Goodbye Sweet Georgia…

………..you will be missed.

Today is a big day.  One filled with a lot of emotions.  It’s always hard to pick up and leave. And especially hard to tell some of your favorite things goodbye.  These are a few of the things that I will miss about this southern state we have called home for the past 18 months.

• peaches……oh, those peaches.
  • winter weather
  • magnolia flowers
  • thick southern accents
  • being called Miss Ashley
  • lots of green scenery…..everywhere
  • escaping to the beach

The thing I’ll probably miss the most……..our friends.  We have found such dear friends here.  We will miss them dearly.

Thank you Georgia for giving us a family here, who took us right in and fed our hungry bellies, loved on our sweet children, and laughed/cried with us.   I will miss you friends…….every single one of you.  Even if you held the door open for me while trying to take a screaming child out to the car to have a “talking to”.  I call you a friend too.

Can I take any of you along with us?  We have a tiny bit of room in one of the U-boxes.

We came here for my husband to attend P.A. school here in Savannah, GA.  (I know, I never publicly post where we live, until we leave.  It’s the paranoia in me.)  And now, we’re off to Colorado for Steve to do his rotations there.  Oh, yeah, and be closer to some of our family. Such a nice perk.

We haven’t known we were leaving for very long, so we have been a little crazy getting everything packed up…..but we’re done. Whew.  I love that feeling.

So this week will be a little crazy as we move a few states over.

Wish us luck.  Prayers are always welcomed too.  And yes, we have a portable DVD player. :)

-Ashley

Comments

94 Responses to “Goodbye Sweet Georgia…”

You will love COLORADO. I live here so if you want a list of free and fun things to go with your kids I am your gal!

I have 4 binders of stuff to do! Email me and let me know which area you are in and I will be your official tour guide! :)

Aleisha says:

Oh, my husbands whole family is from the Parker Colorado Area. It is a really fun place. Take advantage of all the things to do in Colorado, Garden of the Gods, Estes park, Pikes Peak, Rocky Mt National forest. I’m sure your husband will have LOADS of time for things like that (read that sarcastically, my husbands in Dental school, so I have an idea what his time schedule is like).

Michelle says:

Oh, wow! That is quite a change. Good luck w/ the move. I hope all goes well for you and the family.

Aleisha says:

PS I’m totally sold on living in the South, my husbands in the army and after Dental school we have a say in where we get assigned. I’m totally wanting to experience Southern Hospitality!

Erin says:

Good luck on your move! I always knew you lived in GA but never knew it was so close to us- we live in Hinesville (right outside of Ft.Stewart and about 30 minutes from Savannah). Small world! At least you are leaving in the worst part of the year here! I’m jealous of your move to Colorado! Do you think I might be able to fit in one of those Uhaul boxes?! Good luck!

The Mommy says:

I hope that the move goes well and I know that being near family will be wonderful. I’m sorry that you’re leaving The South, though. I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else.

Beth says:

Good Luck! My husband just started his Clinical Rotations for PA school this month, luckily we were able to get all but 1 close to where we live so we won’t have to move till next year when he graduates! We’re going to be going through the Medical Shortage thing so they can pay back our student loans.

Good luck moving is always hard with little ones. Plus it’s never fun to leave those you care about behind. I hope it all works out the way you want it to.
    Emily

Toni says:

I feel your pain. We just relocated for Philadelphia to D.C. at Easter, and I still don’t know a soul within an hours drive. I wasn’t upset to be leaving Philly exactly, but more the routine of it. (I hate trying to find a new “great” grocery store!) At least you are moving closer to family. You never know how much you want them around until they aren’t easily accessible and you need a babysitter. lol

Good luck on the move. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and you have some really nice weather!

Adriana says:

Good Luck!

jannet says:

where in colorado? i’m in colorado – if you’re close, i’d love to be able to help when you get here!!

Ms. Amy says:

Good luck with the move. We’re doing the same thing in exactly 8 weeks. Enjoy the adventure. Colorado is amazing.

Janeen Getz says:

Good luck! I agree with you; moving can be hard and emotional, but it’s also exciting to think of all the possibilities ahead!

Amy says:

Moving already? It seems like you just moved down there! Good luck on your move, I can’t wait to see all the new decorating you’ll be doing in your new home!

Michele N says:

Good luck and safe drive on the move. That is a bit of a haul from Georgia to Colorado. I’ve never been to Georgia, but I have been to Colorado once and now have a number of friends from high school who live in Colorado now. I’m an Idaho girl and I don’t think you could get me away from here. lol. Again, good luck and I think we’ll all survive a week or two with out more projects to add to our to do list from you Ashley. lol Get to Colorado safe & settle in.

Rachel says:

Savannah! Oh my goodness, you must have loved it there! I’m from Augusta and I miss home like crazy! Have fun and be safe on your way back to Colorado!

Jeannie says:

We left Georgia in October after living there our entire lives….38 years!! I am definitely feeling your pain with you this morning. God Bless You on your new adventures!

Stephanie says:

I’m with Amy – I remember reading about your move to GA – doesn’t seem that long ago. Along with all the fun things you post on your blog, I’ve loved how positive you’ve been through all the life changes you’ve shared with us readers. This is just another adventure for you and your family, and I know we’ll be seeing some great posts in the near future as you set up another new home. I need some of your creativity and positivity. Best of luck on that drive! (Oh, and my sister lives in CO – Colorado Springs area. She says she lives on the edge of a wind-swept prairie. They’ve done and seen some amazing things while out there.)

Suzanne says:

Yay for Colorado! Georgia is a beautiful state — and Savannah is particularly pretty — but I’m happy you are moving west to Colorado. I know at least one of your sisters will be thrilled! ;o) (Suzanne — from Longmont)

Bobbie says:

Good luck! So much fun moving (I really love it :)

Em says:

I grew up in Savannah and miss it so! Knew I recognized a post or two with pics of Tybee, but wasn’t sure exactly where you were. :) Good luck with the move!

LindseyMarie says:

Oh. someday I’m going to go to school in Colorado! It is an absolutely gorgeous state!

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May He grant you peace and a quiet car. When the boxes are overflowing and calling your name, may you remember that boxes can wait, but your family needs your love and joy.

In Him,
    LindseyMarie

Morgan says:

It’s always hard to leave someplace you love no matter the length of time you have been there. Good luck in Colorado and enjoy not only that beautiful state but being near your family as well.

Katie says:

Colorado it beautiful! Enjoy it!

Jennifer says:

Good luck!! Colorado is beautiful! :0)

alisha says:

You rented u-boxes! I work at the u-haul corporate office and we’re all about the u-boxes lately. So excited to see them on your blog! Thanks! :)

Biz says:

I can totally understand why you would miss Savannah! I lived there for four years and it’s a beautiful city! I’m sure you’ll love Colorado though, too cold for me, but it’s definitely a pretty state!
    Biz

Brooke Elyse says:

so sad! Georgia is absolutely amazing. especially Savannah.
    Have fun in CO, prayers and thoughts go with you.

Hannah says:

Aww! Don’t leave GA! I’m from Atlanta and I love it! HOpe to move to SAvannah one day for SCAD…

Emily says:

So sorry that you are sad to leave your home, but like others have said, Colorado is WONDERFUL! If you are moving to the Front Range area, email me and I would love to meet you. I have been a follower of your blog for a while now and I LOVE everything you do!

Shaina says:

We have been in colorado for three years, and it’s lovely. We go hiking almost every weekend. Such a great FREE activity, especially for a family of seven!
    We know lots of “residents” that come and go. Hope you love it here.
    PS: If you move to CoSprings, you MUST get a zoo season pass, go to Garden of the Gods, Hike The Incline (pure craziness) Take the cogg railway, and so many other things….
    Good luck with the cross country move. We’ve done that twice (CA to SC; then SC to CO) both within 8 months of eachother. Now That was crazy!

Congrats on the move to CO, it’s one of my dream states! I hope all works out well and you settle in quickly.

Jennifer says:

Best of luck in your new adventure!

Lynette says:

Oh, moving always is kind of sad! And a big pain too…I’ll be thinking of you guys while you travel! I hope you have a safe trip and don’t lose anything too important (because we all know that SOMETHING gets lost in moving). My mother in law lost her purse in a move once… :)

Heather B says:

Good luck with the move!! I have a friend that knows your fam and did some crafts with you I don’t remember if it was in ID or UT but I am totally jealous!

Welcome to your new home. Hope you enjoy Colorado as much as we do. Don’t know where you are landing, but I hope it is the Springs. It’s the best! :) But anywhere in Colorado in summer is wonderful.

Jennifer C says:

You will love CO… much cooler! :) Good luck with the move.

Anshu says:

Oh! how I wished you’re moving closer to California.
    Best of luck for your move.

Moving is always such a bitter/sweet thing!

Good luck on your more… Miss Ashley! :) – love that!

corrine bell says:

You will LOVE COLORAD!! We lived there for 6 years. when we first moved there we said it was only for school but ended up staying. I really miss COlorado. If your moving to the Denver area there is SO MUCH to do with your little one.

Anja says:

Congrats on the move!
    We lived in CO for 2 years (Aurora). There is a lot to see and do, so you will have a lot of fun!

Good luck with the move and prayers are sent for a safe uneventful trip!

Amanda says:

I was blessed to serve a church mission for 18 months in the Northern Colorado area. It is wonderful. I fell in love with the rocky mountains and with snow (I am from sunny CA). Good luck -sending prayers for a successful transition.

Tracy says:

CO is beautiful, but I would live in GA over just about anywhere. There is something so endearing about it. And nothing beats southern hospitality. Good luck with the move!!

Jennifer says:

We are leaving Utah and Going to Colorado ourselves this week too. We’ll be about 3 hours away from Denver. We went to visit the town we’ll be living in, and it seems really nice. I know what you’re talking about though, leaving friends and things behind.We’ll also be leaving our family behind too, that will be the hardest part. Hope you’re moving goes well, good luck!

Kylee Duff says:

It’s always sad to move, but I live in Colorado (Denver Metro area) and LOVE it. There is so much to do. If you will be moving to that area, you should check out my blog, I have tried to list all the free and cheap family events/ parks/ activities/ festivals, ect. ect. that I know about an love to go to. Good luck with all the moving!

Ally says:

We just moved from UT to CO, so my hubby could go to grad school. I love it, and am sure you will too!

Katie says:

Can’t wait to see you!! EEK!!!! :) :) :) :)

Becca says:

Welcome to CO. I’m a transplant from California. And I love it.

Erin says:

But rotations means one step closer to being done with school! And that’s exciting, too.

I don’t blame you at *all* for not posting where you live, your children’s names, etc. The interwebs can be a wonderful but scary place. I’m glad you keep things safe.

Good luck! I know you’ll find friends soon…like, by, oh, the end of Sunday. Just to pick a random day. :)

Brenda says:

Travel safely and enjoy your new home!

Tish says:

Wow, it seems like just yesterday that you moved here to Georgia! I’m sure it’s an emotional and bittersweet thing to move again, and Georgia will definitely miss you! But, with your positive attitude, I’m sure you’ll have lots of fun and adventures in Colorado, too (and where ever else you may go)! But, since I’m a Georgia girl myself, I’m allowed to say this—”Ya’ll come back now, ya hear!” :)

Jenn says:

Adding my welcome to the rest from Colorado. We hope you love it here! We’re south of Denver, between Denver and CO Springs. The only thing you won’t find here is a great fabric store ;). Hooray for the online fabric shops. It’s a good time to move here. Summers are great.

Barbara says:

What a bright future you have ahead. My husband and I started our life together in Phoenix when he was an engineering student. We made a lot of friends, and grew to enjoy the area, but when we graduated, we moved away to Oregon. We’ve never looked back. Congratulations on his graduation, and best of luck to you as you move into this new phase of your lives together.

Bryan says:

Ashley! I had a feeling you lived in Savannah (recognized Tybee too…)! I do also and whenever I see cute hair bows on children I look to see if I recognize their adorable faces from your blog. Sorry I missed knowing you in person. Post #21 is my daughter who lives too far away with her little munchkin. All the best with Colorado. And congratulations to your husband on finishing PA school. I am absolutely inspired by you. Thank you and God bless you all!!!

Wendy says:

I’m jealous! I live in Augusta and I have to say, even though this is home and I’d miss it terribly, the thought of leaving GA humidity sounds divine right now when it’s literally 100 degrees outside!

Melody Benschoter says:

We moved to CO four years ago and we LOVE it! If you need a friend in the Littleton area look me up! We have a great church and community here and we’d love for you to join us!

Donna Hollingsworth, RN says:

Best wishes for your move. Prayers for safety and sanity for you and your family during this move!

Catherine says:

Yay welcome to beautiful Colorado. We moved here about 3 years ago and we love it. Good luck with the move.

Kristina says:

You’re moving from my hometown’s little sister (I grew up in Charleston) to my current state (Colorado). Kinda funny. The South is an awesome place, but even though I’m a Southern girl, I do love Colorado. Travel safely!

Marie says:

Colorado isn’t Georgia, but we love it here and hope you will too!

Laura D says:

We’ve been living in the “south” for the last 4 years while my husband has been in seminary. Looking to move back home to Colorado next year. We’ve already been making lots of plans for the move and had planned on selling everything because it was just too expensive. Never heard of U-boxes though. Might just be the solution for those items that I just really didn’t want to part with! Thanks for sharing!!

Kim in Idaho says:

Good luck and travel safely!

Steph @HCC says:

Well, I’m sorry Georigia has to let you go but I’m so glad Colorado gets to have you! I live in Fort Collins & trust me – you’ll love it here! As a transplanted Southerner myself I know how hard it is to say goodbye to those accents & southern manners! But Coloradoans have an easy, nature loving way about them & there is lots to see & explore & fall in love with here too! Safe travels!

Nadia says:

Welcome to Colorado! (for when you actually arrived) you will love it and never wanting to leave again!!! (-;

We have peaches too, a beach at cherry creek state park and hot dry summers (-;

safe travels!

sarah says:

best wishes for u.I found you few minuets ago and i admire you.you are seccesful and intelligent.

Kristin says:

Welcome to Colorado, Miss Ashley! I’m enjoying reading all the other “welcome to Colorado” responses from your other readers. Who knew there were so many of us? :) I’ve been reading and loving your blog for quite some time. I’m glad to know you’re going to be local (and have to make more warm weather clothes I can copy!!!) :)

I know you don’t want to publicly share where you’re living…but we’re in the North metro area (Northglenn/Thornton). My husband works in Boulder and I grew up in the Southeast Metro area (Aurora). For all I know you could be moving to The Springs or the western slope…but if you’ll be near Denver I can sure hook you up with stuff to do around here. You can click on my blog link…I’m not too freaky. ;) Welcome and best of luck with the move and getting settled!

Alex says:

Ashley (and family). Have a happy and safe move and transition. Thinking of you.

Brandi says:

Moving is so sad. But I think you will love Colorado. I moved here 9 years ago and I’ll never leave! It’s an awesome state with tons of things to do and see. I’m jealous you lived in Savannah though, that is one of my other favorite places :) Good luck with the move!

Katy says:

I’m a bit jealous, as I just left Colorado (Boulder) for California in February. I hope you love it there…I certainly do! I have a dear friend from CO who just graduated this spring from Savannah’s PA program–they must have been in the same class. I will ask her if she knows you guys…you’re kind of a big deal in my house. :) Good luck with the move, and enjoy!

Bell says:

Ashley I love coming here on her blog, I know what it means leaving friends behind, I did it twice, I thank God for the people I met in places where he took me. God bless and keep you and your family.
    Hug

Forgive me for bad English
    Bell

Raelynn says:

Welcome to CO….Best of luck with your move…I just moved here a year ago, and love it, I’m sure you will too!!

Sue says:

Wow, I can’t believe you were there for 18 months. It feels like you just moved there. That means I’ve been reading your blog for years.

ellen says:

Have a safe trip. Best of luck at your new home. My prayers and well wishes are with you and your family.

Have a great drive! I’ve been out of town and not surfing…love the new site design!! Those peaches sound delicious!

Jody says:

Welcome to Colorado! We moved from Rexburg to the Longmont (Firestone/Frederick) area one year ago and LOVE it here! If you happen to be moving close to this area, feel free to email me and we can round up some help for you to get your stuff unloaded. Good luck!

Kari says:

Well, I live in Colorado, too. I also never post exactly where I live. I totally get that. I hope you love it here. The weather has been great and there are also great peaches! Oh, and how could I forget the beautiful mountains!

Cindy S. says:

We have wonderful Palisade peaches here in (Western) Colorado! And beautiful red earth rock formations, and rivers and forests and meadows and lots of stuff growing everywhere. Good luck with the trip and getting settled in!

Jen says:

Good Luck! I hated moving 2 miles north of where we use to live, your a brave lady. Good luck and have fun, what a great adventure for you and your family!

Jenoside says:

Ashley, you’ve GOT to let us know how your move goes. We live in central FL and are considering a some day move to Colorado (also partially due to family proximity). I have been here for a third of my life and find it hard to consider actually living somewhere else… Plus, there’s the kids and the stuff and the actual move. Maybe if your move goes swimmingly, it will convince me that I, too, could possibly move that far away :-)

Moving is hard and exciting all at the same time! Hang in there and have fun nesting in the new place!!

Heidi says:

Hope your drive goes well!! I’m jealous you’re moving to my home state… I lived in Parker and LOVED it. We moved to Utah two years ago and I still miss Colorado. Hope your transition is smooth! Love your blog, you are just so creative! Thanks for taking the time to share your talents with us.

Ronnie says:

Oh wow!! I used to live in the Atlanta area (in fact my parents are moving BACK there next week) but I married a Colorado boy so now we’re in the Springs. It’s more like Idaho- not as cold though! Hope you enjoy it- it will be fun to see where you settle!!
    And echoing all the other blogland friends- let us know if there’s anything we can do to help!!

Welcome to Colorado! And how fun to see how many of us are on here!! Been living here 5 years now and LOVE it!! Good luck with the move and road trip!

L says:

We are in southwest Wyoming. This whole area in Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah is gorgeous. So much to do and so much to see. Good luck on your move and I hope you are able to settle in quickly. :)

Hannah S says:

Congrats on finishing PA school (I think part of the degree belongs to the wife). Colorado is a fabulous place to live and raise children. My husband and I both grew up in Arvada, a suburb of Denver. We hope to go back there and raise our family if the time comes.

Becca says:

We have lived in Colorado for a little over a year now. I have been a follower of your blog for some time now, and I’m a big fan of yours. If you are moving to Colorado Springs area, I would love to help you guys out any way I can!!

Devony says:

Ooh, I secretly hope you move by me in Colorado. Is that bad? Hope your move goes great as you come join us in the land of sun! Good luck!

Joy LaVon says:

P. S. Go to the Western slope of the Rocky mountains, Palisade, Colorado has some terrific peaches too.

Toni says:

Hi! Just found your blog, but wanted to let you in on a little secret……
    I am a GA girl through and through. Grew up in Waycross (not far from Jacksonville, FL) and went to college at Georgia Southern (right near Savannah) so I understand what it’s like to leave the southern mood behind. I moved out here to Oregon 5 years ago and let me just say, I miss the manners and comfort of the south. But what I truly miss are the PEACHES!!! Oh goodness how I miss them. But, luckily I remembered the name of the best peach stand in the state: Lane Packing Company, found right there in Peach County! Just go to their website and they will ship out fresh GA peaches during the season. I ordered two boxes this year, for some graduation gifts. I teach here and the kids were tired of hearing me talk about how good the peaches were, so I decided to back up my talk with some evidence. Their minds were blown!! Here’s the website, http://www.lanesouthernorchards.com/, check it out when you get the chance :) I am so glad that I found your blog, and look forward to your next adventure!

Maureen says:

Having just survived a recent move and it was only to the neighboring county I wish you luck. I survived our recent move with a sprained knee and pt as my war wounds. Hopefully you do better!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] packed up everything into those UBoxes (remember yesterday’s post?) and while filling up the car with gas (2 hours after departure) in Macon, GA, Shiquita from Uhaul [...]

2. [...] all of the well wishes (and prayers) along the way of our long trek from Georgia to Colorado (posts here, here, here, and here).  It amazes me how many of you offered your help, a place to stay, or [...]

3. [...] (yes, still renters) and have moved back into a home of our own.  Remember how we just barely left Savannah, GA last June?  And then we drove and drove some more and then dropped off a stowaway cockroach in [...]

4. […] stuff.  However, most of our stuff was purchased from craigslist items and a few hand-me-downs.  We moved to Colorado with a few Uhaul boxes, stuffed with things we didn’t want to have to re-purchase.  (Oh […]