What type of sewing machine lives at your house?

Well, you all know the machine that has served me well for 3 years now.
Click here if you don’t.

I get asked frequently what type of sewing machine I use but every time I answer, I think….“Gee, that doesn’t help much. It’s only one type and one person and one preference.” (oh, and one small budget…..believe me, there are pricey machines that I would love to have living at my house. If you know of any swanky machines looking for a place to live, call me….)

So, I was thinking…..let’s ask the rest of you.

Then I can refer people to this post. And,Why not? You all collectively have a lot more advice than I do.

So share it with me. I’m actually really curious what others like.

So leave a comment and include:
  1. Brand and model of sewing machine.
  2. Your favorite feature of your sewing machine.
  3. Something that bugs you about your machine.
  4. Price range

I’ll start:

1. Singer 7444
  2. It has a wide stitch selection. I love having options. Oh, and I love that it’s computerized.
  3. The button-hole setting is very finicky. Sometimes it makes me so steamin’ mad. And I mean steamin’. Grrrr……that is the ONE thing that actually makes me want a new one.
  4. $200

Okay, if you have a minute…….go on and share.

Don’t be shy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Filed under Sewing, Sewing Tips

267 Responses to “What type of sewing machine lives at your house?”
    Look What I Did says:

Janome 8077
    Internal metal parts and some really pretty stitch options
    I really don't know yet… I just got it for Christmas and have only been practicing with it so far
    I think it was around $300?

Carrie says:

Brother CS-6000i
    I LOVE the fact that it has over 50 stitch options, some of them are very fancy and cute!
    I don't really have anything that makes me mad about it, cause when it freaks out most of the time it's something I have done to mess it up.

Bobbie says:

I have a Bernina 1008. It really does not have a lot of bells and whistles. It basically just have need for the straight stitch and zig zag. I have also used the zipper, buttonhole, and some decorative stitches.
    THe only thing that bugs me about my machine is when it needs a tune up…man it groans and moans and lets me know its time for some tlc…It has only happened a couple of times in 3 yrs.

I have not a clue what the price range is…I received it as a christsmas present from my parents. It was used, but barely used. I would definitely go to a sewing machine shop and let them know you are interested in a good machine that is a trade in. All I know is they got a great deal on it.

Jackie says:

I'm a beginner so I'll be difficult….all I know is that I have an older Singer (probably 20-30 years old) that I bought off Craigslist. I haven't used all of the stitches and stuff yet since some of it scares me….
    But in the month or two I have had it, it has served me well (as I swear and rip seams) :)

Cheryl says:

1. Brother SE270D
    2. Dummyproof time savers like automatic threader, bobbin loader, built in scissors & digital troubleshooting guide AND does embroidery (haven't tried that out though)
    3."Safety" feature that freezes machine if something gets stuck
    4. Got it for $255

I have been using that same machine for years! Every so often I fight with the tension and very thick fabrics, that’s when I turn to my 1958 Kenmore 117.841. It’s a workhorse and never lets me down. But, the Brother SE270D has really done a lot of sewing for me throughout the years, with not much complaining.

LeAnn says:

1.Baby lock Decorators choice
    2.Lots of stitch choices, reliable, fast, computerized functions and the easy button holes.
    3.It's kind of whimpy. It doesn't handle TONS of fabric well. But I think I'm a little tough on it sometimes.
    4. $500 ish

my dream sewing machine is a Bernina. Those things are tough!

sjones says:

I have a Kenmore 18221
    It has basic stitches and some decorative stitch options.
    Nothing bugs me so far I'm loving it!
    The price range is $99-$130 (depending on what sale is happening).

Stephanie says:

1. Singer 'Pixie'
    2. 8 different stitch options, small, purple (!!)
    3. I tried sewing on some stretchy material and it was just not working – but, I think that was more the user than the machine…
    4. $40-$45 (Wal-Mart)

For being a major beginner in the land of sewing, I really didn't want to spend much mony at all, and only happened to buy this machine because it was on sale…and for what I do with it, I love it! It sews cotton fabrics like a dream, and seems to be very 'idiot proof'! (That, and because it was inexpensive, I'm not afraid I'm going to break it, which means I actually use it!)

peaches says:

husqvarna Emerald 183
    like all the different stitches, can also stich letters (only one style, but it is nice),
    when I put down the feed dog, it sometimes takes a few try and error to put it back.
    But that is the only small thing.
    And I love the fact that I can choose the speed and that it is computerised.
    Love the machine. Costs around 600 euro.

M says:

I have a Viking Emerald 183. It does everything and easy to operate. Price was on sale for US$1000. It only wants one type of thread and certain needles for certain sewing tasks but it is a gem. Takes awhile to get used to after the old Singers that were work horses. I would say that it is intermediate in price. The $1000 was well invested as I make all my clothes, dog clothes and about live with it. Also make some men clothing, reupholstering, etc.

Emma says:

1. Brother CS-6000i
    2. I am a VERY beginner sewer, and it's perfect for me, very easy to use. It has a lot of different stitches, which are fun, and it comes with a free motion quilting foot, which I haven't used yet, but I am excited to try it out.
    3. At first, I had a lot of problems with the bobbin getting stuck and the thread getting caught and breaking, but I think it was user error with a tension setting.
    4. It was a gift, but I think it was around $150-$200

tinahead81 says:

brother lx3125
    i love that its very easy to use(i'm a beginner-never used a sewinig machine before)
    i wish it had the automatic threader
    it was $54(its a referb)@ overstock.com

Holly says:

1. Viking Husqvarna 190 Selectronic. It's at least 20 years old. My mom had one like it that I used in my teen years (she still has it). My parents wanted to get me jewelry for my college graduation gift, and practical gal that I am, I asked for a sewing machine instead. And it was used at the time.

2. I love that it's simple, especially by today's computerized standards! I'd much rather embroider by hand than by machine. It's a workhorse, and I dread the day it breaks and I have to wade through all the fanciness that's out there today.

3. Last year I sent it in for a tuneup, and I *swear* the neutral needle position is a little to the left of where it used to be!

4. No idea what it cost. You probably can't get one anymore.

bethany says:

Brother innovis-40
    I love that this machine is quiet, has an awesome button holer, and should last me a long time!
    Nothing-absolutely nothing bad about it.
    around $400

Kalleigh Hathaway says:

Ha ha … this assumes I have only one machine!

1. 1920's Singer (electric with knee pedal power)
    2. Simple and easy; never any tension problems – I use it only for piecing quilts since it only does a straight stitch in one direction (although there is a fancy buttonhole attachment contraption)
    3. Doesn't have a backstitch – I'd use it much more if it did
    4. No idea. I think I found mine for $10 at a yard sale about 20 years ago.

1. 1980's Bernina – have no idea what model. I traded my bare bones 1990's Singer for it to a wealthy family friend who doesn't know how to sew but didn't want to be without a machine.
    2. Lots of fancy stitches and feet
    3. Sometimes has tension issues, especially with machine quilting. Also the bobbin winder is kind of broken so I wind all my bobbins on my Singer.
    4. No clue, either what it cost back in 1982 when it was probably retailing, or now to buy used.

I don't do much sewing beyond chain stitching quilt pieces and the occasional machine quilting project, so I actually use the Singer more often. I had to pull out the Bernina when making the last few Cathedral Windows quilts I did because I needed to go backwards and forwards several times when sewing the base squares. These machines do everything I need them to. My mom has one of those fancy Husqvarna Vikings that she puts computer disks into and it sews her embroidery patterns while she works on her serger or standard machine, but with just my quilting and the occasional basic craft, I'm happy with what I've got.

Nancy says:

I have a Bernina 440.
    I love the needle up/down and the knee lift…
    I wish it had an automatic thread cutter…
    I can't remember exactly how much it costs, cause I traded in another Bernina and then added some cash…

Peaches Norsworthy says:

I have the very same machine, And twin new grandsons. I am trying to stitch #156 around baby blankets for them (the hearts) I don:t know h ow to get into the 100’s on the machine. There is somthing I need to press. Do you know ? Thanks

Carole says:

Janome QC (Quilters Companion) 6125. I don't think you can get this specific model any more. It's a good entry level quilting machine.
    What I love – lots of stitches, it came with everything you need to quilt, which is awesome.
    What I don't like – it's a bit clunky.
    Cost – I think it was $700 (CND).

Jen says:

I wish I had a sewing machine!

IMO says:

When you do get ready to buy one, I would suggest going for quality (good reputation, solid, METAL if you can find it, etc.) over a machine with a bunch of bells & whistles & fancy stitches you’ll probably never use. There are few things more frustrating than having a fancy machine that won’t even sew a straight or zig-zag stitch without major hassle. Go for quality and simplicity….you can always get fancier.

Here, my comment is almost 4 years later…..hope you finally have a sewing machine!

Lauren says:

1. Janome Sew Precise
    2. LED screen tells you what your stitch length/width needs to be when you change your stitch setting = no looking it up in the manual every single time
    3. One-step button-hole…argh! Tear my hair out frustrating!!
    4. $350, I think (I got it on sale)

Courtney says:

Janome (2 years old, step up from basic model)
    I really like the automatic button hole and the drop in bobbin.
    I wish that it had a curvy stitch.
    I think it was around $300.

My Grandmother is an Expert seamstress and she recommends Janome as a good "inexpensive" machine.

Merry says:

I don't have one, but this post is definitely so helpful! I'm thinking about getting one soon.

Pink Heather says:

I still have the Kenmore my parents bought me for graduation back in the early 80's. Have no idea what it cost.
    The thing I hate about it is having to buy the needles through Sears. I wonder if they even still make them? The last time I bought needles was probably 20 years ago and I stocked up… BIG TIME.
    I love that it still sews. I use it more on my scrapbook pages now, rather than sewing fabric, though I still need to do the occasional mending.
    I'm going to need needles soon. Paper really dulls them fast.

Brenda says:

You DO NOT have to buy your needles from Sears. Most home sewing machines take a common needle size available everywhere. You should change your needles often, that can make a big difference in your stitching quality. I buy Schmetz by the 100 when on sale at the dealer but you can get them 1/2 off @ Joann’s w/cpn or at Walmart or online. I have about 50 machines including new and old Kenmores and all my machines take this same needle system. Best wishes.

• 21.1.1
        IMO says:

Are you serious? About 50 – FIFTY – machines? You must have one gigantic sewing room! 50? Wow.

Brenda says:

The machines are stashed all over my house. But I DO have a large sewing room, 27 x 43, because I got a position teaching sewing at the local Community Center.

kris says:

husqvarna viking rose sewing/embroidery machine with quilting attachments
    nice included stitches, super smooth and quiet
    nothing bugs me, it's a great machine
    it's discontinued, you can get it for $300-$500 on ebay now

Lara says:

I own a Singer 2263.

It is pretty basic, my husband bought it for me.

It is perfect for the beginners!

I LOVE it!

It was $100.

Vintage Dutch Girl says:

Kenmore 19233
    Love having many options, especially the needle-down feature and love the computerization.
    Wish it went faster.

Also new Brother serger 1034D. So far so good…it just scares me a bit!

Delia says:

Kenmore…actually I am not sure what type of Kenmore but the basic one from K-Mart I bought almost 4 years ago.

It has all the basic stuff I need and it has not broken down once in 4 years or needed a tune-up…and I have been hard on it.

It is REALLY basic. Only like 10 stitch options.

burkfamily1 says:

Jeans Machine by White
    I like that it works for the most part.
    We bought this about 8 years ago when we were pretty poor. The sales lady told me that "Jeans" was just the name of the machine, and that didn't mean it was for sewing jeans. I hoped it would anyway. It was about all we could afford. This machine does not like heavy cloth. It's so frustrating! I do a lot of sewing with heavy cloth, and it clogs up and breaks needles all the time. I can't even tell you how many broken needles I've had. Sometimes I'll break 4 or 5 on just one project, even when I'm trying to be careful. The button hole function doesn't work either. One of these days…..
    It was a long time ago, so I'm not sure how much it cost. Probably between $100 and $200.

Jaimi_C says:

*Sear's Kenmore 1316
    *It really handles thicker projects with ease.Its a heavy duty metal machine and very plain and simple to use.
    *Wish it had more stitches.
    *I don't know how much it cost. Its a machine from the 80's and my mom got it at a grage sale a long time ago for $15.

angela says:

1. Bernina 940 (i think)
    2. It was my grandmother's machine.
    3. Haven't found anything yet.
    4. Free (see #2).

Susie says:

Bernina Record 930e. It was my mom's and you can't buy them anymore.

I love that it is easy to use and doesn't get stuck easily.

I just wish I knew how to use some of the fancier options. Also, I don't have a manual so I have to skim the PDF every time I want to learn something.

I don't know how much they run for now (used), but I get the impression it was top-of-the-line in the '80s.

Jeanna GT says:

White 2037 (beats my sewing genie)

It has enough stitch options for a novice like me!

I just had to get it fixed because the tension is constantly getting messed up

Around $350

laundryontheline says:

Kenmore 15618

This is a strong, sturdy machine, it handles all kinds of weights and thicknesses of fabrics, it is the best buttonholer I have ever had in a machine, it came with a walking foot which I use a lot!
    On the downside I have always had problems with the tension, and after owning it for four years I seem to have run it into the ground (it does get a lot of use though and I do not take it in for "check-ups" so perhaps it is fixable.)
    Cost – around $150 (Canadian)

Robin says:

I know this was posted awhile ago but I am looking for the kenmore 15618 user manual…just a copy of it.not sure if you would be willing to help with this :)

serra says:

I am still learning about my machine. I know it's an old bernina– like at least 30 years old and runs like a champ. I love it because I know it will run forever if I take good care of it, and it's got all METAL PARTS!

price $50 love the DI!

Brenbren says:

Bernina 220
    It has lots of stitch options, runs smoothly and sews even smoother. I {heart} this machine. Her name is Gigi and she is the newest member of our family!
    I wish it had the turtle and hare option (speed control dial) But it isn't that big of deal.

Logan and Sydney says:

I have a Brother CE-5000PWR (Project Runway limited edition). I love that it is computerized and was still really inexpensive. Also it has a lot of stitch options. I hate that if something gets stuck or whatever the machine freezes (it happened in the middle of a buttonhole and I could't pick up where I left off after I fixed it). I bought it at walmart after my Singer bit the dust. It was around $150-$200. It was the cheapest digital machine I could find.

Melissa Lane says:

I am having the same problem would you mind telling me how you fixed the freeze up or Error I think it is 6 Thanks

M says:

I got one of those sitting in a chair. It lasted about one week here and I knew it would never keep up with me. That’s when I went to a real sewing machine dealer and got my Viking Emerald 183. It does EVERYTHING!! I only have to push the right buttons.

Suzanne says:

Type: Baby Lock Xscape; Favorite feature: It's only 12 pounds — very lightweight — but it is a workhorse!!! It has 66 different stitches; Bugs me: Nothing. I love it! Price: Around $350-$400.

This machine is meant to be traveler — hence its light weight, but I use it all the time and love it!

(The other day Jodi and I had lunch together and made the connection that you are her sister. I had visited your blog just a few days before for the first time! Small world.)

– Suzanne

Erica says:

Brother (something or other it was grandma's)
    I love that it works (and beat the heck out of hand sewing) and was free.
    I battle the bobbin (set in kind) regulary, and the spool holder broke before I got it so the spool falls off regulary.
    I don't think they make it anymore so it is priceless. :)

Gena says:

1. Baby Lock Design Pro (pretty basic)
    2. Love the threader feature, so handy, so fast!
    3. There isn't a speed adjustment, which would be really nice for some things when I am trying to be a little more cautious and go slower. My foot just doesn't keep as steady sometimes.
    4. $300ish (I have an awesome grandma-in-law who takes sewing very seriously so she helped pitch in with my husband for an anniversary gift our first year!)

Jen says:

Singer 403A
    I love that it's not a piece of junk plastic (been there, done that!). It's totally old school, but it gets the job done and is still going strong.
    I do wish it had more bells and whistles, but despite it's age, it actually has a lot of stitches and attachments.
    I bought it used on ebay for about $75, and that included shipping.

Lisa says:

Baby Lock Allure

I can sew ANYTHING with it. I have sewn 5 layers of leather and it acted as if it was nothing. Plus it's an embroidery machine.

There is nothing about it I don't like, I thank my husband for it every week.

Price, ummmmmm…. much more than I would pay for a machine myself. But totally worth it.

the heller family says:

I have Singer Inspiration and I think it is perfect for a beginner because of the easy top loading bobbin and it is priced low for around a $100.

Vone says:

Juki Industrial sewing machine
    I love it. It can sew through anything. It's actually not as loud as I thought it would be when I got it. And I've used it on many more different types of fabrics than I would have thought too, knits, lightweight satins and leather. You can wined another bobbin while you sew on the side of the machine.
    Downside is it only does straight stitch.
    I bought it for $300 off someone who was moving out of the country but I think it retails for closer to $600.
    I also have a serger and Singer home sewing maching. I use it for the decorative stitchs and buttonholes (it does super easy buttonholes) but I choose my Juki over it whenever I can.

Joe, Christina, & Rocky says:

I have a Brother CE5000 PRW. My Boyfriend got it for me for my birthday – and I had no idea what I was looking for, but I liked that it was the "project runway edition" and it got decent reviews all over.
    I really haven't had any problems with it, but I wouldn't really know any better? It's a great beginner machine with a ton of stitches and really easy-to-read instructions, all digital, ran about $140.
    I've made a bunch of "beginner" projects with it, blankets, pillows and the like – and it's never given me much hassle!

Luv 2 Kreate says:

1. I have a Series 8 Bernina 820
    2. I LOVE the extra large sewing space, the needle up/down, the thread cutters, extra large bobbin, speed control, really there is so much to love about my machine those are just the TOP ones.
    3. My only complaint is that is didn't come with a straight stitch needle plate. I really would like to get one and I think for the price it should have come with one…JMO
    4. It was a little pricy, but well worth every penny.

I also have a Singer Ingenuity. I started out with this one, but quickly found it didn't do the things I wanted it to do. I still use it every now and again, and it has been a good machine. It came with all the quilting accessories, and I LOVED that! It was around $300 I think.

Marlatt Five says:

Brother LS-2125i

I love that it's basic because I'm still and intermediate sewer.

The thread comes loose atleast once every time I sew.

jmberrygirl says:

It's a Brother. I call it Satan. It's a year old. Approx $150.00 I like that it gets the job done with limited muss and fuss. Most of the time. There's this knotting issue. With the bogging. It makes me crazy, but I am fairly certain the fault lies with the user and not the machine…

IMO says:

It could be your thread. The ‘bargain’ threads are very expensive and not worth the frustration. Try a better quality thread.

kimberly says:

Brother CS6000i
    Really easy to to use. Works flawlessly most of the time and it has tons of stitch options. :-)
    It does have a small problem going through thicker materials (ie – many layers of fabric being sewn together), but I fixed that by buying a heavy duty needle used for sewing jeans.
    I bought mine for $160 from Amazon.

Alida L. says:

I have a Bernina Artista 185
    It is FABULOUS!! It does embroidery, lots of different stitch options, it's really quiet, automatic thread cutter, computerized so I can download embroidery patterns, I could go on all day.
    Nothing really bugs me about it. Really!
    I don't know how much it cost but it was probably a lot. My mother-in-law gave it to me when she bought a new one. Sweet woman, I love her to pieces!

Lacey says:

Type: Singer Ingenuity

Like: Computerized stitching (70 stitches), easy to use, came with a quilting extension

Dislike: Gathers fabric dust inside easily

Price: $200-250

DeAnna says:

Older Kenmore, Singer Futura, Brother 1034D serger

The first was my first machine after I got married… liked the buttonholer, and it has a good bit of stitches. Price???? it was almost 14 years ago, but I'm sure it was pretty cheap. It has held up great, I still use it, and its just finally starting to act like it could use a tune up.

Second machine is for embroidery, but also sews beautifully. I love using my ruffler foot on it. I think they run around $600. Wish I would have gotten a bigger/better embroidery machine – the hoops are odd sizes, but since it sews as well it will at least replace my Kenmore when it takes its last breath.

Last – my serger, I just got it a few months ago and I was really wanting a serger, so anything would have made me happy. Not the fanciest serger out there, but it was less than $200. I've been very happy with how easy mine is and am loving it.

(I also have an antique singer in a wood carry case, but its just for decoration – and my 6 year old daughter has a tiny little White Sew Quick machine that she adores using)

Now…. if I could just find the time to actually use them more. :)

Char @ Crap I've Made says:

Brand and model of sewing machine: Babylock Decorators Choice

Your favorite feature of your sewing machine: The auto back stitch/thread cutter

Something that bugs you about your machine: Absolutely nothing. I adore my machine.

Price range: $700-ish

Sarah Moran says:

My machine is a Kenmore that my husband bought me about 13 years ago.
    My favorite thing about it is that it's simple and it still works and I've never taken it in to be tuned up!
    It bugs me that the bobbin winder can be tempermental and that is sometimes come unthreaded for will for no apparent reason.
    I think this was somewhere between $125-150 when we bought it new.

The Harris Family says:

Brother CE-5000PRW

several stitch options, computerized, very easy to use.

This is my first machine and I had never touched a sewing machine before last year so all(haven't been many) probablems I've had are because I did something wrong.

It was on sale for $120 (I think)

Mom's Place says:

1. Singer 5050C
    2. It has a wide stitch selection. Yet it is simple.
    3. I haven't come across anything I don't like. I've owned it for 7 years or so now.
    4. $150

Powers Fam says:

1. Kenmore 385?
    I have had this machine for 16 years and have only serviced it once.
    2. It is just a super easy to use machine. My mom bought it for me as a going off to college gift.
    3. It is loud. This doesn't really bug me as much as my husband pointing out the fact that my machine is loud does.
    4. Probable $100 or less.

1. Husqvarna Huskylock 936
    2. I bought this machine because it was supposed to be one of the easier machines to thread. And it isn't that bad. I bet if I used it more often I would be a champ at it. and a machine that cuts as you sew?? Amazing! Love that about it.
    3. I feel like a need a few lessons to fully know how to use this machine. But it has two stiches that I absolutely love to use that makes finishing off clothing look so much nicer.
    4. I think I paid about $1400

On my wish list…..an embroidery machine.

Lyn says:

I have a Baby Lock BL-40 (Grace)
    I pretty much love everything about it, but especially the one step buttonholer.
    I wish it had automatic thread cutter on it
    It was $399
    Just bought it 2 months ago and I'm so happy with it!

Jessica says:

My mom gave me her old sewing machine. It's a Singer Stylist 6544. It's about 30 years old but it gets the job done. I don't like how loud it is and it doesn't have very many options. I'd love to have a new sewing machine. It's on my wishlist.

Infant Bibliophile says:

I have an Elna 6600 Quilter's Dream 2 (which I saved up for and debated for a long time before splurging on. I would skip little things like eating out and coffee etc. and say it was going toward my sewing machine purchase). It has a lot of fun features, but my favorite thing about it is that I don't have any more "steamin' mad" moments at my machine. My last machine (also an Elna) had a problem with the tension and it would drive me nuts. I seem to have blocked the price from my mind, but I think it was somewhere around $1,000.

IMO says:

Congrats on saving the money to purchase your machine! That’s awesome discipline! And by skipping the eating out and coffee, you’re probably buying smaller size patterns, too!

Kandy P says:

–Brother SE350
    –LOVE that it does embroidery (designs and letters) and you can download/buy all different pictures and fonts. it has a needle threader, thread cutter, touch screen, and a ton of other features. Not too hard to use either!
    –really only thing that has been an issue is every once in awhile if you don't do the thread just right it will pull too tight and mess up the tension.
    –around $350

Laree says:

1. Bernina Activa 125
    2. Cute extra stitches, simple and easy to use – and does everything I need (except serge!)
    3. Never had a problem with it (other than breaking needles when I sew over pins . . .)
    4. Around $600 (my parents bought it for a wedding present.)

Lindsay says:

Kenmore Mini Ultra.

I love that it's small. It's a 3/4 size machine with a full size engine.

There's really nothing that I don't love about it. It has served me very well.

It costs about $100.

SewingMama says:

Brother HE 240
    I love that it does embroidery too! And it has a USB port to connect to my computer, so creating designs and sending them to my machine is very easy.
    The thread tension is VERY picky. It has taken me 9 months to perfect it and it is different for each function.
    I spent about $350 for it.

Kristen and Ryan says:

1. Viking Designer 1
    2. the "fix" button (no backstitch required) and the "cut" button and the presser foot comes down when you start and lifts up when you stop automatically. makes me lazy and I love it!
    3. it makes me mad that I haven't used the embroidery as much as I should have
    4. $1200 refurbished…but shhh….my husband gets embarrassed when I tell people how much I spent. And again, I really should be embroidering every day with the price I paid for it!

Linda says:

Bernina!! I have had a few and love, Love LOVE them!! No jammed bobbins–runs forever. It will be the last machine you have to buy. I have even purchased 2nd hand and the are awesome!!

I have an old industrial 830; a basic one (I don't know the #) that I got second hand. My daughter got one for her wedding and my other daughter got one in high school with her money then. All run so great–never a problem!!! I am a true blue BERNINA lover!!! It will last your entire life!!!

LeAnn says:

1. Bernina Activa 220
    2. I love how easy it is to use as a beginner and that there are a variety of stitches.
    3. Haven't had it long enough to discover any problems.
    4. $700-$800 I think. It was a christmas present – My in laws took pity on me since I had been sewing on a Singer my mom let me borrow. She bought in 1961 that only did a straight stitch.

Kerrie says:

I also have an Elna Quilters Dream but I bought it for the features not quilting. I killed 2 machines in college sewing nonstop projects, I have had this machine for 9 years now and no issues. My husband and I move every year and I haven't needed to get it serviced, yes I know I should but I use canned air on it every time when I am done. It is my baby. I also spent around $1000.

Machines I have used:
    Several older(1960 and 2000) and newer Singers, I killed them both.

White, this is my moms and is almost 30 years old. It still works great and even for an older machine has some great features.

Bernina, numerous models. I used them in college in the sewing labs, in the theater department in college and for traveling broadway shows. They are ok but not as smooth as my Elna. This brand in my opinion is just better known, but not better.

My Elna has an automatic buttonholder, put the button in it and it pretty much is done. It has an automatic threader but I rarely use it. It does some great embroidery stitches I love this machine! I also have a Necchi serger that I am not sold on.

Sorry that was so wordy, I spent a lot of time trying out everyone I knew's machines before I splurged on mine. That is what I would suggest.

ellen says:

Brand and model: Singer 776 Stylist (I bought it in high school with money I received when my grandmother died)

Favorite feature: it's strong and sturdy

Something that bugs me:

Nothing really bugs me (except I wish I could buy a $800 Bernina!)

Price range: it was around $200 in the mid 70's

minapyssel says:

Husqvarna Automatic

It's som damn good looking! From the 60's, green and elegant, I love it! And it makes very nice looking seams as well, right stitching and zig-zaging that is.

It doesn't sew seams that works for stretchy fabrics. That's why I ordered an overlocker (today actually)

I think I payed 300 swedish kronor, thats about 40 USD.

clae says:

Brother Innovis 1200.
    It's a sewing/embroidery machine in one so I guess the best part about is being able to "kill 2 birds with one stone" haha!
    I purchased this machine mainly for the embroidery part but since then have upgraded to a Brother PR620 commerical machine so now I use my Innovis mostly for general sewing. It has an array of beautiful decorative stitches. However, this machine has good days and bad. Some days I want to beat it with a bat but other days it sews like a dream!
    Innovis cost around $1200.00
    PR620 $7000.00

Jenn says:

Bernina 830, born in 1976.
    Good workhorse of a machine. It's getting pretty old though.
    I bought it used about 12 years ago for $450.
    I like its reliability and sturdiness.
    It makes me mad that it's old and many parts are no longer available. I need to be very good to it.
    I am also offering a comfortable home to a swanky, homeless machine.

~holly says:

1. bernina aurora 430
    2. it has 4 thread cutters! plus an optional embroidery module (that i purchased!). also, it's computerized and has tons of stitches.
    3. it doesn't have a drop in bobbin
    4. more than i care to admit ;o) but worth EVERY penny!

Chris and Sarah says:

Brother CS-6000
    favorite thing: the button hole maker! It is so simple!!!
    something that bugs me: nothing really, I usually do something wrong.
    Price: $50!!!!!! I bought mine refurbished from a brother dealer and it has been the BEST $50 I have ever spent :)

Julie says:

1. 1961 Singer Slant-O-Matic… old school! But it works like a champ :)
    2. It has some great stitching settings, but I never use them!
    3. It's in a stinking table! I can't ever bring it over to a friend's house for the day. No fun!
    4.I found it at a yard sale for $15 about two years ago – I've seen them on Craigslit and eBay for around $200-$300

Twiddle Thumbs says:

I have a Bernina. It is old and had no other distinguising model number.
    It sews like a dream and gives me no trouble.
    The cord is old and doesn't like to stay in the outlet. There is no button-hole feature.
    My mom picked mine up at a garage sale and there's no way she would've paid more than $20. She had it refurbished.
    Mom has had an industrial-quality Bernina for 30 years and loves it and loves the brand.

the thrifty ba says:

brother cs8072
    only problems with this have beenn user error.
    funny story on how if got it-one decemeber i open the trunk of hubbys car and there is a sewing machine! so there was my christmas gift. so to make him feel better, i started hinting that id really like one for christmas. he felt so good about himself-and that has been 7 years and i havent told him the truth!

lorimu says:

1. Babylock Espire
    2. I LOVE the automatic thread cutter
    3. I wish it had a sensor to tell me when the bobbin was out
    4. $1200 (8 years ago)

Rowanmayfairs says:

Brother 50 Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine-Limited Edition Project Runway

I like that is computerized and easy to use.

What bugs me is that it doesn't remember my stitch setting when I turn off the machine.. But then this is probably a good thing too so I don't leave it on say zig zag stitch when I need straight stitch.

My machine is $139.97

Hubby got it christmas 2008 as a gift for me when I was learning to sew.

"Lois Grebowski" says:

1. Singer Futura (CE-350), Singer confidence (7470), and Janome 8077

2. I love all three, especially the Janome… That's my machine for the RV. Runs so smooth and quiet! all have awesome stitch options. Also love the speed setting on the Janome.

3. The Futura is a finicky machine

4. $700, $400, $300 (both singers were factory refurb models)

IMO says:

I bought a Singer Futura (maybe model 6000 or something like that?). i bought it new in the early 70’s when it was first introduced. What a modern, cool-looking machine! What a total piece of crap! I paid $600+ for it AND traded in my Singer 457? zigzag – which I loved. Big mistake. The Futura was made with a lot of plastic and sounded like a thrashing machine….whenever it was operating, that is. It was such a stress-inducer. I hated it. Never bought another Singer product after that.

annemarie says:

I have a 35 year old Kenmore that still works perfectly. It has served me well all these years. I love the fact that it is metal – not plastic – a heavy machine. I dislike the buttonhole maker – it has templates and is hard to use. I cannot remember what I paid for this machine back in the 70's but I know it was not much! I would not trade this machine for anything – too many memories.

Brendajos says:

Oh my…I have two now.

1. Janome Threadbanger TB30
    2. Real basic and easy machine to use, with decent number of stitches
    3. I didn't know it at the time, but I disliked not having a threadcutter on the machine. I found out later how much I hate cutting threads.
    4. Got it for about $600 but I think it can be had for about half that now.

Annnnnd the other…

1. Janome MC11000SE
    2. I have only had this machine a few weeks, but so far I just sit and stare while it embroiders, i LOVE playing with all the available sewing stitches, and one of these days (this weekend?) I am going to sandwich some scraps together and watch the quilting functions. Seriously I can push a button and it does almost everything for me.
    3. I actually find the "automatic" threader to be more difficult to use than the slightly less automatic threader of the threadbanger. It's fine but I prefer the other.
    4. *ahem* I believe retail is about $8000. I got it as a gift or I would still be using the Threadbanger.

I love this new machine. I was at a craft show looking at gifts for a friend's new baby and thinking "I could totally do THIS if I had an embroidery machine." So I started looking and kept coming back to the MC11k because of all the features. I jokingly put it on my christmas list (along with a refridgerator… didn't get that…darn) and my Mother started looking at it for herself. So now we each have one… mostly so I can be tech support when she gets stuck I think. ;-)

Mrs. Darnell says:

Brother Disney embroidery version…
    I love that I can embroider and sew with the same machine…
    Embroidery sometimes doesn't work…

Landon and Kylie says:

I have some kind of Viking Husqvarna – I inherited it from my grandmother about six months ago. It's at least 30 years old.
    I love that it's all metal parts, easy to thread, and so far has handled thick fabric layers pretty well.
    The bobbin thread gets tangled quite often, but I'm pretty sure that's my fault. I had never sewn anything in my life until six months ago.
    Price: for me it was free!

IMO says:

Thread problem could be inferior/bargain thread…or old thread. Maybe try a better quality, fresher thread.

Domestica says:

I have a Kenmore that I found at a yard sale 5 years ago for $50. It has been a great machine. I still don't know how to do button holes on it. I tried it once and couldn't get it to work. I like that it is still working and that I got it for so cheap.

Brett and Jen says:

1.Brand and model of sewing machine.
    Singer Confidence
    2.Your favorite feature of your sewing machine.
    Super easy bobbin threading!! The easiest I've ever used and 70 different stitch options.
    3.Something that bugs you about your machine.
    Nothing really, I've heard that it can be hard to find extra bobbins but I haven't found that annoying yet.
    4.Price range

Nike says:

1. 1941 Singer Featherweight
    (looks like an old fashioned black/gold treddle machine)
    2. Love that its tiny, can stitch through 9 layers without breaking a sweat and has the easiest hand wheel – I can get that sucker anywhere! I LOVE the attachments for ruffles, making your own bias tape and a rolled hem (super easy).
    3. I wish it could do more than a straight stitch and I also wish it had seem allowance marks near the needle.
    4. My MIL got one for all of her girls so I'm not sure. You can find them on eBay for $200-$500.

Canadiachik says:

Janome quilter's companion 6125.
    Love the decorative stitches,(computerized), up/down and speed features. Also came with various feet – love the walking foot.

I only feel it isn't as smooth when I use it after running my MIL's upper-end 10 year old Pfaff (which is the most amazing machine I've ever used, hands down). I don't notice a difference in the quality of stitch, however.

About $700 7-8 years ago.

Dawn N. says:

1. Husqvarna Viking Emerald 118
    2. It's a workhouse and has never failed me.
    3. I wish it had a few fancier stitches
    4. $480ish

Kinderfalls Primitives says:

Janome Memory Craft
    It does everything except wash the dishes
    It's like all women, it has it's off days.
    £899.00 (no idea how much that is in dollars)
    I would be lost without it and when it needs attention (again, like all women do) I have to make do with my old (3 years) Brother machine.

Curtis and Dani Welton says:

1. Viking 118
    2. I love that it is so user friendly. I even have a cheat sheet attached to my machine that shows you what foot to use for each stich, and suggestions to what stich lengh and width for different stiches. I don't know what I would do without that.
    3. I don't like how heavy it is. I just started taking a sewing class and packing it in and out of my car isn't the easiest thing.
    4. $300

I love my sewing machine :)

Deanna says:

Bernina Virtuosa 153, Quilter's Edition
    I love the auto button hole, the huge stitch selection (which I havent even begun to play with , and I've had it for 8 years, and sew regularly!)
    My least favorite feature is the plastic cover without a bottom (to protect the machine) and the plastic machine body. All the parts are great Swiss engineering :)
    I received it from my parents as my HS grad gift, and 8 years ago it cost them upwards of $1200. It's has some fun computer options that I am embarrassed to say I haven't tried yet.

I LOVE my machine!

LeAnne says:

Singer 7462

Easy to use, blanket stitch, top drop in bobbin, and you can adjust the stitch width

I hate that the needle doesn't stop in the down position. This is something I didn't realize was even an option in machines till recently.

$150…HSN special :)

Scrappy Gifts says:

1. Brother CS6000i
    2.lots of stitch options, easy to thread needle (major help for me), user friendly manual
    3. not sure yet – usually it's my own lack of knowledge with a sewing machine
    4. bought it 2 years ago for a little less than $200.

sweettooth7 says:

I use a Singer 99k from 1954. It was my grandmother's machine. It only has a straight stitch, but you can buy different feet if you need other things. The free motion foot was only $8.50
    I love the simplicity of the machine. I've had to teach myself to sew and this machine is very forgiving.
    The only thing I don't like is that there is not very much room between the arm and the needle of the machine.

Katy and Ross says:

Found you through a Friday Follow blog and LOVE your blog! Can't wait to read more!

Care says:

Bernina Activa 135 S (it also says it's the "Patchwork Edition")

I has not and likely will not ever die! Lots of stitch options, automatic buttonholes, needle threader… ETC!

The only thing I could ever hope for (on any machine, really) is some kind of indicator to tell me when my BOBBIN IS ABOUT TO RUN OUT!! ;o) Could someone invent that for me?

I originally paid — deep breath — about $1K. YIKES! But it has served me well, and will for many, many more years. I cannot imagine ever using another machine!

~Crystal~ says:

1. Singer Quilter Confidence – 7469Q
    2. It has so many stitches (98). It's supposed to be for quilters I guess, but I'm definitely not a quilter. Still all the options available are fabulous for the many projects I do. I LOVE it!
    3. Something that's a little annoying; well the machine I used growing up had the option to move the needle to the right or to the left without doing the zigzag stitch. This one doesn't have that option. But that's way minor 'cause of course I can just move my fabric.
    4. It was on sale at Joanne's before Thanksgiving, then it went further on sale before Christmas. We got it for somewhere around $250. Super steal!

Gwen says:

Elna TX Electronic

Seriously, there is nothing that I don't like about this machine. I have never even had to use the manual because it is so easy to use. No oiling, not too heavy, great.

It isn't goat proof though. LOL, I did have to replace the pneumatic foot when my goat chewed through the tiny hose.

I can't remember what it was used a million years ago when I bought it, but Ebay has them for about $900.

I only saw one other Elna in all of the comments. Bummer, they are great.

Farzana says:

lol@ not goat proof. im gonna check out this model, thanks for the review and the joke!

• 96.1.1
        IMO says:

I’d NEVER buy a machine that wasn’t goat-proof! That’s one of the first things I look for!
        OMG you’re funny, Gwen!

Leslie says:

Brother CS-6000i
    I love that it is soooo simple to use! And, it has so many stich options…most of which I've never tried!
    I haven't found anything that I do't really like about it.

Sarah says:

1. Singer 1120
    2. Backstitch lever is conveniently located. Very basic. Easy-load bobbin.
    3. The bobbin winder broke after a few months and never really worked well before it broke. I use a Side Winder now.
    4. <$100

I would definitely recommend this machine for beginners and beyond, as it has many useful stitch options and is easy to use. Plus, at less than $100, it's not much of a loss if you decide you hate sewing. However, if you decide you love sewing, you will have yourself a great little machine for not a lot of dough. I have sewn likely over 100 items so far with no significant problems.

CeruleanCharm says:

WOW so many machines!
    I got a basic beginner's.
    It comes with a Martha Stewart recommendation and a free subscription to her magazine (i don't like her but she's got some cool stuff)
    AND it was only $89 +tax
    It has been wonderful. Really easy, the only mess ups have been my own mistakes. 22 stitches, perfect for a crafter like me, not needing a big fancy hardcore one.
    I have pictures of my Singer, and talk about it here:

Michelle says:

Brother CS-80. Bought it at Costco about 5 years ago after my dog sat on the pedal of my Bernina while I was sewing. It burned out the motor of the 20 year old machine.

Reliable and inexpensive.

No real complaints.

IMO says:

You should introduce your dog to Gwen’s goat (see comment #96)….and put them both in another room while you sew!