A common question……

I get asked quite often how I have time to do what I do
Especially while having 2 small kiddos at home.

Well, it’s confession time.

My sink usually looks like this.

And our front room usually looks like this.

(sigh)

The clutter and I…..we’re friends now. So it’s okay.

One more thing……sometimes my “best ideas” end up like this.

Not sure what it is? Me either.

Just wanted to show you that I have a huge pile of mess-ups too.

Enjoy your weekend.

(I’ll be scrubbing the bathroom.)

Filed under Family, Random

Comments

68 Responses to “A common question……”
    The Grant Group says:

All this time I thought you were super woman!! I'm glad to know that you are more like me than I thought…. (although, you are still mighty impressive. I don't have that much talent.)

thoughts of a Wicked Stepmother says:

thanks for helping all of us feel more…like it is okay to be imperfect…lol. It was much appreciated!

The Jerseymooners says:

I love this post, and I love that your house is lived-in.

brandy says:

It seems like everyone is doing a confessions post lately, lol.

Deanna says:

So you ARE real! :)

Seriously though…my friends will ask me similar questions…they haven't been to my house…or seen my kids in pjs all day, or used my bathroom, or seen my kitchen…

Seriously. Sometimes a girl has got to do whatever she has to do. :) I love that you're real. And happily admit it. :)

P.S. I think I read your blog, every time you post. So here's a comment to prove it. :) You're wonderful!

Joanna says:

I know this sounds strange, but your messy sink looks so much cleaner than my messy sink. Maybe it's because mine is stainless?

Lindsey says:

This makes me feel soooo much better, so much.

Craftify It! says:

Haha! I think it is so important to MAKE time to do what we love…even if it means neglecting the dishes or the laundry or the vacuuming…

Thanks for sharing, even though my kitchen sink has twice as many dishes!

Sarah says:

Thank you, thank you! My house looks much the same, so glad to know I'm in good company.

Little Mrs Domestic says:

Thanks for sharing. :)

Weddings With The Cricut says:

Thank you for making me feel normal :)

Heidi Ferguson says:

Haha! I have been feeling like a failure of a mom/wife this week because of what a wreck my house has been all the time! But I'm so glad to know that you are right there with me.

Jennifer says:

So refreshing to know that it's normal that something has to "give" in order to have time to create with little ones around! Thanks! :) I really love your blog!

A Day In The Life Of Molly says:

is that scentsy in your kitchen? Love it!

lk says:

there may be some messes, but your house looks so clean. Mine is the opposite: usually tidied up, but don't dare look closely at the dust and "toddler grime"!

Thanks for sharing!

Jen says:

I'm so glad I'm not alone! I get asked the same question all the time, and I try *hard* to convince people that my house is sorely neglected and that's how. Mine is way worse than yours though! lol

Just Rhonda says:

hahahaha that is funny! :) People always ask me that too and I tell them they should see my pile of laundry to fold!

Michelle says:

Can we trade kitchen sinks? I have 2 kids and it always looks so much worse, lol. Glad you consider all of us friends enough to share :) We need to know its okay too, lol.

Laura Beth says:

I loved your post! My house looks very similar and I feel so bad when people pop in and see it that way. But, if my girls want to make American girl clothes out of scraps with me or if they want a new Sunday dress, I'm more than happy to pretend the clutter isn't there. It's good to know other moms do the same:)

craftevangelist says:

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone! We can do a lot, but we can't do it all, right?

Besides, the toys, the dishes, they'll still be there tomorrow, right?

Jennifer says:

Thank you so much! It's good to be reminded it's ok to have a messy house….
    Some food for thought: I read somewhere (can't remember where) that a woman with a spotless house is a boring woman.
    besides…. As long as everyone is healthy and the mess isn't a health hazard, spending time with and making things for the kids is more important than cleaning.

NatureGirl says:

Oh! Thank you thank you thank you! I soooo needed to see that!

Caroline says:

So glad to see I'm not alone!

Angie says:

I REALLY appreciate this post!

Scrappy Gifts says:

thanks for the honesty…but it still look nicer than when I start crafting.

Goings on at the Glenn's says:

I was going to do this same exact post on my blog today. You beat me to it. It is true, the house suffers when it is time to be creative, and I guess with me that is ALL THE TIME! Love ya! Glad I'm not the only one.

Carolyn says:

I know what you mean. I love to sew and other moms with young kids always ask when I have time to do it–or say they simply don't have the time like I do. I just tell them you make time for the things you really want to do. For example, some of those people spend a lot of time reading novels or watching TV, which I really don't do. And yes, my house is nowhere near spotless either. I don't know how it can be when you have little children at home all day–unless you become obsessed with following them around and cleaning up as they make a mess or nagging at every turn to clean up. Or, of course, hire a live-in maid, right?

Miss Anne says:

Yay! You're HUMAN and REAL! Whew! what a relief! :)

have a great weekend!

Dawn says:

thanks for making it real and making alot of us feel better!

Melissa says:

So you are human? I was beginning to wonder. I LOVE your blog. Your ideas inspire me and I have created some really great things thanks to your really great things. Did that make sense? Anyway, thanks!

Minharos says:

Hey, your sink and carpet look clean underneath the clutter. I'd count that as a success!

Amy says:

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I struggle with this daily! I have an online store so I work from the house and at the same time chase a 3 year old around! Some days I wonder where my days go! Thanks for sharing!! ;)

Alicia Alee says:

Oh Ashley I love ya!! I'm so glad you can relate and that you shared this :) I still think you're super woman, and that sink and front room was not NEARLY messy enough ;) lol. You amaze me!!

jodi says:

I spent the day making Valentine's cards with some friends and left my house in a similar situation. Sometimes I just need to spend time creating a small bit of something wonderful and let the dishes and the house go. The dishes will always be there, but satisfaction of the creative process feeds my soul.

Resh Rene` says:

Love the fact that all of us have messes! And Kudos to you for letting those messes wait to do something that you love!! Seizing a moment won't last…but if your house is anything like mine…the dishes will still be there when you're ready for them LOL

ThePineConeTeaCup says:

I love it…and here I thought it was just my house that looked that way. I honestly thought to myself yesterday that my husband was going to come home and fire me… ;)

Mad Sewing Love says:

Oh, it's so comforting knowing I'm not the only one!

tomiannie says:

Bless your heart! I frequently hope that no emergency happens and someone has to come into my house unexpectedly — yikes!

Andrea Hardman says:

Yay for REAL people! Good for you.

Tara says:

Is it bad that I'm relieved at seeing that your house isn't perfect? Still your mess is cleaner than a lot of people's mess :-)

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama says:

Love it!

Heather Feather says:

My project piles usually look like yours too. There's inspiration everywhere. Thanks for your amazing blog!

Rebecca George says:

Thank you for that! So often craft blogs like yours have such lovely photographs that it's easy to imagine that everyone in these houses live in a state of beauty and calm blissful order. It's a nice thought, but it always makes me feel like a loser! :-) I appreciate the honest glimpse of your house! Thanks again!

Army Wife Quilter says:

my house looks like that all day long until they go to bed then i clean the clutter and go to bed so that for 5 min in the morning my house looks clean. that is how long it lasts.

Lora says:

LOL!! It's nice to know you are human too.

Andrea says:

Dont you just love those Ikea dish scrubbers I dont know how I ever managed to wash dishes before:)

Laine says:

You won`t believe it! I was taking some pictures of my messy home today to post them on my blog but now I think I will just make a link to your blog and write "Same with me!"
    :))))
    P.S. I adore your blog!

Sare says:

So nice to know that you have messes too. Whew! Now I don't feel so bad :)

Briar Rose says:

My kitchen looks so much worse. My house looks like a diaster! No matter how long I clean and scrub it doesn't get much better. Makes me so mad a lot of the time! And we have lived in our house for 7 months and still living partially out of boxes because we haven't unpacked everything yet.

terrid614 says:

ashley~i think as long as the important things are getting done…..(blog postings~AND taking care of the fam~) (not necessarily in that order~lol)…i think the dishes can wait!!! love your blog~xoxo terri

Leah says:

I am so glad to know mine isn't the only house that looks like that!!

Erin says:

Yay, for authenticity…this way you'll know that people love you for who you really are, not some perfect image we have of you!

Aleisha says:

your husband must be a saint! ;)

Kim N. says:

I had to laugh…I was reading this post, and my two year old son was looking over my shoulder saying, "Big mess, Mama!" (As if our house is any better, especially right now with a newborn!!) :)

The Noalls says:

So did you see my post a few days ago where I lamented on my own lack of creativity and wondered how these crafty mommies find the time? Lol. I agree with everyone, I think it was very sweet of you to let us know we're all alike. Btw, I finally got to use your electronics cozy tutorial for our GPS, with the CUTEST fabric. At least I think so. :) http://jasonandkristina.blogspot.com/2010/02/craft-bragging-gps-cozy.html, and I linked back to you. Have a great day!

Jennifer says:

I guess with a great camera, even a dirty sink looks good!

Anderson says:

You were pretty great before, but you are significantly cooler after posting messy house pics! :) It's nice to know our hero isn't totally perfect either.

miscellaneous.originals.stuff says:

hey, those look like they could have come from MY house!! :) and after reading all those other comments, I don't feel alone -

Northern NY Mom says:

hahahahaha! Thanks for that! :)

Megan says:

this makes me feel a little better.

Megan says:

this makes me feel a little better.

tchris says:

Thank you! Thank you so much for showing your messes. Nice to know you've made peace with it. I'm still working on that. :-)

Marcella says:

this makes me feel better. although i have to admit, mine is still worse.

Benitta says:

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Lucy

adrianaved says:

haha it is funny you say that clutter and you have become friends now. I was just thinking the same yesterday!! Clutter doesn't bother me anymore we are friends!!

dri says:

It's great to see that you are human ashely– bc i love looking at your crafts and wonder how does she have the time> She must be super women.

Aaron and Kristi says:

Thank you SO much!!! You have just released me from the guilt I have been having all week!!! Very much appreciated reality check! :)

Marcie says:

Hm.. I'm not super convinced. Those kind of look like posed pictures. The clutter kind of looks like it is an organized effort to look like it is an actual mess. Now, if you want some real messy house pictures. stop on over!