your lucky stars you don’t have to buy Gluten Free bread here, cause they charge about $7-$8 a loaf!!!

Aside from that. I am now rather hungry. Darn!

Aubry says:

Looks good. Where do you buy fresh Mozzarella?

Jamie says:

We do this a lot but with a little balsamic vinegar drizzled on the bread!

Winter says:

Love fresh tomatoes from the garden. We’ve had almost more than we can eat this year and a friend suggested peanut butter and tomato on crackers. It was surprisingly yummy! And bonus, gluten free crackers are a bit easier to come by.

Cindy says:

I feel so hungry now…..problem is I am not allowed to eat any dairy products, yeast, wheat,tomatoes etc etc, as I have server IBS also celiac so my diet is very limited, : ( at least I can eat some of the fruits I love but I cant eat apples and oh I love my apples so much…
    Enjoy eating those yummy foods : )

Michelle says:

Not sure of your location but I was able to find a 2 pack of Udi’s bread at Costco for $7.

Reagan says:

Hello!
    I read your blog all the time and I just figured out you were gluten free. I was recently diagnosed with Celiacs, so I am thankful you have some recipes on here!
    Reagan