A whole lotta ‘this and that’ (plus a fantastic COOKBOOK for charity)

Yeah, a whole lot of housekeeping today on the blog.

(I kinda wish someone would knock on my real door and shout “housekeping”.

I would lead them right to my bathrooms.  And then the kitchen sink.)

Okay, so first of all……….thanks for letting me know if you’re seeing the blog or not (read here if you’re confused).  I will keep trying to figure out what’s going on.  And if you are one of the one’s who can’t see any of the updated posts and then all of the sudden can, will you send me an email? (ashley {at} makeit-loveit {dot} com) That would be the best news ever!

And then I’ll know if progress is being made.  Tsk, tsk……technology.

(P.S. I do have a search bar on this blog.  It’s down on my sidebar on one of the tabs in that box where my picture is.  Okay, okay, so now I realize it’s kinda hidden.  I’ll work on that.  Sorry!)

. . . . . . .

Next…….thank you, thank you for all of your love/hate experiences with both PCs and MACs. (Remember this post?)  Both are useful in their own way. Both serve a different audience.  I just wasn’t sure where I fit in.  Your comments helped and some really made me aware of the faults of both the PC and the MAC…..and then, of course, all of the pros.

Anyway, we thought and thought and stewed over it (I know, totally not a life altering decision……) and we decided on this one.

She’s sleek, she’s beautiful, and she’s speedy.   Oh, and simple to learn.  And not as ornery as my old PC.  (But he was old in computer years…..so give him some slack.)  And I do have to agree with everyone that said Apple’s customer service is awesome.  It was.

(And nope, not being compensated.  At all.)

Oh, I do have to say that the only thing that frustrates me and slows me down, is iPhoto.  Uggggh.  I was just so used to Picasa……and iPhoto doesn’t have all of the functions I was used to with Picasa.  At least I don’t think it does.  I really liked moving photos around within a folder, tagging them, auto-selecting all of the tagged ones, moving them to the top of the folder, deleting the others, etc.  And then when I do anything in photoshop, it doesn’t seem to make the adjustment in iPhoto.  Am I crazy?  Because I really like the simple edits it does, way better than Picasa.  And I like how much you can do in it, without needing photshop every time.  I just need to play with it for a few hours, I guess.    Hmmmm….

But everything else has been a pretty quick transition.  And really easy to figure out.  And those fast keys/hot keys/speedy keys…..whatever they are.  I like them.  Maybe my PC had them.  But I never used them.

Anyway, she’s a keeper.  And a good little desk top.  She’s staying.  (Don’t ask me why I call it a she.)

. . . . . . .

Another thing……..summer is speeding by.  And I realized today that we need to fit in a bit more of this:

I’m just happy that even though we had to leave the beaches in GA, we found some new beaches in CO.  They are lake beaches and are almost as fun.  (We miss those waves.)

. . . . . . .

And finally……..I must tell you about something fantastic

More than 50 bloggers donated one of their favorite recipes to be complied into an incredible cookbook, designed by chickabug (design talent was 100% donated as well).  All proceeds from this great little cookbook are being donated to the American Red Cross to help those affected by recent natural disasters.

And guess what?  The cookbook is only $10.  Yep, $10.

I was contacted right after the disaster in Japan, by some fellow bloggers who really wanted to pool together for a great cause.  I donated a recipe of my own to contribute to the book and am so glad others were willing to do the same.  At first, the cookbook was only going to be an e-book……..

………but there was enough interest in a physical cookbook, that both are now available.  And both are priced at the very lowest price possible, while still being able to donate some money to the Red Cross.

There’s a picture with each recipe and a brief bio of the blogger who submitted the recipe.  And most are just simple and fun recipes………perfect for a fun little collection of some tried and true recipes.  And for $10, it’s a definite must have.  Great price, great recipes, all proceeds go to charity.  Everyone wins.

Go here to see what the cookbook looks like on each page.  Click on the title “Recipes to Help” and then “next page” too see each page.  Gorgeous, huh?

So if you’re a laptop/kindle sort of recipe user……..the e-book is perfect for you.  But if you prefer an actual cookbook (and the quality of this book is fantastic)………the book will serve you well.  Both will make you happy and both will serve a great cause.

Click here to purchase an e-book or an actual copy of your own.

Please note:  Cookbooks are only available August 15th -  August 31st.

I hope you’ll like it.  And I hope we can all feel good contributing to a really great cause.

*The American Red Cross name is used with its permission, which in no way constitutes an endorsement, express or implied, of any product, service, company, individual or political position. For more information about the American Red Cross, please call 1-800-HELP NOW or email [email protected].

Comments

53 Responses to “A whole lotta ‘this and that’ (plus a fantastic COOKBOOK for charity)”
    Anna says:

You can use Picasa on Mac. I do.

Courtney says:

I use Aperture on my Mac, it has all of the nice features that you were talking about. But I’ve never tried Picasa.

NikkIFB says:

I think a lot of people use Picasa on their Macs. I just forced myself to use iPhoto, but you’re right, it does take some getting used to. As far as I know, if you are editing, Photoshop and iPhoto will not talk to each other (iPhoto doesn’t save every version that’s on your harddrive the way Picasa does) so you have to save the edited version to your desktop and then drag it back into iPhoto again. Maybe someone out there knows a workaround? It took me quite awhile to get used to how iPhoto functions (and I know I still don’t know all it will do!) but now that I have my routine with it, I love it, even for my digi scrapbooking stuff. Enjoy your new Mac–we love ours!! :)

Amy says:

Congrats on the new computer. The cookbook sounds like a fun idea!

This is totally unrelated, but I don’t know if you have any way of knowing! I pinned your paper towel butterflies on Pinterest and have over a hundred repins despite the fact that I have less than ten followers. It must be making the rounds! I hope you got some traffic from it! It’s such a cute project.

Awesome…….thanks so much! I have no idea to see how many times my posts are pinned. But that’s very flattering…..thank you!

thenewleaves says:

Which lake? I’m an easterner living in CO and I am sad to say i’ve been a water snob.

I am still not getting new posts. I got to this one via facebook. As much as I love the breezy skirt, I would love to get your new posts also. Good luck figuring it out.

Forgot to mention, I use Firefox and I have refreshed, restarted, updated, etc.

• 6.1.1

Did you try going to “File” then “History” then “Clear History”?? That should clean it out for you and allow you to see the newest posts. Let me know if that does it for you. Wow, I wish this would clear up so it’s not so hard for some of you to see.

Crossing my fingers.

Angie says:

I like the way your welcome, search, archives thingy is set up – but if it were at the TOP of the column, it would help a LOT! I have used the search multiple times and it is easy, but just a little tricky to find as you said.

Debra says:

Download Picasa for Mac here. I tried and I tried to love iphoto, but I just don’t, so I was thrilled when they finally came out with a mac Picasa!

Holly says:

Yeah, Picasa works great with Mac as well! So totally check it out! :)

sarah w says:

please let me know where these beaches in co are?? we are located in aurora, outside of denver and i would love to know where these are!!

jen says:

I can see the post. pretty new laptop – we need a new one soon too….

Shay says:

Showed up on my GFC posts…..can’t wait to get the cookbook! TFS

Kacey says:

I also just got an iMac…and I also don’t like iPhoto. I downloaded Picasa for Mac and am happy as a clam. :)

aimee says:

I’m not getting the new posts either although they show up on my google reader. I use Firefox. Good luck getting it fixed.

I use Picasa all the time on the Mac. I don’t remember how I got it, but it was free. Or you can edit online at the Picasa website. easy peasy. I used to use Iphoto all the time but since I got Picasa I don’t think I’ve even opened it! have fun, you’ll love the Mac.

Dara says:

i am obsessed with my iMac. :) i hope you love it and get much use out of her. :)

Valerie Nelson says:

Good call going with the Mac… you won’t be disappointed! I LOVE my Mac and it’s 4 years old and going strong! :) I’m still having trouble finding your older posts when they are tagged in a new post… but I can see all your new posts just fine.

mlb says:

The link for seeing a page of the cookbook does not seem to work for me. I am not sure why – I just get the message “Bad Gateway”. Is anyone else having this problem? I’d love to see a page in the book!

Hmmmm…..that’s strange. It’s working for me but I wonder if anyone else is having your same problem. Here is the link to preview the cookbook: https://www.papercoterie.com/promo/recipes-to-help/

And you can buy the ebook or the cookbook here: http://recipestohelp.bigcartel.com/

Hope that helps!

• 18.1.1
        Jennifer says:

I’m having issues with the link also. I can get there and see the cookbook, but I’m unable to get to the page that I can actually pay for it. The link that you have to buy the book just routes you back to the other link that’s for viewing. I really want to buy one!!!

• 18.1.1.1

Oh, weird. Okay, so when you click over the Paper Coterie site, can you click on the book and then “create the book”? Then add it to your cart and purchase it??? I ordered one earlier today and it went through for me. Give that a try and if it doesn’t work, let me know. So sorry for all the trouble.

Thanks,

Liz says:

That computer is so so so so pretty!!! I am so so so so so envious :) {but in a good happy for you way!!} If you love Picasa you can download it for free onto your Mac – and then you can have it sync with your web account!! Makes uploading/sharing/blogging pics sooooooooooo much easier!!!

Heidi says:

HATE my iphoto too. I made the leap to Mac in the spring. I love it, but still have bumps in the road after being a PC for so many years. But like saying “I’m a Mac” now!

Coley says:

What an awesome cookbook!!

Rachael says:

To tag picture in iphoto click Command + Period (.) it will flag your fav’s. Then you just click on the “Flagged” tab on the left side to see just those. If you want extra editing options click on one picture, then edit in the bottom corner.

To save after editing in Photoshop you do have to save in another folder. iPhoto and Photoshop aren’t compatible.

You can save in another fold, then drag and drop- (Reimport to iphoto) if you want to.

I would love to answer more question while you try to get used to your Mac. If you need more help email me at [email protected]

It takes some playing around, but once you get it down you’ll love it.

Good luck!
    Rachael

Thanks for the tips. I’ll have to play around and see if I can work with it just as quickly and get in a good routine. I’d like to make it work…….so I’m going to try this out!

About the site issues…I noticed that if I click on the site name from my blogger dashboard it no longer takes me to your most current post, but if I click on the post name I can still read it. I just checked and this still seems to be the case because when I click to the site name it shows your newest post as being the one about full and textured fabric flowers. Hope that helps!

Annie says:

Great choice! I love my Mac. And I’m sure you call it a “she” because she’s just too pretty to be a boy.

Sarah says:

Yay for Mac!! We just bout our first iMac after having had a couple of MacBooks. It’s such a nice, pretty desktop. =) I saw someone else post it, but you can download Picasa for Mac. I have it on my MacBook and it works really nice. And it SHOULD import your photos from iPhoto, but the changed you make in Picasa won’t be saved in iPhoto. The two don’t communicate with each other. In fact, I don’t think iPhoto communicates with any other photo editing software, but you can organize them into albums {folders}…and I’m pretty sure you can leave a description underneath every photo. It also has a feature called Faces that will allow you to “tag” everyone you take pictures of and it should recognize new pictures of them in the future.

Thank you, thank you……….I need to play around with it more. And the face thing, I saw that in there but had no clue what it was about. Pretty cool!

Natalie says:

I think you call your new toy ‘she’ is BECAUSE she’s sleek & pretty & fast. (Men are generally bumpy & slow.)

Annie says:

Welcome to the Mac family… once you go Mac you’ll never go back… I’ve had an iMac for 4 years.. just bought my second macbook air (gave the first one to my dad).. have iPhone, iPods and if they made an iToaster I’d have one too! LOL.. there are some things that iPhoto doesn’t have.. the next step up is aperture.. the good thing is you can go into the Apple store and they will give help you figure out iPhoto.. and help you with complex projects if you get the one to one for a year (which is SO worth it if you live close to an Apple store)… anyhow.. congrats..

Thanks Annie……and going to the Apple store is a good idea. I may look into that. The only bummer is that the store is like 45 minutes away. Hmmmmm……I’ll have to see. Thanks again!

Jennifer P says:

iPhoto is the devil! It is absolutely impossible to work with and copies your files in all sorts of weird places. Definitely stick with Picasa or upgrade to Aperature. I’m learning Aperature right now and it seems awesome.

Queith says:

You can install Picasa in a Mac, too! :)

Emily says:

Another request for good lakes in Colorado! We go to the Soda Lakes in Bear Creek Park in Morrison sometimes. It’s nice but busy and not much shade at all.

Anja says:

Congrats on the new mac..
    I never blame anyone for switching, but I’m happy as a clam with the ability to right click! LOL
    (Oh and PCs do have keyboard commands the same way Macs do. Its a toggle with the windows key. I type a lot faster than I do taking my hand away from the keyboard to click on the mouse, so I learned all the keyboard commands for windows. Little things like ‘windows/E’ opens Windows Explorer (or My Computer), ‘windows/r’ opens the run command. Typing ‘calc’ opens the calculator. Typing ‘MSTSC’ opens the Remote Desktop Client (this is important to a computer tech), or CMD for the command prompt.

Love the cook book idea! Thank you for sharing!

And It looks like the lake was a ton of fun! I may be heading back to CO tomorrow, unfortunately for a funeral – but would much rather sit and talk shop..

I had to learn how to install an invisible zipper tonight (altering 2 ackward fitting cheer uniforms), and kept telling myself “Ashely could probably do this in her sleep, so suck it up and just do it.” so while indirectly – thank you for your help! LOL

Subha says:

Congrats on your awesome new computer!,

Another great program is Lightroom. The thing about aperture that I don’t like is that it maanages folders and pictures the same way that iPhoto does. Lightroom on the other hand shows you your actual folder structure, so you don’t have to make new folders within it. Plus, you can drag and move pictures from one to another very easily. It is AWESOME. if you go to the adobe Lightroom site, you can download the full version for a 30d free trial, and then decide if you want to buy it or not. It is the BEST!!!! Hope at helps!

Lesley says:

You mentioned that you have photoshop? If you have the full version of photoshop beginning with PS3 (not photoshop elements) you can use Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) to make quick edits. It’s amazing.

Let me know if you have the full version and I can tell you how to access it. It will change your life.

Also, what might change your life with blogging is the ability to do screen “grabs.” Unlike a screen shot that snaps a portrait of the entire screen( which would stink for me since I too have a 27″ iMac- love it!), you can tell it where to take the picture. So, instead of having to resize, sharpen, and save an image for the web, you can just do a screen grab and it will show up on the web EXACTLY as you see it on your computer screen… it even creates a handy dandy .png file on your desktop. Super easy, fabulous result. Try it: hold down COMMAND+SHIFT+4 . A little target will appear and from there you just click in the corner of where you’d like your “screen grab” to start, and then release when you finish. Easy peasy. Then again, you have your watermark to think about. Just something to think about!

All my posts are made up of screengrabs from Bridge with two side-by-side images…

Let me know if you have any questions!

L

Okay, first of all Lesley……..your photography is stunning! Can we be real close friends so I can weasel my way into your photog schedule? :)

And yes, I do have photoshop cs5 and so YES, tell me about the bridge and ACR thing. I have no clue…..I’m such a rookie.

And I did just learn a couple of days ago that you can take a screen shot the size you want it…..but you can use that exact screenshot as the image? I wouldn’t have thought they would be as good of quality.

Thanks so much for all the tips. I know you’re probably a busy lady, but email me if you get a second: ashley {at} makeit-loveit {dot} com

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. Y2z Blog says:

Czech Cookbook…

[...] akes north of Denver. This one we went to was called “Boyd Lake” between Lov [...]…

2. [...] Remember the cookbook that was created as a way to earn money to donate to the Red Cross?  (read more here) [...]

3. [...] Remember th&#1077 cookbook th&#1072t w&#1072&#1109 m&#1072d&#1077 &#1072&#1109 a way t&#959 earn money t&#959 donate t&#959 Th&#1077 Red Cross?  (read more here) [...]