Have you read the crafting RULE BOOK?

Well, on page 16……….rule number 738 clearly states that “all crafting supplies should be far out of the reach of children.”

That rule was broken.

I thought the paint was far enough away on the counter.

But………I forgot about the stool.

Rookie mistake.

Here he kept saying “Uh-Oh Mama, Uh-Oh!”
Yeah, Uh-Oh is right, little turkey…..

And why were the paint bottles on the counter and not immediately put away after I bought them the night before?

Another mistake.
Ooops.

I thought it would quickly wipe off.

That’s why I pulled out the camera.

However, I had to pull out the trusty Magic Eraser to get the job done.

Make sure you read that rule book from cover to cover.
Or you’ll be off to the store to stock up on Magic Eraser’s…..and other such cleaning tools.

Edited to add: I had to post a similar child-with-paint-catastrophe that a reader sent me the link to, here. (Thanks Nike!) I just can’t get over the big ‘ol mess. My little blue dribbles are nothing. I looked at these pictures and first gasped, then laughed, and then almost cried for her….but then had to laugh again. How could I not, there was a big black smiley face painted on the wall?? Oh.my.word.

Comments

66 Responses to “Have you read the crafting RULE BOOK?”
    Cathy says:

Ah…we live and we learn!! I love the look you are getting while the paint is squishing between chubby fingers that says, "What, you mean I wasn't supposed to play with the paint you left out for me?"

Lynette says:

Ooh…that's a tough one! What a cute kid though, how can you be mad :)

Kari @ Ucreate says:

No way!! Thank goodness for the Magic Eraser and good thing he's so stinkin' cute!

Kami says:

I had the same accident with my son a few weeks ago, except it was on our carpet and bright green paint.

By the way I LOVE your blog, but I have loved it even more since I found out you are Brad Singley's cousin. They have been our favorite neighbor's since we moved to here to Washington, small world!

Keep up the great work!

Jill says:

Oh how I love the magic eraser!

she wears flowers says:

It isn't on his jammies???? What a good boy you have-paint and all!

Rebekah says:

Might as well have him paint the stool while he's at at it.

Mama Thompson says:

At least the color brings out his blue eyes:) Total cutie! I also love that we buy the stools to help them do good things like, use the potty, wash their hands…and they turn it right against us and do things like this…nice…

Frugal Home Design says:

What a cutie, and I love the paint color. It keeps getting harder and harder to keep things out of their way!

Moira-Lin says:

I love the fact that you stopped to grab the camera and laugh about it. So many would have gotten angry. What would we do without the Magic Eraser? :)

Katherine @ Grass Stains says:

That is something that would SO happen in my house (with three boys 7 and under)! I feel your pain!

Kelli says:

The stool…gets me every time.

Beth says:

I have similar pictures of my daughter when she was about 9 months old. Only it was a can of black wall paint that I had used on some borders in the kitchen. I had left it (tightly shut) on the floor to go change a diaper then got distracted and forgot to come back and put it away. Apparently, if you bang the paint can on the floor enough, the lid will come just loose enough to let the paint spill out. Luckily after it dried, it just peeled up off the tile, but my rug and her jammies were ruined.

Nike says:

Oh Ashley! I've so been there! Only my kids used a BOX of paints and did $400 worth of damage.

See:

kirstin & jordan says:

Ummm, pretty sure I wouldn't live without magic erasers… I buy them in bulk! :)

Melanie says:

But hey, it is a pretty color! Boys like blues, right?

The Wright Crew says:

That's too funny. We also call our kids "little turkeys" around our house! It's funny when I hear other people say it too

Lauren says:

Hahahaha. I'm sorry, but that's too cute. :) We all have our crafting moments like that.

A few weeks ago I found my daughter sitting on the floor with my pincushion, very carefully taking pins out one at a time and jabbing them into the carpet. I felt so terrible for leaving it within eye-shot! Thankfully she wasn't hurt, but it was a good wake-up call for me for stepping up my "tidying up" when naptime is over!!

Heidi says:

Aaaahhh.. adorable.

The Crebs Family says:

What would any of us do with out Mr. Clean? One of my favorite inventions EVER! He has saved me SO many times!

Ashley @ Ashley's Craft Corner says:

My little one did a similar thing recently…except she thought it was lotion and proceeded to spread it all over her arms and legs.

The McGraths says:

That happened to me last night! Same color to!!! LOL!

LeAnn says:

same thing happened to me at a friends house no less. I didn't think my lovely 2 year old daughter would open it. Before I knew it, it was all over her and my friends brand new wood floor.

UGH!

Heidi Ferguson says:

Haha, I have a big fear of this one..thankfully it hasn't happened to me yet!

Ritters says:

Isn't it a good thing they are so cute other wise who knows.

Phiphi says:

haha..so smart, eh? fortunately he didn't eye the knives set back there..I always keep my scissors and other dangerous tools up on top of the cupboard:)

adairfamily says:

Remember when we thought it was so cute that they started saying, "Uh Oh" not so cute when they really mean it!! Cute pics gotta love toddlers.

Anna says:

Boys…… thats all I can say. At least it wasnt like my teen and 2.5 gal of gas. sigh. At least he lived to tell the tale and I had two HUGE fire extingushers. He was innocently repairing the lawnmower. THe blade sparked on the concrete which ignited gas on the concrete- instantly flames jumped into the gas can! He too has the most beautiful blue eyes and long lashes. Accidents happen. Live and learn.

{Bellamere Cottage} says:

Oh how adorable…..and the paint is such a nice look with his beautiful blue eyes!

Warm blessings,
    Spencer

Holly says:

Uh-oh is a favorite of my toddler too, especially right after doing something very much on purpose. Little stinker. Good thing the little guys are so darned cute.

Tanya and Colin says:

Super cute boy! I had a rookie moment a few weeks ago that involved a sharpie and my desk top; magic eraser didn't help much in this situation. They are so quick!

Rose says:

D'OH!!!!

Mom's Place says:

LOL! Oh my!!!!!

sheilaa131 says:

What an adorable face. Enjoy your great ideas on the blog–so helpful.

Janae -- Thoughts in Vinyl says:

It is at times like that that I am glad I have a blog so I can take a picture and it gives me a minute to realize that it all cleans up!

Katie says:

Oh dear.

Jessica says:

Ahahaha……. okay, not a rookie mistake, just a busy mom mistake. Getting ready to have #5 and we still have these kind of episodes! :)

Scrappy Gifts says:

yes and the other thing to remember is that kids grow taller….my son can reach everything now, but he's pretty good most of the time.
    BTW my son has the same pajamas! =D

Angie says:

I don't do much crafting, but I thought I had learned to push everything far back on the counter when just yesterday my little 21 month old came through the house pretending to use one of those small paring knives as a crayon! Oh and she came through the house with a hammer banging on the walls and about 2 inches from the glass storm door! I guess I'm a rookie too!

Nikki says:

awwwwwww he is such a cutie!!!!! love the picture even though it got messy, the blue of the paint with the other blues in the picture look really nice:)

Vicki says:

Yikes! My youngest has only managed to get the walls with pen ink and crayons… I put all the paints far, far away after reading this!

Jenn says:

Oh, I have so been there. I just wish I had thought to take pictures of some of the more exciting ones – like the time my 3 year old daughter decorated her 9 year old brother's ENTIRE room (even his underwear) with a purple marker. That was a 3 magic eraser job.

~Kimberly says:

We've all been there… but at least the blue matches the blue in his jammies! He's adorable by the way!

Michelle says:

The color sure brings out the blue in his eyes! LOL Yeah, I make those rookie mistakes all the time too. No biggie, lol. They're kinda cute when they do stuff like that (and dumping a whole bottle of baby powder all over the bathroom, hallway and a riding toy).

Erin says:

Haha! Well, that will make a great story when he's older. The "uh-oh, Mommy" reminds me of my son. When he's doing something mischievous, he says, "No No, NOOooooh." Hard not to laugh…

Nathan and Colleen says:

My daughter did the same thing with food coloring. She dripped all four color containers into her dolls mouth. Feeding her dolly. It then dripped out of her mouth soaking our futon and running into the carpet. Thankfully I caught it in time and dumped a whole bottle of carpet cleaner on it and it ended up coming completely out.

Where did the tutorial on felt Mr. Potato head go?

PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

Oh, My precious as pie!
    Don't you just love those TCP jammies? My little man was wearing his blue Christmas ones just last night! :)

Melissa says:

Just be glad the paint was there to distract him from the knives! Sheesh!

Gena says:

Oh.my.word. is right!! Could you imagine? At least your little guy got into a nice color. ;) I love Magic Erasers. They are lifesavers!

Winn Family says:

oh you poor thing! your little guy looks so cute though!

Jenn says:

Same thing here! Mine was a turquoise/blue/green. It was all over where she walked, the kitchen floor, hallway, stopped in the bathroom door and wiped hands off on the carpet. Then proceeded to do it all over again finger painting.

Sarah says:

Oh no! At least you had a sweet smiley face loving you through your/his mistake. :)
    God's blessings,
    Sarah :D

Funky Kim says:

I just adore that you recognized a kodak moment when it presented itself!

Karen says:

It's okay – because the Parenting Rule book says "thou shalt take photos and have a sense of humor" because in 20 years the photo will matter so much more than the mess ever did. I treasure the photo of my 2 year old self putting jelly in my grandmother's shoe – and the photo of my now grown son covered head to toe in Wilton blue. Priceless ;-)

Craftify It! says:

Those pics are priceless, even if you had to get out the magic eraser.

The link at the end…OH MY GOODNESS! I think I would have died!

Resweater says:

Those pictures are ADORABLE! That last one cracks me up.

The link is something else! I think I would have had to move ;)

Brielle says:

At least the paint matches his PJs right?

Rebecca D says:

Our girlies are 14 & 17 so I don't worry about "childproofing" too much… but I thought we were ok… until a watched a friends 3 year old son for two hours last week… It felt like 10 hours…We finally headed over to the playground for the sake of my lamps… I may need to completely redecorate when grandchildren come along… if I plan to enjoy them…

Meredith says:

I can SO relate – see post from last Monday:

Makes me laugh that others are having the same problem! And the link to the other gal – holy cow! Makes my mess look like nothing! Yikes!

Lila's Bowtique says:

Awwww…. how cute! He just wanted to match his jammies! That's why I keep the paint on the top shelf.

kate says:

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Lucy

TileGirl says:

Love, love, love your blog…great stuff!

Your little guys is so cute that I bet it's a little hard to scold him for getting into the paint.

Like another poster I'm wondering where the Mr. Potato Head tutorial went. I had bookmarked it to make for a first birthday gift. It's such a fab idea.

Leslie says:

look at him how could you be mad.

Kim Eppley says:

PRICELESS!

Marin D says:

Just found your blog. This is fun!

Here is my sister's mess story… She bought a huge house four years back and they upgraded the carpets in her new shiny craft room, the living room and their room. They had some fancy vinyl (I know it doesn't sound fancy but it is… LOL) flooring in the rest of the house. All of the bathrooms have a granite type material for the showers/tubs.

It was maybe a few months later that I had had my first baby and was over at the house because of some complications I had to have help to do stuff so I'd hang out at her house. We had gone into the craft room – which was normally locked – to do some stuff. We went out and ate lunch and then I pumped. Well here comes my niece. She is purple. Head to tow, purple. There are purple footprints from one end of the house to the other. And the upgraded, expensive carpet? Purple and black! My niece got into the ink refills for our stamp pads. Of course, she picked the black ink. Ruined the carpet, the chairs, table, paper, stamp pads, her clothes, borrowed (overpriced if you ask me) shoes. Hand prints on the walls. You name it.

To top it off, my sister took her to the bathroom to wash her off. Stained the granite tub and shower. Needless to say, it is still a sore subject with her. That door is never unlocked!

We feel your pain!

Oh my word Marin……that sounds horrible! I can imagine she just wanted to sit in a corner and cry! And what can you even do? Uuuugghhh……I pray something that damaging never happens. My gosh!!