Glass Etching

Have you ever done any glass etching?

Well, neither had I before today.

But wow.  Such an easy, yet sweet little touch that you can add to any glass.

Check out my new and improved etched Trifle Bowl.

The perfect bowl for desserts of all kinds…..and even a great place for fresh fruit on the counter.  And I kind of adore that little bird perched on the branch.

Glass etching is also a great way to stamp your name on your pyrex dishes, to make sure they come back to you.

And how about adding a little extra detail, just because……
(Edited to Add: The font used here is called Smiley Monster and I downloaded the font for free here.)

Sweet in every way.

Are you wanting to make your own?

(This technique permanently etches your glass.  You cannot remove it once you’re done.  With that said, your creation will not rub or wash off, and will stay put as long as the dish lasts.)

First, you’ll need a piece of vinyl with an adhesive back, like the vinyl you buy for vinyl wall decor.  You can buy rolls or sheets of it at craft stores (if you must have some today) or you can buy some great vinyl much cheaper from one of my sponsors, Expressions Vinyl.   If you don’t have a craft cutter of some sort to cut the image for you (like I did), then you can trace an image, shape, or letters on the vinyl and then cut it out with an exacto knife, or utility knife.  (And I haven’t tried this but I think you may be able to do the glass etching technique with a piece of contact paper, if you’re going to be cutting out your shapes free hand with an exacto knife.)

Then peel away the shapes, leaving the negative space all in one piece.  (Keep in mind if you are using an exacto knife, to not cut through the negative space.  Cut away the shapes/letters, but leave the main piece together, without cuts or tears in it.
The Silhouette code for the bird/branch is: bird_on_branch_C00044_23067 01/18/2010

Then place a piece of transfer paper (you could use contact paper for this too I’m guessing…) that is sticky on one side, to the front of your vinyl.

Then peel the vinyl backing away.  (The red side that you see below is the sticky side.)

Then place your vinyl against your glass, making sure to center the image just where you’d like it.  Press down firmly, then pull off the transfer paper/contact paper.

See how there are air bubbles?  Press those down firmly with your fingers.  If they are far from the opening of your image, don’t worry about them.  You just don’t want the etching cream to get in under the edges and mess up the image.

Then apply a layer of your etching cream on the exposed glass.  (I found this cream at Michael’s.)  Follow the instructions on the bottle and allow the cream to sit and rough up the glass surface.  (I left mine to sit for about 10 minutes.)
**Again, this process makes the etching permanent.  The cream is an acid, and etches away at the surface of your glass…….transforming the look of your glass permanently.  So you cannot rub or wash the etching off.

Then I rinsed off really well with water and used my fingers to rub it all off.  Then I peeled back the vinyl and rinsed again with soap and water.

Dry your glass and admire the beautiful etching, all done for you by the cream.

Good luck!

Such a great technique, right?

And just think…….you could put together some pyrex dishes for a newly married couple, etched with their new last name.  Then throw in some hot pads, cooking utensils, and your favorite recipes.  Perfect gift.

Filed under Gift Ideas, Miscellaneous, No Sew, Silhouette Craft Cutter

Comments

434 Responses to “Glass Etching”
    Sisters of Grace says:

That is realy neat I had no clue how to do that!

♥Michelle

Amanda says:

does the cream just make it look etched, or is the glass really changed?

Amanda, I just added a better explanation of this to the post, but yes, it is really etched. The cream is an acid so it etches away at the surface of the glass, making this a permanent transformation to the glass. hope that answers your question.

bethanndodd says:

love it! i want to "enhance" some glass right now!!!

Amanda Dale says:

I was just thinking about doing this on our mirrors in the master bathroom. They are those large, builders mirrors and we don't want to hassle with taking them down. Glad to know it works so great!

Carlie Sue says:

we did this a little while ago – here's some of our finished projects- thanks for the tutorial!

we did it on a glass pitcher- it didn't show up as well with the water in it…

Domesticated-Bliss says:

That is really awesome! I love the idea of etching your last name in dishes so no one is tempted to keep them when you loan them out :)

kpmattingly says:

I love this idea….especially for the glass dishes….it would be a cool wedding/bridal shower gift!

jneely says:

There’s so many ideas you can do w/ glass etching! I’ve put my name on pyrex dishes, but I’ve also done champagne flutes, wine glasses, and beer mugs for weddings; glass plates (for use or decoration) for anniversaries and a new home; as well as glass blocks for weddings, anniversaries, and Christmas decorations. What’s also fun is working w/ mirrors! I love my Cricut! But you can also get patterns and letters at Hobby Lobby & Michael’s, although there’s not a large assortment to choose from. For glass pieces to practice on, hit up the Dollar Store. If the piece looks good, you can use it. If not, you only spent $1.00! HAVE FUN! :)

Mardi says:

Ashley! I am in love with this! How awesome. I would have my name on everything, if I had a cricut! You are so talented!

Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE! Oh the trifle bowl is too cute! Thanks for the inspiration – I can't wait to give it a try. :)

Kimi says:

I love the pattern that you used. Which cartridge is that from?

I'm just now starting to play with my cricut, and have a lot to learn.

Billy says:

My cute hubby makes wedding glasses for all his family. He has always used contact paper and an exacto knife … he has now added the date to the stem with the cricut as it can cut smaller letters than he can. I love the pyrex idea … cute wedding gift.

JKGROSS says:

That is so pretty!

Annie-Staten says:

Great idea for not losing your dishes at church potlucks anymore! lol

Jessica says:

I LOVE this! I have a silhouette and love finding new ways to use it! I also am obsessed with my pyrex so when it gets lost I get very sad!

Thanks!

Tracy says:

I have done etching before, but I love the name idea, you would never loose your dish at a party!

BECKY says:

super cute!

I love the bird, he is so cute! What cartridge did you use?

Emily says:

I have been doing etching for a couple of years now and love it! Be careful with vertical surface when using the cream. If it starts to run down the side you could end up with spots or streaks outside the patterned area. I also got a glass engraver for Christmas so I've been working on some freehand work as well. Great post!

Darlene Olsen says:

You can mask off the area below and around with masking tape, to protect the area you do not want etched

~*~ says:

I'm assuming from everyone who has done this before that baking/dishwashing/microwaving doesn't mar the image since it's permanent?

I love the idea but was wondering about the wear and tear of it.

raija says:

no it wont mar the image at all … whats great is with etching you can even run it through the dishwasher and not have any problems where dishes that have been engraved could explode cause you are cutting the glass and with etching your only putting an acid base on the glass.

Lisa and Daniel says:

this is random! have you ever heard of a Microwave Potato Bag? I have been hearing a lot about a bag that you could make to mocrowave potatoes in and they turn out just as good as in the oven! If you have heard of this, I was wondering if you could do a Tutorial? I would love to learn how to make one!

Debbie says:

I’ve never heard about a Microwave Potato Bag, but it sounds interesting. Pampered Chef makes a Microwave Chip Maker that makes great, healthy chips! Check out my website, if you’re interested. http://www.pamperedchef.biz/debandrickyskitchen

Have a great day!

Steve says:

My mom makes these all the time and I use them constantly. They work great and I tale them to work and use them there also.

Missy K says:

I have one and really like it! My daughter likes her potatoes peeled and this seems to make it easier to peel, too.

Pcaker says:

You can poke holes in any potato with a fork on all sides and wrap it in a paper towel. Microwave on high for five minutes. As soon as it is done cooking, have a square of tinfoil ready and wrap it quickly and tightly (over the paper towel is fine). Set aside. Wait an additional five minutes for it to finish cooking inside the tinfoil. They are just as good as the oven, and quick! :-)

Kami says:

I need to buy a new trifle dish, but was wondering if I would ever use it. Well I am going to buy one today! So cute. Just like everyone else I am wondering, what cartridge you used.

Katie says:

love the look! i have done glass etching before and it is super easy! love your idea for wedding gifts!

MaryEllen@TheDealScoop says:

Wow! That's so cool! I stink at crafts, but since the etching cream does the work for you, I think I could do this!

lesli says:

i love this idea!! thanks for sharing it :) so creative!

Tauni says:

Love, love, love the trifle dish! What a cute idea.

I've tried this before, but I am loving your darling design. Feeling inspired.

Lisa says:

This is so pretty! I love the idea of putting your name on it so you can always find it : )

Molly says:

OH MY GOSH!!! I have done lots of etching at my house. I have used the etching cream and the frosted spray paint. You can see some of my creations here:

But…I am totally in love with the idea of putting your name on a dish. How stinking cute is that! And then you really wowed my by simply suggesting to give it as a wedding gift. I can't say enough about it. Precious, simply precious

Uska B Hope says:

óoooooootima dica!!! Lindo!

Julie says:

I use to do this alot, I even etched on my semi truck windows. It's been a long time since I've done this, thanks for reminding me. You did an excellent job.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Take care and God Bless!!!

The Julanders says:

Just played with etching last Christmas. We STAMPED our image, then embossed it. We used contact paper as a circle stencil of sorts and etched inside the circle. Once done, we scraped off the embossing and were left with a clear imagine inside an etched circle. Kinda a fun alternative. (sorry I don't have a picture, my last plate is tucked away with Christmas deco, we used the plates for neighbor/friends gifts.)

Jenine says:

very very very cute. I'm assuming you used your cricut, how did you get it to cut only the top layer of your vinyl?

Jenine says:

raija says:

try setting your cricut blade depth to 3 and your pressure to med. and your speed to med see if that works…you just got to play with the blade depth.

Kami says:

Jenine- I saw your problem and thought I would add my 2 cents. If you are cutting through the vinyl and the backing paper your pressure is too high. At the right pressure it should just cut the vinyl.

Robyn says:

My friends got 15 pyrex dishes with their name on it for their wedding. No one needs 15 pyrex dishes when they're first married. Sad thing is they couldn't return any of them and they couldn't re-gift them either…

I realize this is an old post, but I was thinking about the problems this could cause, too. We received several dishes with the wrong initial in them, because people made assumptions on what our last name would be and guessed wrong. Since it was just an inital, I was able to give the items away on Craigslist… I think this is a great idea, but perhaps no more than a handful of items — and make sure you double-check to make sure you have the right name!

may says:

Effort went into each gift – I wouldn’t see this as a problem – say thank you, and use them to freeze lots of pretty casseroles!

Nelson Family says:

So Darling, I will have to give it a shot with some of our glass dishes!

Victoria Haveman says:

Did you use a cricut machine? If so what cartridge for the bird and limb?

Krystle says:

Another great place for vinyl lettering is http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1276554709/ref=sr_pg_1?ie=UTF8&bbn=1055398&rh=n%3A1055398%2Cn%3A!1063498%2Cp_4%3AWall%20Sayings%20Vinyl%20Lettering&page=1 They have great prices! I love getting my vinyl from them! Or if you're ever near Bountiful, UT you can visit their store, JUST A THOUGHT. Love all the great ideas you have!

2 Giggle Boxes says:

That is LOVELY! It would make a fabulous gift!

Alaina says:

I absolutely love that idea! I didn't know you could do that on your own! I have got to try that out!

Kelli says:

I've etched things before but this technique is much easier than what I tried!

~Kelli @ Smidgens

Josh and Cambree says:

What a great idea, and SO much more simple than I ever thought! (P.S. I know your friend J.Getz in Rexburg!)

brandy says:

The girls at our church did glass etched plates for a girl's camp fundraiser. We had them coming out our ears! Contact paper works exactly like vinyl and is much much cheaper. You can cut contact paper with a cricut as well. Yours turned out darling!

Jenn says:

That is awesome! I especially love the trifle bowl! And I have to say I love your blog

Refugee Crafter says:

You are brilliant!

Kimberly says:

I LOVE glass etching! But your trifle bowl is the cutest thing I've ever seen!! Yes, contact paper works just as well and can be a lot cheaper.

D'Anna says:

So cute! I love the wedding gift idea! Maybe instead of their name you could do a sweet design . . . that way it can be re-gifted . . . just in case! : )

Courtney says:

Wow, I love glass etching! I've always wanted to do it, but it looked so hard. You do such a good job and make it seem easy. I saw this on Martha Stewart and you beyond showed her up!!! Can't wait to try this!

cole says:

no more lost dishes in someone elses house! i have a few of these that my mom gave me for christmas and when i take a meal to someone, i always use one of them. i always have gotten my dishes back!

PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

This is fabulous! I've always wondered how to do this. Thank you so much for sharing!

Aly says:

I've always used contact paper too, but I just lightly sandblasted the image instead of using the etching cream. Works too.

gr5coat says:

I have etched inexpensive beer steins with first names for a rootbeer gift basket. I love being able to transform a cheap gift into a really neat one, everyone LOVES their name on a glass.

@Home-Mom says:

wow, this is so martha stewart (whom I secretly adore) without all the complicatedness. thanks I have tons of pyrex too. I'm just thinking of all the great gifts you could make for the holidays

I just stumbled upon this and im so glad I did! This is such a great gift idea! CANNOT wait to try it! :)

Carol says:

Etching a casserole dish is a brilliant idea! Hey, that would make a cute wedding present too…

[email protected] says:

Aww, your bowl is so cute! And I love the casserole dish. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

Country Girl in the City says:

I love this! The little birdie is so cute and now I want to go out and get a trifle bowl just so I can make one like it. Love the pyrex dishes and I will certainly be doing this one day! Now I just need to make it out to Michael's sometime for some etching cream. I did glass etching waaaaay back in high school at class and I would love to give it a try again.

If you ever have a minute, stop by my blog and say hi.

Paige says:

I'm teaching this at church this month. I bought the vinyl cling sheets for stencils and cut some designs using the Cricut. They stick to the glass well. And if you handle it carefully they are reusable.

RootsAndWingsCo says:

That is so funny you chose those two things to etch on! Great minds must think alike because we did those things too! I love both uses! This is our trifle bowl we did with thanks: http://rootsandwingsco.blogspot.com/2009/09/thankful-candy-dish.html
    Here's our pyrex dishes:
    Rebecca@RootsAndWingsCo

coreysmom says:

Try http://www.phrazecrazy.com. they have very nice ideas with vinyl and very good prices as well. I have ordered all my vinyl fom them as well as at boutiques and craft shows throughout the valley ;)

Bethany says:

I love this- especially your design on the trifle bowl- whimsical and sweet!

Hanneke Nelson says:

I love the idea of etching pyrex dishes! I etched a little glass myself the other day and made a few mistakes here and there that taught a valuable lesson or two. Best one: glass etching cream can be reused! I wrote them down for you here http://dutchgirloriginals.blogspot.com/2010/06/lessons-in-glass-etching.html

Hanneke

Crafty Batches says:

Simply amazing, probably the easiest tutorial that I've seen so far! ~Sam

Josie Dean says:

This would look real cool on your shower glass! Or could you do it on mirrors??????? Just endless!

Creekermom says:

I did this "way back" in high school but recently purchased some glass mugs and wanted to do the glass etching on the to give as a set and since it has been a quarter of a century I am really thrilled to have found your site and the step by step instructions.

Becky Whitney says:

I my daughter would love the Rhinestones but I love the etching and the wall art!

Megan says:

I think it's funny you posted this, we use a cricut and etch gifts for weddings and bridal showers. We etch pyrex all the time and use sayings like "Lovin' from Megan's oven". We've also etched water goblets and mirrors. They make great gifts!

Denna says:

Hi. I tried the etching today on a pyrex bowl. It didn’t work. Then I noticed on the front bottom of myArmour Etch bottle
      It says it won’t etch some types of pyrex. Does anyone know what types of pyrex to avoid? I thought pyrex was pyrex.

Anyone have any ideas why mine didn’t work?

Megan says:

southernscraps says:

These are awesome. Thanks for sharing.

CapriOrca8 says:

I have also used contact paper in my cricuit and it worked well. You have to be a little more careful with tranfering it onto the glass.

The Haggerty Family says:

LOVE the glass etching! What a great thing for gifts. Much easier than I have tried to do in the past.

evolve by mona says:

That turned into a really great piece. Did you do it with a cricut?
    I have one and need to learn how to use it that is a beautiful piece.

~JeNn ChErRy~ says:

I love it! I had some lady at Roberts trying to explain this to me and in my head I thought the machine was cutting the glass…I totally didn't understand. This makes SO MUCH MORE SENSE! Thank you for your pic!

jeremy and steph says:

LOVE this!!! How long do you think your bottle of etching cream will last? Did you use it all for this one project?
    thanks!

Liam says:

The cream is reusable. Once the etch is done, scrape it off with a wooden stick (I use wooden coffee shop stirrers) and put it back in the bottle. This means you don’t need to be shy with the cream, ensuring a good etch.

Angie says:

I adore the pyrex! (The triffle bowl, too!) I am making the pyrex, a recipe book, and the cute hand towels you added fabric to for a house warming gift for some friends, and a wedding gift for some other friends. Thank you for the great ideas! I will try to add some pictures to the "you made it" section! :)

Steph,

I have the small bottle and have used it on several more projects than the ones shown here. I read on another site that you can scrape the cream off and re-use it on other projects. That's what I have done and it still has worked great for me.

Hope that helps!

Maggie Reno says:

These are adorable. What font did you use on the pyrex dish? I'm working on the vinyl for a friend.

Maggie, I'm pretty sure it was 'smiley monster' that I got for free from this website:

Good luck!

So I've tried etching and it works but in your pictures the etching is much brighter and visible. Am I doing something wrong?

Angela says:

Yes, same issue here: etching is light, not as “white” as the pictures here. Anyone have tips as to why? Thanks.

• 79.1.1
        Randa says:

Is there anyway to add color??

Great idea and I’m doing this for christmas gifts this year.

Randa

• 79.1.2
        Sheena says:

If you want a “darker” etching: after you etch it the first time and wash the cream off, dry your item off really well then apply more etching cream, wait another 10 mins or so, then just wash it off. You can do this a couple times and it works really well. On one dish I did, I etched it 3 times before I liked the way it looked!

Mollie says:

I did an etching project in an art class – we used cheap shelf liner (he called it contact paper, so whatever term works best for you) and it worked pretty well. Yo just have to be careful apply it around edges so that it doesn't pull up or anything. I got points off because the paper slipped because I brushed too hard.

Jeromy and Meghan says:

Where can you find the pictures to etch? Is it a software or something?

The images that I used to cut into the vinyl is with the software that came with my Silhouette machine. (Craft and vinyl cutter) You can create your own images with an exacto knife, and a lot of patience, or purchase vinyl cuts from a vinyl seller. It's up to you! But the Silhouette cutter is a lot of fun and does a lot of great stuff! :)

Hope that helps!

Miss says:

We are making these for our ladies church group activity next month! I am so excited. Thank you!

CaseyMarie says:

Ironic… My mother just this past week brought me over a couple of glass etching books. I have many bar stemware glasses that are in need of being decorated. I was thinking of painting on them, but my mother offered another idea. Love it! That beautiful Silhouette would be so helpful in aiding me through my glass etching journey… not to mention the uber awesome greeting cards I have been working on! ;)

Thank you for this post!!!
    ~Casey Marie

Lindsay says:

I made some of these and referenced your post here on my blog. Check it out at: http://craftyladylindsay.blogspot.com/2010/12/etched-glass-baking-dishes.html
    Thanks for the great blog!
    Lindsay @ Diary of a Crafty Lady

Carsmystical says:

Looks fantastic, so want to make a few as presents…..just got to find a place in Australia that sells the etching cream…..

Beautiful design also love it

Nicwith2 says:

Spotlight!!!!

I did this many years ago to the glasses used for my wedding, instead of hiring glasses, I bought cheap glasses and etched guest name on one side and our names and date on the other. Ending up using them as place-cards at the reception and as a bonaire (?spelling) in one. Everyone loved ‘em!

Wren says:

Re: Transfer paper…

I don't understand its function. Why is it needed?

-Thanks to anyone who can answer.

Wren,

Here is a video tutorial on how to use transfer tape. I think it will make a lot more sense to you to watch a video on someone using it.

(Scroll down and you will see the title "Using Transfer Tape" as one of the video titles.)

Hope that helps!

Tammy says:

This is an awesome idea- I've never seen etched pyrex and now I can't wait to try it!

Hannah says:

Do you have any tips for not getting streaking in your etching?

Liam says:

Put the cream on nice and thick and leave it on at least as long as the directions state on the bottle. Remember you can scrape off and re-use the excess.

Throckmorton Jones says:

When applying the vinyl, start at one end or side and use a credit card or squeegee to press it down gradually. You won't get air bubbles that way. I used to work with vinyl cutting and application on a daily basis.

Beverly says:

This is really great! I have wondered how to etch glass. I am book marking the page!

Heather says:

I hate to be a wet blanket but I recently looked into using some etching acid I had around and read the label carefully. It's VERY toxic – both to use and to dispose of. I decided not to tackle the project and am not even sure of the best way to dispose of the jar of cream. Even sand blasting is dangerous because of the glass dust it creates.
    Just an FYI.

Bernie says:

Can you etch Acrylic or Lucite?

raija says:

the armor etch cream will let you etch most surfaces including rocks and ceramics so you can just test objects and see if you like the results.

Loo says:

Maybe painter’s tape with small designs cut out, like leaves would be easier for new crafters. Great idea, adhesive shelf vinyl sheets. Along this same idea, save your Arbor Mist wine bottles, scrape off the labels, using a heat gun helps, then using glittery embossing powder to decorate the bottle. Love your blog.

Sharon says:

I tried to etch wine glasses and other “round” objects – extremely difficult. Would NOT recommend.

Amanda says:

This is super cool! Found you on StumbleUpon and I’m glad I did! Will be looking through the rest of your site! :)
    Another idea might be to use this technique on canning jars for yourself or for personalized gifts of salsa, jam, etc… :)

Ana says:

This is amazing, I can’t wait to try etching some of my own glass projects. Thank you for sharing!

Lady A/ says:

I have done this on small stand up mirrors, it really gives the etching a 3-D appearance. Great gift for men. I do things like 3 mast sailing ships, golf clubs (if they play of course), etc for men. I’ve also done the mirror in the bathroom (which has a nautical theme) with a lighthouse and seagulls, and a small round mirror on the wall with seashells.
    Remember, this IS permanent, so if you do something like the bathroom mirror……..

Olivia says:

I tried this last night and it didn’t etch! I did it over and over again for different lengths of time. Is there anything else I should try before giving up?

Aaria says:

One word. WOW. I always thought glass etching would be tough..but this is just super easy..i’ll try it for sure. Thanks. :)

Chelsea says:

Thanks for sharing. I have a set of clear glass dishes that are now begging to be personalized prior to our next dinner party.

Kim says:

What is the easiest way to make 2″ letters for glass etching on a 9×13 baking dish? Thanks!!

Amy says:

I was too anxious to wait until I had a cutting machine to try this. I attempted with contact paper and my trusty Xacto knife, and had SUCCESS!! Great tutorial– thanks!

aly says:

im sorry but i have more questions. i purchased the silhouette cutter and am so excited about it but feel like i am totally missing something. i got it to cut what i wanted (using the mat they provided) but my image stuck to the mat therefore i coulndn’t remove it. so i turned the paper around (colored side up and colored side down) just to see if either would not stick and both did. can you give me any hints?? i can’t find anything in the tutorial or elsewhere to help. it seems like possibly the cut shouldnt be as deep (i have changed it all the way down to 3) but it is still cutting through both sheets. HELP ME PLEASE!!
    sincerely.
    -aly

Try loading the vinyl into the machine without using the mat. In fact, I never use the mats when I’m using vinyl. just be sure that the pieces you are using are the original width so that they load underneath those wheels on the machine. SO make sure that the vinyl side is face up and load it centered right into the machine and let it cut. And yeah, be sure that the knife is only cutting through the vinyl……not the backing. If it’s still giving you trouble, I would contact silhouette and see if there is maybe an issue with the knife or how you’re assembling it or something. Good luck!

raija says:

i love glass etching…before i got my cutting machine i used contact paper ( cause you can get alot of it for very little at walmart) …. carbon paper to transfer my image.. and an hobby knife….glad to see that people are still doing it…great way to make personal gifts.

Hannah Gotay says:

But is this really even etching??? Its more like “doodle cut it out and paint it on-ing” not much etching.

It actually is etching. The chemical etches away at the glass and makes it permanent. I could scratch and scrub all I wanted at the glass, and those etchings would never come off. In fact, if you rub your finger across it, there is a different etched texture there. It’s pretty cool stuff. :)

Kevin Edwards says:

Creatively it’s a fun and inspiring idea. However, environmentally speaking, I don’t think advising people to rinse acid down the drain into our water system is a great idea at all.

aprill holmes says:

What type of the vinyl did you get??

Leah says:

Hi! I have a question….when looking at the website that you provided for the vinyl, I am a little confused on what to buy. Also, can you print on the vinyl {like a name} before etching it on? Thanks for your help!

Really great tutorial!! Must try this myself soon, thanks for sharing!!

Maria says:

Thanks so much for the great tutorial! I wrote my own post outlining how I did the project for a friend’s wedding gift — http://madebymcm.blogspot.com/2011/10/diy-gift-personalized-pyrex.html

helen says:

I would love to win this to do a friend who has cancer hope on a bowl. Thanks

Kate says:

Wow, this makes me want a cricut even more. Thanks for sharing this great idea!

Jamie says:

Super cute! I still have the purlpe drinking glass that I etched in high school art class! Once I tried to glass etch some glass light fixtures to make them frosted (instead of boring clear) but it didn’t go well for some reason. Lol…

jamie @ sewrockin.com

Denna says:

help! my etching experiment on Pyrex did not work. I let it sit for 15 minutes and it all just washed off. On the front of my Armour Etch bottle it says that it may not work on some types of pyrex. Any ideas?

This really IS a great idea! I LOVE it! Thank you for sharing. :)

brelyn says:

When I have etched glass, it doesnt turn out as dark and visible as i would like. I have tried leaving on the cream longer than instructed, and applying a greater amount. So far no difference.
    Any ideas why this would be?

Lincoln says:

Leaving the cream on longer wont make it a darker etch, however REAPPLYING it after washing it off will. Just wash it off, dry really well, reapply,wait, wash off etc… You can repeat it as many times as you’d like!

Amber says:

When you said you used a “craft cutter” to cut out your vinyl did you mean like a Cricut? or is it something else?

Joylynn says:

I tried to do this last year on ornaments for gifts and had a hard time being able to see the etching after i took off the cream. Did you leave it on for the recommended time and how did you wash it off? Just trying to figure out what I did wrong LOL these look great!

Debbie says:

I was referred to this site by my Pampered Chef Director. What a great way to personalize some of the products we sell. Thank you so much for sharing this information. I’ll be trying this REALLY soon!!!!! Again, thanks.

Lori says:

I’m wondering if it’s possible to use the same template over if you’re wanting to do the same pattern on several dishes (like a set of glasses) or if it’s too messy.

Stephanie says:

If you etch baking dishes will they still be safe to cook in? In the instructions for pyrex (and any glass baking) it says be very careful when using glass baking ware because eve a tiny scratch that you can barely see, may cause the dish to break (or explode, as I’ve noticed when I’ve had a pyrex dish break in my oven). Since this is acid eating at the glass, isn’t that considered a defect int eh glass, and possible cause it to break in the oven?

Jamie says:

I received a etched pyrex dish from my sister-in-law as a gift and am wondering the same thing since it is etched on the inside bottom of it?

Liam says:

etch on the outside, then the food isn’t in contact with the etched surface

Stephanie says:

I just used martha stewart brand reusable adhesive stencils and the glass etching cream and it worked beautifully! Saves the trouble of having to cut out final, transfer etc., super fun project, great idea, and a great end product!

My friend tried to etch her pyrex dish and it did nit work. She called me and I could not get it to work. After the 6th time I looked up the item number on line and it was vintage pyrex made in the UK. Long story short you can’t etch vintage pyrex and probably some other glass as well. Just some FYI.

Renee says:

i remember doing this process in my high school art class about 25 years ago on mirror and i can’t wait to do this again with some of my favor team logo’s even high school logos.

Julie Takase says:

I tried it with glass etching spray paint and it did not work… gonna try the glue one now.

Angela says:

Just wondering if the etching shows up as well on colored Pyrex? Maybe this was answered before, but I didn’t see it.

I also do sandblasting. I use a different technique however. I sandblast the glass. It’s basically the same as what you are doing, but I use a rubber masking instead to protect the glass. Then Sandblast. It leaves a nice even impression in the glass to give it dimension. But it’s basically the same overall look you achive.
    But…My point is, if your not to good with an exacto-knife. You can go to your local sign shop & have them cut any custom design you desire out of vinyl. Then just apply it to your project & follow the rest of your instructions.
    Most sign companies have a minimum price (usually $15-$25) Which most of the projects would fall under that price range.

cath says:

I have not had good luck with Pyrex dishes when doing this etching technique. I find that the cheaper glass etches better. I have done the 9×13 and other types but I get the Anchor brand at Wal Mart or glasses, plates, vases from the dollar store and it works much better.

Sandy says:

how can I get the pictures for the bird and tree?
    thanks,
    sandy

BTW. beautiful work.

LnJo21 says:

These images were created using a Cricut Cutting machine by Provo Crafts…

• 131.1.1
        JJST says:

Actually, these images were created with a Silhouette machine (www.silhouetteamerica.com) and the image is available for download in their online store. The image is: bird_on_branch_C00044_23067

The newest machine offered is the Silhouette Cameo. If you create a free account in their online store (www.silhouetteonlinestore.com) you can browse through all the images designed for the Silhouette machines.

Hannah S says:

Can the 9×13 be used in the oven? I have an etched dish someone gifted me and it has not worn off but I am not sure if it was used with this same method.

E says:

This is awesome!! Thanks for sharing!

Is Vinyl the same thing or similar to contact paper? Would contact paper also work? Not sure which is would be cheaper, just wondering.

Sam says:

Is the cream very expensive? Do you have an approximate cost?

Shellie says:

Is the vinyl re-usable? Maybe with stencil adhesive?

Thanks!

Samantha says:

I was wondering if you could tell me how much that paste stuff runs? Is it expensive?

LnJo21 says:

The transfer paper you use to reverse the image, what is this exactly? More vinyl or something specific? Sorry if you have already answered this question, I didn’t see it…

Jessie says:

Have to make etched glass now. So excited for a new project!

Stephanie says:

I would be concerned that this may affect the integrity of a baking dish and make it more prone to thermal shock. Maybe should check with manufacturers first.

Michelle says:

Can you use the inkjet printable vinyl for this?

Denise says:

I tried to do this on a cassarole dish that I already had and nothing happened. Do you need to prepare the glass somehow?? I did it to some bottles and it worked great but the cassarole dish didnt etch at all…

dianne says:

Caution! Rinse off the etching cream with warm water in a stainless steel sink. It can damage or remove the glazing of your porcelain kitchen sink!

Melissa says:

I found your site through Pinterest (of course!), and stayed awhile and looked around. You, my friend, are talented! I finally bought some etching cream and started on some projects – and I haven’t stopped! To say that I’m obsessed would be an understatement :) Here’s an example of a few drinking glasses I recently made.

Thanks for being an inspiration!
    Melissa

Kirsten says:

I am really taken with this idea but if you do letters do you have to mirror them or reverse them when you cut them out so that them come out right on the glass?

Denice says:

I am trying to find the font & graphic you used on the casserole dish displayed on Pinterest but I am not having any luck. Can you help me?

Chris says:

I used the Armor Etching cream on a glass vase. Left it on for a minute as the directions instructed, but the image is very light and not very noticeable. How do a get a deeper, brighter etched image? Help

Rach says:

I saw one of these pictures on the BYU-Idaho Website.. did you know that???!

Missy says:

Has anyone had trouble using the Armour Etch on Pyrex? I’m thinking about using this technique for a wedding present, but reading the company website it says the cream “may not work on Pyrex and plastices.” I’m not quite sure what that means, but thought I’d take a poll before buying all the materials for this project. Thanks!

Lynae says:

Oooh! I’ve had my eye on a Silhouette machine for a while and I keep trying to justify to myself why I need it when I have three kids under 5 years old and no time to shave my legs, let alone make cool crafts. But great ideas like this make me see why the $300 purchase is entirely necessary. Maybe I’ll have to cut fruits and veggies out of our budget for a few months to save up for it…

Jennifer says:

Just did this for my good friend’s birthday gift – she is a family and consumer science teacher so I’m giving her this along with a homemade apron. Thanks so much for the idea!!

Thea wever says:

I was wondering if the dish you used was actually a Pyrex dish? I tried a baking dish like Pyrex from Ikea and it wouldn’t etch. I finally looked up Armor etch on its website and it said it wouldn’t work on Pyrex.

Margaret Szydlo says:

That is to cute. Looks easy, thanks!

Doka Wo says:

I tried to do this on my coffee caraffe. It did not etch. Some glass is not suitable. I also always put the contact paper directly on the glass/mirror that I wanted to etch. It helps as there is no bubbles to worry about. If the etching acid gets under the contact paper it will etch there also.)

Nicole says:

I tried this on a set of glasses and it didn’t show up as well. It was very light. I tried 3 different times too see if I could get it to come out better by leaving it on longer or for less time. Nothing seamed to change. How did you get it to look so perfect?

Lorri says:

Does anyone know what font was used for the 9×13 glass etched pan that says Johnson on it? THANK YOU!

Jenn says:

Great way to dress up a plain truffle bowl. Also live the idea of etching you name on the glass as a way to mark it for return (and looks cute to boot). I’ll deffinately be trying this in the near future. I’m thinking starfish and seahorses maybe.

Connie says:

I haven’t done glass etching since my kids were in Boy Scouts. I forgot how much fun it is. Time to give it another try. Thanks for the inspiration!

Lori says:

Hi! I’m looking for ideas for my class reunion and this would be perfect on cordial glasses or tumblers. My question is, can you reuse the stencil or is it a once and done deal? I would need to make about 75-100 of these and to make that many stencils would drive me insane :o)

Thanks!

Lori says:

Hi! I’m looking for ideas for my class reunion and this would be perfect on a cordial glass or tumbler glass. Can you reuse the stencil or is it a once and done deal? I would have to make between 75-100 and to do a stencil for each one would drive me insane.

Thanks!

Rachel Neibaur says:

Hi! I love this idea so I went and bought all the stuff do it and it didn’t work! So sad…I even got the exact same etching cream as you, applied it (I think) pretty thick, let it sit like 30 mi, went to wash it off with water and it all came off. I tried 3 different attempts. I’m trying to etch something cute onto a 9×13 glass pan. Do you have to apply it with a tool in particular? I used a small paint brush. And does it need to be like globbed on there? help!

What a neat idea! i love putting a name on the dish!

Sarah says:

I have done etching before. I did them on some dollar store votive’s for my MOPS leaders and on dollar store vases for teacher gifts last year. I wish I had left the etching cream on a while longer though as they weren’t quite dark enough imo. But I never thought to do them on a dish like this with the name as a gift. Love it!!

So cute! I’m making some beer glasses for friends for their wedding. We’re still not sure if she’s changing her name or not, so I didn’t want to make anything with just his last name on it. I’m putting “[His name] + [Her name]” on one and “[Her name] + [His name]” on the other one, with their wedding date. Then we’re getting some local beer to go with it!

Tony says:

Can this be used for mirrors?

Jenna says:

I tried to cut a little mushroom with an exact knife, and it wasn’t terribly easy. What sort of craft cutter is recommended?

yudi says:

Its greeeat..but its hard to find armour etch in my country…

kendra says:

The etching cream is re-usable! After I etch a dish I scrape it with a popsicle stick and put it back in the jar…

Amanda says:

Currently etching the words “hey beautiful” into a wall mirror for my roommate’s birthday! Great tutorial, thanks! :)

Francine says:

Hi

I am confused as to why you need the transfer paper?
    Can anyone elaborate?
    Thanks
    Francine

Tammy says:

Bought the Etching Cream and used the vinyl. I LOVE the way it turned out! Thank you so much for your helpful information!! :) Giving it as a shower gift on th.

I have a glass etching business and we use clear contact paper for all out stencils. It is much cheaper than vinyl and the clear allows you to better see what you are doing on irregular surfaces. we have a circut and software that allows us to cut any design (the software has been discontinued, however, due to a legal dispute). There are plenty of other die cutting machines you can use out there. Before we use the cricut we used rub on or sticky letter stencils from craft stores or walmart. So much easier with a die cutting machine, though!

Sheila says:

I glass etch all the time. We use stickers, or the negative of stickers, and masking tape. Electrical tape works too. Wrap various width tape around a glass and make fun lines.

Jordan says:

Hey, I know it has been a long time since you posted this but do you remember what section of Michaels this cream was in??

Tracey says:

I did not read all the comments, you are VERY popular, and have Wonderful ideas! but I wanted to add: contact paper works, but it rolls up ‘very IRRITATINGLY’ : ) But I used it and it was much less money.

Cheryl says:

Hello!
    I see that you are using Armor as your etching cream. The negative part of using Armor is it is a 1 time use. I sell a product that you use it and can reuse it. Etchall. Used the same way. But better cost savings because you can use it over and over. I also sell a dip so tha you can dip bottles, glasses, vases and other items to give it the etch look. Another thing that is cool with this item is you can use, “Rub n’Buff and add color to the etched portion of your product. So lets say you are doing a wedding and you are etching the goblets with the bride and groom name and date. All you do is take your rub and buff and rub it over the etch image and it takes just to the rough surface and you wipe away with a cloth. If it gets in an area you don’t want it, easy peasy…. use a little rubbing alcohol on a qtip and wipe it away. If you wish to contact me to learn more, my website is http://www.discountsignsupplies.com
    I look forward to talking with you.

Emily says:

I have to say that I am now obsessed with your blog. I found this glass etching post a while back but just bookmarked it knowing I’d get back to it later (and finally attempted this weekend! woo hoo!). Well I got back to it and have been hooked on your site all week. I have happily and eagerly spent my lunch hour on your site while shoveling my Subway down my throat so I could focus on the brilliant ideas you write about. I love your creativity, ideas, and I also love how well you explain everything! It is kinda sneaky though because you make it sound like these things are super easy and any one can do it. :) I’m having so much fun planning my next projects. Thank you!

Cheryl says:

Hi, I see you are using Armour as your etching cream. I have used that too but it is a one time use. I sell a product called EtchAll which allows you to reuse. It is a cream similar to Armour but better because you can reuse it. If anyone would like to talk to me about this, my website is http://www.discountsignsupplies.com and my email is [email protected]. I also sell the vinyl and application tape that you can use too.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Mal says:

HELLO! I was wondering if the stencil is useable for more than one time once you use it. I am wanting to etch a monogram on some glass candle holders for my friend’s wedding, but haveing to make more than one stencil seems a little daunting considering I need to do 10-20 candle holders.

Liam says:

I have etched glass jars successfully.
    My tip when applying any adhesive vinyl stencil to glass, or other non-porous surface, (especially one with a curve) is to apply the transfer paper without weeding (removing the unwanted pieces) and then stick the stencil on your glass.
    Remove the transfer paper and THEN weed.
    This helps to avoid the edges lifting as you remove the transfer paper and getting contaminants (dust, oil from your fingers) underneath that makes the etch prone to ‘bleeding’.

Halli says:

Hello Everyone!

I figured out the secret to etching ikea dishes: Let the etching cream sit overnight. Works great!

Wow! This is amazing! I can’t wait to make some awesome gifts! Thank you!!

Cheryl says:

I failed at this in so many ways. using exacto knife to cut out lettering was hellish, and unsuccessful after hoursssss of trying. Tried it on the pyrex and after i found it didn’t work and i read the bottle and in fine print it says “won’t work on some pyrex” I think i spent $50 on this project trying to save money for christmas and yucco… major bummer :-(

Crystal says:

I found your tutorial on Pintrest. I didn’t want to pay for the vinyl at my local craft store because it wasn’t on sale and was so expensive so I used contact paper (I already had a ton of at home) as you suggested might work. It worked fabulously! In fact, I’m not great at using contact paper and was sort of apprehensive about how it would turn out, but it was very forgiving when I intially laid it on the baking dish. Instead of just smoothing out the bubbles with my fingers near my design, I just gently pulled the corners back up one at a time and smoothed out the bubbles that way. It was a pleasant surprise that it was so easy to use and by far the best project experience I’ve ever had using contact paper. :-) Thanks so very much for this tutorial!!! It is my new favorite craft for personalized gifts! The bride and groom to be loved it better than any of the other things that we bought them off their registry. I can’t wait to start picking up glassware at our local Goodwill and other thrift stores and begin producing some beautiful pieces!

Thanks again!
    Crystal

Charity says:

As a signmaker, I have a word of advice. If you ever have trouble removing the vinyl, which could happen depending on what kind you get your hands on or how long you leave it on before removing it, just use some lighter fluid to get the residue off. It works like a charm.

Alison says:

Hi there. Love your cute projects! Where did you find the pattern for the fun modern trees (on the other side of the smiley monster name?!

Alison says:

So, I thought I already posted this question, but I had spine surgery a bit over a week ago and I am highly medicated, so maybe not, but where did you get the cute, irreverent modern trees (on the other side of the smiley monster name on the baking dish?! Super cute. Want to replicate! Love your projects!!!

Je ne connaissais pas du tout ce projet. Il me paraît fort intéressant.

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an very long comment but after I
    clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing
    all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say fantastic blog!

Jessica says:

This may be a stupid question…but what is the reason for the transfer paper? It just seems like an unnecessary step to me if you put it on and then peel it off right after the vinyl goes on the glass. Can someone clarify?
    Thanks

Cindy says:

What am I doing wrong? I have put the etching cream on twice now and left on for about 15 minutes on the bottom of a pie plate….nothing…..

Julia Layton says:

Can you please tell me where to find the cute bird artwork you used????? THANK YOU!!!

Dodie says:

Am so going to try this !

Taylor says:

Hi,

Did you use the crikut to make this stencil? If so, do you mind telling me which cartridge this was off of?

Liz says:

Do I need to buy removable vinyl?

This is such a simple and straight forward tutorial. I also like the design you chose. Thanks for sharing this. I can’t wait to give it a try.

Carey says:

I just spent three hours tracing, cutting and applying the etching cream (Armor Etch). The cream has been on my Pyrex 9×13 dishes for TWO HOURS and nothing! I’m so bummed.

I’ve seen many people who said it worked on their Pyrex, what went wrong?

:`(

araceli says:

hi i like it ,but where can i buy the cream ???

Lauren says:

Tried to etch Pyrex baking dish. Didn’t work! Any tricks? Ideas?. Advice?

Of course, this nifty project also made my Silhouette Inspiration board: https://thethinkingcloset.wordpress.com/2013/01/06/the-silhouette-challenge-a-new-series/

I have so many glass casserole dishes just waiting to be etched! And what a great wedding gift this would make. Thanks for sharing this fun tute.

Haley says:

Hello! I was wondering why you have to use the transfer paper on top of the vinyl? I feel this is a dumb question… Lol

Oh very Lovely .

That’s a very nice inspiration

Kirsten says:

I have etched many items (including Pyrex) using contact paper and stencils and also a method with rubber stamps and embossing powder which creates a smooth glass design and an etched background. I wanted to share a money saving tip. Before rinsing off the etching cream use a foam brush or popsicle stick to scrape off as much of the etching cream as possible and return it to your Etching cream container. It can be reused over and over again. I am still using my small bottle purchased at least 8 years ago. Be careful not to spread the cream outside of your design when removing the extra cream. Even a couple of seconds on the glass will start the etching process.

Patricia says:

Can you share directions on how to etch glass with a rubber stamp and embossing powder?

• 203.1.1
        Kirsten says:

Sure. If you are familiar with powder embossing on paper this will be much too detailed. Basically stamp and emboss on the glass just like you do on paper and then paint the etching cream over it. In case more details are needed I have listed step-by-step instructions below.

You will need rubber stamp of choice, embossing ink, and embossing powder (detail, not ultra thick), embossing gun and, of course, etching supplies. Ink your stamp and apply on glass where you would like design to be placed. Cover with embossing powder and shake off excess. Melt the embossing powder using an embossing gun. If you’re happy with the result you can move on to the etching step. If you are not pleased with the embossing simply scrape it away, clean glass, and start again. Nothing is permanent until the etching cream goes on. I have found that finely detailed stamps to not produce the best results because the melting of the embossing powder often makes the details run together.

For etching I simply freehand the etching cream over and around the stamped / embossed image making sure it is thickly covered. If you wish to have a defined shape you can use a square of contact paper with the desired shape cut out of the center. Adhere that to your glass with the embossed design centered in the cut-out shape. Make sure the inside edges of the contact paper are pressed down tightly so that no etching cream seeps underneath. Apply the etching cream inside the cut-out over and around the stamped / embossed image. After waiting the time given for the etching cream use a foam brush to remove etching cream and return to jar. Rinse remaing etching cream off glass and rub away the embossed powder under running water. Remove contact paper if it was used.

I love how this method produces a relief look which is different from most etching. It opens up a world of options that require no time consuming cutting, allows me to coordinate gift with card, wrapping, decorations, etc. and gives me an excuse to add to my stash of stamps. :-D

Patricia says:

Can the stencil be re-used?

Karri says:

I really love this idea and I am trying to etch on a pint glass. Is anyone else having the problem that once rinsing the cream off the “frosted” look is not as white as your pictures show? I have tried leaving it on longer, and repeating the process and it is still barely visible. Anyone have any tips? Thanks!

Autumn says:

Is the vinyl reusable? I’m planning on etching wine bottles for a wedding project. and I was wondering if I could reuse the one piece of vinyl or if I had to make separate templates for each one.

Alex says:

I tried this cream but…there were a lot of smudges and etching was irregular. I made all well. Stencils was good. Results was bad:( even on small surface.

Jenny says:

Love the tutorial! Two questions – please?
    1) what type vinyl do I order from http://www.expressionsvinyl.com/ ? Indoor?
    2) Is it possible to reuse the template on more than one piece?

Thank you SO much for sharing your creative ideas!
    Jenny

Dawn says:

I tried to etch on a baking dish from Ikea and it didn’t work. I even left it on for 30 minutes. I was so disappointed.

Hello! I simply want to give an enormous thumbs up for the good data you’ve
    got here on this post. I will probably be coming back to your weblog for extra soon.

Thank you so much for the inspiration! I just tried this out on two different projects and posted about it on my blog. I mentioned you too!
    Thank you!
    Sara

Debra says:

Hello! I am familiar with the armour etching cream am use my Cricut to stencil.. Has someone placed glass items at baked in oven after etching? I have done several projects for decorative use.. But want confirmation it is okay for oven use after etching. Thanks in advance !

Rikki H says:

We are wanting to do this as a church project and I was just wondering how much of the etching cream we would need to do about 40 pans with a last name?

Rikki H says:

We want to do this for a group craft, how much of the etching cream would we need for about 50 pans? Just a last name on each.

Sheridan says:

We are wanting to sandblast wine glasses – just gathering necessary equipment for cutting vinyl templates. I’ve read all these posts for an appropriate die cutter – that is all I’d use the machine for, so only want to spend the least for good quality. I looked at the Top10 review website and reviews on all mentioned…..NONE under $300 have all great reviews! It sounds like I’m gambling with the purchase; the same die cutter can be a 5-star and several will be a 1-star. SUGGESTIONS please!! Thank you!!

Sandra says:

This is fantastic- I can’t wait to run to JoAnne’s Fabric and grab that Armour Etch! Thanks for sharing, this is so much easier than I expected.

Hi, I just wanted to let you know I noticed a website/business that has stolen your photos used here and is using them as your own. I recognized them as one I’ve seen on pinterest before and followed your link here. I am contacting their web host under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to have the 27 photos of mine removed. I’m not sure if you mind or not, but I though I would pass along the info. http://www.southerndesignsonline.com/Pyrex-Dish.html

Kirsten says:

I know there are a TON of comments here and this might not get seen much – but a serious word of caution when using etching cream like this. It contains Hydrofluoric Acid (HFl) and is a lipid soluble (i.e. your skin!) acid – if it gets on your skin it can actually cause deep but painless burns which can interfere with blood calcium levels and cause cardiac problems – not good! Please use appropriate safety gear such a dishwashing gloves (or appropriate acid resistant gloves) and even better, safety goggles! We do this activity with 5th graders every year but they are highly supervised. So it’s totally a doable project but please use appropriate caution.

First off I want to say awesome blog! I had a quick question in which I’d like to ask if you don’t mind.
    I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your mind prior to writing.
    I have had difficulty clearing my mind in getting my ideas out.
    I truly do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are generally lost just trying to figure out
    how to begin. Any recommendations or tips? Thank you!

Today, I went to the beachfront with my children. I found
    a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to
    her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!

click here says:

These are actually great ideas in concerning blogging.
    You have touched some pleasant points here. Any way keep up wrinting.

Brandy says:

Can the contact paper be reused?

Pretty! This has been a really wonderful post. Many thanks
    for providing these details.

Claude says:

Gday people, I am something of a watch fan. I like never write a comment but I personally
    ended up reading this short article and I genuinely cherished it.
    It offers many really superb ideas for me to absorb.
    I have to say, I’ve been depressed nowadays since my brother no longer is around. Looking at the net gives me some piece of mind . I would like to say thank you to you with this big website blog post which probably will help spread out the word when it comes to watches even more! I actually was curious as to if you have got an e-mail opt-in list in order to remember to keep updated at this website.

I know that doing an etched glass is a brilliant idea actually I wanna try it soon. it seems doing this craft really enjoyable.

Tammy M says:

I have problems with cutting vinyl on my Cricut, I’m thinking my blade needs to be replaced. Do you use a special blade to cut the vinyl by machine? If so, where do you purchase them from? I live in a small town and purchase most of my craft supplies on-line! Love the trifle bowl – what a great gift idea!!
    Thanks!

Andrea says:

Hi….I was wondering whether anyone knew of a place where I can get vinyl stencils made? I am wanting just a small stencil (to fit a glass) multipled 16 times (for 16 glasses)….it could probably all fit on one vinyl sheet.
    Thanks!

mandy says:

Hi I was wondering how much would it be to make a stencil of the chicago blackhawks Indian head and the Carolina gamecocks it is with a c with the bird in the middle. Let me know they are for beer glasses.Thanks

Hannah says:

Hello,
    I have included your great etching tutorial in my 10 Great and Quick Hostess Gifts for Thanksgiving or Hanukkah blog post: http://www.sewadorablefabrics.com/last-minute-hostess-gifts-happy-thanksgiving-hannukah/. All the best, Hannah

Patsy says:

Is a mirror etched the same way as glass?

Stephanie says:

Hey don’t wash the “cream” off with your fingers, it’s HF. I used latex gloves. This type of acid will eat glass but nothing that is plastic – and it is not recommended to come into contact with your skin.

Lindsey Mandrick says:

Hey I was wondering if you could make the stencil for me? I want it to be “neat” for Christmas presents. I would need a couple, and can you reuse a stencil or do you need to use a different one each time? Please please please look me up on Facebook by my name or email – thank you!

nikki says:

Hello
    I was wondering if this would work to cover something that is engraved? Like names..small script

Laurel says:

I have etched glass canisters that turned out perfectly, but I’ve tried two Pyrex dishes that did not etch at all. I checked the Armour website and saw that it will not work on Pyrex. How did yours turn out so well?

Nicki Z. says:

Hi….just wondering, can you still use the item in the dishwasher or oven and the etching stays in it’s original form? Thanks!

Nina Gagnon says:

I just wanted to comment on here because I saw this blog post over a year ago and thought this would be really fun to try out. Well, now I have my own little business on etsy all because of this post. I don’t make a huge amount of money but it helps pay the utilities and gives me something to do during my days with my year old son. This one post has helped change my life in a very amazing and positive way and I thought you might want to know. Thank you again for this great tutorial :)

Dan says:

Have you had success using that brand “armour etch cream” on pyrex?? Because I was just about to order some on amazon and than I read on the product description: “Will NOT etch Pyrex”

Heidi says:

Just wondering, can the stencil be used more than once, or will the acid damage it?