Baking Disaster – Where did I go wrong?

Okay.  What a sad little disaster.

So, Sunday tends to turn into treat baking night with the kids.  At least twice a month.

Sometimes more…..sometimes less.

A friend of mine (Hi Angie!) made some incredible gluten free cupcakes several few weeks ago and they were dee-licious.  Yum.  She found the recipe on this website but I didn’t have the exact recipe that she used…….but I think it was this one.  The recipe seemed simple and I wanted to give it a try.  And I had all the ingredients.  Well, except for one.  Agave Nectar.

So I searched online how to substitute regular ‘ol granulated sugar for agave nectar…….because of course, I have some of that.  Turns out nobody wants to substitute sugar for agave, only the other way around.  Haha……..I know.  Don’t laugh.

Anyway, so I found a conversion that said to use 2/3 cup of agave nectar for 1 cup of sugar.  And the recipe I was using called for 1 cup of agave……so I dumped in 1 1/2 cup of sugar.  But it also says that if you’re substituting agave for sugar, you need to reduce your liquid in the recipe.  But since I was doing it the other way around……I added some liquid.  A 1/4 cup of water.  That was just a shot in the dark.  I have never used agave nectar but I think it’s thick.  Like karo syrup?  Maybe?  Anyway, so I didn’t think I needed too much liquid.

Anyway, my kiddos helped me scoop the batter into cupcake papers and I placed the pan in the oven.  After about 18 minutes at 350 degrees (F)……I smelled something burning.  I looked in the oven and OHMYGOODNESS, the batter was over flowing every single cupcake paper and was spilling over the edge of the pan.  My first thought was that I filled each liner too full.  But I only filled them 2/3 full.  The cupcakes were definitely not done so I slid a cookie sheet under the cupcake pan to catch the drippings (even though plenty of batter was on the bottom of the oven, burning away. Eek!) but I wanted them to at least finish cooking so we could have a little something to snack on.  Misshapen or not.

The minutes were ticking away and the smoke kept trickling out of the cracks of the oven, little by little.  I kept opening the oven every few minutes, just to see if there was anything on fire…..because we wanted our cupcakes dang it.  And the smoke was just the batter drippings burning off the oven bottom and racks.  So it was fine.  I kept poking at the cupcakes and they just weren’t firming up.  It was so weird.

Finally……..I gave up.  And pulled these suckers out.  Once they were out of the heat, they kind of, well, popped.  The centers were completely hollow.   Have you ever seen such ugly little cupcakes?

Let me first say that I don’t think it was one bit the fault of the recipe.

I have had cupcakes made from this recipe (I’m pretty sure they were from this recipe) and they were delicious.

So it had to be the baker.  Me.

And I cook gluten free all the time because that’s how I eat……..so I cook with weird flours and ingredients pretty often.

But was it really because I messed around with the agave nectar ingredient?  Was it not enough liquid?  Too much?  I really did only use 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.  And yes, only 2 eggs.  Those seem like the 2 reasons it could have really bubbled over like that…….and I know I used the right amounts of each.  So the only thing I can think of is the agave substitution.  I also haven’t used almond flour very much.  But when I made some cookies with almond flour a few weeks ago, they were really flat……not super-charged and bubbled up.

I told my little guy to give them a whiff…

And then told these guys to make their saddest boo-hoo-our-cupcakes-are-ruined faces.

Yeah, I was sad too.  These were supposed to be a yummy Sunday night treat.

But ruined or not, we were going to taste our Sunday night treat, dang it.  Turns out, the centers were slightly soft under that crusty top layer.

………and if you dipped it into the peanut butter frosting, which I made using the Martha Stewart recipe here (which was ohmygoodness……so delicious, after I tripled the sugar.  What frosting recipe only calls for 1/3 cup of sugar?!!)  it wasn’t so bad.  It tasted like a chewy/crispy brownie.

So we enjoyed a few bites of our disaster treats, and called it a good Sunday night.

Any ideas?  Did my agave nectar conversion really ruin it?  Or maybe I had a bad batch of almond flour?

Hmmmm…..wonder if it was my addition of water.  No clue.

After the 4 hour long self-cleaning session (which roasted the house), our oven needs a rest.

I’ll stick to crafting this week.

Comments

75 Responses to “Baking Disaster – Where did I go wrong?”
    Vista says:

Now THAT is funny! I’m glad I’m not the only one who has disaster baking experiences…at least you could still eat yours! Thanks for the laugh!

Holly says:

HAHAHA this is so funny! Thanks for posting your mishaps too, I’ve had a few of those! My 3 year old daughter saw the picture of the deflated cupcakes and said “it looks like a giant waffle!”.

Heidi says:

I am so glad I am not the only one that has disasters!

My nemesis are cookies. Yes, I can even ruin the ready to plop on the sheet kind too. They are officially hubby’s department!

Kate says:

Don’t you live in Colorado now? I had this EXACT same experience when I moved here from TX. The cupcakes overflowed the pan, then fell into little craters.

I discovered you have to adjust recipes for living at high altitude. I always check the box (if i’m using boxed stuff) for what to do above 5,000 ft. If you’re making from scratch, you have to adjust…. the sugar and water and flour ratio? I’m not a pro. I look online every time I bake to make sure I’m doing it right :)

molly says:

I agree – totally an altitude issue. I can make pretty decent muffins at 8000 feet, but never as successful with cupcakes, especially homemade. You can add meringue powder and that helps some with the “falling” issue.

Betsy says:

That’s so sad, and yet funny!!! I’m glad you muscled through and got your sweetness fix out of it anyway!! :-P Such a good mom!! :-D

HAHAHAHAHA so funny! Wow, am I ever happy that I am not the only one this stuff happens to. LOL! Except yours at least tasted like SOMETHING at the end. Love the kids’ faces ;)

Kathleen says:

I hate to say it but I never have much luck with gluten free recipes either! I once made a gluten free pizza crust and froze it then put in in the oven to heat WITHOUT A PAN because shoot you can do that with regular pizza right??? NO…. the entire thing just melted right through the rack. It was a serious mess. At least you got to get a taste in! :) Thanks for the post. Don’t give up. Maybe we’ll get better the more we try?
    Blessings!

Amanda says:

I live in western CO @ 5500 ft & generally don’t adjust my recipes because I forget. Sometimes you have to reduce your levener & add more liquid.

The agave nectar I’ve had was the consistency of slightly runny honey & tasted like plastic – yuck! I just sub honey whenever I come across it. I might make a simple syrup up to have on hand for agave substitutions too.

Silver says:

Oh do please try agave nectar again. You MUST have gotten some weird stuff because we use agave nectar for pancake syrup at my house and it tastes like honey and pancake syrup and fresh rain had a baby! And you don’t have to use so much of it because it IS super sweet! And NOTHING like plastic! I can’t even eat pancakes with regular pancake syrup anymore! We absolutely love the stuff and I’m going to be trying some agave nectar cupcakes very soon! I

• 9.1.1
        amanda says:

haha! Ok, I’ll try it again if it tastes like fresh rain AND a baby! Any brand suggestions? I tried wholesome sweeteners blue agave.

• 9.1.2
        paula says:

I know you didn’t mean it, but I’m picturing a dang cute baby; “like honey pancake syrup and fresh rain had a baby!” ROFLOL

I think it’s the altitude difference! The last time I was in CO, I had to make alterations to the cooking due to the decrease in pressure (from being higher in elevation). Also, water/liquids boil at lower temps @ higher elevations. I think I ended up raising the oven temperature 25 degrees (so instead of 350, it was at 375). One site I checked said that leavening gasses in cakes expand quicker…i.e., less baking powder. (Have you noticed if it takes longer for rice/noodles to boil?)

As an experiment, try making the same recipe again, doing the same substitutions you did before, but alter 4 things: (1) raise your oven temp by 25 degrees F, (2) put in less baking powder, (3) decrease your sugar, & (4) increase your liquid.

Here’s some helpful websites:

Sarah says:

I attempted my own flavor once by adding Monavie in place of the liquid called for…..bad results! They looked like yours, very sunken and all over the pan and they came out a funny color. I love trying though, that’s how all the good stuff has been discovered!

Vanessa says:

I do a lot of GF and CF baking and understand what a bummer it can be. You could substitute agave for maple syrup or honey.( Agave has the consistency of syrup).

That is very sad I have to admit. I cannot cook myself so please take no offense. You could use it as an excuse next time you don’t feel like cooking. I do :)

Kristi says:

Denver. That is your problem.
    My parents moved to Denver from Seattle and when I lived with them for a summer in college–this happened to everything “bread like” I made.
    Turns out–all “rising” ingredients need to be played with…a lot. High altitude baking stinks.
    I tried the same sweet chocolate bread recipe and finally after four batches and three explosive loaves…I came up with the correct amount of baking soda.
    Try it a few more times…

Jill says:

I have had that same experience! I made gluten free cupcakes and they did the same thing. I thought it might have been the flours I used. It was very sad! They looked exactly like yours did and created a huge mess in the oven as well! Better luck next time I guess!

Michele N says:

Love that you posted your mistake. Now we know you’re not the perfect wonder woman we all think you are! I made a cake for my daughter’s birthday party this year (which sadly none of her friends showed up for) and decorated it with modeling chocolate decorations, it looked good. I turned around to grab the candles and when I turned back to the cake, one of the decorations-a 3D purse had fallen off & taken part of the back of the cake with it. We all have our strong points and yours is definitely a sewing mind. Glad you got to enjoy them a little bit anyways.

jamieS says:

Ok, I have had some baking fails, but those cupcakes pictures are pretty darn funny! Everybody is blaming altitude and that makes sense, unfortunately I cant blame the altitude over here…

Sarah says:

It’s not an issue of altitude–Elana’s recipes are created here in Colorado, the same state you (and I) live in (or at least that’s what your site says?)–it’s an issue of moisture! 1/4 cup water was not nearly enough to substitute for the agave. Almond flour needs fats and liquids, and when cupcakes/cake deflate like that, it’s usually because of two things: 1. Underbaking (which wasn’t your problem here!), or 2. Not enough liquid. Honey is a very good substitute for agave (for 2/3 cup agave I’d substitute maybe 3/4 cup honey), although honey will make things brown a little quicker so you might want to reduce either the baking time or temperature. I’ve never substituted refined sugar for agave, so I have no exact calculation to suggest–but next time I would try adding 3/4 liquid if you want to use refined sugar again, and you could also try yogurt or milk instead of water for the liquid. Almond flour definitely takes getting used to! Next stop on the gluten-free baking circuit–check out coconut flour!

Tracy says:

I have no idea about high altitude cooking, but agave necter is awesome. It sweetens with out over kill and is much runnier than karo. It’s really, really good with puffed kashi cereal, you know…when you want healthy, but sweet. Good luck!

Angie says:

Ashley! You are simply adorable. Love that you made the cake and frosting :) They look yummy… and I think that you may be starting a new trend… sinking cupcakes are the perfect holders for extra extra frosting :)

P.S. I am definitely missing my morning-walking-buddy :)

Teri says:

I’m just as bad at baking, so I don’t do much, unless it came from a box! :) All I can say is at least you put a pan under your cupcake tin. I always forget and end up having to clean my oven later! At least scrubbing a cupcake tin is easier than scrubbing an oven. :) Hope you have better luck next time!

Argh- I hate baking at altitude! I don’t know if that was your problem or if it was all of the substitutions, but I have such poor luck here in CO. Last year I had to throw away 8 loafs of blueberry zucchini bread, and at Christmas my egg nog cake exploded all over my over like your cupcakes. It’s such a bummer. Sorry!

HW says:

Too funny! Thanks for sharing. I’m glad everyone else has days like this too.

Deanna says:

Hahaha! That is hilarious! When I was younger, I once made a white cake for Sunday, only the oven decided to break down while it was baking. When time came to take the cake out, the top was completely black and the bottom was not even done! I was kind of upset over it and my little sister saw that. So she whispered to my dad, “It’s black as a crow!” It’s a funny thing now, but then I was not laughing.

samantha says:

with nut flours, if you let the batter sit for about 30 minutes before you bake, you’ll have fluffy whatever it is you are making. The nuts just take a bit to get moist. At least they tasted ok :)

Becky says:

hahahahahhahah! awesome pics, especially the sad face one!!!

Melanie says:

Welcome to my LIFE!! I can ruin anything. It was Bisquick pancakes last week… we’ll see what is up for destruction this week. I’m glad to see you got a small kick out of it though- I usually run to the sewing room and lock myself away where mistakes are easily unpicked, and fixed! And then my kids eat cheerios :)

Lise says:

I am gluten-free too, and baking can be really tricky! Highly recommend glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com. I have not made any of her cupcakes, but lots of muffins and desserts, and they turn out great!

I loved to see that you ate them anyway – I do that!

Patti says:

Thanks for having the courage to show us your flop! That was pretty funny!

Mary-Beth says:

Loved that you guys ate them with frosting! So cute. In my experience, I’ve had muffins and cookies “deflate” like that because of opening and closing the oven door too often while they baked. Maybe that had to do with it?

Tami says:

First off, thanks for the laugh…I can totally relate. Second, thank you for being someone who posts about disasters, as well as successes. I’m kinda burned out (no pun intended) on all the “perfect” baking creations out there in blog-land, so this was truly refreshing. :)

Nadia says:

I agree with all the comments about the altitude.
    I actually bake my own bread and it took me months(!!! ) to figure out the right way to do it. I have a little blog about holistic nutrition (nobody reads it I think) but here is a gluten free muffin recipe http://holisticnutritionstuff.blogspot.com/2011/04/gluten-free-and-no-sugar-added.html
    and a bread recipe

baked goods dry out really fast in the altitude, so everything can use a little more moisture, that is why I put berries in everything gluten free and the bread is made with a lot of water , a lot of resting and not over mixing the dough.

By the way, I love, love, love your blog. I have made A LOT for my girls from your tutorials! Keep up the good work Mamma! (-;

Beth says:

I’ve had the same baking disasters—and in using recipes I had baked from for years. I thought something was wrong with my oven. It’s not an altitude problem either (I live in Georgia). Lowering the oven temperature by about 50 degrees or so can help, but after consulting many friends who enjoy cooking/baking, the consensus was that I baked using unsalted butter that sat at room temperature for too long. So try using salted butter, and don’t let it soften too long before mixing the batter. I hope that helps!

Catherine says:

Thank you for sharing your baking gone bad with us! I’m a new reader to your blog and I absolutely adore that you did this. It’s so often that we need to mess up to figure out the best way to do things, and it is so rarely that we see others that we look to for instructions/mentoring go through this path – we only see their already mastered version! Loving the blog and thanks for sharing.

Chelsea says:

Hmm, I grew up in Denver and we never had that kind of problem with baking, but I wasn’t baking gluten-free. Plus, if you lived in Rexburg before, I wouldn’t expect it to be much different. Rexburg is really high altitude as well. Maybe mess with the baking soda.

Awesome attempt! I don’t know much about making anything from scratch so thumbs up to you for giving it a go!

Caren says:

HAAAAAAHAAAAAAAHAAAAAA!!!!!! That’s hilarious! I thought only I had disasters like that! I can’t help you out on the agave nectar thing, I rarely use anything that doesn’t say “just add eggs and milk”. :)

Netty says:

I love Elana’s Pantry! I cook from there all the time! Just made her chocolate cake yesterday.

Yes…. it was most likely the lack of agave nectar. I get mine from Amazon using subscribe and save so it’s cheaper.

The almond flour must be from blanched almonds. She (and I) use Honeyville Farms Almond Flour but Bob’s Red Mill might now be making real almond flour (from blanched almonds). Before they used to only sell “almond meal” which wouldn’t work. Also, Elana measures everything using dry measuring cups (even the liquids)….sometimes that makes a difference too.

Sorry the sugar substitute didn’t work out. Elana lives in Boulder, CO so I doubt it’s an elevation problem. :)

Margie says:

Something similar happened to me one time when I was making sugar cookies. The dough was really runny and spread all over the place. They still tasted ok, but they did not look or taste like they should have. I realized that I had accidentally used baking soda instead of baking powder. Could that have happened in your case?

Dianne says:

I had a batch of gluten free cupcakes that looked just like this. I live at sea level so it was not an altitude problem. I substituted tapioca flour for potato flour because that is what I had and I thought maybe that was the problem. It is just as well they didn’t turn out because they tasted nasty. So maybe it was the recipe. I don’t know. All I know is that I usually don’t bake gluten free and I had never seen cupcakes do this before.

maria says:

I’m not really sure about the agave thing, but one thing for sure, I like the cupcake though, and I like those kind that are chewy and bursting with sweet softness on the inside. :)
    Take care and have a great day ahead babe!

Kallie says:

Ohh dear… looks like a fabulous adventure in baking. I bake all the time and the only reason i have every had cupcakes sink in like that was because of the amount of liquid. If i recall, I left out a cup or so of water and there were disastrous results much like yours in that photo. Hope this helps!

Tas says:

Just two words: oh. dear.

I don’t know much about gluten free cooking so I can only offer sympathy; not advice.

Christy says:

I am SO glad I’m not the only one this happens too! lol New follower. Have a great week!

I live in Cheyenne, which is a bit higher in elevation than Denver, and I used to have this happen often with cupcakes made from scratch. It’s one of my biggest frustrations. If you add in a 1/4 cup of flour for each cup of flour that the recipe calls for, it should help correct the problem. The cupcakes may just be a little more dense than you are used to. I do that little trick for all baked goods and it makes everything come out much better.

Hope that helps!

Mandi says:

Hi,
    As some of my mountain friends have told me for the past 9 years, “you live AT ALTITUDE!” Those of us lucky enough to live near (or on) mountains all have some baking disasters like this.

The only true remedy I’ve found is an excellent cookbook called “Pie in the Sky.”

The author used great recipes at sea level, and tested them at 3,000 ft, 5,000 ft, 8,000 ft, and 10,000 feet. She doesn’t believe in all the “altitude conversions” that are out there, and her book proves that those conversions just don’t work for many things. Most of her recipes include gluten, though, and I have no idea about gluten-free recipes.
    Good luck!

Ziva says:

Thanks for posting that, it’s good to see that someone you creates such wonderful things can still have the occasional disaster. It makes me feel a little better about myself.

serra says:

i had the SAME thing happen but it wasn’t a gluten free recipe. dont remember what it was now…. it really was the wierdest thing. can’t help you… Im still wondering the same thing!

Cindy says:

LOL…I just couldn’t help but laugh…I wrote a similar blog post yesterday on the giant cookie I made to celebrate my daughter’s 1st day of kindergarten…it spilt over as well, and I DID have a fire in my oven. But we salvaged it too ;) And you know what, I bet we’ll both remember sharing those treats with our loved ones even more than if they’d turned out PERFECT!!

celia says:

Hmmm. I am very interested in what went wrong. I am a former pastry chef, and I have screwed up PLENTY. We all start somewhere, my most memorable screw up was turning to talk to someone with a handmixer in a bowl of chocolate pudding. WOWIE did I make a mess. Anyhow, I wonder if you maybe screwed up your leavening? It looks like it puffed up huge, and never developed the structure to support itself.

You know, I am thinking and thinking and I could swear i made a carrot cake that came out similar. I ended up screwing up the baking soda and baking powder. I did it a few months ago. Parenthood has really messed with my ability to concentrate in the kitchen. I think it must have been the leavening. Though swapping a solid sweetener for a liquid probably did not help.

If you want to experiment with that again, try making a simple syrup with the water and twice as much sugar. Basically to get it to the correct viscosity. I have not used agave syrup, but that would get you to about a corn syrup consistency. A straight up simple syrup is 50/50, so doubling the sugar would make it more syrupy. It sounds like it would work. I’m not sure though, since I have never tried that myself.

If you are trying for gluten free, why not go for an icecream cake with an almond cake layer? I used to make an excellent cake that was three layers of almond cake , with espresso syrup and tiramisu ice cream. Or you could do a pavlova.

You want embarrassed? Try explaining to your family why even though you can do New Years Eve for 500, you screwed up a birthday cake for five. YEeeeah.

Kristen says:

I’m no expert, but my vote goes toward the sugar being the problem. Sugar does funny things, and it’s one of the reasons baked goods are so much pickier about being done by the recipe than other things. Too much sugar melts and changes the structure of whatever you’re making – think about making candy or something, and imagine that sticky sugary syrup hardening… then imagine it happening in your cupcakes! A lot of sugar makes things chewier and flatter, I believe. Maybe the baking soda was somehow weird, though, too? Who knows! :)

Echo says:

OMG! This happened to my chocolate chip cookies last night! I think it might have just been a fluke, because I have been using the same recipe for YEARS! I hope you figure it out soon!

Lora says:

Hahaha! I don’t have any suggestions what-so-ever, but just wanted to say thanks for sharing! A. It’s good to see that even the people who I think are pretty close to perfect (yep!) have mishaps too! haha! B. It was a good laugh! The pictures are hilarious!!

Lisa says:

I can’t help at all sorry but glad to know other people also have cooking disasters too. Your post made me laugh a lot – just what I needed after a long and bad day at work – so thanks and hope someone else can solve your mystery.

Irina says:

I don’t like cooking disasters as I am not really good at altering my expectations – if I am expecting a nice cake and it turns out crispier than a slice of toast bread, than I am not a happy bunny. However your cooking disaster made me smile!

Sandee says:

we had very similar looking cupcakes yesterday. with the altitude here (7500+ feet!) i always have to tweak things. his time the culprit was whipped egg whites.

Allison says:

hahaha! Too funny! Those are great pictures. My first thought was the altitude difference, too. I was born & raised in Colorado as a kiddo. Everytime my grandma would come and visit us from Florida, my dad would ask her to bake either her pound cake or her coconut-cream cake. (Both are oh so yummy!!!) She tried so many different times and tweaked the recipe this way & that way, everytime convinced that she had figured it out and it would work that time. But sadly it never worked. :( It made visiting Grandma in Florida all the sweeter.

Gealean says:

I think if you had just switched it with honey you would have been better off… Or maybe made a simple sugar syrup…

I mean to say, I think the lack of a syrup would have been more detrimental to the recipe than the sugar useage. :)

Robin says:

As a food scientist, my vote is too much leavening for the strength of what the solids can provide.

Jean says:

Ok… I laughed out loud! That is really funny… and sad… but really funny! : )

michelle says:

I am sorry it didn’t turn out for you! I made them tonight for my mother in law because I thought if Ashley would use this recipe then it must be good! I live in Colorado and I used Agave and they turned out wonderful! I didn’t try them, but my mother in law said that it is the best chocolate gluten free cupcake she has ever had! Thanks for the recipe, and try again you will not be disappointed! (although i am sure you already worked that out!)

shannon paterson says:

It HAS to be altitude. Baking up here can be tricky. Its not you!

Andrea says:

I vote for the sugar too… It’s acidic (Agave probably is not). These raised (obviously) before they even got hot in the middle. I think you had a chemical reaction to the % acid to soda.

Might try to test (or locate a recipe) with a mix of baking powder & lower amount baking soda. They do 2 things (If I remember my 4H clases). Soda – quick rise needs acid & heat. Powder slow rise needs liquid to activate.

Also – if you use soda you can let the mixture set. Powder can lose it’s rising pwer if let to set too long (soaking the grains)

Jennifer says:

That is too funny. I apologize for having a good laugh at your expense. We just started experimenting with gluten free recipes. I think they are really tricky and hard! The only thing I have learned so far, stick to the recipe. I haven’t been brave enough to substitute yet. Best of luck on your next attempt!

Milly says:

I think they are cute. Fill them with fruit, ice cream, whipped topping–something.

DEE says:

it’s b/c u kept opening the oven, for one, also, u filled the cups too much (why they baked over) and yes, probably too much liquid..nxt time just add a touch more flour or less liquid. good luck, n thx for the story.

Alexandra says:

Haha! Too funny. I remember the first time I tried to make a chocolate cake my self, which had alot of oil in it. I must’ve done something wrong cause the mixture started boiling in the oven and the oil seperated and went everywhere, ew. :(

me says:

(i realize how long ago this was, but hear me out) so in home ec. i learned that over stirring the batter in breads made them not able to rise. Mabee it was just backwords with you?

Ome says:

Hi, I know it is a long back that published. Sorry.

BUT, I NEVER LAUGHED TOO HARD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.:)

I too make some disasters while cooking.

Keep up good work. All the best.