Camera is still broken……and something that made me laugh. Really hard.

My sweet little Canon Rebel camera is still in the shop.  (remember this?)

Yeah, cameras don’t get fixed as fast as cars do.  My husband took our car in to get the transmission fluid flushed this morning and we were all bugged that the car place wouldn’t have it done until tomorrow morning.  Hmmmpphf.  It’s easy to get impatient with these things.  But really, 24 hours isn’t so bad.  (And hey, at least we have a car.  And running water.  And take out. Ha.

I use my camera more often than the car though……and the camera won’t be fixed for like 3-4 weeks.  That’s a long time.  Wow.

Remember how I was borrowing my sister’s camera?  Well, how dare her 3rd born have a birthday this weekend.  (Happy 16th Birthday cute Camille!  Good luck on the driving test!) So I have to wait a couple days to borrow it again before I finish the post I was working on.  And my gosh, my fingers can’t keep up with the ideas I want to share here……..so just you wait.  Eeeeeeh!!

Anyway, in the mean time, I took a few pictures the other day of something really random that happened before returning my sisters camera.  And looking back at them cracks me up.  And in the moment, it was hilarious.

So I have to share.

Let me first explain something about my husband.  He stays up really late at night studying.  He has a bunch of tests coming up and has been extra exhausted studying for them.  So to help him stay awake, his stimulant of choice is Diet Pepsi.  And his favorite way to drink it?  Slightly frozen.  He will stick one in the freezer for about an hour, and then pull it out and drink it…..enjoying all the little bits of frozen pepsi inside.

Well, the other night, he must have been so attuned to his text books that he completely forgot about the Pepsi.

The next morning, I heard a really hushed, “Oh no!” from the kitchen.  I ask him what was wrong and he didn’t answer.  A moment later he quietly muttered, “Oh man….”  I asked him again what happened.  I was still in the next room as he told me that he forgot all about putting his can of Pepsi in the freezer the night before.  I figured it must have cracked open but was surprised that he would be so distraught over something so silly.  So I quickly responded, “It’s not a big deal……just wipe it out.”

He looked at me like I was crazy and then half smiled as I walked over to the freezer.  He then opened the freezer nice and wide and said, “Do you think I can just wipe this out?”

I. Died. Laughing.

I thought I would see a few sprays on the wall of the freezer or maybe a puddle where the can sat.  But nope, this can of my husbands favorite beverage, retched all over the freezer.  And then created Pepsi Stalactites and frozen blankets of soda all over the place.

I sit here and laugh all over again, just looking at these pictures.  Ha.

And do you see the culprit?  This can didn’t just open at the top.  The whole top blew right off.  Our freezer didn’t stand a chance.

My husband, finally looked at me and joined in on the laughter.

I then suggested he start taking everything out, one by one, and wipe them down or run them under warm water.  And then wipe down the entire freezer.

And then I snuck away to feed the kids breakfast.

Hey, at least our freezer is sparkly clean now.  Thanks Steve!

So, of course, our little freezer mess made me think of this image that floats around the internet:

image source

Doesn’t that hurt your little heart to look at that?  Ack!

And that made me remember when a reader told me over a year ago, about something disastrous that her own kids did in their room.

The mom, Nike (pronounced “Neeka”), tells the story here.

Ouch.  The sofa cushions are even covered.

Anyway, sometimes your messes seem big……….until you see someone else’s.  Haha!

Enjoy your weekend.  And I’ll have a camera again soon.  :)

Filed under Family, Featured, Random

Comments

45 Responses to “Camera is still broken……and something that made me laugh. Really hard.”
    Melody says:

Oh my. Thank you for sharing this. I laughed so hard! It totally sounds like something that would happen around here!

Liz says:

I need to hang those pictures on my wall so that next time my two year old gets into the desitin or vasoline I can remember its not as bad as it could be!

Taryn Brown says:

Oh man that’s too funny. I had a very similar experience but it was a can of coke in a very hot car in the Las Vegas desert. Totally exploded coke all over the windshield and dashboard. At least your hubby drinks diet so it’s not sticky. Coke is sticky! We enjoy soda a little icy but we usually only put it in the freezer if we have bottles. Thanks for the laugh.

Kimberly says:

I did that same thing not very long ago – with a Pepsi, too, and it was for my husband, too, not even for me. The bad thing is we have a pull-out drawer kind of freezer which makes it really hard to clean when something sprays clear back into the far reaches of the corner. You have to reach in over the top of the drawer, trying not to touch the runners as they leave grease on you, yah, found out the hard way. It took me a good hour to get that thing clean. I learned my lesson to always count how many pops I put in the freezer so I make sure I get all of them (I tend to hide them under things to chill faster.)

bwilliams says:

Thank you! I really needed that laugh. And, the photo of the two little ones with the white paint reminded me of similar incident with my middle grandson….himself; his bed; a chair; and carpet in two bedrooms,a hallway and all threat down the stairs he slid down on his belly…and we got pictures for posterity. Incidents like these are proof of life.

Nicki says:

I know for sure that I will one day have pictures like this courtesy of my little boy. Luckily it hasn’t happened yet since we’re still renting. This post cracked me up.

Colette says:

So funny! Especially that your husband was so worried about it! It’s nothing compared to the other picture disasters!

Kitty says:

That made me laugh SO hard. It reminded me of my best blunder. When my my hubby and I first started out together we shared a tiny cubby hole apartment with a tiny kitchen that you could literally stand in the middle of and touch each wall with your arms spread out. We we cleaning because my parents we visiting for the first time, so I started washing up some things in the sink. My hubby called from the other room and I left the sink (water running) and headed over to see what he needed. We went over a what needed to be done and then I headed back to the kitchen to turn the water off so as not to waste it. When I got to the kitchen the floor was covered in an inch of water, one of the dishes had lodged in the drain and the water was over flowing onto the floor. My husband came running when he heard me shriek, and then stared at the flood and said “Sweetheart if you wanted to clean the kitchen floor a mop would have been a better idea” I think I laughed so hard I cried

Sarah says:

That is so funny! My husband eats hotdogs to keep him awake while he is studying. Sometimes he will put one in the microwave (for 30 seconds) and the sit on the couch and fall asleep. I find hotdogs in the microwave all the time. An exploded can of soda, though…that’s hilarious!

Steph says:

This reminds me of a similar experience we had two winters ago. Hubby forgot his unopened can of coke in my van and we had an exceptionally cold night (below -30 celcius). My daughter and I had planned on going swimming the next morning and when I opened the van door I was so shocked and perplexed to see this brown foamy stuff ALL over the driver side of the van. It was hanging off the ceiling, the steering wheel, all over the consol and cd player. My windshield was caked in foam! My brain actually shut down for a second or two while I stood there in sub zero weather trying to figure out how the inside of my van exploded. After the shock wore off I spotted the can in the cup holder. I sense of releif washed over me as I could finally piece together why my van looked the way it did. Then I cycled to frustration then fits of giggles. I remember entering the house and saying “Honey, you’re not going to believe this.” The ceiling apolstry in the van was stained for the life of that vehicle and getting frozen gooey coke off the inside of the windsheild took a lot of work. At least I had the sense to shop vac most of the foam out before it heated up and turned back into a liquid! Thanks for the memories!!!!

“OMG” barely covers it!
    My toddlers love to paint… I pray they never see these photos and get any ideas!

Connie says:

my husband does the same thing, but so he doesn’t forget, again, he sets the timer now…hint to your hubby.. :)

Jodie says:

Oh my! That reminds me of when I accidentally left a 12 pack of Mt. Dew in the trunk of my car – in the winter – in Wisconsin – it was a mess!! I couldn’t fully clean it until it was warmer since I didn’t have a garage back then, and in the cold weather it was really hard to clean.

Michelle says:

Hahahaha! Oh man, that is awesome! I’ve heard of that happening to my friends, but never seen it! Totally cool how it just blew off the top, lol. We’ve learned from our friends’ mistakes by putting the timer on right after putting it in the freezer. Had I not learned that, I am sure that would have happened at least once (but most likely more, haha!).

Cassie says:

About 3 years ago I finally finished sewing our back screened in porch with sunbrella fabric…covered cushions on 2 chairs, a couch, throw pillows and curtains all the way around. We stored boxes of sodas on the porch when it got cooler for our Bible Study on Wed. nights (so it didn’t take up room in our fridge). One night the temps got too cold (in TN) and the next morning my new, beautiful sunbrella fabric was COVERED with the brown, frozen mush that you had in in your freezer. I never totally got it off and have stains to remind me of that awful day. I think the freezer would have made me laugh. My porch made me almost cuss! (and I’m not a cussin’ girl)

I always wondered what would happen if you froze a can of soda. A curiosity that stemmed from being told never to do it. Now my curiosity is satisfied with a good laugh! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah says:

Hahahaha!! Oh my gosh!! I had no idea a frozen can of coke would do that!!! Of course, I bet you guys didn’t know that either. =P I would have died laughing too. That’s just too good.

Nikki says:

I’ve done this a few times, too. The last time was about 3 days before a cross country move. I hope our renters appreciate the sparkling clean freezer that I left them with!

Mindy says:

I don’t sew much, but I always read your blog because it makes me smile! Thanks for sharing the funny things in life.

Patty says:

Thanks for sharing. That face on the wall in one of those pictures just cracked me up!!

Oh my goodness, that is too funny! Seriously, how can you do anything BUT laugh at that?!

Kelly says:

While I can somewhat appreciate your laughter, I sit here stoned faced looking at your pictures because I am a 30 year Coke drinker and I too like mines best slightly frozen. I have had soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many sodas explode in the freezer its Not. Even. Funny. The worst is when you’re sitting just feet away and hear it explode. Once your heart restarts, you check to make sure you have all of your parts, that there are no holes in your body, no blood and you actually have not been shot. It sinks in that you have not only jacked up the freezer AGAIN and you have to clean it, you also realize you just wasted another soda. Now, I NEVER put a soda in the freezer without setting the oven timer for 1 hour so that the beep of the alarm will alert me to take it out and I don’t press cancel on the timer until after I take it out of the freezer so that I will have intermittent reminders that the soda is still in the freezer. 6 years running so far so good.

Shannon says:

Oh my goodness, I used to do that all the time! Usually because I got my Coke out of the box and wanted it cold. My poor family was often finding my Coke exploded in the freezer. :-( So then it was like “Always. Set. A. Timer!!!!” :-) That helped.

Bron says:

Oh My!! thanks for the perspective :-)

Taylor says:

Yeah I totally did that with a diet coke one time. It exploded everywhere, but it made everything in the freezer extra delicious! ;) I would have never thought that it would explode!

Doris Parker says:

My 7 yr old lil man was sitting with me and he saw the pics of your guys and asked if they were ghosts. I told him what they did. his mouth opened up and said – does their mom know -there gonna be in BIG trouble!! THEN i scroll down to the other kids and the black room.. and Jayden was gasping and kept saying – big trouble!! and then he asks… WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF I DID THAT???? I just said – don’t even think about it!! OMG!!! on both pics and I have done the same with the soda can!! EXCEPT I put several cans in there!!!
    Doris
    [email protected]

Sarah B says:

Sounds completely like something I would do! I’m in nursing school right now and also spend plenty of late hours up studying, over night clinical rotation at the hospital, and I have two little girls (2 and 3 months). Needless to say I hit the syrup occasionally (more like several times a day) to stay awake and alert. Best of lucky to your hubby in school, and remind him he’s in good company with your blog readers.

A friend of mine left a 2-liter bottle of soda in the freezer for too long. When he opened it the soda SHOT out of the bottle like a geyser all over the ceiling. I remember being frozen in total shock with soda raining down all over us in my tiny apartment kitchen, fits of giggles followed. Cleaning it off of the walls and ceiling and every little crack you could ever imagine was not fun! I had no idea how much sticky lived inside of a bottle of coke.

Liz says:

This made me feel so good. Last night my girls got into green and brown paint and it was chaos in their bedroom, but it wasn’t as bad as either of those pictures. And I follow Nike’s blog to! She’s just as fab as you are!

I laughed so hard, because those pictures looked so familiar!! I have done that with Cherry Coke way.too. many. times! So glad to be able to tall my hubby it’s not just me!

Anna says:

All I could think was ,”oh dear God in heaven.” when I saw the black paint mess. I love the look of the can without the top. pretty cool. That sounds yummy-licious though.

Thanks for this story. Like, you I was laughing hard as soon as I saw the pics. It is probably because my hubby likes his Pepsi this way as well. And, while we haven’t had any mishaps such as this, we have had bulging cans.

Caren says:

My daughter has made a lasting impression on our lives in more ways than one. For example: black Sharpie marker on beige couch. Need I say more? At least she’s not yet two, so she doesn’t know how to spell her name yet. Can you imagine if she actually wrote her name on the couch/floor/window/table? Oh yes, she’s made her mark….

A Weight says:

Laughing Out SUPER LOUD!!!

Alyssa says:

Wow. I’ve frozen a few cans of pop in my day, but the top has never blown off before! It is a good way to force you to clean the freezer though lol.

Jen says:

Oh Man that stinks, one time I brought in a case of Pepsi, I dropped the boxed and one can split wide open sending pop every where right through the box and all over the kitchen. It was a mess it happened so fast I didn’t have time to take the box outside.

Veronica says:

LOL! I love that little story. It made my day. Thanks for making me laugh. Can’t believe the top blew right off! At least you got a clean freezer now ^.^

Amy says:

Ha! That made me laugh. It also reminded me of a time when we lived in Michigan. My friend left an unopened Diet Coke in her car over night. It got so cold that night that it froze causing a similar situation in her car. So at least your mishap was contained to the freezer.

Melissa Brown says:

I did this exact same thing a couple of weeks ago trying to freeze root beer for my hubby! Then I remembered that he has a freezer mug for this exact purpose! It’s like one of those mugs with liquid inside the sides that you freeze and then put your drink in it and it gets it cold. But the one that my hubby has, has this crystal gel in it that seems to freeze a LOT colder. He actually has his root beer freeze around the edges so it get’s slushie after it’ been in the mug for 10 or 15 minutes! Especially if the drink has been in the fridge before you pour it in. I just thought I would mention this because it may be a less messy alternative for your hubby! You can find them online by searching “crystal freezer mug”. they usually seem to have sports teams on them though… I don’t know why…

So, my husband is back in GA for a week taking tests and such for his PA program. He called me today and told me that he put some sodas in the mini fridge last night in his hotel room and turned the fridge temp way down because it wasn’t cooling down. He checked on it this morning…….and it totally busted open just like it did here. The fridge turned into a freezer overnight!! Anyway, I just ordered this mug from Amazon. Great idea….thanks!!!!! And yeah, they were all football ones, so I ordered GA because that’s where he’s at making new soda exploding memories. He’ll love it!! ;) Thanks for saving him some future grief Melissa!

Lisa says:

I did that once (frozen soda) with two cases of diet coke – in the car in the middle of winter! It wasn’t pretty. And NO, my hubs wasn’t laughing as I scrubbed diet coke off of the car ceiling and leather upholstery.

We no longer leave any groceries in the car until later! Lesson learned.

Lisa says:

That.is.hillarious!!! I wish I could’ve been a fly on the wall when he opened the freezer that morning! SOOOO funny! Thanks for sharing!

serena says:

for our open house at the store where i work, someone put like 5 cases of pop in the huge walk-in freezer … and forgot about them. wow, needless to say, it was not cool.

jenn says:

um. just wanted to thank you for making me crack up just now – totally needed that! ;)

Annie says:

I have a similar story! My dad had just gotten some coke cans and they were still wam, so my older brother and sister wanted to cool down faster so we could drink them- I guess we hadn’t though of pouring it over some ice :)- and we put three cans in the freezer. The next morning my sister found them… All three exploded all over the fridge. I’m sure you know what I mean! I guess we’ve learned our lessons! Thanks for sharing! I like your blog a lot!