The ‘MISTER’ Make It and Love It Series: Making Crayons

I’m sure glad this husband of mine planned ahead with me and busily created some projects with the kids a couple of months ago.  It was fun to see him in action with the kids, while I took the pictures.  He has been a fantastic guest blogger while I’ve been munching on a newborn.  However, I should have taught him how to edit and upload pictures and text.  Ha!
Did you see the other two MISTER Make It and Love It posts, found here and here?
Thanks Steve, for taking over the content of the posts for the last week or so, while baby and I have been re-cooperating.   It’s been lovely.
(Yes, I had my baby…..in case you missed it, you can read about it here and here.)
. . .
As for the last post in this little series with the Mister…………some new molded crayons were made with the kiddos.   (I think he felt like a kid again making these crayons.  And may have loved doing this just as much as they did.)
I’m sure many of you have seen this done several times and in many different ways.  Nothing new here.  But this is another great project that daddy’s can do with their kids.  Or uncles or grandpa’s.  (Or just an idea for a rainy day.)  And you don’t have to be terribly creative to be successful with this project.  Perfect, right?
First, pull out all of those old broken crayons and start peeling all the papers away.  (Or, like in our case, buy a fresh new box of crayons.)  The kids have fun with this part and loved the freedom of being destructive.
If you’re having trouble getting some of the papers off, cut a slit down the side of the crayon and then peel the paper away.  Saves some time.
You will need a nice variety of colors, all freshly peeled and broken.
Next, you can use any sort of oven safe molds for the next step.  I bought these silicone molds at IKEA for a dollar or two and they worked great.  (However, they are now officially crayon molds because I can’t get the crayon off.  But that’s okay, because more crayons will be made with these in our future.)
Next, start filling up the little molds with a variety of colors, breaking up the crayon pieces a little smaller if necessary.
Make sure to let those little hands help.  They will love this.  (You can even have the older children sort by color……they’ll love the task.)
Then place the molds in a pre-heated 250 degree (F) oven for 5-10 minutes…….peeking in on them every so often.  Also, place tin foil down on the rack below the crayons, in case there are any spills.  Crayon would not be fun to clean out of the oven.
When you have noticed that the crayons are almost all the way melted, use a toothpick to gently poke at the crayons……..releasing some of the air pockets.  But you don’t want to actually mix it because you want your colors to stay separate and vibrant.
Once the crayons are completely melted, pull the molds out of the oven and allow them to rest on the counter until cooled.  (It took about 15 minutes for crayons this size.)
**Variation: You can melt crayons in the microwave (in a bowl) and pour the liquid wax into molds.  However, doing it this way won’t give you such a nice chunky color variety in each crayon.  But it would still work great and produce a fun new crayon shape.
Then place the molds in the freezer to allow them to really harden…….and speed up the cooling process.  (I left them in the freezer for about 15 minutes.)
Next, run the bottoms of each mold under hot water, to help soften up the silicone tray and help separate the crayons from the bottom of the mold.  Then push the molds from the bottom and pop out each crayon.
Now you should have a lovely assortment of fresh new crayons.
In lots of child-pleasing shapes.
You may feel jealous that you never had these as a kid.  Well, I was.
(I would have loved having these in my little crayon caboodle as a little girl, all ready for my 1st grade coloring sheets.  Wowza.)
Now the other fun part.
Using the new crayons.
Roll out some paper on the floor and let the kids have at it.
And teach them how to draw something new.
They’ll feel so proud.
And if the person helping with the project is anything like my husband, they’ll be just as happy on the floor with kids.
Enjoy!

Filed under Children, Family, Kid Craft, Mini Series, Mister Make It and Love It, No Sew

Comments

76 Responses to “The ‘MISTER’ Make It and Love It Series: Making Crayons”
    Sheila says:

I love this! And I love your site. I can't wait to do this with my almost 4 yo.

Keep the wonderful ideas coming, please!

Cherie@DragonfliezCreationz says:

Too Cute!
    I make crayons like that in my mini muffin tin. It isnt any easier getting the crayon out of it. My kids have always loved it and my oldest is now 17.

Kid Rock Tickets says:

That fantastic! realy! these website is way better then everything I ever saw.

Patti says:

Fun, fun! I knew you could do this but for some reason I have never tried it. My kids are going to love this! Thanks for the nudge to make some new FUN crayons!
    I'm thinking I need to make some bunny and chick crayons to stuff in the Easter baskets!

Nina says:

I've been wanting to try this project with my little guy for a while now! What do you think about dusting the pans with a little cornstarch before putting the crayon chunks in to aid in removal?

Shanna says:

Great idea!! I have tried this before in just a mini muffin tin, but I LOVE the shapes!

Shanna

K2 says:

Nice idea! I will try it.

Brittany says:

These are so much fun to make! We always put a dab of vegetable oil in our tins to help them from not sticking and most of the crayon comes off. Then again we were using.muffin tins so maybe it won't work with silicon tins.

-Brittany

BECKY says:

you have SUCH a beautiful family.

Sandrine says:

This is such a brilliant idea… I'll keep that in mind for my son's 5th birthday, his friends will get nice crayons as presents (they might even make them)… How long does it take to cool down before the children can use them ?

Sandrine, great idea for a party! It took mine about 15 minutes to cool and then I stuck them into the freezer for another 15 minutes. And thanks for asking, I added that to the instructions.

Best of luck!

Lixa says:

thanks for the inspiration! since i don't have wax crayons, but have wax (I make cosmetics for us), i thought about making myself some crayons. and found this: http://ourholisticlife.blogspot.com/2008/02/beeswax-crayons.html
    i'm going to make some this week. i'm really curious if they work

Cerise says:

Those are fantastic! LOVE the fish!! I'm going to have to find some oven safe molds!

Sara says:

Do you find that when you use the silicone molds that the crayons come out a little "smeary"? Any solutions other than using candy molds? I find the ice cube molds come in better shapes…but I don't like how much they smear on my fingers.

Jane says:

The only time mine have come out weird or smeary is when I have used cheap crayons. Now I only use Crayola and no more weird textures.

tracyp says:

So cute! I might have found a new use for my IKEA ice cube molds!

Tara says:

Can you use the ice cube molds in the oven? I assumed that you needed to buy a special mold that could withstand the heat in the oven.

Colleen says:

Love, love, love this idea. I used to teach preschool and I would save the broken crayons and melt them in muffin tins. I would give the kids their own multicolored crayons as treats. But I love the idea of using the fun molds! hmmm… a trip to Ikea might be in order!

I used these trays in the oven since they're silicone…..but I wouldn't use the regular plastic ones. They would for sure melt. But the silicone did just fine at 250 degrees in the oven.

Good luck!

Chrystal's Corner says:

Isn't this fun? I have done this before (http://chrystal-lewis.blogspot.com/2010/04/recycling-old-crayons-into-new-crayons_02.html)but I would really love to get some cute molds:)

Jewels says:

That's such a brilliant idea! I had quite the crayon collection as a kid, and mine inherited it, but so many are broken. This is such an awesome way to keep the crayons alive without so many tiny broken pieces! Thank you!!

It's not necessary to put the molds in the freezer. I found that if you leave them sitting out on the counter until completely cool, about 30-45 min. the crayons pop out of the molds just fine and don't leave any crayon mess behind. Plus, they still have that shiny coat like store bought crayons.

Chance says:

What a good daddy! I love the fish mold!

Andrea says:

Definitely using this tutorial for my son's 3rd birthday party goodies! We are having an aquarium themed party so this is perfect :)

Heather Feather says:

I remember my mom made crayons for us when we were little but they hadn't invented the cool plastic oven molds. This is so fun for kids!

Kathryn says:

We made these one year for my 4 kids to give to their classmantes at school on Valentine's Day – SUPER cute! We used heart-shaped silicone molds, of course.

Thanks for the reminder… We need to make these again. :)

Erin says:

You just reminded me I need to make a trip to Ikea. I love that place. Love the crayons too!

Alexis says:

Another quick trick – soak the crayons in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes – the papers will slip right off (no messy peeling required) and the crayons remain unharmed.

Golden Key says:

This is great! I will def. make some for my little cousins when I have to babysit them over the summer! thanks for you blog.

care to check out mine?

neenajay.blogspot.com

-Nina jay

Jenny! {www.alongthelei.blogspot.com} says:

I just have to tell you how much I really like this!!! I can imagine bagging them up in pretty goody bags for little girl/boy sleepovers!! I can't wait until my daughter is old enough!

Krista says:

This is a great beginning of the summer activity for school aged kids! Bring home the left over crayons from the classroom, and make fun summertime crayons!
    * Also, I LOVE your daughter's skirt and tights!

Fun, Cheap, or Free! says:

Thanks for the cute idea! I have it scheduled to post for our "Super Savvy Saturday" post this Saturday on http://www.funcheaporfree.com. Can't wait to share!

Anne Magee says:

This is awesome! My older daughter begged for a Crayola crayon maker for Christmas… I feel gypped because it only works with real lightbulbs, not extended life… and they don't even make those bulbs anymore! :( This is so much better!

Anika Bee says:

I nominated you for the Stylish Blogger Award :)
    You can get it here:

Hannah says:

Thanks for sharing! And congratulations on your beautiful new daughter!
    I am grateful for the detailed instructions. I tried making my own, a 2nd time around. The first time I made them right, the 2nd time I turned the heat up too high and this happened http://shopbonnenouvelle.blogspot.com/2010/10/accidents-happen.html

So I will be buying some more from Ikea knowing that they will work! i also like the microwave idea…but would I need to use a paper bowl so it doesn't melt crayon over a pyrex? Also, do your molds stay stained afterward too, bcse mine did so I could only use them for this purpose again.

Hi, I have been reading your blog for some time now and I love all your posts. I have even made some of your projects and they came out great because of your great directions.
    Congratulations on your new daughter, she is absolutely beautiful.

Was wondering, where do you get all your daughter's great leggings? I have a 5 year old granddaughter and would love to get her some colorful ones especially ones with stripes.
    Thanks for your blog, Jan

Cara says:

So cute! I just thought I'd mention that if you're interested in using the molds for something besides crayons you might try putting them in the freezer overnight. You might be able to crack out the rest of the wax if it's frozen. I don't know if it will work for sure, but it's worth a try.

Amanda Mays says:

im so trying those crayon ideas

*Michigan Momma* says:

We have done this! We just used the bottom for a *really* old muffin tin ~ so we had round, flat crayons – but they work quite well! And such great colors. We used "similar" colors in each tin – so each new crayon had variations on one color. Turned out nice!

And great pictures!! WTG Dad!!

Britney Anglesey says:

Love doing these and loved the the new molds to try! We did them tonight however and all the fish tails broke off popping them out of the molds! I tried every different way I could think of. Help! Any suggestions?

Sherice says:

So much fun! Thanks for all of your wonderful ideas:)

Grace One Hundred says:

I can't wait to try these! My kids are going to love them! And for some strange reason, they think once a crayon breaks, it's truly "broken" and don't like to use it anymore. I'm always rounding up broken crayons. Now I have a use for them! Great post!!!

JennP says:

My little guys love Mister Makeit Loveit….keep up the great work.

Britney –

Hmmmm……our fish tails didn't have a problem coming out. Did you freeze the crayon molds? And then did you run the molds under warm water along the bottom? You need to get the crayons back to room temperature before cracking them out. If they're still too cold, it will probably crack more.

OR, you could wait and let them sit on the counter for an hour (?) and let them completely cool on their own. Maybe that would help??

Best of luck and I hope that was helpful!

I am having a lot of trouble with my fish tails and my starfish points coming out……I have followed directions and I am using the Ikea silicone molds. I am trying to make enough to give for grade 1 year end gifts but I am getting really frustrated!
      It doesn’t look like many people are having this problem. What am I missing?

I tried this a few years ago and it messed up my silicone molds, left some waxy residue on them that I couldnt remove – but everytime I tried to make icecubes it came off onto them.
    So make sure you save these molds for crafts afterwards.

Jane says:

I got the waxy residue and crayon smell out by filling each well of the mold with white vinegar, let it sit for an hour or so, then scrub in hot soapy water.

trashmaster46 says:

I've made crayons before, but always in the muffin pan. I even bought a Crayola Crayon Maker and was disappointed to find out it's a modified Easy Bake Oven that only puts out half-sized crayons. I hadn't even thought about the silicone molds before! They're always turning up at Goodwill. Thanks for the idea!

Misty says:

These are wonderful for kiddos that need work on their fine motor skills as well because they have to pinch them to color!

Portugirl says:

I am in love with your site! Keep up the good work!;)

aj says:

these r so great!! nice work and keep up with your site!

tiffany says:

i have used these also. love it. but i have had a few melt in the oven. they were actually ice trays-so not intended for the oven. so now i melt the crayons in soup cans…and then pour them into my molds.

karli says:

I’ve made these before as party favours and prizes. i did have to warn the parents of the 2 and 3 year olds so that they kids didn’t eat them. I never had any trouble removing the crayons from the pans whether they were silicon or tin but I put let them cool over night or put them in the freezer for an hour or so. I find that they pull away from the edges of the moulds adn just fall out by them selves when I turn the trays over. No oil or anyhting else needed.

coreen says:

Where at in IKEA did you find the molds? I’m not near a store, so I was looking online. No luck. Any ideas on how I can get the molds? I was going to refurbish crayons for our church nursery. Thanks.

Abbi says:

Hi, I too have the pinwheel Ikea mold- I am having trouble with getting the crayons out without breaking them. Any tips?

Jami J says:

Ashley, I love this idea! I actually just posted about how I decided to make crayons and I linked back to this post :D… Come take a look :D

Charley says:

Ummmmm I used the UK’s Ikea mould (exactly the same as in your picture) and put them in the oven at 200deg and they melted!!! Just wanted to warn anybody in the UK. I have no idea why they are different to yours but anyway. Thanks for the tutorial though, I will go and find some moulds which wont melt … lol!! :-)

AMM says:

I suppose it is possible that the molds sold in the UK/Europe could be made differently, but did you use 200 Centigrade or Fahrenheit? You probably know that there’s a big difference between a temp in C and a temp in F (see below, with rounding), but for most people look over the units since most “no one” at home uses the other system… It only crossed my mind because I work in a research lab and use centigrade by day and Fahrenheit by night.

250 F = 120 C
      200 C = 390 F

Good oven safe silicone is usually good to about 500 F (260 C), but as much as i love IKEA, I’m not sure if their molds are oven safe (they look like ice cube molds to me) or how high a temp they are rated to, if they are indeed oven safe.

Joanna says:

Just to say I did this last night using my UK ikea mould and stuck it on the lowest heat setting on my oven and just. Necked it every 5 mins. Probably took 15 mins in total and it didn’t melt! (80-100C)
      But I did have a problem trying to remove the jigsaw pieces out of the mould ( think I left it in the freezer bit too long and even after sitting it in hot water, I managed to break the little connector bits on most of them!)
      Think the trick is not too high heat for longer time, maybe freeze for less time and not to rush trying to get it out the mould ( bring to room temp properly). I also placed glitter in my moulds first then put the crayons in and the tops came out out lovely and glittery!

Mickey4me says:

Easiest way to get paper off crayons – soak in a bucket of water over night. Crayola papers slip right off. Rose Art crayons have to still be scraped off – argh!

Rae says:

I have always loved this blog, but when I found your post about making crayons I had to include it on my blog for better birthday party loot bag solutions. Keep up the great tutorials, Ashley. There’s so many things on your site I want to make.

Aravel says:

Hi! I’m a spanish mom of a 6 years old girl , and I love your blog. I read it a long time ago, and I’ve made some of your proyects with your great instructions. I have the same Ikea molds than you and I tried to do this today. I need to tell you that the crayons were melted, but unfortunately the molds too when I tried to take it out of the oven… :(

Congratulations for the blog and your lovely Kids.

Kim Brazell says:

Hi there,

I would like to say I love this idea. I am going to share it on facebook.
    Another great craft idea for the kids for the holidays.

Alright Texans, Ikea says that you can’t put those molds in the oven (they say freezer use only), but I’m glad to know it worked, what temp did you set your oven at? And, for us Texans, we just put our crayons outside for a couple hours, they melt up in a jiffy!

Kristy says:

I bought some molds at walmart and mine melted WAY before the crayons even got hot. Lucky the enourmous stink alerted me before anything really bad happened. We ended up taking a muffin pan out of the donate box and used it. It was really great. They just popped out when cooled but it’s hard to color with a large circular crayon. Not very good for much besides scribbles but they were fun to make none the less. We also just used left over and misc crayons from restraunts and they turned out slimey and melted wierd so i think it’s crayola or nothing on this project.

Anita says:

I am a kindergarten teacher and have been looking for a good way to melt those millions of crayons I keep each year because I won’t throw them away. We have too many kids who have nothing at our school, much less school supplies. This idea will be so useful and I can’t wait to see their faces when I hand them a bag of these. I love the photos of your family. Enjoy each second, children grow so fast. It is wonderful to see you and your husband giving such wonderful time with your children. They will never forget.

Belynda says:

I love this idea.. tried it but had to cook them 15-20 min but they still turned out cute!!