Re-purposing: Short Sleeve to Long, Part II

Well, I transformed a short sleeved shirt into a long sleeved for our little guy……but I needed a girly one too. And this time I had an old shirt to use for the sleeves and bottom, so really, this cost me nothing.

I hope it’s cooler weather today.

So I used the same concept and instructions as the tutorial here.

And I cut the sleeves out of the sleeves of the bigger shirt, so that I wouldn’t have to hem the bottom of the sleeves.

And then I just made that little flower the same way that I made the flower from the tutorial here. I just used less fabric so that it would be less bulky. And I just attached it right to the shirt with needle and thread. Nice and snug.

Perfect way to extend the life of those short-sleeved shirts.

***Edited to add: I made some matching capri’s for this top here. Go check it out.

Filed under Baby, Children, Clothing, Re-purposing, Sewing

Comments

21 Responses to “Re-purposing: Short Sleeve to Long, Part II”
    Bethany says:

Just want to say that I think you're fabulous. Fabulously creative and inspiring. Thank you for your great pictures and tutorials. I am a sewing IDIOT and I always feel like I can try things after you've shown how. So thanks. :)

Erin says:

so cute! i will be making a bunch of these for my kids in the next few weeks… fall is close in NC! hooray!

Kari @ Ucreate says:

GENIUS IDEA!! I'll be featuring today!

Vintage Dutch Girl says:

That is fantabulous! Thank you for the idea….I have a quickly growing but skinny almost 3 yr old and was not looking forward to having to buy all new fall clothes…especially since his summer t's are adorable!

Off to start sewing…

Mauri says:

Adorable! Love the undershirt part, such a fun pattern. Thanks for your tutorials. You've got such great ideas.

~*Liz*~ says:

Absolutely ADORABLE. Gotta try this at naptime today! Thank you. :)

Me and My Family says:

very cute! I love this idea. I am so surprised at how clean that white Tee is though. I don't know if I'd be able to extend the life of many of my daughters white shirts. :)

Cynthia says:

great idea!!! my kids are long & lean so this will be perfect for their shirts. thanks!

Jamie Lynn says:

Great idea! Love it! I'm going to try! Thanks for sharing!
    Jamie
    lovelongtime.blogspot.com
    maddiemackdesigns.blogspot.com

laura jones says:

this is super cute. i love the pattern on the long sleeve shirt & the little flower is awesome.

Jewls says:

Awesome! I'm totally going to do that to some of MY old shirts that are too short to wear! Glad I didn't toss them yet!

Tater Tot Mom says:

This is such a great idea and with my boy sprouting up like nobody's business this is perfect for us. I LOVE the idea of using a bigger shirt for the material. Knit is so expensive to buy off the bolt. This way I can use something I was going to donate or troll Goodwill.

Great idea!

Jared and Delia says:

I like the girl one even better…to bad I just have boys!

I tried this on one of my boy's shirts and it was so easy. I didn't have enough jersey left over for the bottom but it was a little longer to begin with. I plan on posting it and crediting you…sometime this week.

michelle@somedaycrafts says:

If only….. I could start the list of "IF only" statements about If only I was more like you. Awesome as usual.

Valerie says:

I just have to say how much I LOVE your blog. I've made several things using your tutorials and get tons of comments on how cute/clever they are (of course I tell them where I got the instructions…You're so creative) and I check every day for something new. You're awesome!! Thanks for sharing your brain!

Richardson's Randoms says:

Super cute, SUPER CLEVER!! Thanks so much for sharing.
    ~Kimberly

Bertie says:

I love it!! I will definitely have to try something like that out:) Thanks!!

Zimms Zoo says:

I was just gien a HUGE bag of t-shirts. I cut them all up to make the short-to-long sleeve shirts and some pants for my little girl. Thanks for some great ideas to stretch budget.

Alaina says:

Such a cute idea!

Lila Jo says:

That is so creative! I love it – I just wish my girls wouldn't stain all of their clothes before they outgrow them!

Heather says:

awesome idea. I enjoy re-purposing clothing myself. love you blog. so many ideas.

visit mine for lots of tutorials: