Family Secrets

I was talking to my oldest sister the other day and she was asking about my latest pattern……little boy booties (more on that later). Then she revealed a family secret to me. She told me that our mom used to make baby booties for my oldest brother. Yes, my very own mother………back in the 70′s. I had no idea. This whole time, I should have been asking for tips and suggestions from my own mother. Perhaps she could have written the patterns for me… :)

I asked her about it (this is no time to be modest mom……) and she told me that yes, she made booties for my oldest brother because he had large feet for his age and none of the baby booties in the stores were big enough for him. Lucky for him, my mom covered those sweet feet.

In many colors……

I couldn’t believe it! How funny is that.

And I couldn’t resist this photo of my two oldest sisters. Not only are their homemade matching dresses so darn sweet…….but look at those smiles. Don’t you want to hop back into the 70s and eat them up?!

My mom taught me how to sew on her old Singer, when I was pretty young. And bless her heart, she even taught me how to use a pattern. Oh, the dread of those confusing, multi-paged, tissue paper patterns. Ugggh! And I’ve always gone to my mom with my sewing questions ……but I had no idea that she used to sew baby booties. That just made me smile a big ‘ol smile. Apparently my passion for booties, came straight from her.

Little secrets……..how funny that I never knew this one.

Anyway, I just got a kick out of looking at my mothers old sewing projects. And hopping back in time to see what my mother was doing in this very same stage of life.

And the latest project that triggered this bootie conversation with my oldest sister?
The little boy bootie pattern.
It’s not quite ready and may take another week or so, but I just wanted to give you a sneak peek. (And the final bootie even looks a teeny bit different from this one.)

Nice and cozy, with an adjustable strap.
Perfect for those little boys.

I’ll keep you updated on them.

And thanks mom. You sweet thing. Thanks for the love of booties…..even though somehow, you never even thought to share that little secret of yours. Are you somehow keeping woodworking a secret from me? I’d love to master that! It’s time to call dad I guess…..

(about a year ago at Christmas time….my, how my babies have grown.)

Comments

28 Responses to “Family Secrets”
    Mad Sewing Love says:

What a great post. Love the pics & how ironic that you are now making baby booties!

CourtneyKeb says:

That's so sweet!!!

Tonya says:

What sweet booties you have come up with!

1 Funky Woman says:

I love those booties. Maybe your mom just wanted you to figure it out on your own, and then after you took off with it, she would say oh by the way….

Melanie says:

That is so awesome! I think I'll let my mom keep her taffeta dresses, shoulder pad inserts, and stirrup pant sewing tips to herself :) But who knows, she may have something good up her sleeve!

Melanie…..THAT made me laugh! Ha!

And I know Funky Woman, maybe she was just waiting so see what I came up with. Or maybe she just forgot!

Joanne says:

Love the booties!!! Can't wait to see more!

jodi says:

Thanks for the memories!! I'm so glad those pantsuits never made a comeback. Our mom was awesome with her sewing machine. Still is as a matter of fact.

Caroline says:

Love that gold couch! My grandma had one like that when I was a kids and I so loved to visit.

Angie says:

I'm so glad the boy booties are almost done. I bought the girl pattern through etsy and I'll certainly be buying the little boy one. I would never have thought to sew with leather, those are so cute!

You inspire me in ways you'll never know. Until a month ago, I had never sewn anything aside from a pillow. Thanks to you, my house is already looking spruced up and my kids have new t-shirts!

-*$1.00 Baby Bows*- says:

I love old pictures. This makes me want to get some of ours out and scan them in.
    Very sweet post!

The Wild Gardener says:

I just wanted you to know I really enjoy reading your blog. Can't even remember now how I found you, but I'm checking you daily! Can't wait for the bootie pattern—hoping for ALL g'boys the next go round which should be SOON.

Melissa says:

Oh my goodness! How sweet is that! I love the old photos and those booties are just so cute! You mom is amazing!
    And so are you! LIke mother like daughter! Love ya!

Amy Miller says:

Oh! I'm so excited for the boy booties! Those with a matching tie are going to be the best baby gifts!

she wears flowers says:

I love those pictures!!! And, I am one of the lucky ones who knows firsthand how truly wonderful your mom is!

Jenn and Kylann says:

So cute! I can't wait to see the finished product. I have my second little boy coming at the end of the month and I would LOVE to learn how to make those!

Jessica says:

those booties are too cute! I made some from a pattern one time and they ended up fitting my 2 yr old instead of my 6 month baby. I'll blame it on the pattern…..

Heather Feather says:

I can't wait for the pattern!

Ty and Whitty says:

I am pregnant with a boy right now and am totally in LOVE with those booties. I want them I need them :)

Ramsey Revell says:

LOVE your booties…and booties in general! I really want to try making a pair but I'm not really experienced with the sewing machine and I don't know how they would come out. Love all your ideas! Thanks for sharing the sweet story!
    Ramsey

GSGC StrongFamily says:

WOW! Those are super cute! I am due ANY day now with a little boy, and I can't wait for the pattern…hopefully I will have enough time once he comes to make him a few pairs!

I'll be watching for when they are available in your shop for sure! I love my tie and skirt pattern I purchased from you!!!

jeronimama says:

I Love the boots – I have your little guy tie pattern – maybe my son will get matching booties and tie – oh how cute – maybe for Easter?????

jeronimama says:

:o) mg says:

Your. Mother. Is. Gorgeous!!!!
    Wow. I hope I look half as good when I am a grandmother.
    Oh, and I love the booties – from both generations.

Megan says:

Oh my gosh! Your mom was my Kindergarten/1st grade teacher, which means we grew up in the same stake. I'm shooting you an email.

kaly says:

I can't wait to see the pattern on those boy booties! How cute are they!

Melissa and Reed says:

I've been following your blog for a while and am 'awed' at your creativity and ideas. Thanks for inspiring. Then I saw this post and realized I know and LOVE LOVE your parents. I served with them in New Jersey and they were my favorite senior couple. I would love to get in touch with them. If you could email me their information I would love to talk to them. [email protected]. Thanks!
    Melissa (Connelly) Garza