Our 4th of July…….and a trip to the ER

First of all, I hope you all enjoyed your 4th of July.

(non-celebrators……are you tired of all of the 4th of July posts yet?)

But before all of that 4th of July chat…..

……..we kicked off our weekend by checking out the local hospital on Sunday.

You know, since we’re new and all…….we just wanted to see what it was like in there.  ;)

But really, it was the kindest staff and quickest visit I’ve ever experienced at an ER.  Maybe everyone was out of town.  Or maybe the hospital was just exceptional.  Either way, we have found our new favorite spot for all things emergency.  However, I hope to never step foot in there again.

This little lady fell backwards into a 5 foot window well and split open the back of her head.  You know, to the skull.  Gross, sorry.  (The PA taking care of her asked if I was okay after taking a look for myself.  Ick.)  A 5 minute drive to the hospital, 2 panicked parents, and 6 staples later (we tell her that they’re bandaids)…….she’s good as new.  The nurse brought her a new puppy (she named Curly) and a cup of juice and she perked right up.  Bless her little heart.

(No, I didn’t have my camera……this was taken with a phone camera.)

She had no other injuries.  None.  We’re pretty grateful.

By the next day, she was rested and back to her free-spirited little self.  Hallelujah.

So we covered up those staples and headed to the park in the evening and waited for the fireworks to begin.

This big sister is smitten with her baby sister.

And guess who turned 4 months old?  Bless this wee one for bringing more joy into our home.

Happy Independence Day America. I’m grateful to live on your soil.

Comments

72 Responses to “Our 4th of July…….and a trip to the ER”
    Amy Caroline says:

OH poor thing!!! I am so glad she is alright.

Lisa says:

My 2 yr old just had her first round of staples last month. OUCH! Those kind of boo boos are no fun (and maybe even worse for us moms). I will let you know they DO NOT hurt at all coming out. Glad to hear that was the worst of her injuries.

tinajo says:

YIKES – I´m so glad it turned out well. I´ve experienced similar with my oldest three times (he had a clumsy age around 5) and I know the panic – oh my goodness. It´s so great that there are sweet people working at the hospitals.

Wonderful pics! :-)

Jennifer C says:

Oh goodness! I bet that was SO scary! I’m glad she’s ok. Your littlest one is TOO cute… love that gummy grin!

Oh my gosh! How scary :( Glad she is ok and in good spirits. I don’t know if I could handle looking {ick is right}
    Hoping no more boo boo’s like this for any of your children.

Oh man Ashley, that is a close call! My daughter almost died falling out of our second story window 15 feet. See drama, see blog. You’re really blessed she was okay like that. Put a nail or something in your windows to ensure they open no more than four inches. At least everything was okay.

Jennifer says:

Poor baby, last summer my little girl (then 2) split the top of the bridge of her nose open. She was jumping on the bed and her forehead met the headboard. Needless to say we were in the ER, after all was said and done the doctor gave her some great advice “No, more Monkeys jumping on the bed”, McKenna agreed completely.

Hannah says:

I’m so glad she’s okay! How scary!

Jennifer says:

Oh no!!! Poor sweet girl!! So happy to see her smiling in the last few pictures. Hope mommy and daddy are recovering too ;0)

Kristen says:

What a brave girl! I can’t imagine having to take my daughter to get staples. Ick. I am glad you all still had a great fourth! I love all your photos too. :)

Amber says:

I feel for you…We also visited our local ER. My 4yr old fell off a chair and broke her wrist. She said her little cousin pushed her. of course with the holiday, we got to wait an extra day to see a specialist to see if she needed surgery (She Doesn’t) and get a real cast…water proof of course!

Hannah says:

My 14 month old split his forehead open 4 months ago when he fell down a set of three stairs. He had to have 8 stitches and since our closest hospital is 45 minutes away and it was a head wound on a baby, we took the good old ambulance (still paying off that bill, ouch!). He took the whole ordeal much better than I did. It turns out I completely freak out when there is a gaping head wound on my baby. Who knew?
    Good thing hers was on the back of her head so no one will be able to see the scar. My son will no doubt show his scar off when he gets older, but girls don’t usually get into that macho behavior quite so much, lol.

Liz says:

So glad she’s okay. Great pics of your Fourth!

Oh how scary! Poor thing. Glad to see she was still able to enjoy the holiday!

Beth says:

What a brave little one you have! Happy to see it didn’t slow her down for your 4th of July celebration. Smiles~Beth

Suzanne says:

Wow! So glad all worked out so well! Such cuties your kids are together.

Zerique says:

What a courageous baby girl and a quick recoverer might I add. Looks like y’all had an amazing might holiday despite the setback!!!

Kiery says:

I had a similar accident at that age and I have the scars from six staples as well. It leaves a wicked cool scar right across the back of your head. Makes for a cool pigtail look! Glad she’s okay, sounds like she took it better than I did. I became hysterical when they said staples because I thought they’d use a giant stapler on my head!

Melissa says:

We, too, made a trip to the ER this weekend. Our 22 month old fell forward into the corner of a wall and split his head open. Thankfully they were able to use glue so he was up to no good just a few short hours later!

HW says:

Glad everything turned out ok. I’m amazed you have your camera even in the ER! Your pictures always look great–can you share in a post what camera you use, some photography tips, and any resources you’ve found helpful?

Jill says:

glad she was ok.

My 6 yo DS hit the top of his head while playing on a jungle gym…it sliced his head to the skull. An ambulance ride in the middle of rush hour, and 7 staples later he was fine (didn’t cry the whole time, me on the other hand freaked out as soon as my husband got there!). That was our welcome to our new home, we had been here all of 3 weeks. We haven’t been back to a playground since. He now has a large horseshoe shaped scar on the top of his head.

Good thing kids are so tough!

Amy ♥ says:

Oh no! I just had a flashback to last summer when my oldest split open her eyebrow and had to visit the ER for 5 stitches(our first time too). She got a little lion that she named Stitches and she still sleeps with him every night. I’m so glad that your daughter is ok, kids are so resilient!

Brenda says:

I will always know how old your youngest bambino is because I had my first on the 3rd of March and I know you had your daughter shortly before. You have the most beautiful kiddos!! :) I am so sorry your daugher got hurt. Sounds like you need to buy some Window-well grates.

Lindsay says:

Oh no! So glad she is okay and there were no other injuries!!

Elena says:

poor little monkey – that picture is heartbreaking! so glad it wasn’t worse – and she seems all better now! the 2 sisters together are so sweet.

jamieS says:

Poor Baby! I’m glad she is ok. I can imagine how scary it was for you…
    ~JamieS@ Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom

Michele says:

I’m sure it was way worse for you. I’m so glad they got her stitched up and happy so quickly and efficiently. Now go bubble wrap those babies! ;)

Kiersten says:

I think it’s the season for ER visits. My daughter broke her elbow (of course the week before swimming lessons started) and ended up with 2 pins and a cast. I’m glad your little one is okay! It’s so scary to be parents sometimes!

Janice says:

Scary! Glad she’s ok! Your kids are adorable!

Cory P. says:

So happy she’s ok! I love that you brought your camera with. We had an ER visit with our 3 month old in June & everything was ok but I wished I would have had my camera with to document our little adventure.

Amy Eldredge says:

I am so glad she is ok!!!

We also kicked of our 4th of July weekend by visiting the ER for the very first time, our 3 year old tried to hang from a tall pedestal table, while he fell backward and the table bounced of his forehead, he was 100% fine. But it maybe for a exciting holiday weekend! (however we weren’t as impressed with our local ER)

stephanie says:

Ouch! My 10 year old had something like this happen when he was about 5, super scary!
    Im glad to hear shes ok.

Wendy says:

So glad she’s okay!
    But you know, you haven’t truly lived until you’ve been to the ER two nights in a row! For the same kid but two completely different problems. When the panic was finally over I was sure I was officially initiated into the ‘mommy club’. Because you’re not truly initiated until you’ve been thrown up on, pooped on, and been to the ER!

Michele says:

Sorry to hear about your little adventure to the hospital. Happy to see it turned out okay. You have a beautiful family! xoxo michele

Tracy says:

Glad she’s good! My husband was ordered to sit after watching our daughter get an IV in her head. He about fainted. Did you by chance add any ruffles to her bandage? Just a thought! :) Looks like everyone had a great time watching the birthday celebration!

Oh my God! That is so scary!!! I am so happy she is doing alright!!!!

I am so glad she’s okay!!!! I can’t even imagine!! My heart was in my throat reading about it.

Your little one is absolutely gorgeous-adorable, too!

Michele N says:

Glad to see she got to enjoy the festivities after all! We actually made it through a holiday without a visit to the ER, that doesn’t happen very often in our family. The girls are so cute together, the littlest one is an absolute doll!

mekei says:

come to think of it, i’ve spent Christmas and Thanksgiving there as well.

Yikes! That is always scary when your child gets so banged up. Glad she is okay and you were able to enjoy the holiday weekend.

Sarah says:

Wow, scary! I’m glad she is ok. I hate it when things like that happen, it’s so scary; but at least it turned out all right. Happy 4th!

Diana says:

Oh I’m so sorry she fell and hurt herself; glad all is better now. Kids are such good healers and bounce back so well. Wonderful, huh? Love the celebration pics.

Karie says:

Wow, what a scary experience! I’m glad to hear your daughter is okay! You have a beautiful little bunch! You know your oldest daughter always has the cutest hair-dos…have you considered doing a post about all the different styles you use? With my two girls, I’m always looking for new ideas! Just a thought :)

tanja says:

We do not celebrate 4th of July in Germany, but we’re as panicked as any other parent, when our children get injured. I hope you all could celebrate the little wonder, that nothing else but a few staples in the head was necessary.

Have a better 5th of July! ;-)

Anja says:

Oh Im so glad she is okay!!!!

Our house in Colorado had those same window wells, and I made sure we had grates over them before we moved into the house – I could just see something like that happening!
    (And in our move to Colorado, we were introduced to the local hospitals right away too! The new Children’s hospital was still being built in Denver, but with in 2 weeks of it opening we were there having surgery! lol)

Dakota says:

I did the same thing she did when I was that age.. I thought I was going to die on the way to the hospital…. Lol but our weekend was great.

Melissa says:

Poor big sister! I can sympathize, our weekend started off with a semi emergency dental surgery for my 3 year old. She had to have a root canal. It makes you feel so horrible when you can’t do anything for their pain. Glad she is all right!!

Spring says:

Oh my goodness! I’m so glad she’s okay! What a trooper she is!

Janice McElheny says:

How scary… Thank God your little girl is okay!
    I have been reading your blog for so long now I feel like your family is my family.
    I will pray for continued healing!

Oh how scary. I am glad she is alright. You little 4 month old newbie is adorable.

Barbara says:

I fell off a playground structure and split my head open when I was three. I still remember my mom (the RN) driving me to the ER with a worried look on her face. I had towels under my head, and lots of blood (sorry, there was). I healed up good as new. (At least I think I did . . . maybe I could have won the Nobel Prize had I not done that . . . hm, something to ponder.) Anyway, the rest of my life, each new hairdresser asks me if I know that I have a scar on the back of my head. I always respond, “You’re the first one ever to tell me that!” It’s not a bad scar to have. Only your hairdresser knows for sure.

Glad she’s okay. They’re beautiful, by the way.

Sarah Corn says:

Our daughter was bit by a copperhead this weekend so we had a trip to the ER and a hospital stay this weekend. Something about the 4th this year…

Nicole says:

WOW! Brave little chickadee! I’m so glad she’s okay. What a scary thing, though! God bless!

louise says:

Oh, my!! Glad to hear everyone is ok! I know that’s scary. This weekend my son fell off a swing and bit the inside of his lip. There was blood and one scared Momma. I can’t imagine a real gash that needed super duper bandaids! Scary!! Glad the rest of the day turned out fun.

Amy says:

Oh my word! I am so glad she is ok!

Connie says:

I am so glad she is ok! How scarey for all of you. I do have to say that there are some good hospitals/doctors here in the Denver area.

Thank goodness all is well and she got to enjoy the fireworks!

Glad she is ok! How scary. As for the blood on the shirt- rinse it out with hydrogen peroxide and you will never know the blood was there.

Cindy says:

Oh my, so glad to hear she is ok. May she recover quickly and love the outfits your beautiful children had on for 4th July Celebrations.

Sharon Thomas says:

I had to laugh when I read this. Several years ago, when my husband was leaving the Marine Corps, my 8 year old daughter fractured her arm doing handstands in the back hall. A visit to the base ER, and they had me come back the next day to have her casted. On my arrival home, I discovered the little girl across the street had scratched my 12 year old son’s eye. I told my husband he was taking said son to the ER because I was NOT going in there 2 days in a row with my children!

Sharon Thomas says:

I’m sure your daughter will be fine. But how are you holding up?

Bonnie Ditto says:

Scary huh? Had one child who has fallen over, fallen off or fallen on anything within range! Other 4 children have not had even one stitch! Precious, brave girl! Both of you! Your children are so beautiful. I enjoy the updates and pictues.

Oh my goodness! Poor girl, and poor parents! I can only too well empathize with the feeling you must have had in the pit of your stomach, and we haven’t even had anything nearly that bad for some reason. (Its only a matter of time, with Olivia.)

That big-baby-smiles picture just brightened up my evening. I love it! I just want to give her a great big squish! I have a pair of bigsister babysister who adore each other over here too and it just makes my day, every day, to see them interact with each other.

Jen says:

This makes me sick for you. Poor little thing. So glad she’s okay!

Oh my word. How absolutely terrifying for you all. So very glad she’s OK.

B. Moore says:

She’s a real beauty and so is the smallest member of the family with those beautiful big eyes.
    I can only agree and say with the others…Thank goodness she is alright. There is a product called “Emla” cream. an over-the-counter medication, at the pharmacies here in Canada. Might’nt be a bad idea to get some, to apply to the area of the staples for a few hours pre-removal time. Staples can sting a bit when taken out and this cream is a topical freezing agent. Works great!!! Trust me… after having mass numbers of staples removed, post a right total knee replacement a few tears back; I made sure I used this prior to the staples coming out of my left knee replacement, this past May.
    When it comes to wee ones….the less pain the greater the gain.

Best of luck to you and hubby.

Brenda in Oshawa Ontario

Oh my goodness, I wish I would have known about this before having the staples removed this morning. Ouch!! There was a little drama, poor thing! But they’re out now. But I’m going to write this down…….”in case” there’s a next time.

Thanks!

Kimberly says:

Good to hear she is okay!

BTW – That cake looks amazing!

Jen says:

Oh poor sweetie!! We had a similar head injurty last year with my daughter who, at the time, was a month shy of 3. She was jumping on her brother’s bed and fell against the window frame and split the back of her head open. Her beautiful almost white-blonde hair had a terrible crimson streak down the back and I was sure that it would stain for ages! We ended up with 5 staples and our hospital staff (Summerville Medical Center in Summerville, SC) was amazing. Thankfully we didn’t need to visit them again in our time in South Carolina but I was relieved to have found somewhere amazing if I ever needed it.

So glad your princess is feeling better…and tell her that the staples don’t hurt one bit coming out! (As per my now 4 yr old, completely healed-so-you-can’t-even-see/feel-the scar daughter :) ).

Karen says:

So happy your little girl is OK, except for the staples. How scary for parents when things like that happen! Been there, done that!

Your children are all beautiful and the baby is adorable…love her pretty blue eyes and smile!

I read your blog post about your trip Texas for the blogger get together sponsored by Michaels. I love that store too! How lucky you were to have this opportunity. Looks like you were all treated royally. I’m looking forward to reading more about Michaels.

Take care, Karen

Kids are AMAZING like that! So glad she’s doing well and wasn’t hurt too badly :) I’m sure that was TERRIFYING for you though!

Amy says:

One word: OUCH!!!! Posting in 2013, I know, a couple years later. My older girls, ages 10 and 8, are smitten with their baby sister as well. Aren’t baby sisters so much fun?

Amy says:

And America is the perfect place to live. Fourth of July is amazing. With the parade and ice cream social every Fourth of July morning in our neighborhood. Then a bunch of neighbors set off fireworks at night and one day we’re planning on doing that.