Excuse Us While We Play in the Sprinklers…

How’s your weather? Is it sweaty stinkin’ hot??  Well, it is here.

I grew up in southern AZ (good ‘ol Sierra Vista) and it was hot there.  Dry deserty blazin’ hot.  And now I live in Georgia.  Wow, a whole new heat.  I know you southerners would disagree but I’m going to say that the humidity is hotter than the dry heat.  Wow.  If you’ve never been to the south, just imagine the sweat that starts at the back of your neck, rolls down your spine……and then yup, all the way down to your shoes.  All while just walking out to the mail box.  Haha!  Whew.  That’s hot.

(But have you seen the view, the beaches, the magnolias, the perfect winter weather?  Yeah, GA has its perks.)

However, whatever type of heat you have…….swimming seems to help that problem.

Well, if you have a pool.  But if not (or can’t go to one because you have a 3 month old inside the house, sleeping her morning away)……..then busting out the sprinkler hose attachment is always refreshing.

No matter the heat, water of any kind seems to beat the heat.

And it waters the grass that we somehow neglect on a regular basis.

But with so much humidity, the air waters the grass, right?

Oh, I remember those hot summers as a young girl. I used to ride my hand-me-down bike 2 miles down the country dirt road, to my friend Caryn’s house.  And we’d swim in her pool until we were burnt little lobsters.  And then we’d sneak snacks out of her mother’s kitchen.  And find mischief.  We were kind of rascally little girls.  (And obnoxious teenagers!  Right Caryn??)

But, oh, those hot summer months!

Makes me remember them, while sitting outside watching my little ones splash around in the water to keep cool.

How are you handling the heat?

Excuse me while I sip on a slushy.  Remember these here?  Perfect for the heat.

Filed under Family, Featured

Comments

60 Responses to “Excuse Us While We Play in the Sprinklers…”
    Sonja says:

You are absolutely right about the humid heat. We live in south Alabama and yes, sweat happens from head to toe. It’s just like you described. Love the pictures of the kiddos playing in the sprinklers. Ours do the same thing.

I hear ya! I’m from South Carolina and understand humidity/heat too ;+) Living in Virginia now and although we have times of high humidity and heat, it’s nothing like “down south”. Slippin’ Slide is a great way to forget about the miserable weather – do they still make those?! Hours of fun for children and adults alike!

Ziva says:

I concur, humid heat is way worse than dry heat. Although it’s winter here in Cairns Australia, cold here is 17C (that’s about 63F to you) there are still warm days, my kids love splashing around in our little paddle pool.

Meagan says:

We are BARELY handing the heat. We live in north Florida…(I had no clue you lived so close to me!!! that makes me feel so happy!!!!!!!!), but we love popsicles and kiddy pool time. I wish we had a pool for our townhome complex! But- someday when we own a home, having a pool is right there on the top of my wish list. You canNOT handle the florida/southeast heat without a pool or some cool retreat place!!!!!!

Laura says:

In Sierra Vista I’d ride my bike the 6 miles to Buena and be a tad sweaty in 90 degree weather and would dry immediately. Now that I’ve lived in humid places I know I pretty much need a towel if I ride my bike 1/2 a mile.

Amber says:

I just have to say I love your blog/site! I look at it all the time for ideas for my daughter… (I have a 6yr old) btw where did you find the cute yellow swimming suit?
    Thanks for all the cute ideas!!!

Megan says:

Southwest Florida Heat/ Humidity is The hottest! I feel your pain! (or sweat drips!) We have 4 kiddos, one of which is 3 months!! We’re building a PVC sprinkler/ playset today so they can cool off! LOVE LOVE LOVE your sight!!

Amy says:

i went to college in SC and spent one (awesome!!) summer there. my friend described the humidity as “so humid you’d get a whole mouthful of water when you step outside.” we are having one of those days in new england today and i’m getting ready to bust out the sprinkler for my kids.

Pegah says:

I love the Drink so very pretty!

Beth says:

A fellow Arizonan here to tell you we are having a “cold front”. Ha ha, you know what that means, its only about 100 and 10% humidity. I think this might be the only place I’ll ever live that 100 is considered a cold front. Oh well, at least it isn’t 120 yet! Good luck with the humidity!

Etta says:

I keep threatening to get our sprinkler out and lay in it. I’m in the last half of my pregnancy and this heat is unbearable!

Biz says:

Humid heat vs. Dry heat and you are right.
    Humid heat is worse.
    There is something about opening the door and literally feeling a wall of hot stickiness.
    Now don’t get me wrong, I LOVE HOT weather.
    I always like to view it as God telling us it’s the time of year we need to move a little slower and do a little less ;)
    I remember the good ole days of sprinklers when we lived in Savannah!
    Oh those were the days!
    Biz

Rachel says:

I’m a long time reader, not because I sew or could replicate ANY of your projects, but because I love seeing how creative other people are. You’re awesome! Anyhow… I’ve never commented before, but had to chime in with a, “WHAT!?” You’re from Sierra Vista?! Was your dad Army, or Boarder Patrol? ;-) My husband and I were stationed there 5 years ago, and (I know people don’t say this often), I loved it there!

I’m originally from Utah, and while it may not get quite as hot as Southern AZ., I know dry heat too. I live in N. Carolina now, and again, it may not get quite as ho/humidty as Georgia, but BOY HOWDY! The humid heat is 1000x worse than dry heat. At least you’re not pregnant, right? :D

Jennifer C says:

I grew up in SC and moved to Tucson after college and I TOTALLY agree with you that humid hot is hotter than dry hot. Stay cool and your kids are adorable btw! :)

Adeela says:

I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and the weather here is gloomy with a chance of gloomy, lol.

Brittany says:

We lived in Pittsburgh till my husband joined the army. And it was humid and nasty. We moved to Georgia. And I thought I was going to die! It was such a difference in humidity and weather all together. I could not handle it. Now I am in Colorado and its totally different.

That nice “wall” you hit you when you open the door is crazy. We are going back to that heat soon…..I am going to need my allergy meds and a swim suit!

Angie Ward says:

Here in Oregon where we live we were excited that it got up to 68 degrees, and it is supposed to be in the seventies next week. So no sprinklers for us yet. :)

I didn’t know that you grew up in Sierra Vista. I have family that lives down there and has for years and years. My dad grew up down there and my aunt & uncle and & great uncle still live there! Small world.

Deanna says:

I’m totally jealous. We had a nasty hail/rain storm yesterday. It was in the 40′s. I’m longing for shorts weather…and sprinkler weather…which is, at this point, looking to be whenever the sun comes out and warms us up to about 60. LOL!

Beth says:

Orlando Florida here! And yes, that humidity is so much grosser than the dry heat. You can’t do anything at all without sweating! Even when it’s not all that hot, the humidity will still make you sweaty and sticky, eww!

Kim says:

I grew up in the Phoenix area went to college at the UofA in Tucson. Now I’m in St. Louis, MO and all I can say is that the humidity is WAY worse than the dry heat of the southwest! You are absolutely right! Arizona is an oven in the summer no doubt. But I would definitely take that over the disgusting, thick, sweating-only-makes-it-worse, sticky humid heat we have here! Ick! We stocked up on water balloons from the dollar spot at Target and they were well worth the price tag!!

Laura says:

I grew up in the midwest (with humidity that was just ridiculous). We moved to Las Vegas just over a year ago. Of course, my sister was getting married back in Kansas, so I left the 105 degree temps behind and arrived to a very humid 85 degrees. I was desperate to get back to the dry heat! As soon as I walked out of the airport it was like I had hit a wall of heat, the air was thick and I couldn’t breath as well. At least in Las Vegas the shade actually provides relief, nothing but being in a pool can help with humidity!

Melissa says:

We are praying for sprinkler weather up here in Montana! Rain, rain, rain and more rain. The whole state is flooding! Crossing my fingers that things dry up soon!

Carrie says:

I’m freezing my tush off here on the Central Coast of California! Sweaty back side sounds good right about now. I started subscribing a little over 3 months ago and I am receiving everything as I did when I first signed up. No glitch on my end. Love your posts, I look forward to them everyday :)

Katie says:

Maybe I’m just drawing a blank (or maybe its just been too many years!), but I don’t remember Sierra Vista being THAT hot at all! The humid heat is a BIG difference, although I’m just happy to have SOME warmth right now! It took Spring long enough to get here that Summer decided to just step in! Great pictures of the kiddos playing! I definitely miss those simpler days!

Jen says:

It’s pretty hot and humid up here in good old MI. We are to hit 95 today (I personally love the heat) my poor mom can’t take it….. When I talked to her this morning she had the air on and was complaining that she was already hot, poor mommy…… just wait till we hit the 100s with 80,000% humidity……..

Michelle says:

I’m a fellow Georgia resident (and MI&LI follower), Ashley, and yes, this humid heat is suffocating! We always jokingly called our sprinkler the “poor man’s swimming pool”. :) Growing up, we’d set it under the trampoline and have a blast jumping on it (it gets super-bouncy when it is wet, too!).

Cindy says:

Everything has been working for me! :-)

Lauren says:

I agree with you about the humid heat being worse than dry heat! You can’t breathe! Up here in Ontario (Canada) we have 33 degree celsius, feeling like 43 with humidity – that’s 110 degrees fahrenheit!

Robin says:

Great shots! I’m an Arizona girl too (Lake Havasu). So I know exactly what you are talking about! Actually my husband and his family lived in Sierra Vista for awhile.

B. Moore says:

As a kid I remember doing this and so did my own kids. Good old simple fun and the lawn gets a bit wet too. Not bad all the way around.
    Enjoy the summer. I’m staying in with my ac.
    Cheers, from Oshawa,Ontario Canada
    Brenda

JaDe Rain says:

I was trying to figure out a snack and scrolling your site for the fun of it. I saw that yummy shake and I had to have one. My fruit smoothie was yummy and healthy. Thanks for planting the thought in my head!

courtney says:

what a small world- i lived in sierra vista for 8 months while doing military training- i love love loved that little town, and bisbee nearby, of course! :)

HannahBee says:

No, actually, here in CA, we just finished with a week of RAIN! YES, rain. in JUNE. :P

Gianna says:

OMGoodness! Where has your blog been all my adult life? I believe myself to be a crafty person but have been away for so long and now that I am trying to get back into it, I will be trying many of your projects. This will be interesting as I am a newbie with the sewing machine. Anywho, you now have a new follower. :)

Anja says:

I grew up where “hot” meant it was over 75*, and we still went out and had good ol times in the sprinkler (which by the way was ICE cold.) I grew up in Alaska.

I now live in Oklahoma where you can fry eggs on the sidewalks in the shade, and cut through the humidity with knives some days.

I miss my Alaska summers! lol
    (Though I went to the pool this morning with my kiddos and coming from there, I didn’t know people REALLY swam in pools outside! Thats kind of a nice change!)

ellen says:

Blogs are getting to me A-OK; thank you. Love your blog and look forward to it anxiously.

It’s hurricane season here in the middle of the ocean and so far, we have had cool sunshine, nice breezes, and gentle rains while the other islands have downpours and flood watches. So far, we’re happy campers; we’ll just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Jenni says:

Another small town Arizona (Thatcher) girl here, who knew there were so many of us out here in the blogosphere traversing your blog. I live in TX now and I miss the Arizona heat, although I would rather be hot than cold anyday.

Marin D says:

I live in Las Vegas – born and raised – and people always laugh at me when I say it isn’t so bad because it is a dry heat. The second the humidity gets above like 1% I am dying. LOL. I had to go to Texas last summer for work and thought I was going to die. And my hair, don’t even get me started on that mess. :o) There is definitely a difference. I will take my oven over the humidity any day!

Jenine says:

Up here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada we are at 12 degrees C (54 degrees F) and not seeing a speck of sunlight! Running through sprinklers looks like fun and I wish we could do it here!

Anni says:

Still in in the hot heat of your home state, but it has not been very hot at all! We had a snow storm on May 18th and Phx it self has only reached triple digits a few times. Weird… my tomatoes or not happy. Glad some one is enjoying warm weather.

Lisa says:

I’m originally from AZ as well, and I am SO glad to be out of MD. even after 10 years I still never got used to the humidity. bleh! sprinklers, a lake, pool or the river is a perfect solution though!

Holly says:

Another former AZ resident here….lived in Sierra Vista for 3 years in the late 80′s. It was beautiful there and I do miss that dry heat while living in DFW Texas. People who haven’t experienced it don’t understand! Love your blog and have made several of your projects!

Lizzy says:

Yep, I live in south east Texas. Huuuuuumidddd!! Miserable. The moment you are out of the blessed air conditioner it feels as though you’ve been thrown into a sauna.

Bekah says:

I feel your pain! I grew up in Phoenix (although, I love southern AZ… my hubby and I are both UofA grads) and now I live in Mississippi! I’d take a 120-degree DRY summer over this crazy humidity any day! It’s miserable. Oh, and did I mention I’m eight months pregnant?! EEK! We’ve been spending a lot of time in the pool and at the local splash pad, then coming home and enjoying homemade raspberry lemonade popsicles (or “pocsiples” as my three-year-old calls them). My kids don’t seem phased at all by the heat, which amazes me. I wonder at what age comfort becomes more important than playing? :)

Melissa says:

You are SO right about the humidity vs the heat. I’m in Toronto, and Toronto (especially the downtown part of the city) is the absolute worst. It’ll be 30-40+ C all summer PLUS 100% humidity all the time. I’ve been to Georgia (albeit, not in the dead July of the summer) and it doesn’t even compare. It’s AWFUL.

I’ve heard people insist that dry heat is worst than humid heat and I can’t even fathom it. I was talking to a man today who moved to Toronto from Pakistan, where he said it regularly topped 45 or 50 C — and he said the humidity of Toronto is WORSE.

I don’t have a pool or even a sprinkler system but today on my walk home I saw a guy watering his front lawn with a hose and I had to stop myself from jumping in the path of the water.

Julie says:

My two-year-old has that swimming suit. $2 at Old Navy I believe. Looks like fun.

Jenny says:

Born and raised Mesa native, transplanted to Nampa, ID. We have (permanently) said farewell to the miserable heat of AZ and YIPPEE to the lovely, COOL weather of Idaho. In fact, this past week we have still been able to wear sweaters. Yes, sweaters. (Sipping hot chocolate) “Ahhh…..”

Alicia says:

Glad to know your a ga girl now! I’m born and raised in ga. The heat is awful! It feels like August in June this year…My husband farms and when he comes home there’s not a dry piece of clothing on him. We swim alot and really don’t go out except in the early mornin’ and late afternoon.

Rachel says:

Well, this morning I turned the heater on because the house was chilly. Up here in WA state it is a cool 52 degrees. I am waiting for summer or even SPRING weather to arrive! But, we also have beautiful trees, grass, flowers blooming everywhere. I grew up in New Mexico and sometimes struggle with the cool weather here (the rain doesn’t bother me).

Sher says:

Anytime I see sprinklers I have to stop what I’m doing and run through them. I don’t care what I’m wearing. And it’s so fun now that I have a cute toddler to run through them with. I’m in west Phoenix so we’re always finding ways to cool off. I’ve heard the humidity is far worse than the dry heat. hope you stay nice and cool!

Jamie Olger says:

I randomly read your blog sometimes and just saw that you were from Sierra Vista, we are actually moving there on Sunday from Michigan! Too funny!

Elizabeth says:

I wish we had weather like that here in Idaho. The past month it feels like it has been all rain. We are experiencing flooding and everything. It stinks having to still wear a coat to keep warm outside.

I am in Sierra Vista as we speak. I had lived here for about 3 years now . I have loved your blog for a long time, and it was so fun to read that you are from Sierra Vista. Keep enjoying your summer.

Kristina says:

I didn’t know that’s where you grew up! My husband’s grandparents live in Sierra Vista (maybe you know them? Is it a small town?), and we’re planning on visiting them soon. We’re in Gilbert, AZ–and being from CA, I never thought I’d find heat worse than there. I was so wrong. But I really don’t envy you the humidity. Good luck! ;)

I agree, humid heat is worse than dry heat! Great sprinkler pictures!

Carissa says:

I’ve just been perusing through your blog because one of my friends here in Flagstaff referenced it {I like your crafts!}, then I noticed a cousin of mine from Utah follows as well, and I thought hey, small world. Then I got even more excited when I saw you were from Sierra Vista–I grew up there!

Sarah Mason says:

I would have to be one of those “weird ones” who prefers humidity over dry heat. Yes, it may feel hotter, but at least my skin isn’t having to be lathered in lotion 6 times a day. I grew up in Austin, TeXas and now live in Utah. I hate dry heat and would give anything to live in humidity anytime! I remember those days as a kid spending every day of summer at the pool and coming home only to run through the sprinkles. I love these photos and LOVE your daughters ruffly swim suit:) I am definitely going to try out that delicious looking slushy!

Jeanette says:

I am totally in love with your blog and have spent literally hours reading it today between loads of laundry! I got super stoked when you mentioned Sierra Vista. We lived there from ’95-’04 but now live in hot, humid Missouri. My oldest daughter and her husband still live there and youngest daughter was born there in ’96. Anyway, I miss it and the dry heat terribly. Visited two weeks ago and was teasing my husband about whether my airline ticket was a one way or round trip”

katie says:

my husband is from sierra vista. did you know any varga’s there? you’re probably about the same age as one of his sisters, aubrey or farrah?