My poor camera is sick…

I was taking pictures 2 days ago and my camera suddenly shut down.

Resetting hasn’t helped.  Either has stomping my feet.  So, it’s off to the camera doctor for him.  Good thing I bought that extended warranty.

Anyone ever have an Error 99 on their DSLR Canon camera?  I have taken thousands and thousands of pictures with my little buddy……and was hoping to take thousands and thousands more.  I’m sure he’ll come back brand spankin’ new.

In the meantime, I drove 20 minutes over to my sisters house (gosh, this living near some of my siblings thing is coming in handy…) and borrowed her camera.  Which, luckily, is just like mine (except newer).  So I can use my lenses on it and everything.  Good ‘ol Canon Rebel’s.

Anyway, I have a little project in the works, that I’ve had fun with……..but my lack of camera slowed me down a bit.  So I’ll have it up for tomorrow.

. . . . .

In the meantime, I was looking through old photos……..and came across a few that just made me laugh.

Usually when I make things, it’s early in the morning, during nap time during the day, or after the kiddos are in bed at night.

The other morning, the kiddos were all sleeping, so I snuck out to the backyard to take a few pictures of something that I was working on.  I can usually get some good sunlight between 7am-8am…….and then the kids usually start waking up and start telling me how hungry their tummies are.

Anyway, on that morning, I had been out there for probably 10 minutes…….and then suddenly looked up towards the back door I had left open, and saw this:

This kid knew exactly where I was.  And wasn’t going to let me steal all of the good shots.

And hey, he’s learning some great technique.  A good sturdy 2 hand hold……..and his fingers aren’t even covering the view finder.  That’s a success.

Maybe I should hire him to assist me?  He’d totally take craisins as payment.

(And yes, all of his PJs were dirty so he wore my old Tshirt to bed.  And yes, I worked at Cold Stone like 10 years ago.  Best ice cream eating summer of my life!!)

Hard day at work…….time to call it a day.  Thanks for your help, little mister.

I wish that toy camera actually worked.  Then I could have used it when my camera pooped out on me.  But then again, having a Canon using sister nearby worked out great too.

So, I’ll show you what I’ve been up to tomorrow.

And don’t forget to buy your extended warranties on your pricey gadgets.  :)

Comments

23 Responses to “My poor camera is sick…”
    Kari Mathews says:

I had the same error two years ago and they can fix it! Mine was an issue with the main circut board draining the battery prematurely. I sent it to Canon and it was prefect when it returned, but I did have to resend it back with two of my lenses so they could “update” the camera to accept the telephoto and macro, but it’s been great since. :)
    Much cheaper than buying a new camera too.

Megan says:

My camera just got back from the shop having had an error 99. It wouldn’t display any LCD functions and when I turned it on it would automatically take a photo with me ever touching the shutter button. $200 later and I have my camera back good as new. The return sheet said they replaced the shutter and mirror. Error 99 is sort of a catchall error message so really anything could be wrong. If it I’d broken for good then canon does offer you 20% off a refurbished camera.

Aleta says:

I wish you would have given a little clue about what project we’ll see tomorrow. I check everyday to see what new project you are offering up!!! oh the anticipation!!! I’m sure it will be good ;) my sewing machine is ready to get to work.

Casey L. says:

I had the err99 on my Canon a few months back. It happened on vacation of all places too. Luckily I bought the warranty (despite most people saying they’re a scam) and thank goodness I did because they couldn’t fix mine. I got a brand spanking new camera!! Err 99 is a generic error code so really it could be a million different things.

Kimberly says:

Oddly enough I had the same issue this week. My husband Googled it and found a below listed link. I did try the fix with the pencil eraser, it seemed to work though I did get one err99 after that. Good luck! http://www.richardsnotes.org/archives/2005/04/29/50mm-lens-contact-points/?wpc=2#comments

Heidi says:

Yes. It was the Err99. My lens was not making contact with the camera I later found.

I have since gotten it but have messed around with it and cleared it. I fear seeing that error message!

Sorry…that really blows though b/c it could be ANYTHING!

Marlena says:

Maybe this will help you… http://photography-on-the.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-55466.html… look about five posts down to “Windup”. Good luck!

Danielle H. says:

Ack I totally got that! In fact I got it right after my 1 year warantee ended! I about dyed. In fact I haven’t had it fixed, it kills me but it just hasn’t been top priority (2 years later!) I’m about to either send it in or get a new one. I tried all the “fixes” but they only worked for like an hour and then it would crap out on me again. I hope you get your camera back super fast!

Heather says:

My kids think it’s fun to wear my old t-shirts (or their dad’s) whenever their pjs are all dirty. I think it’s cute and I remember wearing my dad’s old shirts when I was little.

Katy says:

Hi! I just had to upgrade after my Canon (non DSLR) had a lens error I couldn’t seem to get past :( Good luck!

Alison says:

Yup! We had the error 99. I’m surprised by the people who seem to know what the problem was. From research, I knew that it was an anything could be wrong error, but when we called Canon, we got the impression that they wouldn’t be able to know what the problem was and would just replace the main circuit board and call it good. We didn’t get it fixed (because we couldn’t afford it at the time), but it settled into just needed a reset (popping the battery and putting it back in) if it sat idle for too long. It’s annoying, but I’m so used to quickly doing it, that it seems so normal now. I would never buy another Canon as a result, and I try to discourage people from buying one.

Melissa says:

Ashley, you are incredibly talented and I really enjoy reading your blog! So i have a request and wasn’t sure where to put it but do you think you could put up a tutorial for an ipad case/clutch? (similar to the one in jonesdesigncompany.com her august giveaway?) Thanks!

Michele N says:

The pictures of your little man are so cute! Love his little camera too. :o) Unfortunately I know nothing of your error because I don’t own a Canon, I have a Pentax & have loved it. The only issue I’ve had is when I’ve tried to use an 8 GB card, I can take 45 pictures or so and then I will get a message that says memory card full. I can turn it off & on again and it will usually clear it. I have a couple of things to try again, but it may just be too much for the camera to handle.

Patty says:

Your little man is sooo darn cute!!!

Katie O says:

That was SO cute! Priceless moment :)
    Hope your camera gets fixed quickly.
    Can’t wait to see your next project. They are all SO fabulous!

Jessica says:

My husband’s camera stopped shooting and had the same Error 99 while we were at an airshow…..moments before the Blue Angels’ demonstration. Ack. :( From what he could find, it’s some unspecified error message and from the other comments it could be a range of things. He suspected it was his shutter and sent it in to be repaired.

Jodi says:

I remember wearing my dads t-shirts for pajamas — even when I had clean pjs. It was the best! Hope you get your camera fixed soon!

old t shirts are my kids favorite jammies. They call them “jumpin jammies’ because they are so much more fun to jump in!

Cindy says:

I had an err99 on my XSi, plus some weird things showing up in the pictures and it turned out the shutter fell apart and jammed.

Here’s what it looked like: http://weaselbeestudios.blogspot.com/2011/03/death-of-camera.html

I took it as a sign, after I found out how pricey the repair would be, and invested in a 7D :D

Lydia says:

My camera is in the shop for the same thing. I dealt with the er99 for about 9 months because I hoped it would go away, but it got out of control. It is sad to be without my camera for 3 weeks, but if it comes back better, then it is worth it.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] for the camera tips from yesterday.  Hopefully my camera will be fixed right [...]

2. [...] My sweet little Canon Rebel is still in the shop.  (remember this?) [...]

3. [...] M&#1091 sweet small Canon Rebel camera &#1110&#1109 still &#1110n th&#1077 shop.  (remember th&#1110&#1109?) [...]