Jelly Bean Jar Decor

I can’t stop.

I am just loving the bright colors in my home. I need some light…….and for today, this just hit the spot. And put a little grin on my face. Plus, it’s a jar of sweetness. It’s hard to keep my little fingers out of the jar. (Forget about my little Elli trying to sneak some……I need to watch myself.)

I saw this idea in several different magazines and just knew I needed to add it to the spring-time decor.

I just bought some Starburst brand Jelly Beans (Small and Vibrant colors) and separated the colors. Then I just dumped them in, color by color. (This was 2 bags worth.)

And placed them right next to some tulips. Remember how they are my absolute favorite?? I wish we could plant them here but we are renting. Do tulips do okay in pots? I might have to try that this year. (Let me know if you have any idea…)

By the way, I love all the comments. Not just sort of……but a lot. I love to hear what you are all doing and what works for you. I get all of them. Even the ones that are from a really old post. All new comments are sent to my email. So thanks!

Happy Weekend.

Filed under Holiday, Home Decor, No Sew

Comments

24 Responses to “Jelly Bean Jar Decor”
    Diane says:

Yummy! That looks scrumptious. I think I would have to use about 10 bags to keep my jar full. Starburst jelly beans are THE BEST too! Hands down. You can pot tulips. You can also force them if you want them at random times of the year. I can’t remember exactly how, but I know part of the process is putting the bulbs in the freezer…it makes them think that the ‘ground’ froze, and then you do something else, and they’ll grow. :) You can do that with any kind of bulb. I can get the whole process for you if you want. :)

Lisa says:

I just found your blog and I LUUUUUVVVVV it! It makes me excited to get out my grandma’s old sewing machine and re-learn how to sew! Your tut’s are awesome. So easy to follow. I am so excited to make tutu for my little neice! She will be excited too! Anyway, thanks so much for all your hard work and your generosity! Very Cool!

The Mortensens says:

That is SO cute, and so simple… who knew? I would love to try this, however, I’m afraid I would literally eat the whole jar and tell my kids that they couldn’t have any! : ) Thanks for your fun website, I check it daily to see what you’ll come up with next, what a talent you have!

The Jones Family says:

Oh yeah! Now I can contribute more to this friendship of passing along tips. I know all about tulips.

Sarah (Team Chilton) says:

I absolutely LOVE that everything you do is simple and 99% of the time I have these things I love it! I hope your blog is succeeding because you totally make my day!

Henderson Family says:

Hmmm starburst jelly beans. I may just do that. YUM.

Julie says:

What an adorable idea!! I might have to do something like this for sure! We need more spring decor! :o)
    As for the tulips, they are one of my favs too, my husband got me some potted tulips of V-day and they didn’t last too long, I’m not sure if it’s because they were potted in sand, or if they just dont’ last long in a pot, or if where we got them from had the idea of them not lasting long?? I have no idea.

Merrick says:

I don’t really like jellybeans, so this would be PERFECT for my house! So colorful and pretty, and no temptation at all :) I think I might have to try it out! thanks for the idea.

jodi says:

How do you stop yourself from eating them? ;)

Heidi says:

What a cute idea! I love your blog, I came across it from a friend’s page (or was it a friend of a friend of a friend??). Anyway, I had a question, I want to buy a sewing machine because I love all of the projects you have made, but I don’t have the budget for a huge full grown sewing machine. Are you familiar with the mini-machines? If so, what would you recommend?

THE LEWIS' says:

So i just have to say i love your blog. i love it so much that i posted on my blog about your blog. Funny thing is i dont even know you. i hope you dont mind, but i invited everyone on my blog to come and check yours out. i will keep you posted if i try out any of your fun and SUPER cute ideas. thanks for having this amazing blog.

Jenny says:

Super cute idea! So I have a couple random questions. The tulips in your picture looked like they were in water, so they are obviously real. But I’m wondering if I could do fake flowers instead. I would love to add some color to my home using flowers, but I’m too cheap to go buy real ones. Any advice on using fake ones so they don’t look totally fake?

becki.campbell says:

Okay, I saw some tulips in a pot at Walmart so you might be able to! Cute idea though! (PS I finally made my tea towel bag and I LOVE it!)

So Jodi, to keep from eating the jelly beans, just keep a bowl of chocolate around and then you won’t even touch the beans. Genius idea, right?? ;o)

Lewis’- Thanks for sharing the blog. Of course I don’t care one bit. In fact, I would love for everyone to.

Heidi – You know, I haven’t heard a lot of good things about the mini machines. I know they are cheaper but they can’t sew through a lot. But I hear ya on the budget thing. :o) However, you could probably find a refurbished one around town. (I’m not sure where you live……but I’m assuming) Sewing stores would know of a place to find older refurbished ones. Also, you don’t have to buy a super fancy one. There are plenty that are in the $80-$100 range that work awesome for these kinds of projects.

Oh and Jenny, you TOTALLY caught me. Those tulips are fake. They kind of look real and I really WANTED them to be real. SO I just put some water in with them. I don’t leave water in them because I don’t want to get moldy. But it was for the picture. But, I am no pro at silk-flower-buying. I just bought some that look “kind of” real. And the leaves are stiff and not just the flimsy stuff. And the petals actually hold their shape. Does that help?

Ooh, and Diane, thanks for the tulip advice.

I’ll be calling you Brittany….:o)

Anyway, I hope I got all of the questions. Glad you guys are having fun!!!

Holli says:

I love, love, love your blog! I could get into some serious crafting trouble if I hung around you too long! Your ideas are precious!

Diane says:

I just thought I should let you know that I really did buy 4 bags of starburst jellybeans tonight when I was at the store. They came out with tropical and sour flavored ones…I just couldn’t resist. Thanks a lot! Now it’s all your fault when I get sick off of too much sugar. ;) lol! J/K!

Kara says:

Thank you so much! I love this idea. I have a jar and I’ve been deciding what to put in it to help me finish decorating my baby’s nursery. This would be a great idea! Although my husband LOVES Starburst Jellybeans, so he might be the one stealing them. (BTW, I love the idea of putting out chocolate to keep from eating the jelly beans. That would definitely work for me)

Scott and Stef Kelly says:

So genius! I love it! You are so stinking creative!

[email protected] says:

Gorgeous! I’m loving your colors. I’ll be linking.

Nate and Taryn says:

I love the home decor ideas! It’s always hard to decorate on a budget and I would LOVE more ideas! Thanks!

Maria, I guess I can only share with you what I have used……and that's not a lot. I would say that spending about $100 on a machine is a good start. If you have more to spend, look at the machines in the $200 range and that will give you a machine with plenty of extras but not too complicated. And there's no need to buy an extremely nice one if you'll never use all of the features. I have heard really nice things about a variety of brands but I like and use a Singer. It's a Singer Precision and it does a great job.

Here's a link…. http://www.amazon.com/Singer-Stitch-Function-Sewing-Machine/dp/B000E26HHO/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1238940774&sr=8-1)

I have had it for more than 2 years and it still works great. And I use it a lot and sew through some thick stuff sometimes and it still purrs. And it has several stitches so that I can add some detail to things. My favorite is using these stitches on the edges of baby blankets. You just sit there and guide the needle as it does ALL the work. It's great. I have found on the cheaper machines, that it's harder to keep the tension right and your seams tend to go haywire. When you're learning, it's hard enough to make things perfect look straight and nice, without fighting with a stubborn machine. That's just my opinion. I have heard good things about Kenmore and Brother.

Also, it doesn't have to be in the price range I gave you to be a nice machine. They just tend to be a little nicer up in that range. But look around and compare prices and read the amazon reviews. I do that for everything and love it.

If you have any other questions, please ask. I'll tell you as far as I know.

Good luck……you won't regret getting one!!!!

Rowberry Family says:

O my heck, I just found your website and it is so AMAZING! You have so many fun Ideas that I can actually do. They are so easy and so creative and mostly simple! I dont have that great of sewing skills, but Iam sure I can manage some of these! Your ideas are awesome, keep them coming! -rOXANNA

J.A.W.S says:

What a wonderful idea! Spring time is my favorite time of year. This is a fun and pretty way to decorate on a budget. Love it!