One Day Down…

Oh, the agony of packing everything up, organizing it into boxes, and then cleaning out your old home.  Not my favorite.

However, that feeling you get after driving away when the car is finally packed and the last bags of trash are thrown away……….love it.

Moving is exhausting. But it’s always an adventure.

We packed up everything into those UBoxes (remember yesterday’s post?) and while filling up the car with gas (2 hours after departure) in Macon, GA, Shiquita from Uhaul called to let us know that our boxes are now on their way.  And $500 less than we thought.  Hallelujah. (I’m not endorsed at all by Uhaul but had to throw that in there because it made my day.  And a shout out to the reader who commented yesterday and works for Uhaul. Tell the Uhaul folks we love them so far.  And the price.)

I always feel homeless until all of our stuff arrives to where its going………so it was good to hear that our stuff was going to race us out there.

While at that gas station in Macon……..I checked on our little sardines, packed away into their one little spot in the car.

Baby girl, trying to figure out what’s going on…

This one is in the back seat……guarding the goods.  We told her not to sneeze or that pillow would fall on her.

After many hours of driving, we finally decided to stop.  Thank you Clarksville, TN for having us for one night.  And keeping us safe.  And for free continental breakfasts.

Why oh why Clarksville, do you have large signs, taunting me to come visit?  I’m tired and achey; I don’t have time to browse your “Fabric Outlet”.  I can’t help but wonder what was inside though.  Hmmmm……anyone from Clarksville?  Did I miss out?  If so, tell me it’s terrible.  Or shut down.  Or infested with roaches.

Whew, today was a good day.

Thanks for all the well wishes.  Oh, and the “farewell’s” from you southerners and the “welcome’s” from you Coloradoans.

(It was kind of perfect to have something to read on my phone while traveling.  But, don’t ask me to respond on my phone.  I’m a terrible phone typer.  It’s such a slow process, thumbing out each letter.  And it makes me car sick.  Do you have that problem?)

One day down on this traveling adventure.  2 more to go.

Comments

42 Responses to “One Day Down…”
    Jordyn says:

We live 30 miles south of Clarksville & my husband is from there… and I’ve never even heard of that outlet. Maybe that speaks to how good it is :) Happy trails! Glad you could rest your head in TN for a night.

Amanda says:

I have lived in Clarksville for four years and have only been in that store once (didn’t even buy anything). All they have is drapery and upholstery fabric.

Laura says:

I live in Clarksville now (my husband is in the Army and stationed at Ft. Campbell.) I drive by that outlet on my way to the hospital but I’ve never stopped because the outward appearance is a little… sketch. I’ve not really heard of anyone visiting it either. My guess is you aren’t missing out on too much :) Maybe I’ll go visit this week and try to get a definitive answer!

Jeannie says:

i have family in Calrksville. Blow them a kiss as you pass by for me! Happy travels!

Good luck with the rest of your journey! We hope to move in August, not as far as you,but still 250 miles away. I’ve moved across town with the kids, but not out of town, I’m nervous!

love the kids in the back seat :) Looks like our 3 everytime we go out of town!! Good luck with the rest of your LONG drive!

reg82 says:

I’ve loved seeing this adventure unfold! We, too, are moving to Colorado this summer (August) and cannot wait to get there! Good luck in your travels–15 years ago we moved across the country with 4 kids under 5 and it truly was an adventure and tons of fun!

Amber says:

Aww, you drove by my house (more or less) on your way to Macon! This Georgia girl is sorry to see ya’ll head off somewhere new, but I’m sure it’s so exciting to be close to family again. Just thinking about moving with my kids is enough to make me start hyperventilating. Good luck and stay safe!

Lauren says:

I’m from Clarksville! I love it there, and will be moving back at the end of the month. But the fabric store is nothing special. You didn’t miss anything. Good luck on your adventure!

Katie O says:

Love your story of the terrible temptation to enter that fabric store. Way to resist! Sounds like it wasn’t worth your time so you did good. I live a little over an hour from Savannah in a small town. I hate to see you & your beautiful family leave us, but I’m excited for you as well. Think about it this way: you get to escape this awful, exhausting heat! I LOVE the picture of your baby girl peeking out the door of the car, TOO CUTE!! I wish ya’ll safe traveling & that the kids don’t get too restless. . . . . . . our last long trip to Augusta (yes that is long for us!), my girls did really good until the last 30 minutes. Then they cried the entire remaining trip to our destination. I had to record it on my phone, we were a little stir crazy!

Paige says:

That is fun that you are moving out to Colorado! Have a safe trip! I hope all goes well. Good luck with everything. Maybe we might come out and see you now that we will both be in Colorado.

Kate says:

how do you entertain your kids wile travel???? i have a family vacation soon and dont know how to keep them busy…

ps your family is adorable all those blue eyes :D

Nicia says:

You know what’s funny, I have that same car seat for my son AND that same water bottle! Have a happy drive!

Dena says:

Ahhh the fabric outlet….nothing special. Reminds me of an old Salvation Army store full of drapery and upholstry fabric – you didn’t miss much! Good luck on your way to Colorado! We are in the process of moving our family as well for hub’s job…sigh…4 kids….4 dogs….yikes!

Oh, I know traveling with kids is such an…. adventure.
    I’ll keep praying for your family, for smooth travels and good transitions into your new home!
    Blessings!

Brittany says:

Just a little “heads up”. Colorado has those wild fires. just preparing you for the smoke you will see soon. I hope you have safe travels. I

A friend and myself drove from South Carolina to Ohio and I freaked out when I saw the sign….but was disappointed. I have family in Colorado…so if you need a place to stay before you hit your final destination let me know :)

Aubrey says:

Oops, that was me up there :)

Kim says:

I’m sure that fabric outlet was filled with nothing but old stuff that wasn’t cute then so it isn’t cute now.

Do you feel better?

I live in Utah, so you’ll be my neighbor in a couple days! So exciting! Colorado is just a beautiful state and several of my favorite people live in the Denver area. If you’re headed there, drop me a line and I’ll have you some instant friends!

alisha says:

So excited your move it going well! I sure WILL tell everyone I know at uhaul that you love us! I hope we continue to impress you!

Emily says:

What a nice reader to help you out on your Uhaul situation! You are awesome. I hope to meet you someday! :)

Jennifer says:

Praise God for phones to keep you entertained!!! Maybe your kids can keep each other entertained…

courtney says:

i used to live there… you didn’t miss much- it’s upholstery and home decor fabric. Clarksville is a great town, and home to the 101st Airborne Division. (think band of brothers)… :) enjoy the trip. we’ll be following next week to Colorado (from Texas) YAHOO!

Faith says:

I hope you have a safe trip! It looks like your kiddos are nice and snug! and most of all HaPpY!!!! :)

Natalie says:

I grew up in Colorado and LOVE it! I hope you enjoy it as well. As for the drive … I don’t envy you at all! We drove from Colorado to South Carolina one summer and it was a looooooong 3 days out there, and an even longer 4 days back (a little car accident 2 hours into the drive didn’t help). Good luck with the kiddos, and drive safely!

kate says:

OH this brings back memories!! Three summers ago, we moved from Alaska to Oklahoma…2 weeks in and out of hotels, living out of our car, visiting friends and sightseeing along the way. The kids held up way better than we imagined. Then we moved into our empty house just because we couldn’t bear another night in a hotel. Our stuff didn’t arrive for 2 more weeks. But life was good and simple. Good luck and enjoy the family time!

Wow… looks like fun? haha :)

Thanks for keeping us posted!!

Lesly says:

Wishing you a safe journey. I’m currently in Grand Junction, CO and hope that you are moving to close to here. Take care and have a blessed day! Lesly

Andrea says:

Gosh your family is just so CUTE!! Happy moving… my little family has moved 5 times in 8 years and I feel for you!! Enjoy the unpacking and setting up a new home! Think of all the new decorating projects that await you :)

Misha says:

Colorado is going to be amazing for you all!!! What a beautiful state to move to…

Kristen Duke says:

They are packed in so cozy in there! Love that baby carseat cover I will assume you made;)

Beth says:

You’re not missing anything with the Fabric Outlet in Clarksville, it’s closed! I’m glad Clarksville hosted you for an evening! It’s a nice town

Alix says:

Colorado is amazing! I used to live in Parker (by Denver) and there are some AMAZING people there! Happy Travels and thanks for the pictures, your little ones are so cute!

Kelly says:

So crazy that you stopped in Clarksville. I am from there but I now live in Highlands Ranch, CO. You didn’t miss out on anything at the Fabric Outlet. I think it’s actually closed. You are now in for the worst part of the drive from TN to CO. Yuck. I hope you guys have an audiobook or something because Kansas is tough driving through and Eastern Colorado too. Boring. Best Wishes. Love your blog!

Rachel says:

Good luck on your trip! Every time I see your baby girl I just want to give her a big squeeze. She is ADORABLE!!

Amanda says:

That’s so strange! We *JUST* moved last week from Fort Huachuca (S.V.) Arizona to Fort Campbell (Clarksville). A major road trip for our little family. My hubby is Army, and we are temporarily stranded in a hotel right across the street from that very same Fabric outlet! It was tempting me, too, but after reading other comments I’ll save my crafty cravings for the Hobby Lobby in town. :-) Safe travels to you and your family! I so enjoy reading your blog and all your crafty inspiration.

Nicki says:

Colorado is where I grew up, and I miss it a lot (my family has since moved). Hopefully you’ll love it. Have a safe trip!

Tracie says:

We were stationed in Colorado about 5 yrs ago. We loved it out there. Now we are stationed at Ft Campbell (which is right outside Clarksville). Hope you have a safe trip.

What brand of infant car seat is that? I love the colors of the fabric on the canopy/interior! Did you make it yourself or purchase it somewhere? Its so hard to find anything with decent designs pre-manufactured. Thanks and good luck on your trip!

Marie says:

Ah, the wonderful drive from the south to CO! I have done it WAY too many times! My husband and I grew up in CO, and we moved to FL after high school. I added it up…I have driven past the St Louis Arch 7 times in the past 8 years!!! Twice since March! We will be driving back to CO in a couple weeks for my Brother-in-law’s wedding. I can’t wait to move back home for good, hopefully next summer. Like the many others who have commented, I am also in Clarksville with my soldier/husband! I have been tempted to stop by the fabric outlet, but with a 2yr old, shopping is impossible…especially since I can spend HOURS in crafty stores!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] the well wishes (and prayers) along the way of our long trek from Georgia to Colorado (posts here, here, here, and here).  It amazes me how many of you offered your help, a place to stay, or advice [...]

2. [...] back into a home of our own.  Remember how we just barely left Savannah, GA last June?  And then we drove and drove some more and then dropped off a stowaway cockroach in Kansas (do any of you remember [...]